Chapter 37

Can I Be The Replacement?

“KAI! DON'T PUT IT THERE!” Kyungsoo's voice came booming in the nursery.

 

The couple is doing their last preparations while waiting for the arrival of their son. Kyungsoo was being more naggy than he was the first time he is pregnant. Kai learnt from the doctor that once Kyungsoo reaches his last trimester and during his last month, he will be more cranky than the other months. If Kai is not able to bear the mood swings during his first trimester, he definitely will not be able to bear the ones now. Kai sighed for the umpteenth time that week because he had enough of Kyungsoo ordering him around.

 

“Kyungie~ what's wrong with putting the lights here?” Kai whined.

 

“Because it won't look nice and our son would not like it!” Kyungsoo reasoned.

 

“And how do you know that he would not like it?” Kai asked. “He is not even born yet. He didn't tell you that he wants the lights to be there instead,” Kai said as he pointed at the wall next to the cot.

 

“Its a mother's instinct, you idiot!” Kyungsoo screamed for the third time that day as he threw the pillows on Kai's face.

 

“Umma. Sehunnie hungry. I want food,” Sehun whined as he came into the room rubbing his tummy.

 

Kyungsoo gladly held his son's hand and walked to the kitchen. Kai was left there on the ladder with the lights in his hands and the pillows and bedsheets scattered on the floor. His life could get any more horrible than this. The week before they started decorating the nursery, Kyungsoo came back home from the café crying because he thinks that Kai does not love him or the baby. Kai spent hours convincing the older man that he is very much in love with him as the time when he walked into the café more than a year ago. Kai then learnt that Kyungsoo was so upset that he hadn't get the room done and he was due any time now.

 

Kai then gave into Kyungsoo's wishes and got the nursery ready. He doesn't remember promising that he would get it ready within a week. But he do remember that he promised to get it ready before Kyungsoo is due. The first day when he bought the paint, Kyungsoo threw a tantrum because he bought it in baby blue instead of cream. Kai reasoned that they are having a son and it is more appropriate to get baby blue. But Kyungsoo had other ideas in mind. He claimed that their son was unique and he would not like it if its baby blue and prefers it to be in cream. How does Kyungsoo knows? He would reasoned it as a mother's instinct. Kai took a deep breath and reminded himself that he still has a little over one month before he sees his son.

 

On the second day when the cot came, Kyungsoo got angry because the cot was in white instead of dark brown like how he wanted it to be. The reason why the cot was in white was mainly because Kyungsoo specifically requested it to be white. Kai had to apologise to the workers who looked personally offended by Kyungsoo's rude behaviour. Kyungsoo chased them out of their apartment and forced them to get the cot ready before 5 that day. Kai told the workers that he is willing to pay double the price if they were to get it ready within the time. Once they left, Kai explained to his older fiancé why it was in white instead of dark brown but Kyungsoo would not buy any of his excuses. Jongin hyung how do you even do this?

 

On the third day, Kyungsoo got angry once again when he realises that the furniture were not placed the way he and their son wanted it to be. He pulled Kai's ears as he dragged the other into the nursery forcing Kai to rearrange it. They got into arguments a few times that day because Kai thought that Kyungsoo was being ridiculously unreasonable with the arrangement. But it always ended with Kai giving in with the pregnant male's request because he started sobbing about how Kai doesn't love him or the baby any more. Just one more month and these tantrums will end.

 

Kai heaved a sigh of relief when he was finally done with the nursery room. It was up to Kyungsoo's taste. Kai, however, would not be surprised if two or three days before due, Kyungsoo would be yelling at him to rearrange the nursery. When he got to the kitchen with his hungry stomach, he realises that Kyungsoo did not prepare any lunch for him.

 

“Kyungsoo, where's my lunch?” Kai asked Kyungsoo who was watching reruns of Pororo yet again.

 

“Oh. I did not make it for you because I thought that you would be long doing the nursery,” Kyungsoo simply replied, eyes still glued to the television.

 

Kai was at his limit. Kyungsoo have gotten very lazy since the time he reached his eighth month mark. Kai would understand if Kyungsoo does not want to have because his stomach was in the way. But he has even resorted to not doing most of his share of the household duties and dumping it to Kai. Now, he even went as far as not preparing his lunch or dinner.

 

“Damnnit, Kyungsoo!” Kai cursed as he took the remote and turned it off.

 

“Hey! I was watching that!' Kyungsoo groaned as he got up from the couch to get the remote.

 

“I can see that. But can't you see that I am hungry and I need food in my stomach?” Kai raised his voice a little.

 

“Then prepare it yourself. I am tired and I can't afford to be doing that when I am this huge,” Kyungsoo replied pointing to his bulge.

 

“TIRED?! IS THAT ALL YOU HAVE TO TELL ME?! You have been saying that for the past week. The moment you reached your eighth month mark, you didn't even do your share of the household chores and all you do right now is ordering me around!” Kai finally said.

 

“WHO DO YOU THINK AM I?! AM I A MAID IN THIS HOUSE?! I AM YOUR FIANCE AND YOU DON'T JUST TELL ME TO DO WHATEVER YOU WANT ME TO JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE HUGE AND SWELLING!” Kai screamed before storming off to their room to get his car keys.

 

Kyungsoo was left standing in the living room looking down on his feet as tears rolled down his cheeks. It was then hit him that he have been nothing but mean and demanding to his fiancé. The guilt was eating him up alive and he really did not know what to do to make up for his mistakes. Kyungsoo heard the sound of the keys and Kai stomping out of their room.

“Wh-where are you going?” Kyungsoo managed to ask with teary eyes.

 

“Out. To get myself lunch because a certain someone does not want to do it,” Kai said before walking out of the apartment.

 

-

 

Kai felt like the worst ever. He never meant to scream at Kyungsoo. He did not know what got over him but he just snapped at his fiancé. Kai have been facing Kyungsoo's mood swings for almost nine months now. He had enough of Kyungsoo being very demanding. He was exhausted from all the demands. Sometimes it was adorable but other times, it got so unreasonable. Like how Kyungsoo have been acting for the whole of previous week. Kai gripped the steering wheel tighter as he tried to calm himself down and not let the tears flow. He was guilty. Very guilty. Kai knew that asking Chanyeol was one of the last things he wants to to right now. But he knew just the right person who is willing to listen to his rants even though he is not physically here.

 

Kai got out of his car and got the bouquet of white roses and baby breaths in his hands. He took a deep breath and walked up the path that he has grown accustomed to. He cleared the dried leaves that covered the tombstone. He smiled inwardly at the name that was ingrained on it, Kim Jongin. Kai was nervous as hell because this is his first time visiting Jongin hyung without Kyungsoo with him. He carefully placed the bouquet of flowers and stood there.

 

“Hi, Jongin hyung,” Kai started out awkwardly because he has never done this without Kyungsoo. “I know you kind of don't expect my presence here because I always asked for your guidance at home. But today I just had the urge to. I think I did the biggest mistake of my life. Most probably since the time me and Kyungsoo started living together. I know I promised that I would make Kyungsoo happy but I don't think I did just that. I shouted at him today. I shouted because I was at my limit. His demands was getting on my nerves and some of them were ridiculous. He looked like he was going to break apart after what I said before I left the apartment. I came here today because you're the only one who would not scream or shout or hit me on my head. I think you would be thinking that I should be where Kyungsoo is and apologise. I think I should too. Jongin hyung, I am sorry that I didn't keep my promise. I am going to redeem my mistake now. Please wish me luck that Kyungsoo forgives me,” Kai said.

 

“Thank you, Jongin hyung,” Kai finished off and bowed to no one in particular.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo walked into the café with red and swollen eyes. Baekhyun was fast in attending to his best friend as he handed his kids in Youngjae's care. Sehun ran to Luhan hyung the moment he sees the older boy with a Rubik’s cube in his hands exclaiming how he managed to solve one side of the cube. Baekhyun held Kyungsoo's hands as he led the other to one of the tables. Joonmyeon was fast enough to prepare hot chocolate for the pregnant male. Once Kyungsoo calmed down, he told them about what he and Kai had been going through for the past months and how the younger finally snapped at his selfishness.

 

“You know its not your fault, Soo. Not like you can actually control your mood swings. I didn't know how it felt like because when I was pregnant with Yixing, I wasn't moody.” Baekhyun explained.

 

“I haven't had my mood swings yet,” Joonmyeon piped up as he placed his hand over his four months bump.

 

“But I shouldn't have been selfish,” Kyungsoo before he broke out in another sob.

 

“Its okay. I think Kai would come around soon because he loves you so much. Do you remember all your fights with him during your pregnancy? He came back apologising to you within hours,” Baekhyun continued.

 

“But this is the worst,” Kyungsoo wailed.

 

The other two friends did not know what to do as they continued rubbing Kyungsoo's back. They told him that everything would be fine and Kai would be walking through the door. Kyungsoo, however, did not buy any those of the things that his friends have been trying to say to him. But he finally did when Baekhyun gasped as the bell to the café door chimed. He looked up and sees Kai standing there with a 15 stalks of roses. Kyungsoo wanted to run away because Kai is the last person he wants to see right now. But the baby in his belly is not listening to him as he keeps on kicking him. Maybe because he knows that his daddy is standing there.

 

“Kyungsoo,” Kai called out softly. “I am sorry for being the most horrible lover and father for our baby. Kyungsoo, I didn't mean to snap at you. But I just. I am just stressed from work. I am anxious and scared too for the arrival of our son. I am sorry for snapping at you just now. You were asking for a lot from me and I just couldn't multi-task.” Kai said as he walked up to Kyungsoo and handed the roses.

 

“Do you know what does red roses mean? It means that I love you. I love you so much, Kyungsoo. And do you know why do I choose 15 stalks? It means I am sorry. I am sorry for being an . But I really love you. Will you forgive me?” Kai asked genuinely.

 

Kyungsoo looked up to Kai with eyes filled with tears,”Its okay, Kai-ah. I forgave you. Sorry for being so demanding. I love you too,” Kyungsoo said as he wrapped his arms around Kai's waist.

 

 

 

A/N: i just had to put a little Kai and Jongin hyung moment. it was a request actually and i took  a  long time for me to even put it up. hehe.

 

ps: i am not so sure if they one Kai is hugging is Kyungsoo but if it is, it would be the nicest Kaisoo moment ever.

hope you guys like it!

ps: i decided to change the pic to avoid misunderstanding. :/

xoxo