XIII

Taking Chances...

13 


     Kai welcomes himself in at Chanyeol's home, entering the mansion as if it is his own house. The maids didn't mind him though since they all knew who Kai is and it's Sunday. And Sunday means him dropping by at the said household. It's been a habit of Kai to drop by at his friend's house every Sunday ever since... well he can't remember.

He immediately rushes to Chanyeol's bedroom knocking furiously at the door. He doesn't usually knock but out of respect (yeah as if knocking furiously isn't disrespectful enough Kim Kai). He frowns when his knocks weren't answered. Doing what he usually does, he held onto the door knob turning it, letting himself in. The sight of a quiet empty bedroom welcomes him. Thinking that Chanyeol might be showering at the moment, he stood silently waiting to hear the sound of flowing water.

There's none.

He frowns once more as he went out of the bedroom. Where the hell is Chanyeol? He hasn't heard anything from the tall guy for the past few days. He also didn't answer his calls and messages. He shook his head in disappointment and dragged himself downstairs. He decided to just go home and heads to Chanyeol’s house main door.

He is about three feet away from the door when it suddenly opens stopping him dead on his tracks.  A few seconds after, an angel emerges from it. Am I On Heaven? The said angel approached him.

"Jongin! Nice to see you here." Kyungsoo waved happily at him.

"H-hyung!" He stutters. "What are you doing here?" He added, so Kyungsoo won't notice.

"I could ask you the same Jongin." Kyungsoo smiles. "But seriously, I'm here to see Chanyeol. Is he at home?"

Kai's heart flutters at the sight before him. Kyungsoo still looks magnificent after all this time. And the way his lips turn into a heart shape when he smiles never fails to mesmerize him.

"Jongin?"

He is snap back from his trance and saw Kyungsoo's face inches away from him. He yelpd in surprise as he step backwards. "W-what?"

Kyungsoo chuckles. "I asked if Chanyeol's home."

"Oh!” Kai pulls himself together. “Well, apparently the tall guy is nowhere to be found. I don't really know what's with him lately." He replies. heaving a sigh.

Just then one of the house staff whom Kai recognized walk inside from living room. "Hey! Luhan right?" He calls out. The said guy nods and walked in his and Kyungsoo's directions. "Do you know where Chanyeol is?"

Luhan nods once again before replying. "Sir Chanyeol said if that someone goes looking for him, he said to tell them he's with Baekhyun."

That prick! So he's with Baekhyun. Kai thought, grinning.

"Baekhyun? The coffee shop guy?" Kyungsoo butts in.

"Yes. Chanyeol's kind of taken a liken to him." Kai nods in confirmation. He then turns his attention back to Luhan. "Thank you. You may go now." He smiles, politely dismissing him.

As Luhan excused himself, Kai stares back at Kyungsoo. ”Ah hyung, I’m going now also. It’s nice seeing you.” He bows, albeit awkwardly turning his heels away from Kyungsoo. As much as he wants to be with Kyungsoo all day, he just can’t. Not if his heart is acting weird.

“Wait Jongin!” Kyungsoo called.

Kai turns back to look at Kyungsoo. “Yes hyung?”

“Are you busy today?”

“Not really hyung, I’m actually heading home now. Why?”

“Uhmmm… Could we perhaps, spend the day together? You know we haven’t really caught with each other up since I arrived. So…”

Kai’s heart feels like exploding. Kyungsoo’s asking him out. Like on a date. He quickly pushes away the thoughts. “Sure… I guess?” He agrees, trying to hide all the excitement inside him. Kyungsoo skipped happily to his place and snakes an arm to his own. He feels like dying (of happiness of course).

 

The two guys ended up on a nearby mall. Turns out Kyungsoo went to see Chanyeol to ask him to accompany him to buy some stuff for the newly arrived guy’s apartment. Kai frowned at this, playfully telling the older that he should ask him first. Kyungsoo just laughed at this making Kai frown more.

“So hyung, what do you want to get first?” Jongin asks.

“Let’s go look for some couch first.” Kyungsoo replies.

“Then couch it is.”

Kai lead Kyungsoo to the couch store (well actually it’s a furniture store since it has everything from bed to desks, from couches to carpets but— oh well its Kai). They entered the huge store and were welcome by a pretty saleslady.

