XV

Taking Chances...

15


     "So what are we now?' is Chanyeol's opening question to Baekhyun once settled in his car. 

"I don't know what you mean." Baekhyun looked anywhere but to Chanyeol, trying to avoid the subject. He may be acting normal but he still felt giddy inside when he realized he just kissed Chanyeol. On the lips. On their first date. Way to go Byun Baekhyun.

"I hate to break it up to you, but I do know you know what I'm talking about." Chanyeol pointed out as he started his car's engine.

"Chanyeol, I really don't know—"

"Baek."

"Fine. Fine. I don't know. I'm not sure." Baekhyun admitted in defeat. Chanyeol smiled in victory.

"You know, you already kissed me so that means you like me too right?" He asks eyes on the road.

"Yes, maybe, i don't know. I'm not really interested being in a relationship." Baekhyun puffs a breath. It's not that he really means it. He's just a bit scared. "I'm not the right person for you, believe me."

Chanyeol furrowed his eyebrows and look at the man beside him. "What does that even mean? Baek, I like you and I know you like me too... somehow." He shifted his gaze back at the road. Baekhyun stood silent for a bit and that silence is killing the taller guy.

"Honestly," Baekhyun finally spoke, "I'm scared Chanyeol. What if this doesn't work out? What if you leave me too in the future like the others?" He ended with a sigh.

"I thought I already cleared that out earlier. I will never, I repeat, never going to leave you in a million years. I promise. So please..." Chanyeol pleads in a softer voice.

“Will you be able to put out with me? I mean I'm poor and you're rich. I'm plain looking and you're gorgeous. We're not fit for each other."

"So you think I'm gorgeous?" Chanyeol said teasingly.

"Shut up. That's beside the point." Baekhyun grumbles. "What I'm saying is—"

"Whatever that is you're saying… I don't care." Chanyeol interrupted the elder.

"Are you sure?" Baekhyun turn to look at the driver.

Chanyeol nods. "Well, I'm taking my chances." He smiled.

"Okaaaay." Baekhyun returns the smile. "But just to make it clear, we're not boyfriends yet. You're still on the stage of courting."

Chanyeol looked at the road and to Baekhyun simultaneously; mouth agape. "What? That's so old-school." He whines. “You’re not even a girl to begin with.”

"I could literally punch you right now with that statement. Girl or not, it’s important to get to know each other first in a deeper level. And for the record, I am old-school. Take it or Leave it." Baekhyun said, voice filled with finality.

"Fine. If you like me to court you, then so be it. Besides it wouldn't take long for me to make you say yes. You can't resist Mr. Park Chanyeol's charm for a long time. Just so you wait." Chanyeol beams proudly while Baekhyun rolled his eyes. He wanted to say 'you're so full of yourself' but decided against it. Instead he opted to stay silent although that silence didn't last long when Chanyeol faked cough.

"Erhmm... can I still hold your hand?" The driver asks shyly.

Baekhyun stared at him for a moment then looked away mumbling a 'whatever' as he offered his hand and Chanyeol gladly took it.

 

The drive was magically turned into a short one and before they knew it, they already arrived at the front of Baekhyun's building apartment. Chanyeol reluctantly let go of Baekhyun's hands as he unbuckle his seatbelt. Once free of it, he jumped out of the car and went to Baekhyun's side door. The elder took his time to free himself from the seatbelt knowing that Chanyeol is going to open the door for him.

When Chanyeol opens the door on Baekhyun's, he offered his hand to the latter to assist him from getting out of the car. Baekhyun mumbles a simple thanks before retracting his hand away from the giant. They stood there, not knowing what to do next, or maybe even too shy to acknowledge that their day had indeed ended and that they're now parting.

"So yeah, thanks for today Chanyeol. I enjoyed it. It's nice to have a fresh air." Baekhyun gathers every little self-composure he has to initiate a conversation.

"No problem. If you want to go back there, just tell me." Chanyeol gives Baekhyun that blinding smile the latter starting to adore.

"Well, this goodnight then. See you around Chanyeol." Baekhyun also flashes the best smile he could.

"Yeah see you around. But don't forget that you still have to rest. I'm going to text and call you so don't think you can fool me if ever you're planning to go to work earlier than expected." Chanyeol said in all serious tone. Baekhyun just watched in pure amusement.

