Nine

What Lurks

“I'm a werewolf,” Kyungsoo repeats, still unwilling to open his eyes,

“Care to elaborate?” Jongin says, with a tinge of sarcasm colouring his tone. Is this a joke? This has to be a joke.

“Um. Ok: before I actually spoke to you, my wolf decided to imprint on you,” his eyebrows twitch when he says the word 'wolf', “at the time I thought you were a complete prick, and that's why I was so angry when I finally confronted you. Saying-When I said my parents wanted me to go out with you, I really meant my wolf. But they wanted me to too,”

Jongin nods slowly as he's recounting all this, as if he understands, but really this is all just confusing him even more.

“Also, lately there's been, um,” he glances shyly at Jongin to check he's not flipping out, “territorial disputes. Um. And since I'm the beta I need to take a. Uh. Mate so I can get stronger, so I can help fight the other packs off.”

Jongin doesn't say anything. He's not sure he can. What do you say to that? Because it’s obvious Kyungsoo isn't lying; he at least thinks he's telling the truth. Should he be angry? If so why?

This is too much. Isn't it?

Kyungsoo seems to understand this, and bites his lip,

“I guess. I'll see you Monday, then, ok?” he says, looking uncharacteristically sombre. He reaches out to pat his shoulder, and seems satisfied somehow when Jongin doesn't flinch.

“Wait,” Jongin stops him, snatching his wrist and making him jerk backwards a little, “wait.”

Kyungsoo's eyes dart between him and the door, and eventually he settles reluctantly on staying. He doesn't say anything though, just waits for Jongin's reaction. He looks very uncomfortable, and Jongin realises he probably expects for him to have a sudden realisation and kick him out.

He's not going to do that, he doesn't think.

He just doesn't get it, still: how can he be a werewolf? Werewolves don't exist. Does he mean, like, a metaphorical werewolf? What the hell is a metaphorical werewolf? And why isn’t he scared?

“How-? How?” Jongin shakes his head helplessly. He doesn't know why he's so calm, judging by Kyungsoo's reactions he should be having some kind of mental breakdown or outburst, but it's like it hasn't sunk in yet. He still doesn't know for sure that Kyungsoo's not just insane, but he's willing to go along with this.

“How what?” Kyungsoo frowns,

“I mean, how can you be a werewolf?” Jongin raises his hands and lets them flop uselessly onto his lap. He's not sure he believes him yet, but he doesn't...not believe him.

“It's genetic,” Kyungsoo mumbles, still stiff and probably expecting Jongin to kick him out. He glancing at Jongin's hopeful face, he sighs and continues, “my dad's a werewolf too. He's the alpha of our pack, which makes me the next in command.” he shrugs, “lately one of the outlying packs has been trying to fight their way into the city, and my dad's making everyone who's of age try harder to find their mate.”

Jongin pauses and then points between the two of them. This is good, right? It means he’s still interested in him. Now he just needs to figure out how to tell Kyungsoo he sort of reciprocates now,

“Uh, yeah. But you're not gay, so I think my wolf made a mista-well yes, you clearly ing did!” Jongin blanches, this is going to be difficult to rectify,  but luckily it feels like he's no longer addressing him, as Kyungsoo's rages seems internally directed, is he talking to his canine counterpart? He doesn’t know how this works. Does he transform with the full moon?

“Would I- could I meet your wolf?” Jongin's question makes Kyungsoo his head quickly enough that if Jongin had done it, it would've hurt,

“Um. Theoretically: yes. But no,” the last two words are stern. That's a little disappointing, for some reason.

“Why not?” Kyungsoo grimaces, and then -because Jongin's looking for it- Jongin notices the inner conversation. Then Kyungsoo does something wholly unexpected; he blushes and rolls his eyes. Jongin repeats his question,

“Um,” he hesitates, blushing more but frowning at the same time. Jongin wonders what it could be that's getting so riled up. It's a side to him that he's never seen before, and it's nice. Sweet even,

“Because Blaidd has no ing self-control,”  he mumbles, “Shut up! This is all your fault anyway, you stupid animal!” Jongin flinches a little at his outburst.  He's not so sweet anymore.

“Blaidd..?” it sounds like 'blythe'

“Blaidd is my wolf. When we -Shut. Up.- when I transform he sort of takes my place in this world slash dimension. It's hard to explain. We switch places in a way, but we also, sort of...don't. Physically, we do, but our minds are...never mind I'm just messing this up now.”

Jongin watches Kyungsoo in interest. He has so many more questions to ask, like 'what do you mean other world?', 'can Blaidd see everything you can?', 'do you share each other’s’ thoughts, or do you literally have to talk out loud to him?'

Kyungsoo's jaw drops, and he glances at Jongin, seemingly appalled, “Blaidd is also a completely moron!” he begins hitting himself again, “Shut up! Shut up!” Jongin has to stop him, and he has to stand up to do so.

Kyungsoo's struggling is powerful, and this brings to light another question: is the strength part of the werewolf thing?

Somehow Jongin ends up on top of Kyungsoo, Jongin pinning his wrists down either side of his head. Kyungsoo smells nice, this close, even if he is making a rather strange face,

“I don't think Blaidd made a mistake,” he says simply, surprising himself with his suaveness.

