XVI

Taking Chances...

16


     The thing about Kai and Chanyeol is, they understand each other very well. Kai is the kind of a younger brother Chanyeol wished he have. So seeing him in a state like this; broken and still trying to smile, hurts like hell. But he can't really do anything for the cause of Kai's misery is another brother of his. And this fact, makes him feel a million times tier.

"Hey. You okay?" He asks the person sitting on the passenger. They've been on a deafening silence ever since they left the restaurant. Chanyeol's been driving for a while now, without a clear destination in his head.

"Depends on your definition of 'okay'." Kai chuckles. Chanyeol cringes at how painful it sounds.

"Look man, I'm sorry it had come to this." He knows he's not making the situation any better but he figures  that it's probably good to talk to Kai at least.

"What are you even apologizing for?" Kai said almost in inaudible voice. "I'm the one to blame for all of this. I'm acting like a high-schooler who just got rejected by her long time crush. The difference is I didn't even have the courage to confess."

Chanyeol gives up for and focuses his gaze to the road. They fall into a silence again but fortunately, not long after, something—someone rather, comes unto the driver's mind. Chanyeol's lips immediately turn upwards at the thought, forming a little smile.

"Hey, want to visit Baekhyun?"

Kai furrows his eyebrows in confusion but immediately got the idea. He checks the time on his phone and frowns at the sight.

"It's only 7 though. That club doesn’t open till 8."

"Who said about going straight there? Jongin, my friend, we're going on little detour." Chanyeol chirps happily.

"Sounds like a plan." Kai let out a smile, this time, a genuine one. Chanyeol couldn't hold his too.

₰₰₰

Baekhyun has expected many things about coming back to work in the club. Like being bombarded with 'are you okay now' or 'take care of you health' from the people there. He expected a lot of things. But seeing Chanyeol with bouquet of flowers and balloons in hands clearly isn’t one of them.

The bartender blushs furiously as the giant slowly approach him. He discreetly scans the club to see if people are paying attention to them and as he dreaded, almost everyone’s eyes bore into Chanyeol.

Who wouldn’t?

Club isn’t exactly the right place for something as cheesy as this. People go here to have fun, meet new people and in some instances—get wasted.

Baekhyun hasn't noticed that Chanyeol is already in front of him until the said giant faked a cough in n attempt to get his attention. Which he certainly did. He snaps back to his senses and bit his bottom lips when he met eyes with Chanyeol. 'Hey' is the only thing he could manage. Everything is kind of hard to process right now, thank you very much. 

“For you.” Chanyeol flashes that 1000 watts smile of his as he offers the flowers and balloons to Baekhyun. Baekhyun, on the other hand, accepted it hesistantly.

“Thank you?” It came out more like a question than a statement.

“How’s first day back at work Princess?” Chanyeol teases and flops down at the bar stool beside him.

Baekhyun set the bouquet and the balloon on his side and scans the club once more. Thankfully the crowd went back to their own business. He sighs in relief and returns his gaze to Chanyeol.

“Uhmmm. I don’t know. Maybe it would be my last since a certain someone decided to show up with flowers and balloons.” He replies; now back to his sassy self. “But seriously Yeol, if my boss learned about this, I’m a dead meat. I should be working not doing… this.”

“Awww. That’s a first.” Chanyeol cooes. Baekhyun gives him a look. “I mean you calling me a nickname. I mean the ‘Yeol’.” Baekhyun stay silent. “Okay, okay, I’m sorry for showing up unannounced. It’s just that Jong—Kai,” Chanyeol look at the direction where Kai is dancing, “needs to have some fun time. Got rejected, something like that.” Baekhyun’s gaze softens and nodded feeling a bit proud at his suitor for being a good friend.

“Alright." He throws his hands up in surrender. "So what can I get for you? It’s not really cool if you just stay here without ordering anything.”

“Can I have… water?” Chanyeol asks with a knowing smile. And Baekhyun knows what the giant is actually referring at.

“Sir if you want water there’s a vending machine over there, have a good night.” Baekhyun glares but not really mad. Chanyeol laughs at him.

“That was classic.” He claps his handfor a few seconds before calming down. “But seriously Baek, can I just have water? I don’t really want to drink. Please?

“Fine. But I can’t really attend to you all night so don’t bother me okay?” Baekhyun said matter-of-factly before dashing out to get the idiot a glass of water.

 

What had Baekhyun told Chanyeol earlier exactly what happens. The bartender didn’t even spare a glance to his suitor sitting at far end of the bar counter. It’s not that Baekhyun didn’t want to talk to Chanyeol; he just wanted to do his job properly. He could feel though, that Chanyeol’s watching him all the time but he resisted the urge to look back. It is like this for next hour and a half before Kai came juggling into the bar counter with a girl in tow.

