XII

Taking Chances...

12


    The drive to Baekhyun’s house is incredibly awkward. Well—for Chanyeol’s part that is. There’s no talking happening so far between them except the time where he asked for Baekhyun’s address. But after that, they were enveloped into an agonizing silence. He tried so many times to initiate a conversation but as soon as he opens his mouth he would quickly close it unsure whether the shorter guy wants to talk to him or not. He’s definitely terrified and he doesn’t know why.

But since he's not used of being so quiet (if you’re friends with Jongin you know why) Chanyeol decided to try and talk to the guy beside him once more. He searches his brain for a possible topic but to his dismay, all it gave him nothing but trash. He frowned at his unsuccessful attempt but then at last! Finally something snaps inside his head, a good excuse to talk to Baekhyun.

“Hey.” he started awkwardly and Baekhyun turned to look at him. “Remember the doctor said you should rest.”

It’s a lame excuse for him to get Baekhyun to talk but it doesn’t matter now. He just wanted to make the awkward air around them disappear.

“If only I can do that Chanyeol.” Baekhyun sighs. “But I can’t. I need to work.”

He turns at Baekhyun with a horrified look. Part of his brain is telling him that he did a good job on asking the question. He can’t let Baekhyun abuse his not-so-well body. He can’t afford to make Baekhyun go back to his work when Doctor Lee clearly said he needs to rest. Despite the fact something’s telling him it’s not his business—oh wait, of course it is his business! He likes Baekhyun and he’ll do everything to protect him.

So resorting to the first thing that popped out of his mind, he turns his car to a different direction. Baekhyun not quite sure what’s happening, glances at him; confused look.

“Uhmmm. Chanyeol, you’re going to the wrong way. This is not the way to my place” Baekhyun politely informs Chanyeol.

 “I know.” Chanyeol replies, lips pressed into thin line..

“Then why are—“

“I’m bringing you to my house.”

Now it’s Baekhyun’s turn to look horrified. “What??? Oh no no no. Please stop the car. Chanyeol please.” He pleads.

“No. I will bring you to my house and make sure you rest.” Chanyeol responded in a deep voice overpowering Baekhyun’s pleading.

“Please Chanyeol. I… You don’t have to do this. I can take care of myself. Please, just turn this car and drop me on my own place. Please.”

Chanyeol, not really happy seeing Baekhyun in this state tried making a deal out with the latter. “Fine. But in one condition.” He looked at Baekhyun trying to intimidate the shorter guy. “You’re going to rest for, let’s say at least four days before you return to work.”

“I can’t Chanyeol. I’ll lose my job and –“

“Then you’re going to my place. Period.”

That statement both shut them up. Chanyeol isn’t sure if he made the right thing but its only way. He knows what he just did may add from Baekhyun’s stress but as long as he protects him then he’ll resort to anything even if that means kidnapping him. He carefully eyed Baekhyun on his side, trying to figure out what the shorter guy has on its mind. After a few minutes, he heard Baekhyun spoke but he didn’t hear it clearly.

“Can you repeat that again?’

“I said, fine, I promise I’ll rest so can you please turn around the car and drop me to my place?” Baekhyun said this time more clearly.

Chanyeol can’t help but agree to the shorter guy’s request. After all, he promised he’ll rest. And that’s all what he wanted to hear from Baekhyun; an assurance that he’ll take more care of his body. He turned his car back to the direction of his passenger’s apartment.

“I’m sorry if I kind of treated you like that. I know that we just met not too long ago and we barely knew each other but please know that I care for you and I’ll do anything to keep you from harm. I’m sorry Baekhyun, I truly am. I hope you don’t get mad and avoid me.”

“No Chanyeol. I should be the one saying sorry for being stubborn. I know where you are coming from and I know that you’re just worried and no, I won’t be mad. So I’m sorry and thank you. I still don’t know how to pay you for all the kindness you’ve been showing me.”

Even though Chanyeol couldn’t see Baekhyun since he can’t keep his eyes away from the road, he can feel the shorter guy’s gaze. He inwardly sighed in relief when Baekhyun told him that he’s not going to be mad and that he understands him.

He untangled his right hand from the handbrake and reach out for Baekhyun’s. When he finally found it he slowly intertwined his fingers with Baekhyun’s and squeezed it a bit. He felt Baekhyun stiffened a bit but thankfully the shorter guy relaxes and didn’t dare to snatch his hand away. It made Chanyeol smile.

