Forty One [Epilogue]

What Lurks

[about a year later]

Jongin sits alone in the café, waiting for Kyungsoo and a few others to turn up. He checks the time on his phone, and feels himself getting a little excited when he sees that Kyungsoo should be here any minute now. He came here straight from his university class, where he studies law. He lives in a tiny room close to campus, and Kyungsoo lives nearby in an equally tiny and crumbling apartment.

It’s an impressive turnaround from how he used to be at the start of high school, when he did little to no work at all. Now look at him!  Admittedly, he only barely scraped the grades he needed to get into university, but the point is he did it.

Kyungsoo should have gotten off his shift about ten minutes ago, and it only takes a ten-fifteen minute walk to get here from where he works at a radio station. He’s not full time yet, as he’s still technically under training, but he says he love working there since he’s so close to the music. He’s learning a lot about the dials and programming and technology which fascinates him, so he tells Jongin all about it in the evenings.

Jongin rarely sees him so happy sounding, so even if he doesn’t understand exactly what he’s talking about, he watches Kyungsoo’s animated hands, demonstrating what to do with certain controls.

Kyungsoo can mostly walk fine, these days, but if he’s done a lot that day (and usually by then, Jongin is tired too) it bothers him. He’d had a walking stick for a while, and he’d hated it, constantly about how it made him look like an old man, and viciously glaring at anyone who made a comment on it.

He’s crowd watching, scanning the people walking by for Kyungsoo and he squints into the crowd. The weather is overcast, and almost raining, so it looks like Kyungsoo will be hard to spot, if he remembered to wear his coat. He’s a stubborn little thing, and hates bringing anything surplus with him, that he might have to carry-that includes coats, umbrellas, sunglasses, jackets on a hot day.

Kyungsoo is powerwalking as well as he can down the street with his shoulders hunched over and his hood up. He’s frowning at the pavement, but Jongin can’t tell if that’s just because of the weather or because he’s had a bad day.

Kyungsoo pushes the glass door open with an enraged flourish-definitely not had a good day- and marches right up to where Jongin is sat in his booth, without even looking for him. He throws himself down onto plush cushion seats, and buries his face into Jongin’s chest with a furious growl. Jongin reacts reflexively, resting his arm along the line of his back.

“wha’ss wrong?” Jongin asks quietly,

“Stupid tard of a radio guest started quizzing me on my personal life. My ing relationships! And then started taking the piss because I’m gay, but I couldn’t ing defend myself because he’s a famous prick and if I insulted him I’d be sued. I ing hate it there and I am not going back,” Kyungsoo grinds all of this into Jongin’s shirt, and grips fiercely onto his trousers.

Far from getting upset, Jongin knows he’s more annoyed that he couldn’t talk back. He’s probably in the mood for destroying things right now, but unfortunately that’s one of the drawback of living in a larger city: there aren’t many places you can spontaneously turn into a wolf and not be noticed. Every month they take a trip back home so Kyungsoo can run with his pack. He’s usually exhausted the day after, because of all the pent up energy he releases during the run.

“Ok, now I know that’s not true. You love it there. You aren’t really going to let some drive you away from your dream job, are you? That would be pretty pathetic.” Jongin doesn’t try very hard to comfort him, because Kyungsoo doesn’t like being pitied. He responds better to provocation in this way. If Jongin can get him riled up like this, Kyungsoo will go back to work the next day with fire in his eyes, and Blaidd snarling at his side.

And hopefully not murder everyone in the room.

“ this,” Kyungsoo grumbles, extricating himself from Jongin’s now damp embrace and reaching for the menu. It’s hardly a classy place, but neither of them have much money, and it tastes good, so it doesn’t matter to them.

Jongin goes up to the counter orders for both of them, because Kyungsoo is still too pissed off to do it without terrifying the staff. In the quiet that follows, Jongin can feel Kyungsoo is calming down a little bit. He’s no longer the raging spitting fire he was when he arrived, now he’s died down into sulking embers.

“Are Sehun and Jadzia coming today?” he asks, still glaring into the distance sourly, but with a considerably less hostile tone of voice.

“Yes, but I got a phone call earlier saying they’ll be about fifteen minutes late, but that I should order their usual,”

“Oh. Ok.” Kyungsoo replied blandly, thus ending any conversation. The sounds of the coffee machine gurgling are loud and annoying, but it’s to be expected when coming to

Jongin watches his face rapturously, and noticing that his eyebrows are slowly sinking further and further towards a frown, he leans closer and kisses his cheek.

 “Kyungsoo, stop it.  Stop thinking about that guy. He’s obviously a .” He pokes his eyebrow and is pleased when it twitches upwards into its normal position, “I mean, he doesn’t have to like you. You’ve got me,” he grins gleefully down at him.

“Shut up.” Kyungsoo turns away from him, but Jongin can see he’s biting his lips to hide the smile.

Kyungsoo turns his head just a moment before the door to the café opens, his superior hearing alerting him to Sehun and Jadzia’s presence before Jongin.