“Good Afternoon sirs, can I help you with something?” The saleslady asked politely, eyeing Jongin flirtatiously.

Kai smiled and is about to say something to the girl when Kyungsoo nudge him in the side.

“We’ll just look around first then if there’s something we like we’ll just call for assistance.” Kyungsoo said coldly. Kai is then pulled deeper inside the store by Kyungsoo much to his surprise.

“Hyung you’re acting weird.” He offhandedly remarks.

Kyungsoo turns around to face him, looking serious. “We’re here to buy furnitures Jongin, not to flirt.”

“Woah woah woah, who told you I’m flirting?” Kai asks eyes widening in surprise.

 “Whatever Kim Jongin.”

Kyungsoo scoffs leaving him behind. He couldn’t comprehend what exactly just happened but he felt giddy inside when something popped out of his mind. Is hyung jealous? He grin as he run up to Kyungsoo.

Ten minutes to their couch hunting, Kai saw Kyungsoo stopped at an elegant black and white couch set.

“Hyung do you like this?” He asks the older.

“Yeah, I quite like it.” Kyungsoo replied examining the couch. “This will compliment my wallpaper in the living room. What do you think?”

“It sure looks great hyung. But why do you need a full set? You’re living alone right?” He inquires and he sensed how Kyungsoo tensed up.

“Uhmmm. Jongin can you please approached one of the salesladies. I want to get this.” Kyungsoo said not meeting Jongin’s eyes.

“Hyung, are you okay?” He questions worriedly.

“Of course I am.” Kyungsoo smiles.

“Are you sure?”

“Yes I am. Now get someone so we can run along. We haven’t got all day.” Kyungsoo chuckles and Kai complied, scratching his nape in confusion.

Minutes later, Jongin came back with the same lady that welcomed them earlier. Both laughing and talking to each other. Jongin’s heart started to beat furiously again when Kyungsoo spoke the most shocking word he always dream of hearing from the older guy.

Honey! What took you so long?” Kyungsoo pouts.

Jongin and the saleslady awkwardly get away from each other. Kai went to Kyungsoo’s left side while the saleslady cleared asking what she can do for them.

“I want to get these.” Kyungsoo said to the saleslady pointing to the couch set. The saleslady nods and asked to follow her to the counter to fill some papers.

Once the saleslady was out of earshot, Kai gather his courage to ask the older about the scene earlier. “Hyung what was that about?”

“….”

“Hyung?”

“….”

“Fine!” Kai walked passed Kyungsoo and headed for the counter.

 

After filling up the necessary papers and paying, the store staff told them that the couch will be delivered in a week’s time. Hearing this, Kai exited the store first leaving Kyungsoo behind. When Kyungsoo caught up on him, he heard the older whine about him being “childish”. And that the silent treatment is not helping. Although feeling guilty, Kai couldn’t help but carry on with his act because he finds this side of Kyungsoo ‘adorable’.

Not wanting to prolong Kai’s ‘childish’ act, Kyungsoo pulled the younger into a tight hug. “Kim Jongin. Hyung is sorry for earlier. I just didn’t like you flirting with that girl. I can sense she’s not good for you. Forgive me okay? If you want, you can go back to that girl and ask her out. Just… just forgive me.” He whispers softly not caring if people are looking to them weirdly.

“Stupid hyung.” Kai chuckles. “I’m not even flirting with that girl. She’s not even my type.” He pouted when Kyungsoo let him go. “But okay, I forgive hyung.” He grins and patted the older guy’s head.

“Hey! I should be the one patting you since I’m older not the other way around.” Kyungsoo playfully punched Kai on the shoulders.

“Whatever hyung, I’m hungry. You should buy me snack since you’re the one who invited me out.” Kai said offering his hand for Kyungsoo to hold. Actually he’s feeling nervous inside and his stomach is doing a backward flip. Much to his disappointment Kyungsoo didn’t took his hand but rather latched his arms to him.

“Let’s go.”

 

 

“So hyung, what’s life like in Canada?” Kai asks Kyungsoo casually. Fortunately his heart had calmed down for some time now. And they found themselves sitting inside an ice cream parlor waiting for their orders.

