▸ t w o

Reminiscence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

My knees were shaking and I couldn't seem to stand. The nurse gave me a cup of water to drink but I ended up spilling it on my skirt because of my shaking hands. The doctors were checking up on HaeSeok and I waited for him, hoping he was alright. I can't seem to forget the car's driver as well. The driver was a woman and I was there when she got rescued from the wreck car. Her bleeding face was still visible in my head and I shivered everytime I remember it.

 

"Oh God. Please let her live." I prayed. I don't want her to die from the accident. She intentionally hit the street lamp, not us. And I want to thank her for that. I want her to live so I could thank her.

 

"Mrs Shin?" The doctor came out of the room with HaeSeok.

 

"Mama." He moved towards me and I immediately hugged him.

 

"No need to worry about anything, Mrs Shin. Your son is okay." The doctor said. I sighed in relief at that.

 

"Thank you so much, doctor." I told him and he nodded in response. I looked at HaeSeok and my eyes watered up. I couldn't believe I almost lost him. What kind of mother am I? I thought I was good at it. But I'm really not. "I'm so sorry, HaeSeok-ah.." I told him, my voice wavering.

 

"No, mama." He said as he wiped my tears. "I'm so sorry. I won't do it again, mama. I'm so sorry." With that, I hugged him again. I vowed to myself it won't happen again. I pulled away from the hug, the same moment I remember the woman. But then she was still in the emergency room and I couldn't wait for her. I know HaeSeok was tired already.

 

I looked at my son once again. "Let's go home now, baby." He nodded and together, we marched out of the hospital. This time, I'm holding his hand and I'm not letting him go.

 

 

 

“What’s wrong?" Kyungri, my co-worker and best friend, asked me when she noticed me spacing out. We were having lunch together and I was awfully quiet the whole time. "Did one of your clients harrass you or something? Are they hitting on you one by one? Seducing you or something?"

 

Smiling, I shook my head in response. "No. No clients had done that to me."

 

"Yet." She finished. I looked at her, puzzled and she winked. "You're beautiful, Haekyung-ah. Look at you. You're gorgeous. No one would ever think you have already a son."

 

"Thanks." I muttered, blushing.

 

"If one of your clients would fall head over heels in love with you, I'm not blaming them." Kyungri went on as she sipped on her coffee. "So tell me. Why are you awfully quiet today? Something happened?"

 

I sighed. I guess I have to tell her what happened last night. "We've got into an accident last night." I started and Kyungri choked on her coffee. "Are you okay?" I asked her.

 

She coughed. "I'm okay. What kind of accident?" She asked and I went on. I told her everything and she couldn't contain her gasp as she listened to me. "Oh my God. Is HaeSeok okay?"

 

"He's fine." I told her. "The doctor said it himself. It's like...it's like I failed to be a mother last night. I couldn't believe how clumsy I am to let him go. I-I mean—"

 

"It's not your fault so don't blame yourself."

 

"No, it's my fault Kyungri-ah."

 

"Hey, you got a call and you need to answer it so you let go of HaeSeok's hand for a moment to get your phone out of your bag. Now, I'm not saying that it's HaeSeok's fault. It's no one else's fault okay? It was an accident. You just happened to be at wrong place and at the wrong time." She said and I found myself nodding my head. "So how's the driver of that car?" She asked and I instantly looked up.

 

"Oh, yeah." I muttered. "I'm visiting her today." I checked my wrist wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter