Chapter 32

Can I Be The Replacement?

On the morning of Valentine's, Kai finds himself waking up earlier than Kyungsoo as this is the first for him. He stretched in bed as he watches his pregnant sleeping right next to him, using his hand as a pillow. Kyungsoo looks the most peaceful in his sleep. As much as Kai wants to stay in bed with Kyungsoo, he can't do that because he has already promised himself to prepare breakfast for the three of them. Kai knows well that he is not good at preparing breakfast but he had enough practice when he was living alone.

 

Kai carefully placed Kyungsoo's head on his pillow as he removed his arm. Kyungsoo groaned in his sleep when his only source of warmth left him. He snuggled closer into the pillow while smiling in his sleep. Kai giggled at the sight of Kyungsoo in his sleep as he has his hand protectively covering his four months old belly.

 

Kai walked into Sehun's room and realised that the boy is wide awake, gazing outside the window. Kai slowly crept into the room and smiled when he notices Sehun looking up at him with sleepy eyes,”Morning, Sehun!” Kali greeted keeping his voice as low as possible.

 

“Morning, Kai appa,” Sehun greeted back as he rubbed his eyes with balled fists.

 

“Come on. Hurry up. We have a surprise to prepare for umma today,” Kai said as he carried Sehun to the kitchen.

 

Kai placed the young boy on the counter top while he took out the ingredients for pancakes. He opted for pancakes because those are the only decent food that he is able to prepare other than cup ramen. Kai double-checked with Sehun to ensure that his umma is still asleep and whether he gets the ingredients for the pancakes right. After mixing the batter, Kai heated the pan up and placed batter in. He hoped and prayed that he would get the flipping right because that would definitely destroy his pancakes. He was lucky though that the heavens answered his prayers because his pancakes did turn out well and it did not taste as horrible as he expected it to be.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo groaned into the pillow when he realises that the sun is shining brightly through the blinds on his bedroom window. It was a cold Valentine's morning and all he wants to do right now is to just snuggle up to Kai's warmth and never wake up. Maybe they could just watch some re-runs of their favourite programmes reading out the lines together with their favourite actors. Kyungsoo stretched out his hands looking for his favourite source of warmth.

 

Kyungsoo sat up in bed and ruffled his hair in annoyance. He understands it really well that Kai never celebrates Valentine's before but the least the younger could do for him was to stay in bed with him. “Stupid kai and his stupid no celebrating valentine's day thing. Stupid kai and his stupid dance lessons,” Kyungsoo murmured as he made his way to the connected bathroom.

 

Once he got out of the bathroom, he found rose petals decorating the carpeted floor of their shared bedroom. A piece of paper with a messily written hangul – which he recognises as Kai's because Sehun hasn't learn how to write, yet – stating that he should head to the kitchen because there is a surprise awaiting for him. Kyungsoo picked up the rose petals because he hates seeing things scattered around his house.

 

Upon reaching the kitchen, he sees a pile of pancakes waiting for him to be eaten. A smile decorated his facial features when he sees kai standing there grinning sheepishly with a bouquet of roses. “Happy Valentine's Day, baby,” Kai greeted as he handed the roses to him.

 

Kyungsoo took the roses from Kai and sat down on the chair,”Nice roses, Kai-ah. And what's with the celebration today?” Kyungsoo asked because he never expected any of these to happen.

 

“Well, I just thought that we should celebrate Valentine's since you and Jongin used to do it a lot. Even though this is my first time doing it,” Kai said as his voice got softer towards the end.

 

“It was thoughtful of you to do that. Happy Valentine's Day, Kai,” Kyungsoo wished his boyfriend as he pecked the other's lips.

 

“And don't worry because this is not the last surprise for today. I have more planned for you,” Kai replied.

 

“What about Sehun?” Kyungsoo asked.

 

“I already asked both Chanyeol and Baekhyun hyung to babysit him while we are out,” Kai said as he held Kyungsoo's hands.

 

-

 

After leaving Sehun at Chanyeol and Baekhyun's, they set off for their date. It was difficult for Kyungsoo to leave his baby with the Parks but Chanyeol assured him that everything will be fine. Kyungsoo felt guilt eating him up alive because Baekhyun just had his baby and here they are leaving their son together with the couple. Kai reassured him that it was okay and Sehun would definitely behave himself and not cause trouble for the couple. The ride to their destination was quite with Kai's constant glances at Kyungsoo who seemed to be so lost in the view outside the window.

 

Kyungsoo's hands were on his mouth to cover how surprised he was to see the place where he used to go on a date with Jongin. He looked at his boyfriend in utter shock because how could the younger know of this place because this his and Jongin's secret hideout. Kai could only smile as he looked at his boyfriend in pure adoration. He knew of this place because he knows very well how Kyungsoo loved it whenever Joonmyeon talked about it.

 

The couple got out of the car and walked through the park. The weather is not ideal for a walk in the park but Kai wants to do it because it is one of his ways in hoping that Kyungsoo would forget about Jongin. Not completely but he wants to at least go back to parts of Kyungsoo's memories and remake them together with Kai and not Jongin. They shared their thoughts about how their life has been over the year. Kyungsoo would insert here and there about how and what both him and Jongin used to do at the park together. Kai's heart clenched when he heard that familiar name but who he was to stop Kyungsoo from loving someone so dearly.

 

Kai looked at his wristwatch and noticed that the small hand is pointing on the number 2. 'This is it,' kai mumbled to himself as he slowly got on one knee in front of a clueless Kyungsoo.

 

“Wh-what are you doing?” Kyungsoo stuttered as the memories of Jongin proposing to him flashed through his mind.

 

“Kyungsoo-ah,” Kai said as he held the older's hand. “I have been wishing for this day to come to finally get down on one knee in front of the person I love with all my heart. Since the time I laid my eyes on you, I knew that you're the one I want to do this to. I was glad that you accepted me after what we went through. Now that we are expecting our first child together, I thought that it is more appropriate for us to be properly married. I know I have chosen a weird time of the day to propose to you because like who in the right mind would propose at 2 in the afternoon. You may never noticed it but this time was the same time when I fell in love with you at first sight.” kai said as he dug through his pocket for the velvet box.

 

“Kyungsoo, I know I may not be the best replacement for Jongin hyung but I have asked you this before if I could be Jongin hyung's replacement and you gladly accepted me. I think that Jongin hyung have already given me his blessings to actually ask your hand in marriage.” Kai said as he laughed at his own non-existing humour.

 

“Kyungsoo, will you marry me?” Kai said as he opened the box revealing a wedding ring with a diamond in the middle.

 

“I do!” Kyungsoo said loud enough for Kai to break out into a huge smile.

 

Kai slipped their engagement ring into Kyungsoo's finger and kissed the older man tenderly.

 

Jongin hyung, I can't promise to be the best and I will try to give Kyungsoo all the happiness that he needs.

 

Jongin-ah. I accepted kai's proposal and we are getting married after I pop. Please bless us and continued watching over us. I love you now and forever, Jongin.

 

 

A/N: i know that you guys have a lot of hope that this would be one of the best Valentines' Date. i swear i actually had alot in mind but when i my laptop and poof i lose the inspiration. :( but i hope this was good enough? the proposal was nice right? right? right? aww man. i really feel guilty for letting you guys down. hope you like it though!

 

xoxo.