XXV

Taking Chances...

25


     Baekhyun thought that if he subtly slows his movements Kyungsoo will get tired of waiting and eventually will leave. But no, even after an hour after the lunch rush hour, even after Professor Lau left, even after trying the best he could to avoid the inevitable talk, Kyungsoo still sits there on his place, casually sipping his iced café latte and  patiently waiting for him to drag his sorry self and actually talk to him.

Baekhyun doesn’t even know why he’s terrified of talking to Chanyeol’s god brother. It’s not like Kyungsoo will shout at him if he finds out what’s going on between him and the giant. He doesn’t seem like the type. But who knows? After all, Kyungsoo is Chanyeol’s god brother. Might as well, take the word ‘god’ and just make it ‘brother’.

To be perfectly honest, he’s somewhat uncomfortable making a talk with Kyungsoo. Everything that’s between him and Chanyeol is messed up and dragging someone who really shouldn’t be involved, wouldn’t make it magically okay. Also, everything isn’t clear yet so he hasn’t the foggiest idea to what ‘talking’ they would do.

But alas, he felt guilty that when Suzy nudges and reminds him that Kyungsoo’s been waiting for what seems like forever, he gives up and makes his way towards where Kyungsoo’s seating. Every step he makes equals to a hard beating of his heart. He’s nervous and feels like turning around and running away. But all his resolves broke down when he catches Kyungsoo’s eyes and the latter giving him a warm smile.

He heaves a deep breath and hastens his steps. He can feel Kyungsoo’s eyes watching his every moves and he just wants the floor below to break down into two and swallows him alive. This is going to be so embarrassing, he mumbles to himself.

“Hi.” Kyungsoo greets the moment he lets himself to the (hot) seat opposite the former. “It’s nice to have you finally here.”

“Ah y-yes. I’m sorry, been busy.” He laughs awkwardly trying to look anywhere but Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo chuckles and it made Baekhyun more anxious.

“You don’t have to be afraid Baekhyun. I’m not going to eat alive.” I actually prefer that over this formidable talk, Baekhyun thought.

“I’m sorry, I just don’t know how to act towards you. It’s somewhat uncomfortable.” Baekhyun admits.

“I can see that.” Kyungsoo teases. “But let me get to the point.”

“Okay.”

“Is my god brother aware of the fact that you’re leaving? And in a month at that.” Kyungsoo’s tone is anywhere but accusing but it still made Baekhyun shivers. And just like a deer caught in a red light, he isn’t able to formulate words. Kyungsoo or the floor might not be eating him alive, but the guilt is.

“I see…” Kyungsoo sighs. “Can I tell you a story Baekhyun?” Baekhyun looks up and stares at Kyungsoo. He notices how the eyes of Chanyeol’s god brother turn from a warm to a one full of sadness. He nods in response and waited for Kyungsoo to begin his story.

 

*

A boisterous laughter of many kids fills the entire living room making every adult in the said expanse laugh too. A kid’s birthday party is being held and the birthday boy Kyungsoo is leading the gang of kids, acting like a pirate crew. He held his tiny fist, indicating that they should stop, when he sees a boy beside he assumes his mother walking their direction. He happily skips to the newly arrived boy and flashes his signature heart-shape smile. The said boy cowers behind his mother’s and little Kyungsoo frowns at the actions.

“Don’t hide.” He pouts. “What’s your name?” He asks with wide eyes. The boy cowers even more and little Kyungsoo resorted into pulling him away from the beautiful lady.

“Hi. I’m Do Kyungsoo. And today’s my birthday!” The boy made a move to hide again but Kyungsoo is not having of that.

“No.” He whines. “You need to tell me your name before I accept you to my pirate crew.” This seems to sparks interest with the boy and to Kyungsoo’s delight he speaks for the first time.

“P-pirate crew?” The boy shyly asks.

“Yes!” Little Kyungsoo answers proudly. “We’re called the PPC short for Pororo Pirate Crew. I’m the Captain and they call me Captain DoDo. What’s your name?”

“J-jongin, Kim Jongin.”

“There you go.Iit’s not hard introducing yourself isn’t it?” Captain DoDo chuckles and Jongin let out a small little shy smile.

“A-am I a pirate now?” Little Jongin asks.

“No.” Captain DoDo immediately replies. This made Jongin close to tears but Kyungsoo quickly explains the reason.

“You have to have a pirate name first. Hmmm.” Kyungsoo stares out of nowhere as if in deep thought. After a few seconds of silence, he turns around to his crews and smile widely. “Attention everyone! Help me welcome our new crew, Kkamjong!” Then everyone rushes to the newly added crew telling him congratulations and giving him warm welcome. Captain DoDo stands a few inches away, evidently proud of his crew.

“Now Pororo Pirate Crew!” Captain Dodo shouts. “Ready yourself for a big adventure!”

