Chapter 5

Can I Be The Replacement?

Its been two years since Sehun was born and also Jongin's death. Kyungsoo have been coping well with not having Jongin by his side even though he still uses their wedding ring and also carries the latter's surname. Kyungsoo have to admit that the first few months after Sehun's birth was the most difficult because there were times where Kyungsoo did not know what to do with his son and he always hoped that Jongin would miraculously come back to life. But Kyungsoo later learned that Sehun would only calm down when Kyungsoo mentioned Jongin's name. Kyungsoo then vowed that he should bring Sehun to Jongin's grave often. Sometimes, Kyungsoo found it amusing that he would inform his ex-husband of all their son's development. From his first crawl, to his first step and also his first word which was surprisingly appa. But Kyungsoo was glad that he could share a part of this happiness with his ex-husband.

 

Today, is one of those days where they would be visiting Jongin's grave. This time the visit would hold more meaning than the other times because Sehun is finally able to form simple sentences on his own and it also marks two years since Jongin's passing. Kyungsoo was in his room getting Sehun to dress warmly but the boy is too hyper to even listen to his umma.

 

“Kim Sehun!” Kyungsoo raised his voice at last,”Can you please put on your coat?” Kyungsoo pout.

 

“No!” Sehun said as he ran out of his room to where his Uncle Joonie and Uncle Kris are sitting.

 

Kyungsoo walked out and sighed when he saw how his son is cuddling up to Kris while showing the older a picture of his father. Kyungsoo passed the coat to Kris as the kid obediently put it on. These days, Sehun have not been listening to whatever he was saying and opted to listening to Joonmyeon and Kris instead. Well, it was something that Kyungsoo expected because the couple have been living in the apartment since his birth till date. Kyungsoo went into the kitchen table and got the bouquet of Baby's breath and white roses before heading out to their car.

 

-

 

Once they reached the cemetery, Sehun dashed out of the car and walked up the familiar path to where his father is buried. Kyungsoo chased after his son because he was terrified that he would get lost. Kris placed his hand on Kyungsoo's shoulder to stop the latter from chasing after Sehun.

 

“You know, Soo. Sometimes its okay to let him run around on his own and explore his surroundings,” Kris explained.

 

“B-but. I am just afraid I might lose him. And what if what if-” Kyungsoo said

 

“-No what ifs, Soo. You may not realise it but Sehun is an independent two-year old. And you might not believe me but Sehun have been here more than you imagined.” Joonmyeon explained.

 

“What do you mean, hyung?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“No explanations, Soo. You need to see Jongin now,” Joonmyeon said as he shooed the younger away.

 

-

 

“Appa! Annyeong!” Sehun happily greeted as he removed the dried leaves away from his father's tombstone.

 

“Thehunnie learned thomething new today!” Sehun exclaimed.

 

Sehun then stood in front of the tombstone and placed his fingers over his head making it into a huge heart shaped,”Appa! Thehunnie wuv you,” Sehun said as he threw the hearts towards his father's grave.

 

Kyungsoo watched from afar as his son played and talked to his father about his day. Sehun developed this same habit over time because Kyungsoo did the same. After he was done, he turned around and waved to his mother pulling the man towards his father's grave before running off to play with his uncles at the sidewalk.

 

“Hey, Jongin,” Kyungsoo greeted as he placed the bouquet of flowers down. “How are you?” Kyungsoo asked as he chuckled to himself. “What am I asking hmm? Obviously you can't answer me. I really hope that you're watching us from above. Have you seen how much our son grew? He's becoming more like you. He's playful and mischievous. He has your eye smile whenever he laughs though. Did I tell you? Sehun is able to form simple sentences on his own now but he has a lisp though. I saw him throwing hearts to you just now. Did you manage to catch it? It is one of the things that I taught him and he loves it a lot. Anyway, baby, do you know what day it is? Its been two years since you left and I am still madly in love with you. You see this,” Kyungsoo said as he showed his ring finger,”I am still wearing our wedding ring. Our third anniversary is next month. I still celebrate it but with Sehun now. He would always watch our wedding video and wishes to be like you. He is turning two on 12th April.” Kyungsoo said as he ran his fingers over the tombstone and started sobbing.

 

“I think I should go. Sehun is making a fool of himself and I don't want him to disturb the other people. I should get Joonmyeon hyung and Kris hyung here too,” Kyungsoo said,”I love you Jongin, now and forever,” Kyungsoo said as he stood up and walked away.

 

-

 

“Hey, Jongin,” Kris said. “It seems like Kyungsoo cried again, huh? He always cry, I guess he really misses you. Wellll, Joonie and I don't really have anything much to say but I kind of have something to admit.”

 

Kris held Joonmyeon's hand and intertwined their fingers before bringing them up,” Well, we are in a relationship. I think I have you to thank for that. Thanks for giving me the courage to confess and capture this angel's heart. We haven't told any of our mutual friends yet especially Soo because Joonie isn't ready yet but we will soon. If you're here with us today, I know you'll be running to Kyungsoo and announce the big news right? Anyway, we have to go now. Continue watching over us in Heaven. And bless us especially Kyungsoo and Sehun with all the love we need,” Kris said

 

“You will always be missed,” Kris said.

 

-

 

“Kim Sehun!” Kyungsoo half-whispered and half-screamed,”What are you doing?! Stop tugging on that Hyung's sleeves,” Kyungsoo reprimanded his son and pulled his son away.

 

“Nuuuuuu! Umma! I want pway hyung!” Sehun whined while stomping his feet.

 

“Okay, honey. You can play with hyung but when we get out of here. Its unpleasant to be playing around here,” Kyungsoo explained as he gathered his son's in his arms. The kid's father did the same as Kyungsoo as Kyungsoo bowed to the man and continued waiting for both of his friends. Sehun laid his head on Kyungsoo's shoulder as he continued pouting.

 

“Umm, excuse me?” The man whispered as he peeked at Kyungsoo. “Are you Do Kyungsoo?” He asked.

 

“Umm, yeah. I am. My name is now Kim Kyungsoo. I took my husband's surname,” Kyungsoo said. “I'm sorry but you are?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“Baekhyun! Byun Baekhyun! Don't you remember? We used to be classmates back in high school!” Baekhyun exclaimed.

 

“Ah! Baekhyun! I remember you!” Kyungsoo exclaimed as the duo exchange hugs with much difficulty because they are carrying their sons.

 

“Is this your son?” Baekhyun asked as he patted Sehun's back softly.

 

“Yeah, he is. His name is Kim Sehun. Mine and Jongin's son,” Kyungsoo explained. “And that is yours?” Kyungsoo asked as he gestured to the kid.

 

“Yup! His name is Byun Luhan. So, where's Jongin?” Baekhyun asked.

 

“He passed away,” Kyungsoo explained, eyes downcast. “We are here on our weekly visits actually. How about you? Where is your spouse?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“I'm so sorry! I didn't know!” Baekhyun apologised sincerely,”Well, I got him in a one night stand. I never knew his name. I got pregnant but I brought him up on my own and so here we are right now,” Baekhyun explained.

 

“Hey, why don't we talk over coffee at the First Spring Cafe? Its mine and a childhood friend's shop. It is dedicated to Jongin actually,” Kyungsoo offered to which Baekyhun gladly agreed.

 

 

 

A/N: I've got to admit that this is the most stupid cafe name ever but this is something that both Jongin and Kyungsoo have in common. they love Spring. so yeah! that's how i got the name. :) enjoy this chapter! xoxo