VIII

Taking Chances...

8


     "Hyung... why you must need to bring me along too? You could just go there by yourself."

Kai has been on this never ending complains on to why did Chanyeol had to drag him to Incheon Airport and made him drive ever since they left the Park's household. To be honest, Chanyeol doesn't really need Kai to drive him but the oppurtunity of his sweet revenge came on the perfect time. He can already imagine Kai's face the moment he drops the bomb. He grins.

Becoming aware that he's getting out of character (the annoyed and angry Chanyeol), he shoot a deadly glare to the younger,  He averts his attention back to his phone and another grin can't help but appear on his face. He sent Baekhyun a text a few minutes ago telling him how crappy his Sunday is and luckily the latter responded. It's not a crap Sunday after all, he thought. And even if Baekhyun only responded three times, it was decided that Chanyeol will drop by the coffee shop tomorrow to see the short guy.

"Chanyeol. I told you stop that weird grin of yours!" Kai, now gone back to his old self, hisses at him. Chanyeol smiles inwardly. It's not that he doesn't like the childish Kai but this; the foul-mouthed, hyperactive Kai is the Kai he prefers. Because one, it's the Kai he grew accustomed to and two, it means the world is not ending yet. 

"Whatever. Just pay your attention to the road. I don't want to die yet." He yells at him. He sees Kai roll his eyes and is about to smack him when he holds it back. Like he said, he doesn't want to die yet. So instead, he let Kai be himself throughout the drive because later, the younger will definitely go down.

 

The two friends have been waiting at the arrival lobby of Incheon Airport for about thirty minutes now. And Kai's been asking who the hell in the world this person is because he doesn't like missing parties. Chanyeol, of course shrugs, pretending not hear any of Kai's question.

After another few minutes, Chanyeol heard his name being called so he looks up and beams at the sight of the voice owner. He immediately runs and give the newly arrived person a tight hug.

"Kyungsoo!" He coos at the said boy. "How's my little brother?"

Though Kyungsoo is technically not a blood-related brother, he always treat him as his own. Kyungsoo  needed to go to Canada together with his family three years ago when Kyungsoo's father was assigned by his company there. Kyungsoo never went back to Korea for a vacation during those years so Chanyeol was ecstatic when he read the note of his mom to go and pick Kyungsoo earlier. Kyungsoo let go of the hug and eyes him from head to toe before speaking enthusiastically.

"I'm doing great and woah Chanyeol. You grew a lot. I'm jealous." Kyungsoo said with a smile.

Chanyeol just laugh in response and that's when he remembered someone. Kai! He turns around to look for Kai and to his delight, his best friend is still there in his place, not moving an inch, looking dumbfounded with mouth agape. Victory. But of course he's just starting, so he pulls Kyungsoo over Kai's place and made them face each other. He sees how Kai subtly glares at him and he in turn just smiled innocently.

"Hi. Hyung. I'm Jongin. Do you remember me?" Kai said looking anywhere but Kyungsoo.

Chanyeol has to stifle his laugh when he saw how anxious Kai's getting by the minute and actually started to feel a little bad. But then Kyungsoo decided to hug the younger at that moment and the remorse he felt earlier is instantly replaced by joy. 

"Oh Jongin. Of course I remember. You look so different now. I miss you so much. Did you miss me?  Kyungsoo asks while Kai blushes at the sudden question.

"Of course hyung, I miss you too. Welcome back" Kai replies in a whisper like voice and looked at Chanyeol, pleading for help to ease the awkwardness. But of course, enjyoing the sight, Chanyeol just gives him a two thumbs up. He snatches Kyungsoo away as soon as the latter let goes of hugging Kai and started to lead him outside the airport; purposely leaving Kai to do the works of carrying Kyungsoo's baggages. Victory indeed.

₰₰₰

Baekhyun woke up at the sound of his alarm the next day feeling quite refreshed and recharged. He had a good night sleep and he definitely had the much needed rest. He's ready to start another week.

Going through his usual morning routines; eat breakfast, take a bath, get dressed, fix hair, put shoes on, he finally let himself out,heading to the coffee shop. He arrives at his destination and  immediately spotted Suzy on the counter giving him an innocent smile.

"Good morning Baekhyun! Back for work?" She waves excitedly.

"I'm not talking to you." He hastily said. He is nowhere near angry or annoyed at Suzy for giving out his number to Chanyeol. He just wants his workmate to feel a little  bit guilty.

"Oh come on. Don't be mad." Suzy frowns and Baekhyun couldn't help but laugh.

"Just why did you gave him my number?"

"I'm sorry," She pouts. "I just felt bad for Mr. Big Ears. He always drop by to see if you're here." She explains her side.

"But still, you could've asked me first." 

"I know but I'm already saying sorry now. Can't you forgive me? Please?"

He thinks for a moment having the urge to drag the act until his shift ended for the day. But Suzy is trying to look cute and all trying to ask for forgiveness and he can't stand the sight, so he said 'fine' and disappears to the backroom to his locker. He went back to the counter after changing to his unform then helps himself a coffee readying himself for a long day.

 

It is a little after three in the afternoon when a tall lanky guy enters the coffee shop together with four others.

"Oh. Look who's here." Suzy jumps excitedly nudging Baekhyun on the side.

He look up and immediately recognizes Chanyeol and Kai and the two others who he hasn't learned the name yet. And there's another one. He really did go to see him. Interesting.

"Hi. Baekhyun! It's so nice to see you again. How are you?" Chanyeol smiles at him showing a perfect set of teeth that could pass up as model teeth on toothpaste commercial.