"You sound like my mother." Baekhyun chuckles.

"Good. Now off you go. I already took so much of your rest time." Chanyeol imitated a mother's tone.

"You're really a dork aren't you? Good night then. Have a safe drive." Baekhyun waves and turned to face the direction of his apartment building's apartment.

"Wait Baek!" Said guy stops dead on his tracks indicating that he's listening but didn't turn around. He waited for Chanyeol to speak again. "If given a chance, I would like to ask for a goodnight kiss but I'm not pushing my luck. So I just want to say goodnight and sweet dreams."

Baekhyun just gave him thumbs up without even looking back as he started to step forward once again. Not long before heard the grumble of an engine as it slowly fades away from his hearing shot. He fished out his cellphone on his pocket and sent Chanyeol a quick message.

 

To: Giant
From: Baekhyun
 
Goodnight too Chanyeol. Thank you so much. Really. :)

₰₰₰

The next few days came in a blur for both Chanyeol and Baekhyun. It was Friday morning when the latter informed Chanyeol that he's going back to work. The giant replied immediately reminding to not overwork himself and that he's sorry he couldn't drop by since Kyungsoo has announcement to make. They exchanged a few messages for a while until Baekhyun said he have to go and start work. Chanyeol replied with an 'okay' and 'enjoy your day'.

The moment Chanyeol abandoned his phone on his bedside table, came Kai into view; grinning widely at him.

"Hey, there big boy! At last you're actually here." Kai threw himself on Chanyeol's bed. The owner eyed him incredulously before speaking.

"What's wrong with you today? You seem to be so happy, but trust me Jongin, I know you. What's the problem?"

"What? Nothing. Really. I'm—well..." Kai sighs. His mood turned into a complete 180 and now sporting a glum look making Chanyeol shift awkwardly.

"What's the matter? You look like you were just dumped by Kyungsoo." Chanyeol jokes trying to lighten the mood. But to his horror, Kai looks at him like he just kicked him in the shin. His lips formed into an 'o' shape. "So you were really dumped by my godbrother." Jongin flashed him a bittersweet smile.

"No hyung, it's not like that. Heck, I didn't even confess."

"Then why are you acting like this?" Chanyeol asks in a big brother way.

"It may or may not have to do with his announcement later." Kai almost whispered the words.

"Is it a bad thing?" Chanyeol inquires curiously. To be honest, he really wanted to know what Kyungsoo's up to. Since the guy arrived from Canada, they haven't had a real catching up time.

"Depends." Kai shrugs and smiles. "But enough of me, I didn't come here to talk about my love life. I came here to talk about yours. So please do explain why you have been ignoring my messages." 

Chanyeol wanted to ask more but let the subject be dropped. Instead, he apologized to the younger for ignoring his texts even though he's really not that sorry.. How could he when all the younger's text consists of either a party invitation or inquiries about his thing with Baekhyun. Kai jut scoffs at his apology and ask what's really the real between him and Baekhyun now. And that he heard from Luhan, he was on a date. With this, Chanyeol surrendered. Because he knows that Jongin won't leave him alone thus the story starts. He tells everything from the Sunday  hospital event to their beach picnic. Chanyeol, of courese, purposely left out the first kiss.

"Woah. What a progress. Way to go Park." Jongin wiggles his eyebrows teasingly. "But honestly, who still court today? That's so 1920's."

"I know right. Apparently Mr. Byun Baekhyun is old-school." Chanyeol chuckles. "But you know what it doesn't matter. I'm willing to do anything for him." He smiles and Jongin fakes a vomit act.

"Ewwwww. That's too cheesy. I don't want to hear that again."

"Serves you right for putting your nose in other people's business." Chanyeol smacks him lightly before bursting out into a series of laughter. They talked for a little bit more before deciding to meet Kyungsoo together later.

₰₰₰

If you happen to pass by the table where Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, Jongin, Sehun, and Kris were currently occupying inside a fancy restaurant, you'll definitely, without a doubt, recognize an awkward atmosphere clouding over them. They've been sitting for a while now and no one is trying to break the awkward silent. Kris and Chanyeol are both shifting in their seats in discomfort. Sehun is torn between leaving the group or smacking each one of his hyungs. Kai, on the other hand, just stare at his plate for he already knows what this is all about. 

"Kyungsoo, just tell them. It won't take us anywhere if you keep that mouth of yours shut."

Kyungsoo flinches at the statement and it successfully made the other three look at him expectantly. Brushing off Jongin's random snap (also the fact Jongin called him by his name again), he tries recomposing himself. After a few more seconds of self-encouraging, he finally got the guts to say what has to say.

"Well, for starter," Kyungsoo clears his throat, "I wanted to thank you for coming here even though it's bit awkward." He nervously laughs. "And yeah so like Jongin said, I'm going to tell you something. It may not be that important but since you're my closest friends I wanted you to know." He eyes the three guys as they listen to him intently but purposely avoiding Jongin's. "Back in Canada... you know how hard it is to get accustomed to new cultures and stuff. So in my first few months there I find it really difficult to adjust." He pauses. "But there's this one guy who helped me. At first we were just really good friends... until he confessed. So what I'm getting at is that I have a boyfriend now and we've been together for two years."

Kyungsoo let out a breath and waits for his friend's reaction. And as expected Kris and Sehun gave him an assuring smile.

"That's great Kyung. I'm happy for you. Although I could hate you for not telling us. You've been dating for two years but you didn't dare tell us." Kris said, Sehun nod along in agreement.

Kyungsoo gave the two an apologetic smile. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to not tell you. It just sort of happened. But at least you know now right?" He shifted his gaze to his godbrother. "So Chanyeol... what do you say?"

Chanyeol, at the moment, is looking at Kai (who still looking at his plate). So that's why he's down earlier, he thought He felt sorry for the younger guy but what can he do? Absolutely nothing. The least thing he could do is to show support to his godbrother while simultaneously try to help Jongin get over with it. He turns his gaze to Kyungsoo

"Ahhh. Good for you Kyung. But I'm really not sure what's the big fuss is, announcing it like this is." He points out.

"Oh. Thank you bringing that up."

Kyungsoo then explains how this boyfriend of his will be coming to Korea soon and they'll be living together. This time Chanyeol doesn't just feel sorry for Kai. He feels extremely sorry for him. If there's anyone who knew everything about Kai's undying love for his godbrother, it's him. He is the receiving end whenever Kai talks about how much he likes Kyungsoo and how he's too coward to confess. He was Kai's comfort pillow when Kyungsoo went to Canada three years ago. He's the only person that knows what made Kai use the infamous nickname.

To sum it up, he is the living witness of it all.

So he couldn’t quite comprehend how his friend is able to take all of this without even showing a hint of hurt because Chanyeol knows, that deep inside, Jongin is breaking into a million of pieces. For not only Kyungsoo got a boyfriend but technically a live-in partner soon. 

"Well, look at the time. I'm sorry guys, I need to go now. There's this party I've been invited so I really need to go."

Chanyeol's thoughts are interrupted when Kai stood up. He, switching on his big brother mode, immediately tell the others that he'll be driving Kai at the said party. And while in truth he knows there's no party, he knows he's got to be at Kai's side this time.

So with acknowledgement from Sehun, Kris and Kyungsoo, they make their way out of the restaurant.

 








Hello. Bet you didn’t expect an update coming so soon. Hehe. I just want to make up with you guys so here… I’m giving you another update. Also I apologize if there's a lot of erros here. I'm too tired to recheck them. >< And I seriously wanted to thank you guys for the response on the last chapter. Didn'e even know you'll consider my fail fluff. lol. So let’s talk about this chapter shall we?

Baekhyun and Chanyeol aren’t boyfriends yet. I hope I made that clear. And I don’t know how long will it takes for Baekhyun to say yes. We’ll see in the future. And I kind of put KaiSoo(broken… poor Jongin)  in this chapter and I purposely left Kyungsoos boyfriend’s name. I’ll reveal it in the next chapter.

I know you’re dying to know the real deal with Suho/Joonmyeon. But we still have to wait a little longer. Okay, as compensation, Suho is definitely a Park.  *shuts my mouth to stop talking any longer*

That’s it for now! See you on next update. Don’t forget to put your thoughts on today’s update. Hi to all of my new subscribers. Thank you, thank you so much. ^__^V