Forty

What Lurks

Jongin wakes up feeling groggy, his throat is sore and his eyes feel puffy. Ah yes, that’s right: he was crying because Kyungsoo broke his promise. He’d said he would be fine and that he wouldn’t get hurt, but now he’s in hospital.

He remembers last night, early in the morning he received a phone call from Kyungsoo’s number, so he’d answered it feeling relieved but it had been his dad on the other end. Of course that had set him worrying and almost crying since he didn’t know at that point how bad the damage was; only that he was hurt.

He’d started crying properly, the sobs wrenching silently and burning up his throat at the sight of Kyungsoo’s pale body on the bed. He’d pressed his hand to his forehead, and brushed his hair back and kissed his forehead, his nose, his eyelids, Jongin’s own vision blurry from as-of-yet unshed moisture.

Then he’d been told about Kyungsoo’s leg injury, and about how he might not be walking again for at least a long while, and then the waterworks had truly begun. He’d saturated the blanket in front of him, unsure why he was even crying this hard.

Kyungsoo was alive, right? He’s alive! He should be happy!

But for that night he was going to be sad. He’d wake up before Kyungsoo and clean himself up and then act like he was ok. He’s ok. They’ll make it through this, they made it through everything up till now, what’s one more bump in the road?

-

The smell of the hospital makes him uncomfortable; it’s a clean odour, too clean. He associates this smell with bad memories now, and whenever Kyungsoo’s mum cleans the kitchen or the bathroom with disinfectant he hates it.

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo is already awake? How long was he asleep for? That dashes his plans of being presentable for Kyungsoo to see when he woke up. He rubs his eyes blearily, trying to focus on his boyfriend’s face. When he can see properly, he smiles grimly at him, trying to convey both sympathy and encouragement. Kyungsoo opens his arms for a hug so Jongin stands up, muscles whining pitifully, and wraps his arms around his torso.

Kyungsoo buries his face in the space between his shoulder and neck; Jongin can feel him breathing in steadily-he’s smelling him. His arm squeeze tightly around him, yanking his drip a little, and perhaps Kyungsoo has forgotten just how strong he is again, but Jongin isn’t going to tell him to stop. No, he just hugs back as hard as he possibly can too.

“Kyungsoo?” Jongin mumbles, words garbled into his skin,

“Mm?”

“I love you,” his voice wobbles, but he’s too emotional to be embarrassed by it right now. There’s a lengthy pause until Kyungsoo says it in return, but Jongin was never worried. He can tell Kyungsoo is both riddled with painkillers and just generally exhausted.

“Can you get into bed with me?” Kyungsoo asks sleepily, loosening his arms and wriggling over towards the wall so Jongin can fit. Jongin nods, kissing Kyungsoo’s temple before taking off his shoes and slipping under the cotton bed sheet.

“I’m sorry.” Kyungsoo sounds contrite, and Jongin has only ever seen him this vulnerable once before; the time when he came to visit him after their few weeks separate, “I guess I’m not going to be much of a mate for a while, confined to a wheelchair and all,”

“You will always be a brilliant mate, Kyungsoo. Even if you suddenly turned into an octopus, I would still love you and think you were amazing,” he announces, startling a chortle out of him. “And surely, after last night, there won’t be as much around that I need to be protected from, right?”

“I guess.” Kyungsoo admits grudgingly, “but I don’t like it. I feel really inadequate, I’m just. I’m not good enough,”

“You’re plenty good enough, and I love you so much, understand? We’ll manage, ok?” he shakes his bad arm out of his sleeve and holds it out in front of his boyfriend, “I mean, look at this, we made it past this, didn’t we?” Kyungsoo takes hold of Jongin’s mess of a limb, and twines his fingers around what’s left of Jongin’s, them lovingly,

“Yeah, we did,”

“Exactly. This is the same premise, and it won’t be easy but we’ll get there.” Kyungsoo nods, looking up at Jongin, his eyes shining with gratitude. It makes Jongin’s heart swell, so he dips in to kiss him chastely on the mouth.

“Are you going to have a wheelchair?”

“Not yet, I can’t move until they’re sure it won’t rupture at the slightest thing.”

“Oh. Well when you do, I’m happy to wheel you around, that could be fun actually- we could invite Sehun and Jadzia and have, like, races in the hallways or something. Disturb all the other patients.” This statement is received with rolled eyes and exasperation.

Kyungsoo rests his head on Jongin’s shoulder, and Jongin rests his head on top of Kyungsoo’s, cheek pressed gently into Kyungsoo’s hair. The sounds of Kyungsoo’s heart-monitor and their low breathing permeate the air. It’s a good silence, Jongin thinks, not full of unanswered and anxiously awaited questions, but promise.

Promise of recovery.

Things will get better.

-

A few weeks later, true to his word, every day after school Jongin is wheeling Kyungsoo about everywhere the older boy wishes to go. But only in the hospital at the moment, as he hasn’t been fully discharged. But they have been zipping around- with Jongin perching on the back of the wheelchair- much to the amusement and irritation of other patients.

Sometimes Jongin will pick an empty corridor and push Kyungsoo up it at a run, then jump on the back and freewheel until they either stop or hit a wall. Jongin is surprised that they haven’t been reprimanded yet, or at least told to stay in Kyungsoo’s room.

It’s more fun outside, of course, and that’s where Kyungsoo does the work Jongin brings him each visit. Jongin diligently visits all of Kyungsoo’s teachers at the beginning of the school day, and asks them for the sheets the other students filled out in class, so Kyungsoo doesn’t fall behind too far with his work.

Jongin has a lot of fun taking care of Kyungsoo, even if he spits and lashes out at him for treating him like an invalid (which he sort of is, so he doesn’t really have the right to complain) and scowls if he even so much as suggests feeding him. It’s kinda cute, now that Jongin knows he can’t reach him. Kyungsoo makes a terrible patient.

