Thirteen

What Lurks

 

Apart from the days Kyungsoo is away- he told him to tell people he's ill- which were lonely, and he was the of many jokes, most of the days are spent with either Jongin sleeping on Kyungsoo, vice versa, or the pair of them either fighting or flirting insufferably. The best time was when Jongin bought a pot of noodles from the canteen and they shared a lady and the tramp moment.

It didn't really go as planned; both of them getting the sauce all down their shirts and faces. It didn't help that there had been a disgusted outcry from the surrounding people, who launched projectiles at them. Jongin was finding bits of paper in his hair and clothes for the rest of the day.

Another good thing about them both spending so much time together is that Blaidd is less annoying. According to Kyungsoo, his scent makes him either relaxed and sleepy, or it makes him want to do more than kissing. Which Jongin totally wouldn’t mind doing but Kyungsoo always stops them.

Blaidd still sometimes makes inappropriate comments that Jongin can't hear, but the frequency that Kyungsoo hurts himself to hurt his wolf rapidly declines. But Jongin notices as Kyungsoo increasingly becomes more worried by something. His face seems to stretch around his skull slightly, and he looks more and more tired as the weeks fly by. He looks wraithlike, skin pale and eyebags heavy, swaying where he stands.

Jongin tries to be comforting, and helpful at his own home, as they've stopped going to Kyungsoo's as much now. Jongin has his suspicions that he wants to keep him away from his parents. Maybe they're pressuring him about the mating thing again.

Then again, maybe he's ill, or maybe it's stress; every time he asks, he just gets an incredibly vague answer, and demeans his situation entirely;

“Don’t worry; I’m fine,”

“It’s just homework,”

“Parents are being…you know,”

Jongin lets it slide for ages, until one day; Kyungsoo comes into school with a badly concealed bruise discolouring his face. He must have borrowed his mother's make up. The moment he sees him, he takes hold of his wrist to pull him upright, then coaxes him out into the hallway where it's quieter, his fingers naturally interlocking with Kyungsoo's.

He leans against the wall not far from their first confrontation two months ago, and pulls his boyfriend against him, who sags into the warmth, but remains silent.

“You can't keep this up,” Jongin whispers, placing his chin on top of his head. Kyungsoo just sighs,

“I'm just tired,” Jongin rolls his eyes, a little exasperated, he leans back, and lift Kyungsoo's face up, then his thumb and wipes away some of the make up. Kyungsoo's mouth tightens in what Jongin can only assume is pain, so he kisses just beside his eye in apology,

“You don't get bruises from being tired, Kyungsoo,” Kyungsoo starts to back away, looking exhausted and angry, which is never a good combination.

“Just ing leave it alone, Jongin.” He spits, stalking off in the opposite direction before Jongin can grab him. He jogs to keep up with his pace, darting between people and getting further and further away from where he’s supposed to be, calling for Kyungsoo to stop, and apologising repeatedly.

He finally stops just outside the music tech suite, lined with computers adorned with expensive looking headphones, and turns on him. He’s looking significantly less upset now, but Jongin doesn’t want to risk offending him again, so he remains arms’-length away,

“I’m sorry, I’ll stop asking about it, I swear. I’m just worried about you; you look terrible,” he confesses, wanting nothing more than to hold him and let him sleep in his arms for a few hours. Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything for a while, but the door opens and closes and when Jongin looks up he’s not there anymore. His heart sinks; why are they even fighting? Jongin gets that Kyungoo is obviously tired, but he’s just trying to take care of him. he’s about to walk dejectedly to his own lesson-on the other side of the school unfortunately- when he hears the click of the door handle again.

Kyungsoo comes out of his classroom, and he can hear him promising that he won’t be long, he just needs to sort something out.

He shuts the door, Jongin watching him warily, worried that he’s going to start shouting at him again, and it’ll be his own fault for being pushy and not respecting his space. Then Kyungsoo takes a deliberate step forwards and embraces him. Jongin hugs back just as tightly, thanking whatever higher power there is that he didn’t ruin everything.

Kyungsoo melts into him, and Jongin thinks he's falling asleep upright, which is hardly healthy, when he speaks up. Well, into his chest,

“I’m sorry. You’re right. It’s not fair.” He sighs heavily, leaning his full weight on him, “and I get bruises from extra training, and trying to fight off other wolves,” he confesses.

“They've been coming onto our territory?” they've had a few conversations on the subject werewolf hierarchy, and Jongin still doesn't get most of it but he doesn't know that territory is one of the most important aspects of it. That and female wolves.

Taking territory without asking is a big social no-no but they all still do it anyway. The rival packs around here probably think that because this area is so small, that it will be easy to take it over. But there they'd be wrong, as the size of Kyungsoo’s pack greatly outweighs the space in which they live. Jongin was surprised at the numbers.

Kyungsoo nods despondently,

“Yeah, and since I'm one of the only people of age who hasn't mated yet, I have to do extra combat practice with the younger people. I messed up, so that's why I have this,” he means the bruise.

