Chapter 1

Can I Be The Replacement?

High school sweethearts building a family together is something that everyone dreams of. It would be every boy or girl's dream come true to marry his or her first love. That was what happened to Kyungsoo. Marrying his classmate, his seat partner and also his long-time crush was one of the best choices in his life. But fate has always been too cruel to a certain group of people. Some deemed it as God's test but others see it as their retribution. But for Kyungsoo, he sees it as God's test. Kyungsoo lost his first love forever.

 

March 2007:

 

Kyungsoo tugged the jacket that was hanging around his body tighter. It was the beginning of March and winter should be coming to an end. But Kyungsoo was glad that it wasn't as cold as he had expected it to be. Spring had always been his favourite season of the year. He always believed his mother when she told him that love blossoms during Spring time. Kyungsoo was never the cheesy kind of person but he likes watching the flowers blossoming in the local parks. He always hoped that the man of his dreams would walk past him during Spring. They would go on dates, walking through National Parks, admiring mother nature's most wonderful gift of the year. Kyungsoo chuckled at the thought because hey, who would want to date someone who has unusually huge eyes? And he knows very well that no guy would fall in love with him.

 

Kyungsoo was so deep in thought that he didn't notice the tanned guy walking towards his direction. He hit the guy head first as he fell on his . The said guy held out his hand as a gesture to help him up. “Sorry. I wasn't looking,” Kyungsoo said over and over again.

 

The guy just chuckled, ”Nah. It's okay. I wasn't looking either. See you around.” the guy ruffled his hair and jogged to wherever he was heading to.

 

Kyungsoo had never believed in love at first sight. But today, he decided that he should try believing in it. Because in the whole of his 16 years of existence, he had never met someone this good looking. Maybe, Spring would be better with this guy around.

 

May 2007:

 

Spring was coming to an end and Kyungsoo still didn't have the guts to approach the tanned guy who's name, he had found out, was Kim Jongin. Kyungsoo had always been a coward. But this time, he was determined not to let this chance slip away from his fingertips. Kyungsoo's aim was to get Jongin to be his friend (which was the least he could do) and maybe they should start spending their summer break together. All of Kyungsoo's life, he had been spending his summer break with his childhood friend, Joonmyeon and maybe now, he will be spending his summer break with one of his new friends, Baekhyun. And maybe, just maybe he could ask Jongin to spend his summer break with him.

 

Kyungsoo made his way to Joonmyeon's apartment which was just next door to his (which explains why they are extremely close) and knocked on it. Joonmyeon opened the door and let his friend in. Kyungsoo made himself comfortable on the latter's bed.

 

So, what's up Soo?” Joonmyeon asked as he continued writing in his book.

Well, I think I need your help, hyung,” Kyungsoo said.

 

Oh sure. What do you need help with?” Joonmyeon asked as he put his pen down and gave Kyungsoo his full attention.

 

I'm in love with this guy from class. It was love at first sight. And I kind of want to ask him to spend his summer break with me,” Kyungsoo said, just as a blush painted his cheeks.

 

So, you're like telling me that you're gay, right?” Joonmyeon asked tentatively.

 

Mmhmm. Are you freaked out, hyung?” Kyungsoo asked as he walked up to the door in case Joonmyeon decided to chase him out of the room.

 

Not really... So, tell me more about this guy that you're maybe in love with,” Joonmyeon continued asking.

 

Kyungsoo eyes shone in delight when he realised that his best friend wasn't disgusted with him. He told Joonmyeon everything about Jongin and the elder told Kyungsoo when and how he should approach this Jongin guy.

 

July 2007:

 

With summer break being about a week from now, Kyungsoo gathered all his courage to ask Jongin to spend his summer break with him. Kyungsoo took his time packing his school bag that day after school because Jongin was always the last to leave class. Seeing that all the tanned boy's friends already left, Kyungsoo approached the other.

 

Kyungsoo cleared his throat in an attempt to get the other's attention. Jongin looked up with a beautiful smile gracing his lips,”Oh hi. You're Kyungsoo, right?” Jongin asked.

 

Ye-yeah.” Kyungsoo stuttered. He mentally scolded himself for stuttering because rule number one in approaching your crush; never stutter.

 

How may I help you?” Jongin asked as he got up from his seat keeping the last of his belongings.

 

I was thinking if we could work on the project together during the summer break,” Kyungsoo blurted out. How can you be so dumb Do Kyungsoo?! You're supposed to ask him to spend the summer break together not to ask to do the project together.

 

You mean this upcoming Biology project right?” Jongin questioned.

 

Ye-yeah. Baekhyun is doing with someone else and I don't have anyone to do it with. If you don't mind,” Kyungsoo said softly.

 

Oh yeah sure! My friends are already paired up together. So I'm the odd-one-out.” Jongin said.