"Hey. I'm good. What can I get you today and for your friends?" He greets back.

"The usual."

Baekhyun gave Chanyeol a confused look because honestly he didn't know what his usual order. Suzy quickly takes over manning the counter because apparently she knows the usual as she punches the orders. She stops at the fourth order and look up to Chanyeol before gesturing at the wide-eyed boy behind.

"Right. Kyungsoo what do you like?" Chanyeol asks Kyungsoo.

"Same as yours." Kyungsoo replies.

Suzy then proceeded to punch the last order before handing the counter back to Baekhyun again.

"That's 19,000." Baekhyun informs. The tall guy handed him a few bills and after giving him his change and the receipt, he told Chanyeol that he'll just bring over their orders.

The group went away and settle themselves in a table near the glass wall and happily continued on chatting. Back at the counter, Suzy happily pokes Baekhyun on the cheeks.

"Hey. So you're contacting with each other now?"

"Who?" He deadpans.

"Oh please. You know who I am talking about."

Just when did Suzy get so nosy? Last time he checked she's a workmate not a sister. "Forget it because I'm not talking about that. Now get back to work before our boss kick us out."

 

Baekhyun delivered Chanyeol and his friends' orders as soon as Suzy finished preparing them. He carefully places the cups on the table not minding five set of eyes staring back at him. After putting the last cup on the table, he gives them a slight bow and mumbles his usual, 'if you need anything; I'm just in the counter'. He turn his heels to go back to the counter when a hand takes a hold of his right wrist. He looks back to see Chanyeol smiling at him.

"Hey guys. This is Baekhyun, my new friend." Chanyeol starts and made him face the four other guys. "And Baekhyun that is Sehun," he points at a blonde boy at the farthest sit, "that's Kris next to him, and I think you already know Kai and last but not the least, Kyungsoo."

Baekhyun smiles and bows at them, mutter a 'nice to meet you all'. The four guys returns the introduction with their own bows and smile. "I should go back to the counter. Just call me if you needed something." He said not wanting to prolong the building awkwardness inside him. The customers all nodded in understanding and he gives them one last bow before walking away. He sees Suzy eyeing him from the distance, obviously trying to get him to talk but he shakes his head and mouths 'Don't even get started.'

 

An hour passed by and Baekhyun saw Chanyeol’s group standing up from their chairs gathering their cups of coffee, ready to leave. One by one Kai, Sehun, Kris and Kyungsoo gave him a friendly smile as they passed by him before exiting of the coffee shop. But where's Chanyeol? He averts his gaze back to the group's table and sess Chanyeol still on his chair not moving an inch. He goes to the table to ask the giant why, even though it's not really his concern. 

"Hey. Aren't you leaving?" He taps the back of Chanyeol to earn his attention.

"Not yet." Chanyeol grins at him. "What time does your shift end?"

He gives him a questionable look but answers anyway. "7:30. Why?"

"I just want to take you out for a meal or something."

Baekhyun freezes for a second. He let's out a simple 'oh' before remembering to answer the giant with real words. "I'm sorry Chanyeol. I have work after this. The club?" He explains his hide. He's actually going to say yes if not for the said reason. Chanyeol isnt fazed though for he kept the grin intact and told him he'll get him there.

"You don't have to. It's only half past four. I don't want you to wait up." He said sounding very concern.

"It's okay. I'll just walk around outside then pick you up at 7:30. Okay? And nope, I'm not taking no for an answer."

 "Fine." Baekhyun sighs in resignation.

₰₰₰

"You really don't have to do this you know. I can go at the club myself."

Chanyeol and Baekhyun is now walking side by side on their way to the latter's second workplace. Baekhyun is feeling a bit awkward with the giant by his side not because of their height difference but because this setting is all new to him. Chanyeol on the other hand is walking merrily, wide smile still plastered on his goofy face not giving a damn if he scares some people.

"I know. But I want to." Chanyeol shrugs.

"Why?"

"Why not?"

This shuts Baekhyun off and he opted to just spend the rest of the trip in silence. When they finally got sight of the club, Baekhyun stops walking followed by  Chanyeol. "I can go here Chanyeol. You could go home now. Thanks for taking me here." He thanks the giant sincerely. Because honestly? Who is he to receive this treatment from someone who barely knows him?

"If you say so." Chanyeol nods in understanding. "But can we go on a meal tomorrow?" Baekhyun shook his head in response. Chanyeol getting the message tries again. "How about Saturday?"

"I have work too on Saturday."

"Then Sunday?" Chanyeol tries once more feeling hopeful.

Baekhyun thinks for a while. Sunday is his day-off, would he rather rest or go with Chanyeol.

"I guess Sunday's fine." He finally said. Chanyeol's face went from bright to super bright and for a moment he felt like he became Sunako and feared that he'll go nosebleed soon. 

"Looking forward to Sunday then! See you around Baekhyun." Chanyeol waves happily before walking away from him.

 







Of course I'll apologize again for updating so late. So many distractions at the moment. >< Kyungsoo just arrived. hehe. Yay for blooming KaiSoo. <3 Back to our main characters... Chanyeol is sooo head over heels with Baekhyun. Ohhh. a date is coming. Or is it really a date? I don't know. lol. 
Anyway, if you're wondering who the fudge Sunako is, she's from Yamato Nadeshiko one of my favorite manga and anime of all time. 
Hi to my new subs. ^^V And to all my subs, Thank you for keeping up with this story. 
Please look forward to the next update. Bye bye. :D