“This is probably pointless question, but: is there any way I can help?” Jongin is kind of but not really referring to the mating thing. It's been brought up a few times, but Kyungsoo doesn't want it to happen just because his dad is making him. Jongin thinks it might be a little early to be dedicating his entire life to someone, but otherwise doesn't object to the idea. He’d rather spend his entire life with Kyungsoo rather than anyone else, but then he’s only seventeen.

“No,” Kyungsoo mumbles, but his tone leaves no room for argument. Well, if that's how he wants to be there isn't much he can do about it.

“What if you went home from my house early so you could start training or whatever earlier? Then you'd get more sleep,” the bell for class rings halfway through his sentence, but they both ignore it, their lessons and the many people flooding the walkway, in favour of each other.

“Do you really want me gone early?” he doesn't, but even more he doesn't want Kyungsoo to be hurting. As much as they habitually insult each other, and sometimes act more like rivals than a couple they really do care for each other. They just happen to show it in a slightly unorthodox way.

“No. If I came to watch..?”

“You would probably get eaten,” he chuckles lightly, “nah, you'd just be as tired as me,”

“I want to come anyway,”

“Ugh. Even if I say no you're probably just going to follow me home anyway, aren't you?” Jongin had indeed planned to do that, but he wasn't going to tell him until they left, “I don't think you get it, to be honest. We aren't messing around, I mean look at my face. Its real training, we're not just playing,”

“Yeah, I know. Which is why I want to help you,”

“You can't really help, we think they're going to attack pretty soon and there's not enough time to get you to a decent enough level to-and they're wolves anyway so humans don't stands a chance, but I guess you could come and watch. One time. Just this once,”

“Alright,” Jongin agrees, mollified. Kyungsoo lets go of him, and rubs his eyes blearily and groans,

“I love music. But right now I hate it,” he complains. Jongin smiles at him sympathetically, and drags his fingers though Kyungsoo's fringe,

“I'll give you a reward if you don't fall asleep, ok?” Kyungsoo grins at him, “you better not lie to me, I'll know if you do. See you later,”

At lunch Jongin is made to feed Kyungsoo because apparently he's incapable. 'Too tired' is what he says, but Jongin thinks he just wants to be babied of something. He doesn't mind though, and he likes feeling like the one in charge for once as normally its Kyungsoo bossing him around.

After school they head to Jongin's house on the bus as usual, and play on his Xbox and talk as usual, kiss as usual, and eat dinner with Jongin's mum as usual. Now that they've been together long enough for her to be comfortable around Kyungsoo she has started teasing him as well as her own son, saying ridiculous things like 'when can I expect the first grandchild' which is obviously utterly hilarious for her. Why couldn’t he have a nice mum, like Kyungsoo?

During dinner Jongin asks if he can stay late at Kyungsoo's house. He fully expects all of the comments like ' as long as there's no ' that he receives- in front of Kyungsoo no less- but is glad when she finally relents and agrees, after needling for what was happening,

“Alright, but your curfew is midnight, understand? If it weren't Friday it'd be ten,”

Understandably, Jongin isn't pleased with this,

“Can I not just sleep over?”

“No. Midnight, and I mean home by midnight, not leave at midnight,” she doesn't sound like she's going to back down on this, so he scowls at her, and eats violently shoving the chips into his mouth messily. Kyungsoo slides a hand onto his thigh, to distract him. It works.

When they arrive at Kyungsoo's house it's just past 8 O'clock, and Kyungsoo's mum seems surprised to see him. Maybe he didn't tell her he was coming.

They walk in together, and Kyungsoo takes him to his bedroom, and changes right in front of him. Well more like strips off almost totally , leaving only his boxers, then puts on his dressing gown.

“Why...are you?” he gestures to Kyungsoo's gradually revealing skin,

“So I don't have to do it later, duh,”

Kyungsoo faces the other way while he does all this, obviously embarrassed. Jongin's a lot of this before anyway, but only briefly and not all at once. Then removes his underwear.

Jongin can't help but notice that Kyungsoo seems to have gained a bit more muscle since the last time he got him shirtless, but he keeps his hands to himself.

“Oh. Right,” it occurs to him that if he's than, “am I going to finally meet Blaidd?” Jongin is excited. After all this time he still hasn't become acquainted with the cause of their relationship.

Kyungsoo grimaces, “Yeah, unfortunately. Just. Don't be surprised if he starts, like, you or something. you.” he's talking to Blaidd at the end.

“What did he say?”

“...nothing,” Kyungsoo mumbles as he searches his bedding, presumably for his pyjamas.

“That bad huh,”

“Yeah. Screw. You. That's. No,” he shuts his eyes and starts rubbing his temples, but Blaidd doesn't shut up, and he digs his nails in, “why does everyone else get nice wolves, that behave, and I get you?” he complains in a whiny voice that doesn’t suit him at all.

He sighs a sigh that sounds like he's atlas, bearing the world on his shoulders. Having Blaidd in his head probably is just as bad burden, Jongin suspects.

“Let's go, I'm already late,” after tossing him a spare winter coat, Kyungsoo walks him down to the back door and into the garden.

-

enjoy (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤

alright now i have a french essay to write for tmrw wish me luck -_-

commentez s'il vous plait