Kyungsoo's eyes pop out comically, then Jongin lets go of him and goes back to the Xbox leaving Kyungsoo spluttering in his wake,

“Come one, you're not going to beat me again,” he wagers, “actually, if I beat you, you have to show me Blaidd,”

“Nope,” Kyungsoo shakes his head firmly,

“Please?” he begs, pouting a little bit. He feels like such a child right now,

“Definitely no,”

“Awww,” he makes every effort to sound as despondent as possible,

“Still no-hm” he closes his eyes and breathes deeply, grip tightening on the controller,

“What's he saying to you, anyway?”

“I. Um. I don't really wanna tell you,” he doesn't look away from the screen, where he's already in the lead, which makes Jongin suspicious,

“Why? Is he being really rude, or something?”

“You could say that,” he answers irritatingly ambiguously. Jongin rolls his eyes,

Would you say that?” he asks, and Kyungsoo smirks.

“Yes. Or, well, inappropriate at least.”

“Oh, right,” Jongin wonders what the hell that's supposed to mean,

Kyungsoo kills him again, and he swears. He laughs and then frowns in quick succession, and Jongin doesn't miss him digging his nails into his leg,

“Why do you keep hurting yourself?” he doesn't like when he starts hitting himself, it’s scary and worrying.

“Oh, uh. Because Blaidd can feel it too,” Kyungsoo shrugs, and makes a sarcastic face, probably in response to something Blaidd's done. That makes sense, he supposes, but he still doesn't like it. He thinks back to the past few weeks; maybe he's usually more subtle about it.

This time Jongin manages to shoot Kyungsoo, making him two deaths away from being level,

“I still want to meet Blaidd, by the way,” Jongin says, making Kyungsoo flinch then flop his head to the side,

“God. You both would get along so well, you’re both really obnoxious. And could you stop saying that please,” he says, upper lip curling in irritation. Jongin snorts,

“Why, does he want to meet me too?” he says dryly, andKyungsoo doesn't reply, instead just working harder on the game. The topic of Blaidd and Kyungsoo's family life is temporarily forgotten as they get more into playing, and eventually Kyungsoo wins. Again. But it was very close this time, Jongin will totally win next time, he’s got a gameplan.

They relax afterwards- Jongin actually worked up a sweat playing that, it had been very loud and competitive.

With Kyungsoo lying inert, his legs splayed over his own, more questions spring up in his mind like daisies,

“What did you mean by mating?” he feels Kyungsoo's leg muscle clench, and he bites his lip. Maybe that question was over the line. There's a long pause, in which Jongin is figuratively sweating and regretting having opened his mouth,

“It's like marriage but different?” Kyungsoo says in the end.

“Oh,” he says, possessing all the eloquence of a stick. Marriage. It sounds very…permanent.

“Y'know how, like, there's that 'wolves mate for life' thing? It's that.” he sighs, “if I were to mate with someone I'd have to bite them. It’s complicated,”

The image of Kyungsoo crouching over him, with his mouth poised over his neck seeps into his vision. He gnaws his tongue, and his heart beat accelerates a little. He shouldn’t be thinking this, he really shouldn’t be imagining himself as the person Kyungsoo’s biting, and now he’s imagining what it would be like to kiss him, he’s so close-

“Jongin? You ok?” Kyungsoo sits up, lifting his legs at the same time to make it easier, “I can hear your heart, I'm not gonna bite you, you don't have to be scared of any-oh,” Kyungsoo sniffs delicately.

.

In retrospect this probably should've been obvious, one of the first things he thought of, what with wolves famously having better hearing, eyesight and a sense of smell than humans.

This means that Kyungsoo could always hear his heartbeat, and smell what he's thinking or whatever. Thinking? Holy ! His eyes widen and meet with Kyungsoo who stares incredulously at him. He opens his mouth to explain himself but nothing comes out.

Kyungsoo reaches out to touch his arm-ever so lightly, and his hands are cold-sending his heart into panicked palpitations. .

“Jongin..?” Kyungsoo has this heart-wrenching expression of confusion tinged with hope, and it makes Jongin both want to reach for him, and hide from him at the same time, “Blaidd didn't make a mistake,” he whispers so quietly Jongin has to lip read it. He shakes his head minutely.

He holds onto Jongin's forearm properly, wrapping his fingers-shorter than his own, he notes- around him. He looks at where they're joined like he can't believe it.

For some reason Jongin doesn't feel surprised. He feels almost...justified. Like something just clicked into place. It's the same sort of feeling he got when Kyungsoo told him he was a werewolf, but more obvious, more tangible.

It's only really been a few hours, and even though he still hasn't met Blaidd (technically) he still feels like he's never not known him.

“Maybe we should just try dating first?” Kyungsoo breathes. Jongin in his bottom lip to stop him from smiling too much, and nods, “this can be our first date,” he jokes.

“Ok, don't tell my mum though,” Kyungsoo takes his hand away, and he mourns the sensation.

“Why not?” Kyungsoo wrinkles his nose,

“'Cause she'll just make fun of me,” Jongin explains, shrugging.

“Ah, right,” Kyungsoo grins, “so it'd be a bad idea to do this while were eating dinner?” he rests his hand on his thigh. Jongin steadies himself, don’t think too much,

“Yeah, very bad,” he lays his hand over the top of Kyungsoo's, pushing it away from treacherous territory.

-

lol sorry wifey this is probably so weird for u (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤

alright sort of progress? 

comment pleeeaaase u__u its good to talk to you guys, i know it's said a lot by people but u literally make my day

(。・//ε//・。)