Chapter 5

Attention

Chapter 5

With her hands in her pockets, she walked down the road with Joon by her side. They were both walking with a cup of coffee in their hands, which only made them feel warmer than they should. The sun had been shining the last couple of days and made everything absolutely perfect.

The spring was about to be replaced with the summer. Rain was turned into days with only the sun shining down on them, and the streets would soon be filled with people wearing short and skirts, dresses etc.

It was now a week since Hyuna had spoken to Jang Hyunseung. She kept remembering his name even though, she knew that she never was going to meet him again. Even Gina had not called or texted her, she had started to get a bit worried about her older friend.

“So Hyuna,” Joon suddenly said as they walked down the street with millions of people around them. “What are you up to this weekend?”

Hyuna thought about his question for a while. To be honest, she did not have any plans, but at the same time, she did not really want to spend time with him, since she knew that they probably would end up spending their time together in front of the TV or playing some old cardboard game.

“Some things,” she just said and looked up at him and smiled.

After what had happened the last weekend, she had felt like she needed to try something new again. She had spent hours of wondering about how it felt like to live on the edge, and she was almost desperate to try it again.

There was probably something wrong with her, since she wanted to go back to a place like that, but she just needed the excitement. The feeling of being herself without people criticizing her. 

“Some things?” Joon asked and looked down at her with a smile, which she could not help but return. 

“Yeah,” she said and slightly pushed his arm. “Things like…. Dramas and make-up maybe”.

Hyuna could not help but smile, as Joon laughed. His laughter was so soft, that she could not help but relax under it. He was not laughing at her, but with her, and that made her comfortable. 

“Seriously?” He laughed and placed an arm around her as he pulled her into an awkward hug. “Dramas and make-up, huh?”

“Yeah, I’m serious!”

“Sure you are”

He only shook his head as they continued to walk down the street. They had decided, that they wanted to spend this Friday together, since they hadn’t been able to see each other since a week ago. Joon had asked questions about her weekend, but like always, she had ignored the many questions. He would only start yelling at her and tell her how Gina was bad influence, if he knew the truth.

“We should go to the library,” Hyuna said as she spotted the huge building by the end of the street. The library was an old building, which reminded of those museums you always saw in movies and read about in books. “I need a book about the human body for my assignment”.

Joon only nodded as they automatically started to walk towards the huge building.  

The library was, like usually, empty from people. Among the rows of tall bookshelves, you could hear the faint mumbling from people discussing different things, and a copy machine printing in the other end of the room. Dust laid on the many shelves and books, as well as the green lamps, which lit up the room.

They walked towards the stairs, which led up to the second floor, and found a place where they could sit peacefully. Normally when they sat downstairs, other peoples laugh and loud noises would always disturb them, but up here, they were always by themselves.

“Do you need any help?” Joon asked as they sat in front of each other by the table. Hyuna had the book opened in front of her, as she let her eyes wander over the many words.

“No, I’m fine,” she said and looked up at him with a smile. Suddenly Joon’s smile faded as he slowly reached other the table to push a strand of hair away, which hung in front of her eyes.

“Thanks” Hyuna said a bit awkward and looked down, as her cheeks began to heat up. Why was she blushing so much these days?! It was embarrassing!

Silence interrupted their conversation, as they sat there with books in front of them, reading in silence. Only the sound of doors being opened and closed could be heard, every time a person decided to leave the old-fashioned library.

Suddenly a growling could be heard, which made both Hyuna and Joon look up.

“What was that?” Joon whispered and looked directly into Hyuna’s eyes.

She was silent for a short while, until a smile spread across her lips: “My stomach… Sorry”.

Laughter escaped Joon’s lips as he leaned back against the chair and almost fell of off it. His hands clutched his stomach as he finally began to control himself again.

“It’s alright,” he said and let his hand slide over his eyes to remove the tears that had gathered itself there. “I’ll buy us some food, any special wishes?”

“No, just buy something,” Hyuna said and took a last sip from the coffee beside her.

Joon quickly nodded before he almost ran down the stairs and exited the library, leaving Hyuna alone.

She drummed her fingers against the wood table, as she leaned back on the chair, looking around. A few old pictures hung on the wall, they were all starring down at her with empty and lifeless eyes. It almost scared her, the way the eyes kept looking at her, until she finally looked away.