“Aye aye Captain!”

*

“Hyung!

Kyungsoo stop dead on his tracks when he heard a familiar voice calls to him. He let goes of his trolley and turns around. There a few feet away from him is Jongin hands on his knees, taking deep breaths. He’s obviously been running. Kyungsoo willed himself and approaches Jongin.

“Jongin…” He calls and reaches out to the boy. Jongin looks up and stares at him.

“Hyung. Why didn’t you tell me?” Guilt creeps throughout Kyungsoo’s veins as he stares back to Jongin’s crestfallen face. “Why didn’t you tell me you’re leaving?” Kyungsoo stops for a minute. Why did he really?

As he continue to search the deepest corner of his mind the reason why he didn’t tell Jongin he’ll be flying out of the country, the latter hugs him. Jongin hugs him so tight that he can barely breathe. But for some he didn’t complain. A realization hits him right at the moment. A thought he tried to conceal all along. Because no matter how he tries to reason that it will be okay, it will never be.

He likes Jongin. He likes Jongin more than he thought he does. And that’s one of the reason he opt not to tell Jongin he’s leaving. He thought it will somehow lessen the pain of leaving someone so important to him. Because he’s afraid that once he tells Jongin he’s leaving, his feelings will take control and it’ll lead to a sudden confession. He doesn’t want that. He’d rather hurt himself than see Jongin slips away from him because of his stupid feelings.

His jumble of thoughts breaks away when Jongin let go of the hug and even though he’s smiling, Kyungsoo can see how sad the younger is.

“H-hyung…” Jongin sniffs. To others it may look like a ridiculous scene. A fifteen year old, crying because his friend is leaving but to Kyungsoo, it’s killing him inside.

“Jong—“

“Don’t say anything hyung.” Jongin cuts him off. “Hear me out. Okay?” Kyungsoo nods. “I…” And then Jongin chuckles and shook his head. He smile so widely that Kyungsoo cringes to how fake it looks but let him be.

“Kyungsoo-hyung, don’t forget me okay? Even if you enjoy Canada never, I repeat, never replace me! Are we clear?” Kyungsoo chuckles at Jongin’s words.

“Of course! My  Jongin will never be replaced! EVER!”

Just then Kyungsoo’s mom calls out telling him that it’s time to go. Kyungsoo pulls Jongin into a hug and rubs his nose to the younger’s neck.

“I’m going to miss you.”

“Me too hyung. Me too.

“…”

Time to go Captain DoDo.”

“…”

“Enjoy your new adventure.”

“…”

“Goodbye…”

 

[CANADA]

“What’s your name?”

“I-i’m Kyungsoo, Do Kyungsoo.”

“My name is Henry. Don’t worry., I’ll help you adjust here in Canada.”

“T-thank you.”

*

“Can I take you as my date for the school night Kyungsoo?”

“Sure… I guess?”

*

“I like you, Kyungsoo. Will you be my boyfriend?”

“Yes.”

*

“I’m going back to Korea.”

“Then I’m coming with you.”

“Really?”

“Really.”

“Thank You.”

“You’re welcome. I love you.”

“I love you too.”

*

 

A content hum left Kyungsoo’s mouth as he prepares his house for a very special person. Henry’s coming today and together with Jongin they’ll be picking him up today at the airport.

Jongin.

He still can’t believe he was able to move on from the younger. He thought that maybe, just like in the movies, he will forever be stuck with his first love. He thought that he’ll have a hard time moving on. He thought that he’ll die alone just because he was to coward to confess.

But thankfully, Henry came along. Henry changed everything. And while it wasn’t a love at first sight for Kyungsoo, he gradually fell in love with his senior. And glad he did, because Henry’s the sweetest. Kyungsoo couldn’t ask for more.

The sound of the doorbell momentarily stops Kyungsoo from vacuuming. He glances at the wall clock pasted just above his newly bought television set and furrows his eyebrows. It’s only 9 am and he’s not expecting Jongin up until 11:30. Wiping his sweats off, he turns off the vacuum and proceeds to open the door.

What he didn’t expect was a pair of lips crashing on him upon opening the door. But even before he could push the person, the lips are gone.

Kyungsoo stands frozen as he takes the clear form of his attacker. His eyes widen in both realization and shock.

 It was Jongin. Jongin just kissed him.

“Before you hit me for assailing you,” Jongin starts in a rough voice and only then Kyungsoo discerns how tired Jongin looks, “listen.”

“I like you, hyung. No scratch that I love you. I love you ever since you welcomed me into Pororo Pirate Crew. I never stopped loving you even when you went away. I never stopped loving you even though I tried so hard. I just can’t.” The first set of tears begins to drop from Jongin’s eyes and Kyungsoo oh so wanted to wipe those.

