Chapter 8

Can I Be The Replacement?

It has been awhile since both Baekhyun and Chanyeol got to know one another. They have moved on from the shy glances to being bold enough to even flirt openly. Chanyeol have been stopping by the cafe more often than not. Sometimes alone and sometimes with Kai, his best friend. Kyungsoo have been observing the couple and he knew very well in just a few weeks, they would be going out on a date. He knows Baekhyun too well to even know when he is going out on a date. Luhan who have been in the cafe throughout the time when his mother flirted with this man that he didn't know would always cling on to Kyungsoo because his three-year old brain could not process what is his mother doing.

 

Kyungsoo was wiping the table tops once again when he heard the chime of the bell hanging above the door. He did not have to look up at who was the visitor when he heard a manly squeal coming from Baekhyun. 'It must be him,' Kyungsoo thought as he watched how Baekhyun left Luhan alone on the table and proceeded to entertaining his favourite customer. Kyungsoo went over to the three-year old and placed him where Sehun was drawing quietly.

 

“Oh hello!” Kyungsoo greeted Kai happily with his heart-shaped smile.

 

“Hi!” Kai greeted back, mesmerized once again by that blinding smile.

 

“Looks like he came again huh?” Kyungsoo said with a hint of jealousy in his voice.

 

“And this time he dragged me along with him. But its different now, hyung. He's going to ask him out on a date,” Kai said as he took a sip of his double chocolate frappe.

 

“Really? Looks like I will be bringing Luhan home for him then,” Kyungsoo said with a sigh.

 

“Luhan? Who is that?” Kai asked.

 

“Baekhyun's son. Don't ask me how and why. Ask him yourself,” Kyungsoo was quick to reply.

 

“Right. Well, Chanyeol hyung did mention about how Baekhyun hyung ever given birth to a son,” Kai said sheepishly as he looked down at a pair of brown orbs tugging on his pants.

 

“Oh hey there!” Kai said as he lifted Sehun up and placed him on his lap.

 

Sehun just stared at Kai's face. He used his small hands touching the tanned man's face, memorizing ever single features. It took Sehun a full five minutes before breaking out in a huge smile before he started squealing,”Appa!”

 

Kyungsoo stood there frozen as he watched how Sehun kept on saying the same word over and over again as Kai tried explaining to him that he is not his father. Kyungsoo did not know what to do. Sehun was right when he called Kai appa because he had to admit that Kai did look like Jongin. Kyungsoo walked over to where the duo were after he was done talking to Baekhyun (who was happily talking about his date with Chanyeol later and begged Kyungsoo to bring Luhan home for him). Kyungsoo had no doubt that Baekhyun heard it too because the both of them knew very well that Kai really looked like Jongin. Kyungsoo took Sehun away from Kai but his son started wailing begging to be held by the man whom he called appa.

 

“Sehun, honey. He is not you appa. Umma told you right that appa is in heaven watching over us,” Kyungsoo said as he tried soothing the sobbing boy.

 

“Umma! Appa! Appa!” Sehun continued screaming catching the patrons' attention.

 

Kyungsoo was at the verge of breaking down as he watched how his son was crying. He never wanted to break Sehun's heart but it was the truth; Kai is not his father, Kai is not Jongin. For the first time in two years since the time Jongin died, Kyungsoo felt like giving up. And for the first time in two years, he wished that Jongin is still there with them and Sehun didn't have to feel the pain of not having a father by his side. Kyungsoo was saved from the trouble when both Joonmyeon and Kris came walking in the cafe and Kris took Sehun away while Kyungsoo sat in the kitchen. Joonmyeon took note of the man that have been frequenting their cafe lately. He knows very well that this is the man that caused Sehun's tears and the one who might cause Kyungsoo's breakdown in two years.

 

-

 

All Kyungsoo did after his encounter with Kai was just to sit down and look through the pictures of Jongin that he kept in his phone. Kyungsoo looked up from the stool that he was sitting on when he saw Joonmyeon standing at the door with Kris who is carrying a sleeping Luhan. “Aren't you going home, Soo?” Joonmyeon asked.

 

“Nope, I don't think so, hyung. I think I am just going to hang around for a bit and I'll head back,” Kyungsoo replied with a bitter smile. His heart ached when he watched both Kris and Joonmyeon. Kyungsoo knows really well that they are in a relationship but he knows that they are keeping it low. He could see very well how Kris would look at his best friend. He wished that Jongin is here to look at him that way.

