XI

Taking Chances...

11


     When Baekhyun woke up the second time that day, instead of feeling distress because of the fact that he's in the hospital, he felt peace inside of him. And all thanks to the sleeping figure beside him.

Chanyeol.

To be very honest with himself, he was so scared earlier. Scared of not being able to pay the hospital fees. Scared of being thrown to jail. Sure he has his health insurance, but what made him felt scared than ever is the room he was confined in the moment. Minus the IV and the obvious hospital bed, the room could be mistaken as a condo unit and he's not even exaggerating. There's a flat screen TV, a big couch and a small kitchen in the corner. His flat is only 1/2 the size of this room. And of course, a room looking like this means it's a very expensive room.

He sighs dejectedly. The last thing he wants to be is to get sick. He can't afford to be sick. Not at a time like this. Vacation just started and he needs work. He needs money for the upcoming semester.  He tried to put himself in a sitting position as quietly as possible to not disturb the giant beside him but alas, as if he's sensing him, the giant beside him woke up.

"Hey, Baekhyun. Are you alright? Is there something wrong? Are you feeling unwell?"

Chanyeol bombarded him with a lot of questions at the same time and Baekhyun couldn't help but laugh at the sight before him. The giants looks utterly funny because you can easily recognized how alert and worried he is at the moment.

"Hey! Stop laughing! I'm serious here! Are you okay?"

He stops once he heard this and realized he's not in a position to laugh like a mad man because, well, he's in a hospital and he's sick. "Yeah. I'm fine Chanyeol. Better than ever." He reassured him and Chanyeol did something Baekhyun didn't see coming. The giant hugged him. Hugged him so tight that he felt his lungs are being crushed.

"Oh my god Baekhyun, you made me so worried."

Baekhyun chuckled at the giant's words and felt giddy in a good way. Someone actually cares. That's something new. Although he's feeling happy at the moment, he still can't forget the fact that he needs air to breath and Chanyeol is currently blocking it with his damn hug. "Ahh.. Cha-yeol... Let go... now... Can't... breathe..."

Chanyeol jerked backwards immediately after hearing his words and Baekhyun swear it's cute. "I'm sorry." The giant apologized. "I'm just glad you're okay now."

Baekhyun flashes him a grateful smile. "And it all thanks to you. If you didn't invite me for a meal then I would've collapse in my house with no one even knowing."

Chanyeol walked towards him and held his hand. "But promise that if you felt unwell next time, you'll tell me. Okay? Promise?"

Baekhyun nods and stares at their linked hands. Heat rises to his cheeks when he saw a glimpse of his nametag. Park Baekhyun. He quickly snatched his hand away from the giant's grips and look anywhere but Chanyeol.

"Are you okay Baekhyun?"

He felt the giant's stare piercing him but decided to ignore it. He can't let Chanyeol see him blushing. "Uhmmm... W-what happened to me?" He asks trying to act normal by opening a conversation with a new topic. Thankfully Chanyeol didn't question him anymore and decided to answer his question.

"You collapsed in the restaurant earlier."

He wanted to roll his eyes because obviously he knew that. But being a grateful bloke he is at the moment he let slip it this time. "Anything complicated?" He asked once more to get his wanted answer.

"Nope. The doctor said you'll fine. You just need some rest."

"A real good rest." A voice of man from behind said. Baekhyun and Chanyeol turn to look at the man and the former immediately recognized it as a doctor. "Hi. I'm Doctor Lee" Doctor Lee offered his hand for a handshake and Baekhyun took it. "As I was saying, you're body needs real good rest. It needs to re-energize itself and it'll take 2-3 days for you to fully recover."

Baekhyun gasped and finally turned his head to look the giant. "Nope. I can't do that. I have works tomorrow and I can't afford to miss out. I already took a long leave last last week and I'm sure they'll fire me. Oh god! I'm damned!"

"I'm sorry Mr. Park but you're body really needs to rest. If you continued overexerting yourself, you're going meet your time sooner."

"C-can I... go home now? I can rest in my house right?" Baekhyun asks not meeting either the doctor nor Chanyeol's eyes.

