XIV

Taking Chances...

14


     True to his words, Baekhyun didn't go to his work came Monday morning. As depressing as it is, Chanyeol's right. Health indeed comes first. When he called the cafe to inform that he cannot go to work for the day, he was alreadyy expecting a 'you're fired' from his boss. But miraculously instead, he was given a three day unpaid leaved and was warned that it's the last time the management will let it slip. No one knows how relieved he felt when he was given another chance. One down, one more to go. He then called Siwon to inform him too that he can't go to work in the club for a whiles, explaining his situation and was also relieved yet again when the club owner understands. Like Chanyeol, Siwon said he should take care of himself first.

Baekhyun wonders if he hadn't met Chanyeol, would things be the same? Probably not. For the past few weeks, he learned to adore and appreciate the presence of the tall guy. Maybe all he needs is someone to take care of him. For many years he tried so hard to build a wall around his heart and shut himself from any social activities. But the moment he got to know the tall guy and how he pursue of him becoming his "friend", all of his resolves started crumbling into million pieces. As cliché as it sounds, he thinks Chanyeol is that one person who will help him get through the difficult times in the future. He may not admit it verbally, but yes he's feeling something for a certain tall guy with a goofy smile.

Well he confirmed it during uneventful night before. When he saw how genuinely Chanyeol cares for him, how he is so willing to "kidnap" him for the sake of his health. Not to mention the way they hands rest at each other. It felt so right. It was surreal. He didn't think that someone could care as much as Chanyeol does. Well— after what his father and brother did too him, he can't really blame himself for finding it hard to believe anymore and that the very idea of love became nothing but a mere myth to him.

But then Chanyeol came. He changes everything. Chanyeol, in a span of a few weeks, made him believe again that people are capable of giving unconditional love.

 

It is four in the afternoon and Baekhyun is lying on his mattress when he heard his doorbell rings (he still not sure why the building flat owner  find it necessary to put  a doorbell when he is literally just a few feet way from the front door.) Not caring about how he looks, Baekhyun opened the door to face whoever it is (maybe just a door to door salesman who will offer him ridiculous things. A good example is a sponge which doen't absorb liquid washer. Seriously now!). He is surprised though, not to see yet another salesman but a six foot tall man standing before him with a wide grin. Not to mention this guy has been the subject of his thoughts almost all day.

"Hi." Chanyeol greets.

"Hey." Baekhyun said almost unenthusiastically makinf Chanyeol frown.

"Why? You're not happy to see me?"

Baekhyun shook his head vigorously. "No. It's not that. I was just... surprised. I guess?" He bit down his bottom lip.

"Cute." Chanyeol utters.

"What?" Baekhyun asks in disbelief, blushing furiously. Chanyeol ignored him and spoke again.

"Get dress. We’re going somewhere."

"Huh? Why? Where? What?" Baekhyun inquires all at once.

"No more questions. Just get dress. We'll be late." Chanyeol said in dominative tone.

"No. Not unless you tell me where we going. For all I know, you can kidnap me and murder me without anyone knowing." Baekhyun matched Chanyeol's dominative tone but deep inside he felt intimidated to the younger. Who wouldn't? The giant is almost a foot taller than him.

"Fine." Chanyeol sighs. "We'regoingonadate."

Baekhyun froze on the spot. Did he hear it right? No, it can't be. Impossible. "I didn't quite hear it. Mind saying it again?" The tall guy frowns.

"This is so not me." He sighed once again. "I said, we're going on our first and official date." He said now with more confident.

"And what made you think I'm going? You didn't even ask me." Baekhyun crosses his arms to his chest and look intently at guy in front of him trying to act and sound normal.

"You're so stubborn." Chanyeol pouts and Baekhyun melt at the sight. "Well then, Mr. Byun Baekhyun, will you go out on a date with me?"

Baekhyun tilted his head as if thinking about the offer seriously. His heart is beating so fast that he felt like it will explode anytime soon. Although he already knew his answer to the question, he still pretended to think about the offer. "Hmmmm. Since I owe you my life, I guess I could." He said coolly and Chanyeol lit up at the answer. "Do you want to come in first while I get ready?.

"No. It's okay. I'll wait here. But don't take too long. We can't afford to be late." Chanyeol smiles, pearly white teeth showing.

"Suit yourself." Baekhyun said before closing the door gently. As soon as the door was closed, Baekhyun's mouth pulled into a huge a grin as he prepared for his and Chanyeol's first official date.

 

Baekhyun thought the Chanyeol's idea of a date is a simple chat and meal. He was wrong. After almost an hour drive (yes, Chanyeol sneaks his hands to his own again), he found himself sitting in a picnic mattress in a white-sand beach. He was astonished as the sight as well as flattered that Chanyeol went through all this for their date.

"I'm sorry it's not much. I just came up with the idea when I woke up earlier." Chanyeol said sheepishly, flopping himself off beside Baekhyun.

