Chapter 27

Attention

Chapter 27

Hyuna angrily crossed her arms as a sigh escaped her lips. She had been sitting in the same dark room for hours now and the only thing that she had gotten out of it, was annoyance and some kind of man who tried to talk nicely to her.

Her parents had gone outside a long time ago, both of them tired. Her mother had almost started to hyperventilate when they had left the house; she had been crying and mumbling as she had tried to speak. Her cheeks had been red and her hair had been a mess. 

Hyuna felt another heavy sigh escape her lips as the door beside her went open and her father stepped inside. His black hair was a mess and he had bags underneath his eyes. He was frustrated. The way he ran his hand through his hair and the way he walked around, it was all too easy to notice.

“Dad…” Hyuna mumbled and reached out towards him, but he stepped back and looked down at her outstretched hand. She felt tears threatening to fall as she looked down at her thighs, her outstretched hand falling down. The police officers had told her parents about everything. They had told them about Hyunseung, who he was and what he was “known for”. They even told them about what had happened at the police station a couple of days ago.

Was it her turn to go to prison now? Would Hyunseung save her this time?

She wanted to run away… The door was right beside her and it was unlocked, she could escape if she wanted and she could find Hyunseung, but she couldn’t forget his expression the other day. He had avoided her. He didn’t want to have anything to do with her anymore.

“Why did all of this happen?” She heard her father cry as he walked around. He had his palms held up in front of his face, sobs coming from him now and then. His ears were red, as well as the bit of his cheeks that she could see.

I don’t know, because I’m a spoiled child, who just wanted a bit of freedom, attention maybe?

Hyuna wanted to say it out loud, but decided to keep it to herself. She had already predicted the outcome if she said those words out loud. Her father would stop his walking around, he would look at her, then yell and scream at her before he would slap her across the cheek.

She was stupid…. She had acted carelessly and now she had to pay the price.

“I just want to go home,” she said, the words being familiar in . She almost felt guilty for saying those words. Her heart was screaming for Hyunseung to come and pick her up, while her mind screamed for her to return home with her parents.

“Home…” Her father whispered and stood still. He stood like this for a while, arms down and face empty, before he turned around and left her alone once again.

She looked after him, before she herself stood up and walked towards the door.

The doorknob was cold in her warms hands, bus she slowly turned it around and stepped into the long, greenish hallway. Plants and benches was standing down the hallway, a few officers walking around with papers in their hands.

She turned her heard to the left and saw her father sitting on a bench. His body was bent forward as his elbows rested against his knees.

As silent as possible, she walked towards him and sat down.

“Dad,” she tried once again and this time, grabbed his hand. “I want to go home… please take me home”.

He shook his head.

“You are clearly independent enough to do that by yourself…” he said without looking at her. “You can go home yourself… You have proved that you can do whatever you want by yourself… leave if you want to”.

She gulped and looked down, slowly removing her hand from his. To her own surprise, she didn’t get hurt, nor did she start crying, no, she felt anger.

“Fine,” she mumbled and stood up so fast that she finally got his attention as he looked up at her. “I’ll do that then”.

She saw him open his mouth to say something, but decided to ignore it as she turned around and walked down the hallway. As she rounded the corner, she could still feel his eyes on her back. She was angry, furious! How could he treat her like that?!

She tightened her fist and pushed the front door open, leaving the police station. Oh, how she wished that she hadn’t left Hyunseung and the others. Even though he wanted her gone, she could always stick with the others guys.

With fast steps she walked down the streets. Only a few turned their heads to look after her, other walked in a large circle around her, but it didn’t bother her at all. Right now she just wanted to be on her own.

With her hands in her pockets, she walked down the many roads of Seoul, until she reached a familiar, large building. A smile formed on her lips as she walked – almost ran – towards it. For a few seconds she actually felt bothered by the stares she felt on her, she pushed the door open with all of her power and stumbled inside.

She tried her best to ignore the stares she received from the people around her and kept walking towards the stairs. If she could get to the stairs, she could hide in between the tall bookshelves! The library had always been a good place to go if you wanted peace.

She sighed in content when she noticed that no one had taken her spot in between the bookshelves. She let herself fall down on the nearest chair and placed her forehead against her hands. Once again, she had no idea about what to do with herself. She was a lost case.

For a few seconds she felt tired. She could feel how her entire body slowly started to relax, her shoulders lowering themselves, her arms falling down onto the table and her legs slowly sliding across the floor. Her back was leaning against the chair and her head was now facing the ceiling.

She was so tired.

She closed her eyes and started to drift away, until she heard the chairs around her being pulled out. Hyuna opened her eyes and looked forward, only to see her old friends sitting before her. Joon was siting on the chair right beside her, a pair of crutches by his side. Gayoon and the others were sitting before her and the other side.

“I’m sorry,” she sighed and let her head fall to the side.

Joon smiled and reached out towards her hand, but she quickly pulled it away, hiding it behind her back like a child who had stolen something.

“You are back,” Joon said, not being affected by her withdrawing. “That’s what’s important”.

Hyuna smiled. “Don’t let it get to your head,” she said and leaned forward to hit his head.

“Are you gonna come back to the school?” Jiyoon asked a bit carefully. She didn’t even look at Hyuna as she asked the question, she only looked down at her hands that were folded on her lap. Hyuna was the only one who was looking.

“Probably not,” Hyuna said and finally looking away, almost feeling disappointment when she spotted the girl relaxing now that her glare was gone. “The police wants to know where Hyunseung is and what he did… and I’m probably going to jail… I don’t know yet, it depends on my parents”.

Joon looked at her with a sad glint in his eyes as he swallowed.

“You can’t go to jail!” Gayoon said a bit hysteric as she slammed her fist into the table. “I mean… you’ve done a lot of lately, but seriously”.

Hyuna couldn’t but laugh at the statement. She had done a lot of , yes, but deep down, she knew that she deserved it. She quickly became serious.

“I shot after a person,” Hyuna said and leaned forward on the chair, so she was staring directly at Gayoon. “I’ve threatened a police officer and I have fled with Hyunseung and his little gang… Don’t you think I deserve it, just a bit?”

Gayoon went silent, as well as the others around the table. They knew it, they just didn’t want to say it out loud. They had always been loyal to her, she realized, even when she yelled at them to leave her alone and threatened them they stayed.

“I’m sorry,” Hyuna said once again and pushed the chair back to stand. “I think that our ways should separate here”.

She gave them one last smile before she – with folded hands – left them behind. She could feel them look after her as she left, happy that they didn’t followed her. For a second, she could feel tears press on, but she tilted her head back to keep them from running down her cheeks.

“I’m sorry,” she sobbed and quickly dried the tears away as she walked down the stairs.

Hyuna took one last glance up at them. They were standing by the banisters, looking down at her as she left the library.

She pushed the door open and showed her hands into her pockets. The sun hung high on the skies, blinding her with its sharp light. The day was almost too peaceful and beautiful for her mood, but as she looked up, she could not help but smile.

Her thoughts wandered towards Hyunseung. 

------------O--------------O------------------O----------------------O-----------------O---------------------O----------------------O---------------------O------------------O------------------