The doctors say that Kyungsoo won’t make a full recovery, but he will regain enough movement to be able to live life normally. They don’t know that he’s a wolf though, so they can’t take into account that Kyungsoo isn’t exactly living his life with normal boundaries anyway.

Kyungsoo undergoes intensive therapy for his muscles, and though he can’t stand straight yet, and has to lean heavily on Jongin every time he tries standing up, he is slowly showing signs of improvement. He’ll probably always have a limp, and huge amounts of scarring but he survived, like Jongin did, and that’s all that matters.

When Jongin isn’t spending every waking moment possible at the hospital with Kyungsoo (he goes there straight from school, but because visiting hours finish at nine he is, sometimes forcibly, ejected from the premises) the pair of them are texting manically, and they call each other each night before they go to sleep.

Jongin’s mother, upon discovering they were no longer under threat, insisted that they move back into their own house, as she didn’t want to impose on them any longer. Jongin thought this was ridiculous since they pretty much ran like a hotel for wolves anyway, and had rooms to spare.

Well, maybe not at the moment, since a few of the wolves from the polish pack are staying there while they figure out what they’re going to do with their lives now. Jadzia is the only one left of her family with any rightful claim to the title of alpha, but fearing that the rest of the pack wouldn’t accept her as a leader, she suggested a merging of the packs instead.

With her brother, father, and mother out of the picture (turns out she, along with several others, fled after the alpha was killed) she’s left with nowhere to stay, so she is one of the people who is temporarily residing at the Do household.

She spends most of her days locked in her room, grieving, and not coming out even for food. She lets Sehun in most of the time he comes around to visit her, but sometimes not even her mate is adequate compensation for the loss of her entire family. He is a shoulder to cry for now, and Sehun is more than willing to wait until Jadzia recovers.

 -

“, Jongin can you please not be so patronising,” Kyungsoo glares at the spoon of hospital food coming his way, “I mean really, you could’ve at least brought me decent food instead of this ,” he grumbles, jerking his head away when Jongin pressed the spoon lightly against his mouth.

“Come on, one little mouthful,” Jongin teases, and Kyungsoo’s eyes flash,

“ off,” he bites, “both of you just off,” his snarling glare rivals easily those first memories of Kyungsoo when Jongin was scared of him. It seems like such a long time ago now, and they’ve been through so much together since. It’s definitely worth it, though, Jongin decides.

Jongin puts the spoon down and raises his hands in surrender, “wow, ok, what’s up with you today?” he asks, honestly concerned. Kyungsoo doesn’t answer, just glares harder at the blankets in front of him.

“Kyungsoo?” Jongin rests his hand on Kyungsoo’s shoulder, and watches his face, suddenly amused when he recognises what appears to be a grimace of embarrassment on his face, “Kyungsoo I can’t help if you don’t tell me what’s up.”

“Well, I don’t want nor need help, and I don’t want to tell you, so shut up,” he bunches the top of the blanket up in his hands, a nervous habit that is slowly (thankfully) replacing pulling his hair and tearing his skin to ribbons.

“Well, since you’re not willing to talk, I guess that means you don’t want any of…this,” he reaches into his schoolbag and seductively pulls out a huge bar of chocolate and Kyungsoo’s face drops a mile,

“Oh you, you ing planned this didn’t you? You little !” the profanities pour out of his mouth like water from a running tap and, wow, he’s such a pottymouth today. It’s kinda hot. Kyungsoo tries to get up a little and lunge for the huge slab of sweetness but inevitably fails, fingers just falling short. He swears again.

“Hm, I guess I could give it to you. But first you need to tell me why you’re in such a bad mood today,” Jongin presents his ultimatum, holding out both his hands- one with the chocolate in and the other empty. He holds up the chocolate, “Tell me?” then raises the empty one, “or don’t. Your choice,” he winks smugly, knowing that Kyungsoo is going to temporarily hate him but the curiosity is too strong.

“Kiss me,” Kyungsoo whisper-shouts, refusing to look at his boyfriend. Jongin is shocked but also not; they haven’t ‘done’ anything since the night before the final battle, so to speak.

Jongin grins, tossing the chocolate to the other side of the hospital bed, next to Kyungsoo’s feet, and kneeling on the edge by Kyungsoo. He slides the fingers of his good hand into the hair on the back of his mate’s head and brings him closer.

Kyungsoo is intense, , biting and probing with his tongue. Jongin moans weakly, moving to straddle Kyungsoo’s lap. Kyungsoo loops his arms around his waist and pulls him closer, so their bodies are flush against one another. Jongin’s neck hurts a little, craning downwards to eagerly meet Kyungsoo’s lips, but he does his best to push it to the back of his mind. Not that that’s hard.

Kyungsoo slides his hands up and down Jongin’s sides, then again but this time underneath his t-shirt. Jongin draws a shaking wobbly breath, and subtly rolls his hips down against Kyungsoo’s crotch, wanting to feel the same way he did that one time.
But Kyungsoo slows the kiss down, until their mouths are moving at a languid and –dare he say it- romantic, pace. He knows, he knows, that they can’t do anything like that here, it’s illegal for heaven’s sake, but he just. He wants to.

Kyungsoo pulls away finally, and looks up at Jongin smugly. He can smell how much that kiss affected him, Jongin is sure.

“Can I have that chocolate now?” he asks with an innocent smile.

-

 

 

this is the last chapter guys, the next one will be the epilogue ok....

.·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·.  

so saaad but worry not, for there will be other things after that too (=`ω´=)

ask.fm open as usual go go go <3 ask jongin/ kyungsoo/ sehun/ jadzia/ anyone a question !!

or you could just comment and talk to mee~