"No. It's actually... perfect." Baekhyun said looking over the sea. And it is, perfect. Somehow the sea made him calm and peaceful. And it's s beautiful feeling. "I like it."

"Glad you like it." Chanyeol smiled. "This is actually my secret hideout. Whenever I feel stressed or down, I always come to this beach. The sound of the wind, the waves, even the seagulls makes me forget everything." Baekhyun nodded along as Chanyeol shares some of the pieces of his personal life. "No one knew I go to this place, not even my friends. So basically you're the first person I brought here. You should feel flattered." The giant guy playfully winks

"Flattered your face." Baekhyun scoffs at the last sentence. Although deep inside he knows he is flattered. It's not really an easy work to share things about someone's own life less alone private things like this. So yes, Baekhyun's flattered but of course he will never admit it in front of the giant.

"But seriously, I'm gonna take this chance to say thank you. For everything. For caring, even though it' not your job. For being here with me." He reached out to Chanyeol's hand and gave it a light squeeze. "Honestly I didn't know people like you still  exists. A kind, thoughtful, and a caring person." Their eyes met for a fraction of seconds and they drowned into each other's gaze. "And most importantly thank you for being a friend. I appreciate all of it."   

The younger looks at him with all the love and care he could express. "Don't even mention it. From now on I'll always be here for you. Always. That's a promise."

Baekhyun didn't response at the younger's words immediately, breaking the eye contact and looks at the serene sea before him. He feels overwhelm and is actually in the verge of crying. Promises. The last time someone made a promise to him didn't kept it.

"Don't promise something that you cannot keep, Chanyeol. My brother promised to come back for me but look, four years after still no sign of him." He said almost bitterly. It's the first time he mentioned his brother to the tall guy and he knows it might create questions that needs to be answer once Chanyeol asks him in the future. But he couldn't care less. He wantes to make a point. And that is, promises are nothing but meaningless set words said to be broken.

Before he knew it, Chanyeol pulls him over and wrapped him in an embrace. That kind of embrace where he felt nothing could harm him for he is in the safest place.

"I don't really know what's the real deal with you and you brother but let me tell you what, Byun Baekhyun. I'm different from him. And I will never, in a million years, break my promise. I swear, okay?"

Baekhyun just nodded dumbly, leaning closer to the warmth of the hug. They stayed like that for a while until the tall guy speaks once again.

"Now, now the sun is going to set soon we better clean up so we can leave immediately after watching it."

Baekhyun's eye immediately shot wide as he realized the compromising position they were in. He squirms out of Chanyeol's hold and started picking up random things  around him, shoving it to the picnic basket. 

"You're really cute Baek." Chanyeol chuckles and Baekhyun's swears he's beet red at the moment. "You should see how cute you look right now, Princess.

Baekhyun stops whatever he's doing and gapes at the tall guy. "You know..." He started a few seconds of staring, "I don't really like being called with pet names. But I guess I could make an exception for you."

He wasn't met with a verbal response but rather a pair of long arms engulfing him to a back hug. Another intimate moment.

"The sun is setting. Look." Chanyeol whispers and Baekhyun could feel his nerves tingling, like being tickled by a feather. His heart is beating furiously and he can't do nothing but to comply to the younger's request. And as he stares at the bright orange scenery before him, everything inside him calmed down.

 "I think this is the part where we kiss." 

But of course Chanyeol had to ruin the moment. Baekhyun rolled his eyes at the statement and slight nudge the tall guy. He played along though.

"Well then I'll give you two options Mr. Park Chanyeol. One, I will kiss you but I will drown you afterwards. Or two, we will silently watch the sun set. Your choice." He bit his lip fighting a smile.

"I think I'll settle to –"

But even before Chanyeol can finish his sentence, Baekhyun turns around to face him, tiptoeing to kiss him on the lips. It wasn't best kiss per say. It was short and gone as soon as it came. But for the both of them,  it was the perfect first kiss they could've wish for.

"So... are you going to drown me now?" Chanyeol gives Baekhyun a loving smile as he places his forehead at the elder.

"No." Baekhyun chuckles, hitting Chanyeol lightly. "Well not for today at least. But be sure to keep your promise. Coz' if not, I'm not just going to drown you, I will torture you. Understand?"

"Yes sir!" Chanyeol salutes making Baekhyun bursts into laughter.

"You're such a dork. Come on, let's get home."

 







Hi. I'm sorry for not updating for almot three weeks. Been busy. And this time I mean it. I'm really sorry.
So about the chapter... mehhh... I failed again with fluff. I'm starting to doubt myself with fluffs. orz. And there we have it BaekYeol's first lips kiss. lol
Anyway about the last chapter, a lot of people commented Kris (as Kyungsoo's boyfriend from Canada) but guys, Kris is already in the story as Chanyeol's bestfriend. So no, it isn't Kris. We'll have to wait atleast a little more longer to know for who actually is it. 
That's it for now, I can't promise you when will I update again but please wait for it. Don't give up on me. Thanks. Don't forget to comment and subcribe, you can even upvote(not forcing you though) XD Bye!