"Of course you can Mr. Park that's why I'm here. I need to borrow Chanyeol to sign some forms and he can drive you home. I'll call a nurse to remove your IV." Doctor Lee said. "Would you please follow me Chanyeol at the front desk?"

"Sure Doctor Lee." Chanyeol said and Baekhyun felt the giant leaned on him and whisper. "I'll explain the Mr. Park thing when I comeback."

With that, Baekhyun is left alone in his room. He let the tears he's been holding since Doctor Lee told him he needs a break from work to flow freely down to his cheeks. That's it! He's totally screwed. How on earth will he survive if he doesn't have the means of getting money? Let's be rational here, who in the world wants a bad employee? Surely he'll be kicked out in the coffee shop and the bar; oh he wish Siwon would let it slip this time. Wow. So much drama in his life. Its times like this he just wanted to disappear.

A knock is heard and Baekhyun quickly wipe the tears on his cheeks. A female clothe in white uniform came crashing in holding a tray which Baekhyun assumes the tools for removing his IV. And he was right.

"Good Afternoon Sir, I'm here to remove your IV."

Baekhyun just mumble a simple 'okay' and the nurse proceeded on doing her duty.

"You know sir, you're very lucky."

He looked up and turns to face the nurse feeling confused. "What do you mean?" He asks.

The nurse flashes him a smile. "Well, because for one you're a friend of Mr. Park and second, he likes you."

For the nth time of that day, Baekhyun blushes. "I don't know what that means." He tried hiding it but the pink color is evident all over his face. The nurse chuckles at the sight.

"You know, it's the first time I've seen Mr. Park so genuinely worried like that. Say, how long have you been together?"

"Were no—" But even before Baekhyun could defend himself, Chanyeol came barging in the room again. 

"Baekhyun, everything's settled. You can go home now." Chanyeol said.

"Thanks Chanyeol." Baekhyun flashes a grateful smile. The nurse, not wanting to disturb them, excuses herself as soon as she finishes removing his IV. He mumbles a 'thanks' and soon the nurse is out of the room.

"Hey— about the... your name tag," Chanyeol began, scratching his nape, "well, uhmmm, earlier when I was asked about your whole name, I realized you haven't mention it to me and that we haven't formally introduce ourselves to each other."

Baekhyun lifts his left eyebrow and thought about it for a while. Chanyeol's right. They haven't introduced themselves to each other. They had gone for a meal already yet they still didn't know the basic about each other. He laughed at the sudden realization. "Byun. My full name is Byun Baekhyun." He said, offering his now IV-free hand.

"I'm Park Chanyeol." The giant said grinning from ear to ear taking the offered hand and shook it. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, Mr. Park" Baekhyun replied playfully.

"No need for formalities. Chanyeol's fine." Chanyeol played along.

Baekhyun breaks free the handshake. "Thanks for everything Chanyeol. I don't how to pay you for this."

"Then let me drive you home."

He ponders about it but then turns down the offer . "No Chanyeol. I can go home by myself. You've done enough already." Chanyeol gives him a look. 

"You said you wanted to pay me right? Well, this is all I ask. I wanted to see that you get home… safe." Baekhyun opens his mouth to say something but closed it as soon as the giant shook his head. "I won't take no for answer. Come on, let's get you home."

"Fine." Baekhyun sighs in defeat and hops off the bed. Chanyeol led the way but before he could turn the door's knob, Baekhyun holds him back.

"Is there something wrong?" The giant asks, confused.

It's now or never Byun Baekhyun. Baekhyun tiptoes and placed a quick kiss on  Chanyeol’s left cheek before dashing out of the room leaving the giant startled where he stood. You made me blushed many times today, now it's your turn, Baekhyun thought as he walks down the hallway with a smile plastered on his face.

 







haha. here's an update. to tell you the truth, i've been losing the drive to continue this story. why you ask? no one talks to me or say something about the story itself. T__T but then i realized, whether someone continue to read this or not, i shall continue and finish what i started!

about the chapter, idk what to say.  finally they're out of the hospital and i can now proceed on developing their relationship. oh boy, this fic will definitely be long. >< that's all for now. TeeHee!