Twenty One

What Lurks

Jongin sits patiently on the couch in Kyungsoo's living room while Kyungsoo flits around him, getting things, and carrying stuff around. He doesn't even know what he's doing really. He doubts Kyungsoo even knows. He's probably just doing it to...do something.

Occasionally he reaches out and tries to hold his hand, but Kyungsoo always pulls away. It's starting to get annoying. He held his hand all the way here, but now he's acting like a blushing teenager. Which he most definitely is not. It can't be because his mum's in the room because usually he's perfectly happy to kiss him, if sweetly, in front of her.

His mother is sat on the opposite sofa, looking like she's been waiting for him with her hair done up and her make up still on, and Jongin realises that this is probably some kind of huge conspiratorial rescue plan. Jongin wonders where Kyungsoo's dad plays into this. Come to think of it he hasn't seen him around lately,

“Kyungsoo,” she says, tone brittle and severe. Kyungsoo freezes for a moment, but then continues moving random objects from point A to point B, “have you told him yet?”

“No,” he says, loud enough for Jongin to hear.

“Don't you think you should? Or are you waiting for me to say it?” Kyungsoo shrugs, looking extremely uncomfortable. What is he hiding from him?

This time when Kyungsoo walks past with an empty glass, Jongin grapples onto his wrist with his good hand and refuses to let go. Kyungsoo has plenty enough strength to yank his arm away from him, but he gives in and sits next to him when he sees Jongin's stern expression,

“What do you need to tell me?” Kyungsoo turns towards his mum and stares at her beseechingly,

“Can't I take him upstairs and do it?” he whines, reaching for Jongin's hand and beginning to entwine their fingers together-what little fingers he has left anyway. She makes a noise somewhere between a sigh and a scoff but concedes, waving her hand dismissively,

“Go on then,” she sighs. Some of the tension in Kyungsoo's shoulder melts off him, and he stands up and leads Jongin out and up the stairs, in the way he's done so many times before. He's a little out of breath by the time they reach the top floor, where Kyungsoo's room is located. Two weeks of not moving has sapped his stamina.

Even the slow, almost strolling pace they used to walk here made him a little breathless.

He collapses on Kyungsoo's bed, and curls up in the duvet, not caring awfully much if he's getting the bedding dirty or wet.

Kyungsoo doesn't curl up with him like he expected. Instead he sits where his pillow would normally be, cross-legged and holds the uprooted cushion to his chest.

“You know that wolf bit you?” Jongin gives him a very sarcastic look, like 'no, really?' and Kyungsoo kicks him, harder than he probably intended,

“Ow! You're supposed to be my boyfriend, why are you doing this to me? You're actually acting really weird today, what's wrong?” Kyungsoo flinches. Actually flinches. Twice. Blaidd probably has something to do with the second one, but Kyungsoo doesn't look angry, so it must be something serious.

“Come here, a bit closer,” Kyungsoo says, and with much effort ,Jongin wriggles closer so his head is on his lap, ensconced by his legs and Kyungsoo places a cool hand on his forehead, “Have you looked in the mirror lately?”

“Is this some sort of badly disguised insult?” Jongin asks, suspicious. Kyungsoo chuckles, shaking his head slightly,

“No, just. Have you?” Kyungsoo has started rhythmically twiling a part of his fringe. It feels a bit strange, but he's not going to say anything. He's not sure if Kyungsoo even knows he's doing it.

“Yeah. I look a bit tired, but that about it.” He doesn't mention that his ribs are little more visible now. He'll work on it.

“Did you look at your eyes?”

“Not...closely?” Jongin is becoming increasingly more confused, these questions are more like an interrogation than concern, and it feels like Kyungsoo is leading up to something; “Is there something wrong with my eyes?”

Kyungsoo doesn't say anything. Just looks at him. At his eyes. Jongin stares back. Kyungsoo's eyes are pretty attractive, when not charged with unadulterated rage. They are red-brown in the light and when he's annoyed with Blaidd, otherwise they're a delicious chocolate-y kind of colour. His pupils are sort of weirdly shaped, kind of elliptical but not obviously so. He only knows that because he's had the privilege of looking so closely.

“Is there something wrong with my eyes?” Jongin repeats urgently.

“Mm. Ok don't panic-”

“Too late!”

“Please. You know how in stories when a werewolf bites a human-”

“What the hell?!” Jongin scrambles upright, nearly throwing himself off the bed in the process, “I'm going to turn into a wolf?!” he's not sure how to feel about the idea. From what he's heard, if you aren't born as a wolf it's …difficult to adjust.

“No, no. Maybe.”

“Maybe?” Jongin stares at his hand. Might he really become a wolf? He's not sure he wants to.

“Jongin, it's very unlikely. Most people who are turned suffer. um. Far worse injuries that you. Like, they have their whole ing bodies torn apart, and they're barely even alive afterwards. No sane wolf would do that to anyone, they’d have to be rabid,”

Jongin feels himself relaxing a little bit, but just to make sure he gets up and looks in the mirror on Kyungsoo's desk. It's a small one, with one of those pull out things on the back to prop it up. He picks it up and holds his eyes wide open, inspecting for any irregularities. He can't find any at all, they look the same as they usually do.

“I'm pretty sure you're fine, but we're going to have to keep an eye on you for the next week or so, yeah?” Jongin nods, and suddenly his fatigue catches up on him and he feels like he's about to fall asleep standing up.

“Ok. Can we go to sleep now?” he asks with a yawn. Kyungsoo laughs at him, reaching over to push back his fringe,

“Yeah,”

He rubs his hand over his face and focuses on keeping his eyes open for as long as possible. He goes over to his bag, and curses at his pyjamas-why did he put them at the very bottom? He up-ends it, and watches everything tumble out in a daze.

Without a thought, he strips off completely, right in front of Kyungsoo, then tugs on his green and black tartan pjs. He misses Kyungsoo, who is significantly less tired than him, watching him unashamedly as he dresses himself. And he misses Blaidd making inappropriate remarks about Jongin’s gorgeous slim figure- he does virtually no exercise so he the only muscles he has are from laughing, but he still manages to look like some godly hands carved him from clay.

When he turns around again Kyungsoo is already dressed too, in clothes that are slightly too small for him, his wrists and ankles are visible.

After they brush their teeth- Jongin puts most of his weight on his boyfriend as he does so, smiling too wide and trying not to let the toothpaste run down his face-they curl up in Kyungsoo's bed together, and Jongin falls asleep almost instantly, his head resting on the pillow facing Kyungsoo, and their hands bound between them.

-

ooohhhh a shock then sorta fluff haha...ha...ha... *sleeps* this weather is ruining my life istg

please comment you guys are my bus entertainment system lmao (。・ω・。)ノ♡