 

From that day, Kyungsoo thought that love really did blossom during Spring.

 

August to November 2007:

 

If it wasn't for the project that Kyungsoo proposed he and Jongin do together, they wouldn't be spending their summer together. Kyungsoo never thought that spending his summer break with someone other than Joonmyeon would be this exciting. In fact, it was more exciting than hanging out with Joonmyeon. Kyungsoo would always have Jongin to go over his apartment where at times they would be doing their project together and the other times, they would be playing video games that Jongin brought with him.

 

However, sometimes, Kyungsoo realised that he actually missed his best friend Joonmyeon. When they were done with the project, Kyungsoo told Jongin that he won't be able to spend some time with his new found friend because he will be traveling to Busan. It was a lie on his part because he really wanted to see Joonmyeon. Jongin wasn't really affected by it so he just took Kyungsoo's word for it.

 

It was then that Jongin realised that the feelings he bore for his new found friend was not something that should be shared between friends, but something that should be shared between lovers.

 

-

 

When Kyungsoo met Joonmyeon that week, he couldn't stop himself from talking about anything but Jongin. Joonmyeon had to admit that he was genuinely happy for his best friend. Kyungsoo has always been scared to open up to strangers because he was always bullied for his unusually huge eyes. This Jongin boy that he fell in love with will most probably be one of the few people that accepted Kyungsoo for who he is. That was the first time when he noticed how Kyungsoo eyes shone when he talked about Jongin and that made him wonder 'does Kyungsoo ever look that way whenever he talks about me?'

 

After spending the week with Kyungsoo, Joonmyeon realised that he could never be the number one person in Kyungsoo's heart; after his parents of course. Joonmyeon felt replaced. It was then he questioned whether if what he was feeling for Kyungsoo was love.

 

The same night, Joonmyeon came to a conclusion that he is indeed in love with his best friend. But he never foresaw himself being in love with Kyungsoo. Ever.

 

December 2007:

 

Seeing that this is the first time Kyungsoo is spending Christmas with someone other than his neighbours, parents, friends and of course Joonmyeon, Kyungsoo decides that the best idea is to spend Christmas eve outside of the comforts of his home. It surprises him as well that Jongin had the same idea. But Jongin said that he has something important to tell him and had asked Kyungsoo to dress warmly since they'll be spending their Christmas somewhere no one ever been before.

 

Kyungsoo walked out of his apartment at 9 pm with a lunch box in hand and also having ensured that he was wearing enough scarves and also coat to keep himself warm. He skipped his way to the park that was at the mid-way point between both his and Jongin's apartment. Kyungsoo smiled that same heart-shaped grin when he noticed Jongin drawing something using a stick in the snow. Kyungsoo approached the younger slowly and tapped his shoulder.

 

Hey, what are you doing?” Kyungsoo asked as Jongin jumped.

 

Nothing,” Jongin replied simply.

 

I bet that's not nothing. You're hiding something,” Kyungsoo pouted.

 

Jongin moved aside and revealed what he was doing. Well, it was nothing much. It was just two stickman standing side by side with their hands intertwined. One was shorter than the other and he has huge eyes while the other was taller with less features. Underneath he had written 'Jongin and Kyungsoo together forever' and topped it off with a huge heart shape. The drawing was nothing extravagant but it was enough to make Kyungsoo's heart flutter.

 

The duo sat on the bench as they talked about anything that came to mind. Kyungsoo mentioned over and over again how he thought it was funny that they were friends just because of a stupid project. When the time reached just before midnight, Jongin suddenly stopped talking and grabbed Kyungsoo's frozen hands. Kyungsoo looked at their intertwined fingers, letting himself enjoy the warmth that was emitting from Jongin's hands.

 

The move was sudden and unexpected, but Jongin leaned in closer to Kyungsoo and placed his lips over Kyungsoo's. Kyungsoo didn't do anything as he simply enjoyed the moment. The soft and thick lips that were moving on his own over his mouth. Kyungsoo knows well that he has to close his eyes to fully enjoy the moment.

 

When Jongin finally pulled back, he preseed their foreheads together gently and whispered,”Merry Christmas. I love you, Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo was shocked by the confession but all he could do was to whisper ”I love you too,” which was just loud enough for Jongin to hear.

 

And since then, Kyungsoo decided that having Jongin's body warmth against his skin would be one of the best feelings in the world.

 

 

A/N: this is the longest chapter i have ever written. i will start the story by showing how both Jongin and Kyungsoo met. this mini introduction will be about four chapter or so. 

anyway, i am really not sure if i have the ability to write three couples in one fic. but I'll try, no promises though. enjoy! xoxo 

ps. the gif looks like they are a couple exchanging gifts. ooohhhh. the kaisoo feels.