 

“The guy from this afternoon is waiting for you outside. He is playing with Sehun by the way,” Joonmyeon said bringing him out of his thoughts. Kyungsoo breath hitched at the mention of Kai playing with Sehun because he wants Jongin to be the one to play with Sehun not a look-alike.

 

“Thanks, hyung. You guys should hurry off,” Kyungsoo shooed them off with a wave of his hand.

 

The couple left Kyungsoo alone to pack his things into his bag. Kyungsoo had no choice because he can't run away from him because his son is with the younger man. Kyungsoo exhaled sharply as he placed his bag over his shoulder. He walked out of the room and found Sehun sitting on the table while Kai was showing the kid his fingers. Teaching him how to count, maybe? Kyungsoo walked over to where they are and cleared his voice. Kai looked up and smiled. He offered to take Kyungsoo's bag while he carried Sehun. They locked up the cafe and head off to have dinner at a family restaurant.

 

-

 

Dinner was awkward. Kyungsoo just focused his time on feeding Sehun while Kai watched them. Since the time Kai got to know Kyungsoo, he always thought that Kyungsoo kept a lot of secrets from him. Whenever he mentioned about Sehun's father or anything about the kid's father, Kyungsoo would change the subject immediately and his face drained from all the colours. Kai didn't want to pry into their problem but all he wanted to do was to be there for Kyungsoo. It was love at first sight. Since the first time his eyes caught the other, he always wanted to be there for him. He wants him. Kai wants Kyungsoo both emotionally and mentally.

 

After Kai paid for the food the trio walked out of the restaurant with Sehun sleeping in Kyungsoo's arms. Kai offered that he walked them home because he didn't want Kyungsoo to be walking alone in the dark. Kai didn't want anything to happen to Kyungsoo especially now that he has a kid with him. Kai genuinely care for Kyungsoo and Sehun.

 

“Hyung?” Kai said after a long silence.

 

“Hum?” Kyungsoo replied as he patted Sehun's back softly.

 

“I am sorry about just now at the cafe.” Kai said.

 

“No. its okay. Its my fault actually. Sehun doesn't remember his father and he calls every single person I am close to appa,” Kyungsoo reasoned, hoping that Kai didn't notice the hesitation in his voice. Because you really look like Jongin, Kai-ah.

 

“Kyungsoo,” Kai said as he placed his hand over Kyungsoo's cold ones. “I don't know what you and Sehun went through. I never knew about what happened to you in the past. But Kyungsoo, trust me when I say that I care for you and Sehun. I really do. I like Sehun. And I like you too, Soo.” Kai said.

 

Kyungsoo's eyes widened when he heard the three words that Kai said and the endearment that Kai used. It was the same one that Jongin uses too. “I-i... What are you saying?” Kyungsoo stuttered.

 

“You know what I am saying, Soo.” Kai said as he stood in front of Kyungsoo's apartment building. “You don't have to acknowledge my feelings but I just want you to allow me to be part of your life. Yours and Sehun,” Kai continued.

 

“I've got to go now, Soo.” Kai kissed Sehun's temple when the boy moved around in his sleep. “See you tomorrow,” Kai said after he pecked Kyungsoo on the cheeks.

 

-

 

Kris and Joonmyeon walked back to their shared apartment hand in hand with Luhan sleeping on Kris' shoulder, bowing at Kai before heading out of the cafe. They should have drove to work if only they knew that Baekhyun is going on a date with Chanyeol tonight. Kris could tell that the younger is thinking about his best friend but Kris knows that Kyungsoo could make decisions on his own. Once they reached the apartment, Joonmyeon sat down on the couch, sighing loudly. Kris got out of the room after putting Luhan to sleep and sat next to his lover.

 

“Babe, what are you thinking?” Kris asked as he put an arm around Joonmyeon's shoulder.

 

“Nothing,” Joonmyeon lied while laying down on Kris' broad shoulders.

 

“Don't lie, Joonie. I know you too well.” Kris replied.

 

“Its about that Kai kid,” Joonmyeon said as he looked at Kris. “I know he is sincere about his feelings for Kyungsoo but I am just afraid that its like re-opening old wounds. I don't want him to be broken again. Its like dejavu. I was there when Kyungsoo fell in love with Jongin,” Joonmyeon continued.

 

“Don't worry babe,” Kris said. “I know that Kai is sincere and I know too that Kyungsoo isn't too dumb to hurt himself again. He has a son anyway. Let's just sit back and watch what will happen next, okay?” Kris replied as they continued cuddling on the couch.

 

A/N: oh hey guys! i'm back! i finished most part of my project and this explains the update. i shall reward myself with showtime. enjoy this chapter! xoxo.