She let a sigh escape her lips, and pushed the chair back to stand up. Swinging her arms from side to side, she walked over to the banisters and looked down at the lower floor of the library. She felt like a giant, looking down at the people walking around with either books or paper in their arms.

She was about to walk back to the chair, when she suddenly noticed a person beside her. Slowly she let her eyes wander from the people beneath her, to the man who had placed himself beside her.

Brown eyes, tall, pale skin and silver-ish hair.

“Jang Hyunseung,” she said a bit surprised by the sudden appearance beside her.

“Kim Hyuna,” the deep voice replied, and looked down at her. “I’m not surprised to see you here”.

He was standing with his arms crossed, back straight, dressed in a pair of worn jeans, a black leather jacket with a white t-shirt underneath. His silver-ish hair almost looked white in the light from the lamp above them, he looked pale and almost ill.

“But I’m surprised to see you here,” Hyuna said and straightened up.

It felt weird to stand beside him, she hadn’t really imagined that she would meet him again. She was pretty sure, that he just had seen her as a burden, but then again… He had made sure she got home safely.

 “Sometimes the silence is comfortable,” he said and leaned forward so he was resting against the banister. His arms were crossed across each other as his brown eyes glided over the many people and bookshelf beneath them.

 “It’s nothing special,” Hyuna said and pulled on her shoulders as she looked at the many people walking around. “It’s just… silence”.

Silence wasn’t something special, she had been used to it for so long no, that her ears almost hurt whenever Gina dragged her to a party. That was why she liked it, the loud music made her feel alive, while the silence only made her sad, it was like a constant reminder about, how alone she really was.

She had had enough of the constant silence.

“When you’re always surrounded by loud noises,” Hyunseung started and looked down for a second before his eyes once again went up. “Silence becomes your best friend”.

Hyuna went silent… She felt somewhat guilty for saying what she just had said, like she just had humiliated Hyunseung for his love for silence.

“How are doing?” He suddenly asked and pulled out a white pack of cigarettes from his inside pocket. The cigarette was easily placed on his lips as a lighter was placed in front of it. A few minutes passed by before a cloud of smoke escaped his lips and disappeared into the air around them.

“I’m fine,” Hyuna said as her eyes were focused on the cigarette between his lips. “How about you?”

“Great,” Hyunseung answered and removed the cigarette once again.

A sigh suddenly escaped his lips as he gave her once last glance, before he smiled.

“Your friend is coming back,” he said and nodded down towards Joon, who was walking towards the stair with food and coffee in his hands. “I’ll see you later, Kim Hyuna”.

Hyuna didn’t even get a chance to say anything, before Hyunseung began to walk away from her. She saw his back and silver-ish hair, as he disappeared in between the bookshelves. She was about to push herself away from the banister and walk after him, when she heard Joon coming up behind her.

“The food is here~!” he sang and showed her the bag of food, like it was some kind of medal he just won. “I’m starving!”

He quickly placed the food on the table before he began to take his jacket off, when he suddenly stopped.

“Why does it smell like something is on fire?” he asked and looked around to find the source of the smell. “Did you burn something?”

He had a smile on his lips, but for some kind of reason all of his questions made her uncomfortable. She knew he would freak out if she told him about Hyunseung, he would probably forbid her from seeing him if he knew.

“No, it’s probably just the food,” she said and sat down. Her hands immediately clutched around the bag of food as she pulled it towards herself to examine the food.

Joon just pulled his shoulders and ignored the smell, before he sat down and began to eat.

They ate their food in silence, before something caught Hyuna’s eyes. She slowly looked to her left side, only to see Hyunseung wave at her, before he disappeared down the stairs and left the library. 

------------O--------------O------------------O----------------------O-----------------O---------------------O----------------------O---------------------O------------------O------------------

Author's Note:

I've tried my best to make a chapter as fast as possible, and here it is! 
And Hyunseung returned! ;)

Please, tell me what you think about the story so far ^^ 
I'm afraid that it might be boring or something like that, so please tell me if it starts to get boring/annoying/ or whatever it can be ^^

~ Bye for now!