XXVI

Taking Chances...

26


     Chanyeol paces back and forth in front of his father’s office door. He’s been doing that for almost ten minutes and now taking one final breath of courage, he knocks.

A stern voice of ‘come in’ is heard and Chanyeol makes his way inside. He sees how his mother stands up to make her exit. But even before she could completely leave, he stops her.

“I want you here mother.” He says as he sits in front of his father’s table. If you look at his father, he might not seem to be scary but Chanyeol know better. And to be honest, he’s a bit intimated. His mother sits beside him and a few second of silence is felt.

“What is it that you seek Chanyeol?” Mr. Park says as he leans back to his office chair giving a really powerful man image. Chanyeol stops for a bit to re-gather his once had confidence.

“It’s about the arranged marriage.” He opens up after a while. “Tell me more about it. You have my ears.” He heard his mother gasps and sees his father smirking.

 “She’s my friend’s daughter.” Mr. Park starts. “Me and your mother has been talking with her parents for a while now and they seems okay with the idea.”

“And the girl?” Chanyeol questions with brow quirk upward.

“She’s okay with it.” Mr. Park answered proudly.

“What will I benefit with all of this?”

“Money… Power… A lot of things, my son.”

 “I’m not like you.” Chanyeol scoffs.

“Sure you’re not.” Mr. Park scoffs back in return.

Biting his lip, Chanyeol fell into silence once more.

“Let me meet her.” He says as he stands up. “Tomorrow. Let me meet her.”

Chanyeol quickly makes his way towards the door. The air inside his father’s office is suffocating him. He wants out. Immediately.

He runs off as quickly as he shuts the door intending to lock himself into his room once more. But then his mother calls for him. He tries to drown his mother’s voice but after the third call, as he hears his mother’s strain and weak and vulnerable voice, he stops dead on his tracks.

“Chanyeol…” Mrs. Park calls out once again but Chanyeol did not dare to turn around.

“Don’t involve yourself with something you’ll regret in the future. I never agreed to this arrange marriage in the first place. I’ll help you. Just please, tell me you don’t want this.” She pleads. And although he can’t see her, Chanyeol knows she’s crying.

“I’ve already made my decision mother.” Chanyeol tries to sound unaffected as much as possible but her mother’s next question made him falters in a second.

“Will you be happy?” Mrs. Park asks and suddenly the face of a happy and smiling Baekhyun with another guy filled his visions and all he could think of is,

“Yes.”

Then he walks away.

₰₰₰

Baekhyun run out from the coffee shop as soon as his shift ends. He clutches tightly to the small paper he received from Kyungsoo and intends to get to the written address immediately. He needs to learn the truth. He needs to be enlightened. He deserves to know every single thing.

He didn’t realize that the written address is the address of the nearby hospital up until he arrived at the entrance of the building. He wipes his sweats away and tries to look presentable as possible despite wearing a casual shirt and worn out jeans.

When he finally deems himself worthy to face his brother or Chanyeol’s brother, however it works, he enters the building.

He walks to the front desk and immediately greeted by an old woman. The woman looks stern and scary and Baekhyun’s heart dropped to the floor.

“What can I do for you?” The old woman asks, face blank.

“I’m wondering where I could see Park Suho?” Baekhyun fidgets in his place.

“Do you have an appointment?”

“No?”

“Then you cannot see him.”

“But-“

“I said no young man. Now leave before I call the security.”

Scared, he waves his hands and tells the woman that he’ll be taking his leave immediately. If earlier his heart only dropped up until the floor, this time it went all the way to hell. He feels heartbroken. His chance to know the truth is now gone.

But as if the angels heard his pleas, a high pitched voice calls for him.

“Hey!”

Baekhyun turns around and sees a female in a nurse uniform jogging towards his place. He thinks her face looks familiar. Then he remembers she’s the same nurse who took care for him when he was last here in the hospital.

“Hello.” The nurse greets.

Baekhyun greets back and gives the nurse a full bow. The nurse chuckles due to his politeness.

“You’re a friend of Chanyeol right?” The nurse asks and Baekhyun answers with a yes. “Why are you here? Are you sick again?”

“No.” Baekhyun is quick to dismiss. “I came here intending to see Chanyeol’s brother but the lady on the front desk,” he looks behind the nurse’ shoulders, “said I cannot see him unless I have an appointment.”

The nurse tsk and turns around to give the unsuspecting lady a glare before giving back his attention to Baekhyun.

“Don’t mind her.” The nurse smile. “Come, I’ll lead you the way.”

Baekhyun is taken a back. His heart went from hell to heaven. He feels great joy.

“Is it okay?” He asks unsurely.

“Not really.” The nurse shrugs. “But breaking some rules is exciting. Don’t you think so?” She winks and signals for him to follow her. “Let’s go.”

They rode the elevator and got off at the third floor. They walked for a little bit until the nurse turns to a left and Baekhyun was lead to narrower hallway. Coming to what it seems like a dead end, a door to the right stands. The nurse knocks three times but there’s no answer.

Giving up, the friendly nurse opens the door without permission and leads him inside. The room looks cramp but then he notices another door.

“You have to go through Yixing first, his assistant, before you can see him.” The nurse kindly explains. “Mr. Park’s office is inside.”

 To be quite honest, he feels uncomfortable with ‘breaking rules’ thing. But then he thinks, he’ll do whatever it takes, anything to see Suho now.

“Yixing is not here so maybe he’s inside.” The nurse says. She walks towards the door leading to Suho’s door and is about to open it when her beeper goes off.

“Oh gosh.” She exclaims. “I’m needed in the emergency room like right now. I’m sorry but I have to go. Just go inside, I’m sure they won’t mind. They’ll be leaving soon anyway. Bye!”

Baekhyun’s eyes widen in surprise. One moment he’s with the nurse, the next she’s gone. He’s lost for a moment. Not knowing exactly what to do.

He decided, after a while, to just follow the nurse out and come back some other time. But a small voice inside him tells him it’s his only chance.

Taking a deep breath, he turns the knob and opens the door.

...

 

 

“What the hell?” Baekhyun gasps.

 

 

 






I'm back!
Sorry for being M.I.A! Went to a vacation recently and I had no time to write.

Anyway more dramas to come, it just started. I'll update soon! Don't forget to comment and subscibe.
Thank You. :D

TWITTER@xoxoluckyexo