“Hi Baekhyun!” Kai greets casually. Baekhyun looks up from the drinks he’s making and waves at Kai.

Hi Kai. Can I get you something?”

“No. I just wanted to say hello. We’re actually going now.” Kai nods his head at the girl beside him. “So yeah. Bye.” He said pulling the girl towards the exit. “And oh bye Chanyeol! Thanks for the ride.” He added before completely disappearing.

As soon as Kai is out of sight, Baekhyun quickly went to Chanyeol to ask him about it. Didn’t Chanyeol said that Kai just got rejected or something?

“Hey.” He places a glass of cola in front of Chanyeol and said guy immediately beams at him taking a sip of the newly placed refreshment. “I thought you said Kai just got rejected?” Chanyeol sighed.

“Yeah, he was kind of rejected.” Chanyeol said in between sipping the drink.

“Then why is he leaving with that girl?” Baekhyun narrows his eye. “It wouldn’t take a genius to know what they’re going to do.”

“Yeah yeah.”  Chanyeol took a sip once more and Bakhyun can sense how the tall guy is not wanted to prolong the topic. He obviously wanted to know more about Kai’s lovelife but it yeah, he can't really force Chanyeol so he decided to throw the topic off. They stood silent for a moment until the taller guy speaks once again.

“So what time is your out?”

“In an hour.” Baekhyun casually replies  wiping off the dirt from the counter although there's barely any.

“Good!” Chanyeol’s ears perks up. “I’m dying here because you keep on ignoring me.”.

“I’m sorry giant. You know work comes first.”

“I know. I know.” Chanyeol nods. “But what’s another hour? Now go back to work you lazy !” They both laugh at the statement.

 

 

Chanyeol's detoriating mood quickly vanishes the moment Baekhyun finally told him they’re free to go. He doesn’t have any actual plan for the night, well early morning. He just want to see Baekhyun off and maybe drive him home. Linking their hands together, Chanyeol lead Baekhyunto where his car's parked at.

“Thank you for this Yeol.” Baekhyun said with the bouquet and balloons in his hand. “Sorry for looking not appreciative earlier. I was just surprised.”

“Don’t worry about it.” Chanyeol chuckles. “I also realized that was a dumb move.”

“It wasn’t dumb!” Baekhyun shook his head in disagreement. “It’s the sweetest thing I have ever experienced for a while.” Chanyeol put an invisible hand in the air and virtually fist pumped. Grinning from ear to ear.

“I’m willing to do the dumbest of things if it means it’ll make you happy.”

“Nope. Not working. I’m still not going to agree to be your boyfriend.” Baekhyun teases and untangles his hand away from Chanyeol’s holds.

“I’m willing to wait.” Chanyeol snatches back it back. “So hey, my brother is coming back soon. I want you to meet him.” Chanyeol felt Baekhyun stiffened for a moment so he squeezes the shorter guy’s hand to help him relax.

 “Okay.” Baekhyun agrees. “But you still haven’t told me much about your brother.” He added.

“Neither did you.” Chanyeol said impassively and Baekhyun shots him a look that sceams ‘are you serious?'. Shivering at the thought of being ignored by the smaller guy, he tried saving himself. “But of course I tell you anything you want to know about your future boyfriend’s life.” Baekhyun scoffs but his lip says otherwise at it turned upwards forming a little smile.

“You better not lie to me.”

“I won’t.” Chanyeol put his free hand in the air in a swear-like position. Baekhyun chuckles for nth time that day. “But let’s go to my car first and we’ll talk along the way.”

"That, we'll do."

 







I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I was supposed to update last Wednesday but it got pushed back. T__T Anyway I apologize for being a lazy- author. I mean I already palnned everything out... I just didn't know how to put in words. OTL. And about the chapter, I'm sorry if it's boring. :" But uh oh, Suho's coming back for real. I know you waited long enough. And finally he'll  be making his appearance next chapter. :)

So did you know about that SOPA thingy??? Come on guys help us fight it by signing this petition (click here). It would mean a lot and it wouldn't take long to sign in. Thank you. ♥

Thanks to my new subscribers!! Jut a few more and I'm going to reach 200 subs for this story and that makes me so happy. :D So yeah thatt's it for now. Till the next update! See ya!

 

P.S -- I'm working on Back For You Official PDF version. This version is going to be different than the posted one. It has longer chapters and revision was made. I'm going to elaborate more in the future. But for now, here's a little sneak peek to what it's going to look like. :)