It’s amazing how comfortable it feels with their hands clasped together. It’s amazing how their hands fit together like they were made to hold each other. The feeling of belongingness is floating inside Chanyeol’s heart and he knew Baekhyun felt the same way. They stayed like that for the rest of the drive with the giant occasionally untangling his hand from Baekhyun’s warm one whenever he needs to do some handbrake maneuver. But even though that’s the case, his hand always finds its way back to Baekhyun’s. 

₰₰₰

Baekhyun on the other hand, is blushing furiously. He thanked the heavens above that it’s night time already and Chanyeol is too focused on the road to notice the rosy pink color creeping out of his face. He glances at their intertwined fingers and it made his heart rate grew faster. Not good Baekhyun, not good.

He could’ve easily snatched his hand away from Chanyeol’s hold but he didn’t. He’s tired and exhausted. He doesn’t want to fight with Chanyeol’s hold anymore. And for some reason, although he will never admit it to the giant, he liked it. He felt peaceful and protected. And more importantly he felt belonged.

Is it love? Is he really falling in love?

He’s not sure. All he knows that the guy beside him made him feel a thousand things he can’t describe. And whatever it is, it sure good thing. He’s terrified, that can’t be deny. He’s terrified of falling in love and getting hurt. What if everything goes wrong and he ended up hurt again? Will he be available to handle another blow again?

He smiled as he remembered their little argument earlier. He gave in at the giant’s condition of him resting at his own place and not going to work. Well, he rather stays at his own place than Chanyeol’s. That would be too much for him. It’s already inevitable that he’ll lose his job (well maybe Siwon would be kind enough to spare him) either way so what’s the use of fighting a fight he knows he will never win. But it felt good, to know that someone truly cares.

Damn Park Chanyeol! Ever since he met the giant, his not-so-peaceful life turned upside down. It’s super cliché actually how things were going on between the two of them. But he couldn’t care less. He’ll enjoy this moment while it last.

He's waken from his deep thoughts when he felt the car came to an abrupt halt and Chanyeol untangles his hand from him much to his slight disappointment.

“We’re here.” Chanyeol announces.

Baekhyun looked around for a minute or so and realized they indeed arrived already. He stared at his old and rusting apartment building and it reminds him why he’s so against of Chanyeol giving him a lift. It’s somewhat embarrassing, especially to a wealthy kid like Chanyeol.

“Yeah, we’re here.” He gives him a smile. “Thanks for driving me home. Do you want to come inside? Have a coffee or something?”

It’s not really a good idea, inviting Chanyeol to come inside since he’s sure the giant’s bathroom is bigger than his place but he wanted to do something for Chanyeol at least to repay him for all the things he did for him today.

“No. You need to rest." Chanyeol said, shaking his head. "I’ll go and visit you tomorrow to make sure you’re at home. Resting.”

Baekhyun chuckles to what Chanyeol had just said but quickly gives a response. "You don’t have to that. I promise I’ll be resting.”

“Okay fine. But don’t think I’ll let you off so easily. I’m going to text you all day and I demand that you reply. Understand?”

“Yes sir!” Baekhyun laughs as he free himself off his seatbelt. “Thank you again.” He flashes a grateful smile to the giant.

“Anytime.”

Baekhyun opened the door beside him and was ready to get off when he heard Chanyeol speak once more.

“And Baekhyun—“

Baekhyun turns around one more time to face the giant. “Hmmm?” He hums in response and he saw hesitance in Chanyeol’s eyes.

“… Good night.”

He knew deep inside that that wasn’t what  Chanyeol’s going to say but he let it slip this time. “Good night Chanyeol. Have a safe drive home!” He nods. And with that he got off of the blue car and waved at Chanyeol before making his way to his unit. Though today is really an exhausting day for him, Baekhyun still considers it one of the best day he had for a while.

 

 

And it's all thanks to a certain giant.

 







Here’s an update guys… sorry it took four days for me to write again… I’m really busy… busy playing flappy bird. Lol. Seriously, I’m just lazy. OTL forgive me /I’m going to write KaiSoo in the next chapter so please look forward to it. ;)

About this chapter, it’s kind of awkward isn’t it? Haha.. xD Please comment what you think about today’s update. ♥

Also I want to thank everyone who showed their support to me with the last chapter. It definitely gave me motivation. Thank you so much, That’s it for now. Till the next update! ^^~