“Jongin…”

“I said listen.” Jongin firmly says. “I’m not telling you this because I wanted you to like me back. I’m telling you this because I wanted to move on. I know you’re happy with him hyung, I saw it in your eyes when you talk about him. And I’m not the kind of person to break people apart just for a selfish reason that only me would benefit. No.” Jongin looked Kyungsoo straight in the eye. “I’ve been thinking about this all night and came to a conclusion that, I’m happy for you hyung, I really am.”

Try as he might to stop the tears from leaving his eyes, Kyungsoo just can’t. And the next thing he knew he was hugging Jongin, so tight that he can barely breathe too.

“Thank You.” He says from the bottom of his heart.

“I’m sorry for the kiss hyung. I just wanted to feel those lips before I go.” Kyungsoo ignored the former words as the only thing he could process is the word ‘go’.

“Go where?” He asks as he let goes of Jongin. Jongin smiles at him and Kyungsoo is glad to see that it is a genuine smile.

“To find my own happy ending.”

 

 

”Where did he exactly go?” Baekhyun asks as he Kyungsoo finishes his story.

“I’m not sure. Last thing I heard from Chanyeol, he went out of the country.” Kyungsoo replies as he sips graciously at his now almost empty cup.

“Chanyeol?” Baekhyun stares in confusion. “How did Chanyeol knew him?” It is now Kyungsoo’s time to get confuse.

“But I thought you…” Kyungsoo stops midway when he figures out something. “Jongin is Kai.” He chuckles.

“Oh.”

“Yeah,oh.” Kyungsoo laughs once more but turns sternly as he utters his next words. “But we’re getting out of topic Baekhyun.”

“Okay…” The gnawing feeling he felt earlier is back again.

“My god brother looks at you as if you’re the most precious thing on earth. I love my god brother Baekhyun and it’ll hurt me to see him suffer once you left without saying goodbye. He loves you Baekhyun, I know it. And if you’re still thinking of going away without him knowing, then you don’t deserve him. ”

Kyungsoo’s words stung but Baekhyun swallows it all because after all, it’s the truth. He stares at his fidgeting hands, wanting no more to run to Chanyeol and tell him how important he is to him.

“Baekhyun can I ask you a question?”

“G-go ahead.”

“Do you want your happy ending?”

Baekhyun looks up from his hand to surprisingly, Kyungsoo’s grinning face.

“Of course.” Baekhyun said proudly but all he can think of is Chanyeol’s blinding smile.

“Then go find him.”

“I will.” Baekhyun stands up. “But I have to settle one thing first. Do you perhaps know where I can find Chanyeol’s brother?”

“Suho-hyung?” Kyungsoo asks and he nods in response. Pulling out a notebook and a pen, Kyungsoo write something in it. When he finishes, he tear the page and offers it to Baekhyun. “Here.” Baekhyun reach for it and although Kyungsoo wants to ask for details on why Baekhyun does need to see Suho first, he decided against it. There’s another time for that.

“Thank you Kyungsoo.” Baekhyun puts the paper in his back pocket. Kyungsoo stands up too walks over Baekhyun.

“No. Thank you.” Kyungsoo says smiling. “And goodluck”

₰₰₰

No matter how hard he tries to concentrate, everything just keeps getting confusing. Everything’s a mess. He can’t understand the papers he needs to understand. He can’t even finish reading one stupid contract. It feels hell.

Suho can’t work and he absolutely hates it. He can’t go home because then he’ll be reminded how Chanyeol despises him and how their family’s a mess right now.

A loud knock is heard and he can’t help but groans in frustration. Maybe he needs a little bit of distraction. His secretary and best friend Yixing welcomes himself inside looking strain as ever.

“Your brother wants to see you.” Yixing says looking uncomfortable.

“Chanyeol?” Suho questions unbelievably but even before Yixing could answer; another set of body enters the room.

“No, it’s me.”

Suho stares at the newly arrive person and his whole world stops.

“Baek…”

 






First of all, HI! Do you still remember me?  I know it’s been awhile but I really can’t help it. Real life is eating me and I couldn’t really find time to write. It’s a miracle; I was able to post update today. >< I don’t really have a lot of things to say about this chapter. But be aware that this will be the last chapter that KaiSoo will appear. As you can see KaiSoo decided to be friends (or I’d like to think they’re friends. lol) Also the next chapter is what you’ve been waiting for. The answer to everything. HAHAHA.

I swear I wanted to write more often but I just really can’t. I’m sorry. T__T

Anyway, did EXO’s comeback kill you?? Because it murdered both my feels and my wallet. HAHA Let’s not talk about how many albums I bought though… Let’s just not. :D

Don’t forget to comment and subscribe. Don’t hesitate to talk to me. I’m always here ready to listen!

Thank you always! See you…

TWITTER@xoxoluckyexo