“Well, my first few months there were really difficult. You know adapting to a new culture, not to mention learning a new language. But thankfully the— nevermind.” Kyungsoo looked down and stared at the table as if it’s the most interesting thing at moment.

Although confused at Kyungsoo’s sudden changed of aura, Kai tries to save their conversation by opening up another topic. “Are you going to stay here for good?” He inquires.

“I’m still not sure but as of the moment, it looks like it.” Kyungsoo answers and flashes Kai a smile.

Their orders came cutting their conversation short. They thanked the waiter and proceedz on eating their respective answers. They ate silently for a while before Kyungsoo decided to break it.

"J-jongin, I have to tell you something. I know it’s a bit random but—"

Jongin look up from his bowl of ice cream to Kyungsoo. He began to feel uneasy when he caught Kyungsoo’s nervous face. Something's telling him that what Kyungsoo is about to tell him is a serious matter.

"Sure hyung, what is it?"

Kyungsoo took a momentarily pause as he shifted himself to a comfortable position and face Jongin.

"Jongin, I..."

 

Is he confessing? Jongin's heart begins to thump faster. No it can’t be. That’s impossible. He can’t like me. Besides he can’t just confess out of nowhere. But he did say it’s random.

 

"...like"

 

ohmygosh, he is totally confessing. Jongin bit his bottom lip for anticipation.

 

"-d to tell you that I have a boyfriend back in Canada. And he’s going to come and live with me next week." Kyungsoo finishes, eyeing Kai for some sort of reaction.

So that’s why he tensed up when I asked him if he’s living alone. I’m such an idiot expecting a confession, Kai sighs inwardly. “Oh. Congratulations hyung! I’m happy for you.” Kai smiled painfully and right there and there, his heart shattered into a million pieces.

“Thank you Jongin. I’m so worried about telling you all about this. This is actually the real reason I’m looking for Chanyeol. I wanted to tell him first but given the situation, I decided to just tell you first. It’s really been bugging me.” Kyungsoo sighed.

“It’s no big deal really. I’m sure everyone will be pleased to hear that Kyungsoo.” Kai said, bitterness evident on his tone. Fortunately, Kyungsoo seems not to notice it. He goes back to eating his ice cream.

“Is there something wrong Jongin?” Kyungsoo worriedly asked. “You called me Kyungsoo not hyung. That’s a first.”

“Hahaha? Did I hyung? Sorry it might’ve slipped out off of my mouth.” Jongin shook his head, chuckling.

“It’s okay Jongin. Do you want to watch a movie after this?” Kyungsoo ask. Happiness is all over his face. “I’ll pay!”

Save by the bell, Kai’s phone rang. He fishes out the phone from his side pocket and read the message. “I’m afraid I can’t take your invitation hyung. Mom’s looking for me. I’m sorry, maybe next time.” He said as he stood up, fixing himself. “Thanks for the treat hyung. Be careful on your way home.”

“You too. Say ‘hi’ to auntie and uncle for me Jongin.” Kyungsoo waved.

Kai gave the older guy a salute in response, earning him a chuckle from Kyungsoo. He turned his heels and heads to the parlor’s door. As soon as he turned around, he didn't bother hiding his true feelings anymore. From the happy face he gave Kyungsoo, it quickly changed to a crestfallen one. It hurts. No one will know that the message he received is nothing but just an automated message. No one will know that he only made a lame excuse to tend to his broken heart away from him. No one will know how much he is hurting right now. No one but him.

 

One heartache at a time.

 







Bet you didn't see that coming. LOL xD

Hello! I'm sorry for not updating fast. I actually finish writing this chapter yesterday but I didn't felt like posting it because it's Valentine's and yeah... I kind of broke Jongin's heart here. *don't kill me* OTL. So who's the mystery boyfriend???? HAHAHA. You'll get to know soon.

We're going back to BaekYeol for the next chapter and I will try give you some serious "ewww" fluffs there because I kind of failed to give you fluffs here. HAHA. And oh! Suho's coming back in the story soon *wiggles eyebrows*.

That's it for now. Thank you for still reading this. I love you all. Don't forget to comment your thoughts (I swear it'll make me happy) . See ya! ^^V