Chapter 15

Attention

Chapter 15

“Where are we going?” Hyuna asked with a trembling voice as she looked out of the window. She didn’t recognize anything familiar at all.

After Hyunseung had started the car, they had left Seoul and was now moving away from it. When she looked in the back mirror, she could still see the tall buildings from her home. It made her scared, she had no idea about where they were heading towards to… What if they didn’t return back?

“Hyunseung,” she pleaded and looked at him.

His eyes were fixed on the road as he drove, his grip around the steering wheel was tight, so tight that his knuckles had turned white. He hadn’t said a word to her, he hadn’t even explained her anything, he had just grabbed her arm and pulled her towards the car, that was it.

She had tears in her eyes as he didn’t answer her. Why was it so hard for him to answer her? She just wanted to know where they were going! She needed to know what she had to prepare!

“Hyunseung,” she tried once again, but like the last time she didn’t get any answers. “Fine”.

She crossed her arms and looked away from him outside the window. The skies had started to turn grey, almost black as they drove. Thunder could be heard somewhere in the distance before small drops of rain started to fall.

The drove for hours. Sometimes they would reach a small city other times they drove through another big city which always reminded her about Seoul with its tall buildings and tons of people.

They didn’t speak to each other, the only sound there could be heard was from the car and the cars around them. If the drove through a club or a restaurant they would hear the music playing or the people talking.

From time to time she looked at her phone. No one had called nor texted her, not even Joon. She actually missed him, she missed all of his calls and his voice. She missed when he told her to stay away from Hyunseung and when he hugged her or picked her up from the library.

Before she knew of it, they entered another city. This city, or town, was smaller then any of the other towns they had visited. It seemed messier. Even though it had a few tall buildings, the other houses seemed almost empty and wonky.

They left the place where there were most buildings as Hyunseung drove down a slanting and bumpy road which lead to three small decrepit houses.

He parked the car behind a small red house and got out. With a bit hesitation, Hyuna followed him and took a long around the area. There weren’t much, only the three small houses, some small hills of stones and sand here and there and then a lot of threes in the background.

“Come on,” Hyunseung said and got Hyuna’s attention. The girl nodded once before she followed him towards the house.

He found the key in his pocket before he locked the door open and pushed it open. There weren’t much in the house, only a small kitchen, a round table with two chairs and a small couch which was placed in front of a fireplace. A few shelves hung on the walls, with some books and a few dead plants. A door was placed on their left, which probably lead to the bathroom.

A few drops started to fall, which got them running inside before they got completely drenched from the rain.

The first thing Hyunseung did was to walk towards the fireplace, where he slowly started to place some wood which should keep them warm. Automatically, Hyuna started to look after a box of matches, which she found in the kitchen.

With small steps she walked towards Hyunseung and reached the box towards him.

“Thanks,” he mumbled and threw a match into the wood. A few minutes later sparks and smoke started to rise from the fireplace.

Once again everything fell into silence between them. They just sat there in front of the fireplace, looking at the fire, which slowly started to grab its hold on the woods as the warmth reach their faces.

“Are you going to tell me about what happened?” Hyuna carefully asked and looked at Hyunseung, who’s eyes were staring into the fire.

“Are you going to tell me why you ran away?” Hyunseung asked and finally looked at her with a raised brow.

She felt her cheeks heat up as she looked away. She grabbed her knees and pulled them up towards her chest before she placed her head on it.

“If you tell me what happened, then yes… I guess,” she said and glanced towards him. He didn’t smile, he only looked at her as if she just had been the one to attack him. He kept looking at her for a while, before he finally opened his mouth to speak.

“His name is Yang Yoseob,” he started and looked away from her once again. “He used to be one of my friends before things started to get complicated… I don’t know, what he was doing at your house, but I know that he wanted to do something bad. We used to be in the group, gang, call it whatever you want. We were a ground of six, we were best friends and thought of ourselves as a big family which always supported each other no matter what. That was, of course, until this man suddenly showed up.

I can’t forget him no matter how much I try, but every time I think back, it’s always his face I see”.

Hyuna had remained silent the entire time. She knew when she shouldn’t speak. Hyunseung looked deadly serious as he looked into the fire, never once did he move his eyes or face to look away from the heat. But there was one thing, which Hyuna wondered about…

“Who was he?” She blurted out.

“I didn’t know his name, he never told us,” he said and finally looked at her. “He told us that he had been watching us for years and that he needed our help. From his looks, he didn’t look like a guy who would live in a neighborhood such as ours. He was dressed in a black suit and of course a pair of sunglasses so we couldn’t see his face.

He told us, that he would give us anything, if just we did a few things in return. That wasn’t an offer we could say no to. We had nothing at that time, we lived far away from Seoul in a small house where there just was enough space for us six.

We accepted his offer, and then he told us what to do. No one of us hesitated, when he told us that he had a competitor he needed to get rid of.  A first we just thought that we had to scare him a bit so he would forget about his business and stuff, but it wasn’t so simple”.

Hyuna gulped before she looked away from Hyunseung.

“You killed him,” she said and let go of her knees. Her legs had stated to fall asleep because she had been sitting in same position the entire time.

“Correct. We got so much in return, we got the money we needed,” suddenly he started to smile. “I remember that, the first thing Yoseob wanted to buy was a new jacket because his old one was in a pretty bad condition.

We were all happy, finally we had a place where we could be together without having to worry about each others health or something live that. It wasn’t until it became more serious, we had to hunt down a lot of people suddenly, and before we knew of it, we were too far into it to stop.

After one of my friends outside our little group got hurt, I wanted to stop. I didn’t want to be a part of it any longer. We couldn’t go on the streets without the fear of being attacked by the police or some people who knew the people we had to get rid of.

Doojoon, our “leader”, wanted me to stay, but I couldn’t. I left them without telling them anything… It wasn’t until a couple of weeks ago, that I saw them all together”.

Once again, it became silent between them. They just sat there staring into nothing, waiting for some kind of reaction, but nothing happened.

“Sometimes I mi-“

She didn’t know why she suddenly did it, but it felt right. Her arms flung themselves around Hyunseung as she hugged him. His shoulders were tense under her arms as she tried to pull him as close as possible towards herself.

His hands slowly grabbed her waist as he pulled her closer so she almost were sitting on his lap.

“It’s okay,” she whispered as tears started to run down her cheeks. “It’s okay”.

He didn’t know what to say to her, he only buried his face into his shoulder as he held her. Her small figure felt almost perfect in his arms as he tightened his grip around her. He would never let go of her again, not even when they slept. He needed her, he needed her to be by his side.

“Never leave me again,” he said as he closed his eyes and rested his cheek against her warm shoulder. “Promise me that… No matter what happens, never leave me”.

She held him together, she held him sane, he couldn’t deny that.

“I’ll stay,” she said and gave him a big hug before she leaned back so she could look at him. His silver-ish hair hung in front of his eyes and his cheeks were slightly red as he looked at her.  “Just don’t ever do such things again”.

Her hand caressed his cheeks as a smile slowly formed on her lips as he nodded. She felt herself being pulled into another hug as they sat there in front of the fire.

“Just stay”. 

------------O--------------O------------------O----------------------O-----------------O---------------------O----------------------O---------------------O------------------O------------------

Author's Note:

Finally, a bit of Hyunseungs past! 

I don't know if this chapter was bad or anything, but I seriously loved to write it. Probably because I was listening to Love, Love, Love from To The Beautiful You, it made it a bit more dramatic ^^ 

Like always, I hope that you guys likes it! 

~ Bye, for now!