▸ t h r e e

Reminiscence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“He doesn't remember me," I muttered as I brushed my fingers above Ma and Pa's tombstone and out of HaeSeok's earshot. I snuck a glance at my son as he was trying to catch that little white butterfly he saw. "I met him again two days ago but he doesn't remember me at all. Worse, he's mad at me." I sighed. "What should I do, Ma?" I was silent for a moment as if I'm trying to hear mom's answer.

 

Two years ago, Papa died because of an illness that he was trying to fight for all his life. Three months later, Mama followed him to heaven. Which is why, I left Mokpo together with my son and headed to Seoul to find a living. I kind of missed them both. When times like this, times that I don't know what to do, they're always on my side to help me out. Today is Saturday and I purposely went here to Mokpo to visit them. I kind of needed them here with me right now.

 

The cold wind blew but I felt that strange heat enveloping me I almost teared up. "Is it you, Pa? Or you, Ma?" I asked. I know I sound ridiculous talking by myself. But I still went on. "Minseok doesn't recognize me at all. But I can bear that. Just not him being mad at me." I exhaled a deep breath once again. "I still love him, Ma, Pa." A tear suddenly fell from my eyes and I instantly wiped it away before my son could see me crying.

 

"Mama?" I jumped at the sound of HaeSeok's voice. "Are you okay, Mama?" He asked as he went up to me and touched my cheek.

 

I smiled at him. "I'm fine, baby. I just miss your grandma and grandpa so much." I told him.

 

He smiled as he sat beside me. He then clasped his hands together. "Grandma, grandpa, please watch over Mama and don't let her waste her tears." He said and I roared in laughter, my voice echoed through the stillness of the cemetery.

 

"That's nice of you to say, HaeSeok-ah." I told him, pinching his cheek on the process.

 

He beamed as he looked at me. "I'll behave too, Mama so you won't cry because of me." Feeling overwhelmed, I hugged him tight to the point that he complained because I was squeezing him too tight. Laughing, I let go of him and kissed him on the forehead.

 

"Let's go home now?" I asked him and he nodded. After saying goodbye to Mama and Papa, we started to walk heading towards our car. As we drove off, I couldn't seem to get Minseok off of my head. Of all people, why must it be his wife? Is this fate's way of crossing our paths together again? Why it must be this way?

 

I sighed, shaking the thoughts away when I felt my heart being ripped slowly. I can't seem to breathe. It was like my heart slowly stop pumping blood for me. And my eyes started to swell with tears.

 

"Are you okay, Mama?" I turned my head to HaeSeok and smiled at him, blinking back my tears at the same time.

 

"Mama's alright, HaeSeok-ah." I told him. Then I added, "HaeSeok-ah? It's okay with you if I'll just leave y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter