XXIV

Taking Chances...

NOTE: Don't be confused because I combined the previously Chapter 24 and Chapter 23. This is an all new Chapter!

24


     After an agonizing hours and hours of Basic English Conversation lesson, finally, praise the holy god of breaks, Professor Henry called it a day. Don’t get Baekhyun wrong. He wanted to learn, as much as he can before flying to the states. But doing the ‘My name is Baekhyun Byun. I’m from Korea’ over and over again can’t get really tiring. Jongdae isn’t much of a help either because the bastard -not really- speaks the language like it’s his mother tongue. And yeah he likes to show off.

Professor Lau is a great teacher, cool even. He isn’t intimidated by him in any way. He even suggested that they address each other on a first name basis. A preposition which he turns down immediately for it’s not appropriate. Well for him anyway, because Jongdae being Jongdae just did just as that. If Baekhyun’s going to be ask whether the two is a student –teacher or bestfriend-bestfriend and he doesn’t know them, he’s hundred and five percent sure he’ll answer ‘boyfriends’. Yep. That’s how comfortable they became to each other in a span of two hours.

All jokes aside, Baekhyun enjoys his first English lesson. It brought him back to his grade school years.  Back when all things were great and he’s not worrying about a thing. Ooops. He shook his head. He shouldn’t be thinking about that now. He’s determined to start anew and part of it is to forget whatever happened in the past. It’s a first step.

He starts to gather his things, putting his written notes and newly given English book inside his bag. Just as he finished putting everything in, he felt a light tap on his shoulders. He turns around and saw Jongdae grinning at him, asking him his schedules for the day. He shakes his head and says he doesn’t have anything scheduled since it’s the first day back at university but has a shift to take on the coffee shop.

Jongdae’s grins grew wider and said it’s perfect for he doesn’t have anything in his schedules too. He asked him if he could tag along and Baekhyun, seeing no harm of it, agrees.

Baekhyun slings his bag to his back and trudges towards Professor Henry’s table.  He bows 90° and thanks him for being a nice professor. The teacher laughs and ruffles his hair saying, it’s his pleasure to teach him. He bows once again and mumbles a ‘see you tomorrow’ before going for the door. He heard Jongdae says his goodbye -‘Bye Hyung!’-  to their professor before following his suit. He chuckles at his new friend’s friendliness.

They make their way through the slowly becoming crowded hallway, trying hard not to bump to anyone. Jongdae took a hold of his arm, an action which made him look at his new friend’s way. Jongdae just grins at him and says ‘so we don’t lose each other’.  Baekhyun just went through with it.

When they finally get out of the hallway, Baekhyun flashes a grateful smile towards Jongdae before untangling the arm from him. Jongdae pats his head before nudging him and says ‘you’re welcome your highness’. Baekhyun once again just chuckles and starts walking.

Unbeknownst to them, amidst of the crowded hallway, a pair of eyes are watching them with hurt and feeling of betrayal. A pair of eyes which belong to someone who’s going through a lot and in dire need of comfort from someone he dearly loves and misses.

 

 

Baekhyun and Jongdae arrive at the coffee shop not long after. As they enter, Jongdae side commented how the ambience of the establishment has a homey feeling plus the smell of the coffee made him swear that this coffee shop is now his favorite. Baekhyun smiles and silently agree with what just Jongdae said. This coffee shop has been his third home and he’s going to miss this once he flew out of the country.

Suzy welcomes them with her usual blinding smile and asks Baekhyun if he had a good day back at the university. He gives her a smile and a small nod in response and asks her to take care of Jongdae and advances towards direction of the staff room. He passes by their newly recruit on his way and gives him an encouraging smile.

Minseok was placed in their branch three days ago and the small guy (they’re kind of the same height, really) is nothing but a sweetheart. Baekhyun can’t still believe he’s younger than the new guy. Whatnot with the chubby cheeks and baby face, he’s really surprised at the fact. Minseok also makes great tasting coffee so Baekhyun is relieved that the shop won’t suffer much damage once he leaves. He sighs. He still doesn’t know how to break out the news to Suzy. He knows the lady won’t take it lightly. They were, after all, been co-workers for a really long time. Well, he needs to do it as soon as possible.

As he trudges back to the counter, he saw Jongdae already seated on one of the tables near the glass window, mocha frappe on his left hand. Jongdae wave at him and he gives him a nod before picking up a rag to wipe the already spotless counter. It’s still an hour before the lunch rush hour.

 

When rush hour did came, Baekhyun, Suzy and Minseok finds themselves caught up on their own assigned work with no time to breathe. Suzy is managing counter; Minseok is making the ordered coffees and Baekhyun’s running here and there, serving the ordered items on the respected tables. Baekhyun thinks, for a moment, how he and Suzy were able to handle rush hour when it’s just the two of them. Shouldn’t it be easier for they already have another pair of hands to help them? But maybe the crowds today are twice the number of their usual rush hour customers. Or maybe he’s just tired from all the things happening in his currently, soon to be okay, messed up life. He liked to think it’s the former when in reality it’s crystal clear it’s the latter.

It isn’t an hour later that the shop starts to settle down. Although customers are still unstoppable, it’s not as busy as it was during the start. Jongdae also bids his goodbye sometime later saying he didn’t want to impose and he’ll see him tomorrow. Baekhyun did not miss the wink Jongdae threw towards Minseok. He feigns in disgust to his new friend’s way of open flirting. Minseok better be ready.

Baekhyun just finished serving five cup of hot coffees all the way to Moon, kidding, just a few feet away but he’s already tired and he feels like resting, when a familiar figure enters the shop. Figures, actually. He watches as his English professor trots towards the counter with someone who Baekhyun recognizes as Chanyeol’s god brother, hand in hand. Too bad he can’t remember his name. Kyungsik? Hyunsoo? He gives up trying to remember.

It did not took him long to figure out that his professor and Chanyeol’s god brother is in a relationship. Uh-oh. It’s really a small world after all. He makes his move to hide but stop midway he realize that it’s inevitable for he’s assigned to serve the customers. Such luck I have, he mumbles to himself.

Minseok finished preparing his professor’s order in less than five minutes and he finds himself walking towards their table. He makes eye contact with his professor as soon as he stopped in front of the table.

“Fancy seeing you here Mr. Byun.” Professor Lau gives him a fatherly smile. Baekhyun flashes one of his own and places the orders carefully on their table wishing Chanyeol’s god brother won’t remember him.

“How do you know him?” Chanyeol’s god brother asked his professor. So much for wishful thinking.

“He’s one of the student’s I was talking about just now.” Professor Lau replies.

“Really?” This time Chanyeol’s god brother directed the question to him. Baekhyun whimpers at his place. He nods unsurely for a response.

“I don’t know if you remember me but I’m Kyungsoo, Chanyeol’s god brother.”

“Yeah. I remember you.” Baekhyun smiles at Kyungsoo. “It’s been a while.”

“It is.” Kyungsoo chuckles.  “And oh, congratulations on the program! I bet my god brother’s so proud of you.”

Baekhyun flinches at the said statement and the action didn’t seem to get missed by Kyungsoo. A thick air of awkwardness surrounds them faster than lighting and no one made a move to break it. The three of them stood silent for a minute or so before Professor Lau’s clearing of his throats is heard.

“Thank You Mr. Byun for serving the orders. You can go back now.” Professor Lau gives Baekhyun an understanding smile. With this, he quickly gathers himself. But even before he could turn away completely, Kyungsoo calls out to him once more and utters the word that he never knew would make him nervous more than he’s finals last semester.

“Let’s talk later, okay?’

 

 

 Well, Baekhyun’s damned!

 







I have an update for you guys. Hehe. Sorry for making you wait!. :D I guess the long awaited KaiSoo chapter will be upnext. Please wait patiently. Thank you to my new subscribers. I hope you won't be disappointed with this story. I love you guys. Don't forget to leave a comment, It makes me happy! See you soon!

 

TWITTER@xoxoluckyexo