▸ t w e l v e

Reminiscence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Saem was absent today and I cursed her for having a fever. Of all the days! It's Wednesday today and she was supposed to go to the Hwang's residence for the therapy of Minseok's mother-in-law. But because no one was available today except for myself, I had to fill her spot. As I was heading to the place, I can't stop the sweating of my palms. What if they will recognize me?

 

"Hello. May I ask what is your appointment?" The maid asked me as I arrived at the door.

 

"Um, I'm here for a massage therapy session with Mrs Hwang." I told her. The maid smiled at me once more as she let me in. I waited at the living room for a moment while the maid went upstairs to call for Mrs Hwang. I wandered my eyes around the mansion, fidgeting my fingers in the process. I'm hoping they won't recognize me.

 

"Hello." A voice coming from the stairs reached my ear. I immediately stood up and bowed my head. "Where's Ms Lee may I ask?"

 

"Oh, I'm filling in for her, ma'am. My name is Shin Haekyung." I replied, trying so hard not to crack my voice. She was now standing in front of me with a cane on her hand to help her walk. Last time I checked, she didn't have one and she seemed fine and no problem with walking. "Saem is currently out of office today. I deeply apologize for the short notice." I said. To my surprise, she smiled. Now I'm sure she didn't recognize me at all.

 

"It's perfectly fine, Ms Shin." She said. "So, let's get it started shall we?" I nodded. Soon enough, I was massaging her left ankle with the right pressure. And as I did, I was watching her facial reaction. She wasn't wincing everytime I pressed so I guess it wasn't that painful anymore.

 

"This will get better in no time, ma'am." I told her. "Just refrain from doing a heavy walk at this moment. Wait until your injury will be healed."

 

She smiled again. "Thank you. That's what Ms Lee told me. But is it okay if I do a walk exercise from time to time?"

 

"Yes, you may." I told her. "But don't overdo it. Ten to fifteen minutes will be fine. As it gets better, you'll able to do more than what is the required time."

 

"Thank you, Ms Shin." She said before calling the maid asking her to prepare some tea in the tea lounge. "Have some tea with me after this, Ms Shin." She smiled at me and I smiled back. I wonder if she will do the same thing to me if she'll recognize me as that woman who had caused the death of her daughter.

 

"How many times do I have to tell you, Sumi? Everything should be perfect. I want no mistakes, big or small, okay?" A woman about my age came down from the stairs, her voice was loud enough to echo in every corners of the big house. I remember her. She's that other woman inside the hospital room—Hyemi's sister and Minseok's sister-in-law at the same time. She was talking on her phone and she looked pissed. "What? There's a problem with the wedding dress? God! Can't you people make anything right?! I'm coming. I'll be there in five and prepare for your well-deserve insults, Sumi." And she cut the call, huffing out in annoyance after.

 

I couldn't help but gape at her. She looked like a tigress.

 

"Relax, honey. You'll get wrinkles." Mrs Hwang told her.

 

"Ugh, mother. My assistant is so stupid. She can't do anything right!" She snapped as she slumped on the couch next to her mother.

 

"Just stay calm, Eun Mi, dear. You are the best wedding planner in the city. Not even a small mistake of your assistant could change that."

 

"Aw, thanks mom." Eun Mi smile

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter