Chapter 21

Can I Be The Replacement?

When both Kris and Joonmyeon arrived at the lobby of Baekhyun and Chanyeol's apartment, Kyungsoo was already a sobbing mess. Kyungsoo ran into Joonmyeon's arms and continued sobbing. Kris just watched the two best friends and he observed how Kyungsoo was limping when they walked to the car and how Sehun isn't with Kyungsoo. Kris could tell that something wasn't right and by the looks of it, it has something to do with Kai and also Sehun. As much as he wanted to ask Kyungsoo what happened, Kris understood that Kyungsoo needs the space after all that happened.

 

Once they arrived at their shared apartment, Kyungsoo took careful steps to the couch as he placed his hand on his lower back. Joonmyeon seems not to notice what happened to his best friend as he prepared tea for him. Kyungsoo hugged his knees closer to his chest as Kris watched him. Joonmyeon appeared from the kitchen with three cups of tea and he handed one to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo sipped on the tea. Joonmyeon placed a hand on Kyungsoo's knee like he was trying to tell the younger that its okay to tell him what happened the night before. Kyungsoo told the other how they found out about Baekhyun and Chanyeol are expecting another son to how they watched the children played together and to how they had a drinking game together which somehow ended with him and Kai on bed together.

 

Kyungsoo's shoulder shook as he started sobbing once again,”Shhh. Its going to be okay, Kyungsoo,” Joonmyeon chanted over and over again as he rubbed the latter's back softly.

 

“Its not, hyung,” Kyungsoo said in between sobs. “What am I supposed to do if I got pregnant with Kai? I am still married to Jongin. I have no right to be using this ring anymore,”Kyungsoo said as he attempted to remove it.

 

“No, Kyungsoo its okay. Even if you're pregnant again, we are going to be there for you, even the kid's father,” Joonmyeon said as he held Kyungsoo's face between his palms. “And you're not married to Jongin anymore, Soo. So its okay to sleep with someone else.” Joonmyeon finished as he kissed Kyungsoo on his forehead.

 

Kyungsoo could only just nod in response because he doesn't know what to think when Joonmyeon said that he isn't married to Jongin anymore. Yes, he knows that once a person's husband dies, he is a widow. But Kyungsoo can never accept the fact that Jongin is dead. He always thought the latter is still alive. But since Kai came, Kyungsoo have learnt how to slowly accept the presence of the other. Kyungsoo was at loss when he found out that he slept with another man when they are not legally married.

 

Kyungsoo soon drifted off to sleep as he already tire himself from all the crying. Both Kris and Joonmyeon got a blanket and covered the small figure with and kissed his forehead. The duo prayed that Kyungsoo would stop wallowing in self-pity and just accept things the way it is. They head out of the apartment and drove off to Baekhyun and Chanyeol's apartment to pick Sehun up.

 

-

 

Once they arrived at Baekhyun and Chanyeol's apartment, they were greeted by the sight of Kai sleeping with Sehun laying on top of his chest using his small hands gripping onto Kai's shirt. Joonmyeon's heart swell at the image that was in front of him. Joonmyeon understood that Kyungsoo is maybe in love with Kai. And for Kyungsoo to leave the apartment without listening to Kai's side of the story was wrong. Kyungsoo wasn't being fair towards the younger. Kyungsoo knows really well that he is not a good drunk. He gets very seductive. Kyungsoo has no one to blame except for himself when that happened.

 

Baekhyun led them to the kitchen as they continued watching Sehun sleeping on top of Kai's chest, moving around every now and then when he feels uncomfortable. Kyungsoo should be here to witness this scene. Kyungsoo should stop blaming Kai for everything that is happening. After watching them sleeping for the past ten minutes, Joonmyeon unconsciously placed his hand over his flat belly. It hurts him to know that he is not able to get pregnant because he wants to and he need to.

 

Kai woke up soon after because of the chatters coming from the kitchen, courtesy of Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Kris. He got up from the couch and placed a still sleeping Sehun on the couch. Kai was about to head to the kitchen when Sehun starts making a whiny sound. It seems like as if he knows that he is not lying on the same hard and warm chest. Kai picked the kid up and sat on one of the stools as Joonmyeon continued observing him.

 

“Can I?”Joonmyeon asked as he stretched his arm towards Kai and Sehun.

 

Kai nodded in response as he shifted Sehun comfortably in Joonmyeon's arms. Sehun moved in his sleep as he felt himself being shifted. Sehun blinked up and realised that it wasn't Kai anymore and he started wailing. Kai got up and rubbed the small back softly repeating Kai appa is here and I am not going to leave you, ever over and over again. Sehun resorted to resting his head on Kai's shoulder as he on his thumb.

 

“You look like Sehun's father,”Joonmyeon commented.

 

“Yeah, I know. I look like Jongin hyung. Kyungsoo told me that a lot,”Kai replied with a sincere smile.

 

“No, that's not what I meant. What I meaning to say was that its like you ARE Sehun's father. You seem so natural at this. Sehun is also very comfortable with you.” Joonmyeon remarked as Sehun turned to him because he heard his name being called.

 

“Mind telling us about last night?” Kris was the first one who brought up the issue at hand.

 

Kai looked around as he realised there are already four pair of ear waiting for him to give his version of the story. The beginning of the story was the same for Kyungsoo too. How they gathered in this very apartment to celebrate the news of both Baekhyun and Chanyeol are expecting a son and how they had a drinking game after. Kyungsoo got even more drunk than he was when they started the game and Kyungsoo starts dropping Kai hints about , according to Kai. Joonmyeon and Kris had their mouths hanging open by the time Kai wrapped up the story; inserting some of their ual activities to which Joonmyeon doesn't want to think of.

