XVIII

Taking Chances...

28


     Baekhyun is brought by Junmyeon to a three star restaurant not far from the hospital. Baekhyun, being the simple guy that he is, tries to talk Junmyeon out of it at first. He reasons that Junmyeon need not to bring him to such fine restaurant and could go either in a fast-food chain or simple ramyeon shop along the street. But obviously, his brother leaves no argument for it.

They arrived at the restaurant without so much as a talk for both are too shy and awkward to even start a conversation.

Junmyeon politely ask their assigned waiter to give them the restaurant’s specialty as soon as they are seated. A move that made Baekhyun slightly uncomfortable because he knows that specialty means expensive and expensive is a big no from him.

He sighs in defeat, not even able to voice out his concern and just settles with staring and at the man seated in front of him.

It is the first time he’s able to get a good look to the brother he dearly missed for four years. Truly a lot can change in a matter of short time. And he wonders, is he still the same?

He notices how Junmyeon’s formerly jet black hair is now golden blonde and sways perfectly to whatever movement his brother makes that the latter can be compared to someone advertising a branded shampoo.

And despite only dress in a blue plaid polo and slacks, Baekhyun did not miss to note how classy and sophisticated Junmyeon looks. He looks like one of those people he serves at the bar. Those kind of people who have so much extra money to waste for a single, exaggeratedly priced alcoholic drink that do no good but harm the body.

 

Then it him.

 

Junmyeon has money.

 

Junmyeon is rich.

 

And he…

 

He couldn’t help but feel slightly bitter about it.

While for the past few years, he lived every single day of his life fearing whether he could survive another day not, Junmyeon’s living in peace.

While he go around here and there trying to find ways to make money almost every day just to meet the end of his apartment’s bills, Junmyeon might’ve been leaving in comfortable house.

While he slaves himself to death, Junmyeon’s living.

While he has no money, Junmyeon got lots of it.

While he’s living alone, scared and lonely, Junmyeon is somewhere in Jeju making and enjoying a life.

But that’s where Baekhyun is contrast to others.

Because in spite of everything, for no matter how painful and torturous his life has been, he could not bring to hate the only family he’s left. He could not bring to feel angry. He couldn’t resent him.

He loves Junmyeon. He loves his brother. And although now he had already learned the truth behind the true identity of the older, it didn’t change anything and it will never change anything. Because he would always, no matter what circumstances the god may give them, deem Junmyeon as a great man and a loving brother.

Wiping his tears away, he looks up at Junmyeon (who seems frozen upon seeing his brother’s tears), a weak but reassuring smile.

“I’m okay.”

Baekhyun says and Junmyeon albeit wanted to ask more questions, let it slide. The older returns the younger’s smile and their meals arrived.

The dinner goes incredibly normal. Aside from his earlier crack-up, Baekhyun is able to enjoy his dinner with Junmyeon. They crack a few jokes here and there and slowly makes the awkward atmosphere fades away as if it wasn’t there in the first place.

They fill each other out about the happenings in their life for the past few years no matter how insignificant the events are. They talk and laugh normally and Baekhyun nearly forgot they haven’t had this for four years.

Baekhyun finds himself stiffen though when nearly at the end of their meal, Junmyeon asks about the very topic he rather avoid at all cost.

“Who’s Chanyeol?” Junmyeon asks, curiousity is very apparent with his tone.

“A f-friend.” He replies anxiously and takes a spoonful of rice as he struggles to avoid his brother’s eyes.

“Just a friend?” The older inquires once more.

“Yes.” He confirms. Junmyeon doesn’t press any further.

Junmyeon insists on dropping Baekhyun home. And as usual, the younger could only sigh in defeat. Junmyeon always leave no room for argument. So much for being the older, Baekhyun shakes his head as he follows Junmyeon back to the hospital to get the latter’s car.

The very reason Baekhyun didn’t want Junmyeon dropping him home is that, he doesn’t want to make the older guilty once he sees the place he’s been calling home. It’s small and cramp and Junmyeon will surely hate himself for that.

But Baekhyun rationalize that to be able to move on from the past, they need to face everything in the present.

And so Baekhyun brought Junmyeon to his home.

Junmyeon cries and hugs Baekhyun as soon as they enter the flat. He repeats the word ‘sorry’ over and over again, ignoring the younger’s hushed whisper of ‘it’s not your fault. Baekhyun tries his hardest not to cry for it will only fuel the elder’s guilt. He instead wipes away the tears off his brother’s face.

“It’s okay hyung.” He whispers. “It’s not your fault. Stop crying. Please.”

“Come live with me Baek.” Junmyeon says in between muffled sobs. “Let’s start anew.”

Byun Baekhyun could only answer with a frail smile.

₰₰₰

Chanyeol feels his stomach churns when morning came. He didn’t get enough sleep. He’s been tossing and turning on his bed all night, wondering if he made the right decision.

He knows it was stupid of him to agree and meet this girl.

He knows he’s not thinking clear.

He knows that no matter how hard he tries, he will never be replaced.

 

Chanyeol is given a paper and told by his father to meet his friend’s daughter at the written address and he oh-so-wanted to punch his father. For in all restaurants that stand in Seoul, it has to be there. It has to be his favorite restaurant.

Clenching his teeth, he says his brief goodbye to his father and he headed to his car. He bumps with Suho along the way but as if the elder doesn’t exist, Chanyeol walks past him.

 

Her name’s Sora. Kang Sora.

She is beautiful for her age and well mannered, telling Chanyeol that if he ever feels uncomfortable along the meeting, she would be willing to conclude the day.

She isn’t demanding and spoiled but classy and poised.

She has a beautiful laugh and well sense of humor that even Chanyeol finds himself laughing along. His first genuine one in a long time.

To sum it up, Sora’s far from the girl he imagined.

But she will never be him.

 

It is during their first course meal when Chanyeol heard a familiar voice coming from the restaurant’s entrance. Heart beating fast, Chanyeol looks up to see and confirm his suspicion.

It is him.

It is Baekhyun.

With the same guy he saw with Baekhyun a few days ago at the campus.

Chanyeol nearly broke his spoon.

 

It happen so fast, one second his and Baekhyun’s eyes met, the next, Baekhyun’s already standing in front of their table glaring both at him and Sora. Chanyeol held his breath, not really sure how to handle the situation and stares anywhere but Baekhyun. No one dare to speak.

It goes on like this for a minute or two until Baekhyun’s monotone voice is heard.

“I don’t share what’s mine.”

The tall guy could only gape as Baekhyun drag him out of the restaurant faster than lighting.

 

 






Heol~~~ I'm sorry for the late update. >< But finally the story's moving and uh-oh is that a jealous Baekhyun???? HAHAHA. 
I don't want to promise when will I update again but I think I'll update again this month. And I'm just sad that the this baby of mine is nearing its end. T__T

Anyway, please don't forget to comment and subcribe. I'll be waiting for feedbacks.

Thank You. :))) ♥♥

TWITTER@xoxoluckyexo