III

Taking Chances...

3


     Baekhyun was the last staff to leave the club. He glances at his wristwatch to check the time. 2:37 AM. He mentally groaned. Great! Guess I’m not getting any sleep again, he thought. He stretches out a little bit feeling the cold air beneath his skin. He looked up at the sky to see if the stars he saw earlier were still there. He grins to himself as the little lights twinkles back at him.

He makes his way home by  foot because although he has en extra money for transportation, subways are closed, taxis are expensive. It being poor.

After a long slow walk, Baekhyun finally arrived on his flat. He places the key on the doorknob and quietly went it. His flat is a one room type. And by that, it means one room, literally. Oh, if you exclude the bathroom by the way. His place is small but it's home.

He unrolls his futon on the floor and throws his body on it; too tired to even go wash and change to a proper sleeping outfit. He checks the time once more. It says 3:15. He pouts. He needs to wake up as early as 7 AM to go to his other work. After that, he’ll go straight to school to attend a lecture. Again, it being poor. He closes his eyes and tries calming up his mind. It did not take long for Baekhyun to board a ship and eventually sails to dreamland.

₰₰₰

When Chanyeol wakes up the next morning he found his three friends on the dining room. “You three again!” He groans. “Why are you here?”

“Good morning to you too.” Kai sarcastically said. He went to Chanyeol and mockingly hugged the giant. “Of course we’re here to pick you up, honey.”

Chanyeol rolls his eyes. “Get off me. You Punk! It’s gross.”

Kai didn’t let go.

“Jongin, if you don’t let me go, I’ll tell your biggest secret to everyone.”

Kai without hesitation let go of his friend with a flustered face. Kris and Sehun eyed him. “What?” He shot back. The two shurgs before looking away.

The rest of the morning was spent with Kai being quiet the whole time in full surprise of his friends. Such a great morning, Chanyeol inwardly grins.

₰₰₰

Baekhyun woke up at the sound of his alarm. Rubbing his eyes, he reaches for his phone to stop the little devil. He stands up, cracking his bones a little be then rolls the futone neatly, shoving it to the side. He opens his drawer to get some clean clothes and heads to the bathroom.

He felt refreshed when he came out of the bathroom. He’s all dressed now but his hair is still messy and wet. He sat in the floor and reached out for a box beside his drawer and took out a blow dryer. He carefully styled his hair to perfection. If there’s anything in the world he can’t stand, it’s his hair being messy. Hell, he’s already poor the least he can do is not to look unattractive. When satisfied with his hair, he stood up and cleaned up his hairs products. He grabbed his coat, wallet and phone and put on his shoes. With that, he’s off to his day work.

After getting off the subway (he's too tired to walk), Baekhyun needs to walk another five minutes to get to his workplace. No wonder he’s fit and all without the need of go to gym. Not that kind of fit which muscles are popping everywhere but fit as in healthy.

He finds himself in front of a coffee shop not long after and pushes the door open. The familiar sound of the chimes tickles his ear as he walks in inside. He is immediately greeted by a girl in his age.

“Good morning Baekhyun.” She smiles. “You’re thirty minutes early.”

It’s true. His shift does not start until 9 AM. And even though he didn't get enouhgh sleep, he still have some school work left to do and he wanted a free delicious coffee so he decided to come early. Also, he loves the peaceful surrounding of the coffee shop and its aromatic smell. It always makes him in the mood for studying.

“Good morning Suzy.” He returns her smile. “I’ve got some school stuffs left to work on so I went here early. Can I get a coffee?”

“Suit yourself.”

₰₰₰

Chanyeol mentally face-palms himself the moment he got into Kris’s car. Kai ultimately went back to his normal self again and is now dancing non-stop like an ugly snail (with all due respect, Spongebob's Gary).

“Jongin! For goodness sake, stop! It’s 10 in the morning. Give me some peace.”

But of course knowing Kai, he didn’t stop. He instead dance a bit more uglier and before he knew it he's already shouting at the top of his lungs.

“GUYS DID YOU KNOW THAT JONGIN HERE HAS A HUGE, AND BY THAT I MEAN A REALLY HUGE CRUSH ON MY GODBROTHER KYUNGSOO?”

He screamed the words like there's no tomorrow leaving his three friends dumbfounded. It is silent for a while but it did not linger when a fist gracefully meets his left cheek. Well that escalated quickly.

Chanyeol rubs the side of his cheeks, hissing in pain. “That hurts.” He glares at Kai.

“Serve you right.” Kai glared back.

Kris and Sehun just laugh as usual. But this is normal for them. They never hold grudge or whatever, that’s their brocode. Chanyeol shook his head, still feeling the pain Kai's fist brought to his jaw. He closes his eyes. “Kris, pull-over to the next coffee shop you see. I desperately need a coffee right now.” It happened very fast. One second he's tending to his abused jaw, the next his because another set of pain is felt to his right cheek. “What the hell Kris? Why did you hit the break suddenly? Didn’t you see I’m not in my seatbelt?”

Kris looked at him innocently trying to suppress his laugh. He pointed out to Chanyeol’s side window, “You said pull-over at the next coffee shop I see. There’s your coffee shop.”

 

“Nice one Kris.” Kai commented after Chanyeol went out of the car slamming the door in the process. They high-fived each other, hooting in laughter for their friend's misfortune.  “Let’s go follow Mr. Grumpy. I want coffee too.” 

₰₰₰

The chime of the coffee shop rings signaling a new customer just came in. Baekhyun looks up, ready to greet the customer when he recognizes the guy's face. You've got to be kidding me! It hasn't even been 24 hours yet I'm going to deal with the oof again, he said to himself. He drags himself behind the counter, accepting the fact that he has to face the guy. He clears his throat to make his voice stable.

“Good morning sir. What can I possibly serve you?” It’s clear that Chanyeol still hasn’t recognize him since the guy is still busy studying the menu. Wow he’s really tall, he mentally took note.

“I’ll have… hmmm.” 

‘Don’t tell me you want water again.” He said neutrally and saw how Chanyeol's face went from confused to a complete shock.

 

“Oh, it’s you.”

 







I'm feeling generous today. lol. Two updates in one day. :D Didn't proof-read this so excuse me for the errors. HAHA.