Chapter 17

Can I Be The Replacement?

Baekhyun knows and he understands how much Chanyeol wants him to lean on to the younger and depend on him as much as possible. But Baekhyun can never get to used to it because he has been alone for most part of his life. He was alone when he was pregnant with Luhan (because he never seen Luhan's father since then). He was alone when he brought Luhan up (even though his parents were there to help out). He was alone when Luhan said his first word, during his first crawl and also his first step. And having the man who impregnate him by his side is something that Baekhyun is not used to. Baekhyun also doesn't want to be those annoying whiny pregnant man because that is not him. Baekhyun is an independent man.

 

Baekhyun is in his third month and he knows that this is the point of time where he gets weird cravings at ungodly hours. Chanyeol was fast asleep next to him with his arms outstretched. Baekhyun has been wide awake the whole time since one in the morning and its been an hour since then. Baekhyun rubs his not that huge baby bump as he was thinking what he feels like having. Baekhyun continued pondering when the thoughts suddenly hit.

 

“Ddukbokki!” Baekhyun whispered to himself. “Yes! I want to eat Ddukbokki!”

 

Baekhyun chuckled to himself as he got off the bed quietly and changed out of his sweatpants into a pair of black skinny jeans. Baekhyun took his jacket and the house keys that was placed on the bedside table. Baekhyun whispered a soft goodnight and I'll be home soon to the snoring Chanyeol as he tiptoed out of their apartment. Baekhyun walked down the familiar pathway leading to his favourite ddukbokki shop that was just a block away from his apartment. He brought his jacket closer to his body as the autumn winds blew.

 

'It feels nice to be out to buy food that you're craving for when you're pregnant,' Baekhyun thought as he reminisced the times when he was pregnant with Luhan.

 

Beakhyun arrived at the same ddukbokki stall where he had been frequenting since when he was in high school. The ahjumma who was packing up the leftovers in small containers noticed the small boy walking towards her stall. Baekhyun has been her regular since she opened the shop.

 

“Ah, Baekhyun-shi!” The woman greeted happily. “What can I get you this early in the morning?” She continued with the same smile plastered on her face.

 

“I want to get the small container of dukkbokki,” Baekhyun said as he took out some cash to pay the lady.

 

She then handed Baekhyun a large container of ddukbokki and Baekhyun gave her the exact change for the small container. He looked at the container. He was about to return the container to the lady but she stopped him with a smile on her face.

 

“Its okay, Baekhyun-shi. Its on me. You're pregnant again, aren't you?” She asked as she eyes Baekhyun's stomach.

 

“How do you know, ma'am?” Baekhyun asked as he placed his hand over his bump.

 

“I can see it. Its obvious. You're about three months, aren't you?” She asked as she observed Baekhyun closely.

 

Baekhyun shyly nodded his head in response as he slowly rubbed his belly. “Who's the father?” She asked with concern because she knew about what happened to Luhan's father and she doesn't want a repeat of events as she loved Baekhyun like her own son.

 

“Its the tall guy I am always with,” Baekhyun said with a blush.

 

“Omo! Oh really? That boy is a good one. I always see him around before the both of you started going out. He's a good one. Better be nice to him okay?” The lady said to which Baekhyun could only blush deeper.

 

“I need to go now. He must be worried that I have been gone for sometime,” Baekhyun said as he bowed in respect.

 

-

 

Baekhyun tiptoed into his now shared apartment with Chanyeol and shrugged out of the jacket that he was wearing. Baekhyun then placed the jacket on the rack that he placed right next to the door and the keys into the glass bowl. He made his way to the kitchen and sat down on one of the stools. Baekhyun his lips as he opened the container with his ddukbokki and grabbed one of it in between his chopsticks.

 

Baekhyun was about to place the ddukbokki into his mouth when a deep voice interrupted his moment,”Where did you go?” Chanyeol asked as anger laced in his voice.

 

“I-i went out to buy some ddukbokki,” Baekhyun stuttered as Chanyeol's face came into view.

 

“Why didn't you tell me?” Chanyeol asked as he sat on the other stool.

 

“Be-because I didn't want to wa-wake you up. Anyway, I am used to this already,” Baekhyun replied timidly.

 

“Come on Baek!” Chanyeol said as he ran his fingers through his hair. “How many times do I have to tell you to tell me when you need anything. We are in this thing together, remember?” Chanyeol said as he wrapped his huge hands over Baekyhun's smaller ones.

 

“But I can do it on my own,” Baekhyun weakly protested.

 

“Baek, I know you're alone when you had Luhan. But the life that is growing inside of you right now is something that we created together. I am here for you, Baek. Please realise that,” Chanyeol begged.

 

“Y-yes. I got it,” Baekhyun answered. “I am sorry Chan. I love you,” Baekhyun replied as he leaned over to peck Chanyeol on the lips.

 

-

 

Baekhyun just went on his third ultrasound together with Chanyeol and Luhan. Baekhyun held the picture of the sonogram in hand as he sat at the back with Luhan. Baekhyun caressed the picture with his fingers and smiled to himself once again. Baekhyun would look at the same circle that the doctor indicated for the couple. Right above the circle, it says its a boy! Baekhyun swore that his cheeks hurt from all the smiling and giggling. Luhan was left there looking dumbfounded as he watched his umma doing the same thing over and over again.

 

“Umma?” Came Luhan's small voice to which Baekhyun hummed in response. “What's that?” He asked as he pointed to the sonogram on Baekhyun's hands.

 

Baekhyun's face lit up as he realised that his oldest son has taken an interest in his baby brother,”This is your baby brother, Luhan-ah,” Baekhyun said as he showed the picture to Luhan.

 

“Dongsaengie?” Luhan asked as he patted Baekhyun's bulging stomach. “I am going to be a hyung?” He asked.

 

“Yes, honey. You're going to be a hyung,” Baekhyun smiled down at his son.

 

Luhan leaned onto Baekhyun's shoulder as they admired the sonogram together. Chanyeol glanced over at the mother and son at the back. Chanyeol couldn't feel anymore blessed than this.

 

The ride back to their apartment was quiet with Chanyeol's eyes focused on the road, Luhan laying down on his mother's lap as Baekhyun ran his fingers through the soft dark brown locks and Baekhyun glancing outside the window as he reminisced the times when he was pregnant with Luhan. Baekhyun really did not want to remember all the memories but when Kyungsoo started talking about his first pregnancy when they dropped by the cafe earlier, it got Baekhyun thinking.

 

-

 

It was obviously wasn't easy for Baekhyun who is a nineteen-year old boy who just started college. Baekhyun had dreams. Baekhyun always wanted to be a singer. If he wasn't a singer, he just wished to be in the music industry. That was the least he could do. That was the reason why he enrolled himself in one of Seoul's performing arts college. It was one of the most popular colleges in Asia and his parents spent most of their money on supporting their one and only son there. But his dreams were all crushed because of one night of drinking, one night of unprotected and one man who he never remembers.

 

The first two months of his pregnancy was not an easy one. He had a hard time hiding the whole fact from his friends and family. Because for one; if the school ever finds out that he is pregnant while pursuing his studies, it is an immediate expulsion and two; he did not want to waste his parents money and bring them shame. But his efforts in keeping the pregnancy a secret were all in vain because the school board did found out about it and eventually got expelled. He told his parents about the whole pregnancy and they supported him no matter what happens.

 

Baekhyun was depressed for most of the time because he always thought that the thing that was growing in his stomach is the reason why he could not pursue his dreams. And it was the same thing that could remind him of the man who left him all alone after taking his ity away. Beakhyun did even thought of aborting the baby because he never intended of bringing it into this world because he doesn't deserve to be here. It was because of one of the sonogram that made him keep the baby. It was during his sixth ultrasound check where he found out that he is carrying a boy. The doctor also happened to snap a photograph of the baby smiling. It was that smile that made Baekhyun think that the baby is worth keeping because he wants to see it.

 

Luhan was born soon after and he was glad that his son inherited his feminine features because he was sure that he doesn't want his baby to resemble that despicable man. Baekhyun watched his son grow and over time, he fell in love. Baekhyun fell in love with Luhan because the boy was there when he needed someone. Luhan was his only pillar of strength; both emotionally and mentally. He was grateful that he did not abort this angel that was given by the heavens. Because Baekhyun swore that he would do anything to make his son happy even if it means that he has to let go the love of his life.

 

-

 

Baekhyun was brought out of his reverie when he felt Chanyeol's hand on his knee,”Baek, are you okay?”

 

“Ye-yeah, why am I not?” Baehyun asked as he rubbed his eyes.

 

“You cried.” Chanyeol stated as he got out of the car.

 

“I just remembered how I conceive Luhan. The journey and till now,” Baekhyun said as he walked next to Chanyeol who was walking next to him.

 

“That's something you shouldn't remember because I want you to know that you have us now,” Chanyeol pointed to himself and the baby inside of Baekhyun.

 

Baekhyun stopped walking as he held Chanyeol's hands,”Channie, thank you for everything. Thank you for accepting me and Luhan as we are. Thank you for not walking out when you find out that I am pregnant. Thank you for wanting to be a part of us. And thank you very much for loving us,” Baekhyun said as he pecked Chanyeol's lips.

 

“Your welcome,” Chanyeol said as he gaze into Baekhyun's eyes.

 

“And I promise I'll try to depend on you more often even though I am not good at that,” Baekhyun said as they walked into their shared apartment.