 

“Is Kyungsoo okay?” Kai asked timidly

 

“Kind of. He was a crying mess when we arrived at our apartment. But he is fine before we left,” Joonmyeon explained.

 

“Are you here for Sehun?” Kai asked.

 

“Yeah, we're here to pick him up and send him home to his umma,” Joonmyeon said.

 

“Oh. I see,” Kai replied as he placed Sehun in Kris' arms.

 

The couple got up and headed for the door after Baekhyun gave Joonmyeon Sehun's bag. Sehun was happy when he got to be in Kris' arms again because to his two-year old brain, its been so long since he last saw Uncle Kris and Uncle Joonie. Kai waved them off at the door and it was then Sehun's facial expression starts to change. It took Sehun a full second before he starts wailing. They realised that Sehun maybe thought that Kai is going to leave him like how his umma did. They were left with no choice but to drag Kai along back home.

 

-

 

The drive back to the apartment was quiet. The only sounds that were heard are the constant sighs coming from Joomyeon and Kris knew very well its because Joonmyeon was thinking about his disability. Kris used one of his other hand to squeeze his lover's in an attempt to tell him that its going to be okay and they will be able to carry their own child one day. Kai watched as the couple exchanged a muted conversation and he thought that it would be nice that both him and Kyungsoo could be like this. He really love Kyungsoo. The whole was a misunderstanding and Kai thinks that he has every right to tell Kyungsoo what happened and he has both Chanyeol and Baekhyun to give their view of the story.

 

Once they arrived at the apartment, Kris opened the door for Kai and let the latter in. Kai saw Kyungsoo curled in the blanket. Kai noticed the hickeys on his necks and guilt washed over him. It was a mistake, Kai knew that. Kai regretted it more the moment his eyes landed on the figure on the couch. Kai wants to apologise to Kyungsoo and make up for all the mistakes he made. Because Kai never loved someone as much as he loves Kyungsoo and he already promised himself to be Jongin's replacement, he may not be the best but Kai hopes to fill in the empty space in Kyungsoo's heart.

 

“You can just sit there for awhile because Sehun might want you to stay,” Kris explained.

 

“Th-thanks,” Kai stuttered.

 

“Just don't do anything stupid. Anything that would make Kyungsoo angry. He loves you.” Kris continued as he squeezed Kai's shoulder. “Me and Joonmyeon will be going somewhere but we'll be home a little after lunch but definitely before dinner,” Kris finished before heading out.

 

-

Joonmyeon could only stare at Kris in shock when the latter suddenly said that he wanted to bring them somewhere. When he asked his lover where are they going, Kris chose not to reply him but he assured the younger that it is something that would make him happy. Joonmyeon's mind went wild at all the possible thoughts that would make him happy. Is it a proposal? No, that isn't possible because Kris never dropped hints about marriage, not even once. Or maybe an adoption? Because he always talked about how he wants a kid. Joonmyeon wants his own kid. A child of a product from his and Kris' love. Joonmyeon was taken out of his reverie when Kris declared that they have arrived at their destination. Joonmyeon did not have a chance to even take a look at where they are at because they are in the basement parking lot.

 

Joonmyeon just allowed Kris drag him along. Kris signed his name at the counter as he pulled Joonmyeon into one of the rooms. The doctor sitting behind the table smiled at the couple as he gestured for them to take a seat.

 

“So, my name is Doctor Lee and I will be the one who is going to be helping you for the next year or so,” The said man introduced himself.

 

Joonmyeon gave Kris a surprised look as he is still not sure what is going on,”Just go with the flow, Joonie,” Kris whispered as he patted Joonmyeon's thigh.

 

“Okay, so I will be asking the both of you some personal questions but with the answers I can help you guys have your own child,” Doctor Lee said.

 

Joonmyeon's ears perked up at the mention of your own child. But he soon smiled because he knows that Kris is doing whatever he can in order for Joonmyeon to be able to carry their own child.

 

“Okay, from all the reports that I have collected from Mr Wu, I noticed that the both of you are trying for a baby. Mr Wu is able to give Mr Kim a child. But according to my reports, Mr Kim is able to impregnate someone and also get himself pregnant and because of that, your womb is weak. Am I right?” Doctor Lee asked to which Joonmyeon nodded in response.

 

“Well, Mr Kim don't be sad just yet because we still can make this work. I just have to run a few checks on your body and in a few months, you will be able to have you own child together with Mr Wu.” Doctor Lee said as he got up from where he is and instructed Joonmyeon to lay on the bed beside the table.

 

Joonmyeon laid on the table like he was told to do so. To say that he wasn't nervous would be an understatement because he is shaking so much while lying down on the table that he thought Kris could feel his hand shaking. The doctor poured the gel onto Joonmyeon's stomach as he used the remote and moved it in circular motion. He pointed to the area and told Joonmyeon that it was his womb. According to the doctor, the reason why he is not able to hold a baby is because the walls of his womb is not strong enough to last for nine months. The most that his womb could withstand was actually six month. But both Kris and Joonmyeon had nothing to worry about because the doctor would do anything he can to strengthen his womb. This would only mean one thing: Joonmyeon has to visit the doctor once every month till his womb is deemed to be strong enough for him to conceive.

 

Once they walked out of the hospital, Joonmyeon could not stop grinning from ear to ear because he is now able to conceive,”Thank you, Kris,”Joonmyeon said softly as he turned to smile at his boyfriend.

 

“Yeah. Anything for you. For us,”Kris said.

 

“I'll promise that I will work hard to stay healthy once I am pregnant,” Joonmyeon said.

 

“Good for you, honey,”Kris said as he kissed Joonmyeon's forehead,”But Joonie, as much as I want to get you pregnant soon, I still think its more appropriate for us to be married before I can impregnate you,” Kris said with a smirk.