Since the incident, Jadzia has changed her hair colour to a dark shade of brown, and it makes her look mature and elegant. They look so good together, Jongin feels slightly jealous: you can see the love and affection between them, it’s almost tangible.

They’re holding hands, but they let go of each other for a few moments to greet them.

“Kyungsoo, how are you doing?” Sehun asks, his eyes crescent moons as they always are when he’s with Jadzia. In public, anyway, Jongin definitely does not want to know what he looks like when they’re alone.

“I’m ok,” Kyunsoo replies, waving his hand in a ‘so-so’ motion.

Jadzia’s hand is resting on the table, with Sehun’s neatly on top of it, her fingers gently with his own. He resists the urge to shudder at their sappiness. They’re cute but so gross.

“That’s good.” Sehun affirms. He glances at his girlfriend, so obviously in love Jongin rolls his eyes. They know he doesn’t really mean it.

“how about you guys?” Kyungsoo asks to be polite, knowing he’ll only get the usual stuff about their university courses: jadzia is doing archaeology, and Sehun chemical engineering.

“Actually we have some good news!” Jadzia says, clearly working hard to keep her smile under control.

“Well you’re not pregnant,” Kyungsoo muses, “so this can only mean-!” He slaps a hand on the table then reaches for Jadzia and Sehun’s interlocked ones. Prying them apart with boundless canine strength, he finds what he’s looking for,

“We’re getting married!” Sehun exclaims, throwing an arm around Jadzia’s shoulders and tugging her into his side. They kiss briefly, knowing full well that if they went any further than that Kyungsoo would not hesitate to smack them.

“You turd,” Jongin asserts, as Sehun hadn’t told him anything about this at all. Isn’t it a best friend’s duty to tell their best friend this sort of thing? He scowls at Sehun, who has the decency to look a little abashed,

“I’m sorry, it was a bit of a spur of the moment thing. I found the perfect ring only a few days ago, and then. I don’t know, I was too busy thinking about how to propose to contact you I guess.”

“That’s no excuse you turd, you could’ve asked me for help with ideas,” Jongin is sulking, feeling a little left out. Kyungsoo rests his hand on his thigh and squeezes, but even that doesn’t make the feeling dissipate.

“Sehun? Weren’t you going to ask Jongin something?” Jadzia interjects, smirking. He keeps forgetting she’s a werewolf, because she’s so fashionable, but she can probably smell him too. When you think werewolf, an image of a beautiful lady wearing expensive clothes is probably not what comes to mind.

“Yes, of course! Jongin, will you be my best man?” Sehun stares at him hopefully, the unspoken apology in his eyes.

“Turd,” he mumbles. But is pleased he’s the first choice. Not that Sehun has any friends other than him, but it’s still nice.

“That means yes,” Kyungsoo clarifies, patting Jongin on the arm.

-

They head back to Kyungsoo’s house, their usual destination after drinking with friends, with words like colour themes and flowers buzzing in their minds. Jongin clings onto Kyungsoo’s arm, because Kyungsoo handles alcohol better than him, and he may have lay go just a bit, it’s not like he doesn’t have an excuse though, hat with the engagement.

When they’re both in Kyungsoo’s bed, after washing up, Jongin is feeling a lot more sober.

“Kyungsoo?”  he murmurs into the darkness,

“Mm?” The duvet rustles as Kyungsoo rolls over and rests his hand over Jongin’s waist. He snuggles closer, infusing Jongin with his warmth, and he sighs.

“Would you like to get married one day?”

“Only if it’s to you,” he whispers, inclining his head up to kiss Jongin slowly and languidly, the mint of his toothpaste still strong in his mouth.

“Sehun could be my best man,” he flops back down after the kiss, and now his imagination is running wild. He’d invite his mum, of course, but not his dad. His dad had dropped by a few months after the last battle, but had only stayed a week because he couldn’t deal with both the fact that his son was gay and that he was in a relationship with a werewolf.

He didn’t make much of a fuss, because Jongin’s mother is terrifying when angry, but it had hurt to know that he wasn’t accepted, no matter how much he’d disliked him beforehand for leaving.

It wouldn’t be a big event, like Sehun and Jadzia who want to have a big white wedding with pink highlights and lots of flowers. It would just be a small celebration, just between close family, and maybe not in a church either.

Kyungsoo rubs circles on his stomach, and scoots his leg over his possessively,

“Go to sleep Jongin. We can talk about this properly in the morning,”

“Ok,” Jongin curls into Kyungsoo’s side, “love you,” he sighs into Kyungsoo’s hair.

“Love you too,” 

-------

ugh yes this is finally finished (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤

MY THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HAS READ/COMMENTED/SUBSCRIBED TO THIS FIC you've all made my day at some point 

theres still more to come!!! but im marking it as complete anyway lol

you can ask questions here or in the comments for requests for drabbles and whatnot

or you could just, you know, comment anyways (。・ω・。)