Twenty Seven

What Lurks

//DOUBLE UPDATE if you havent already, go back read the last one kk//

----

Studying is hard. And boring. For the next week all he ever seems to do is pore over his law books, his science folder, and his maths work. Not without the support if his boyfriend of course, who sits on his bed and does his own work right next to him, only very occasionally distracting him. Not that Jongin minds that much, he likes the way Kyungsoo feels on top of him, and he definitely likes how he tastes. He’d definitely prefer it if they could shut the door though, and not worry about being walked in on.

For the most part, he and his mother get along like nothing ever happened in the first place. Jongin thinks she’s trying to pretend nothing did happen. He doesn’t blame her, it just gets frustrating every time she looks at Kyungsoo, then her eyes flick to his disfigured hand, and he can read her thoughts perfectly.

Whenever Kyungsoo isn’t with him-because he’s out running with his pack for the full moon- and he’s not doing work, he’s talking to Sehun. Be it online or during frees at college (those are rarer now, with all the extra work he’s having to do) he‘s back to being his best friend again.  He has stopped calling him mean names, and despite thinking he didn’t want sympathy or pity, being treated like this isn’t as bad as he’d thought originally. He finds himself being spoiled by Sehun and his boyfriend, being asked if they want them to carry his things for him, or fetch this and that.

It almost makes him forget why they’re doing it in the first place.

“See you tomorrow?” Kyungsoo promises putting his shoes on in the doorway, because it’s nearly ten o’clock and his mum’s going to start breathing down his neck soon if he doesn’t at least look like he’s about to leave.

“Yeah,” Jongin hovers above him, waiting for him to finish so he can corner him before he has to go. When his laces are tied in a floppy bow, Kyungsoo stands up with a smirk, knowing precisely why Jongin is lingering so closely. He peeks to the right to make sure that his mum isn’t around, or close enough that they would be able to salvage the situation should she come to check on them.

Ascertaining that she isn’t, Kyungsoo loops his hands around Jongin’s neck and, pulling him down, kisses him softly. He takes a step forward, pushing Jongin into the wall, and presses his whole body against him, making Jongin’s breath hitch at the blatant show of possession. He’s pretty sure this is what you’d call a turn-on. Jongin’s hands slip from their platonic position on his shoulders, to his lower back, and then he lets his good hand dip even further, his little finger touching the skin just before his waistband, delving even lower and squeezing, and Kyungsoo into his mouth in response, his breathing getting a little fast too.

They should’ve started this earlier, really, in Jongin’s room. They could kiss more without being interrupted in Kyungsoo’s house too, of course, but at the moment they’re playing host to some other pack members, and Jongin doesn’t know how he feels about some random wolves being able to hear everything they’re doing.

Kyungsoo hums contentedly, and Jongin reacts strongly to it, pushing his hips forward a bit until they collide with Kyungsoo’s and. They should really stop. Like, now, before anything weird happens that they can’t take care of, but Kyungsoo would know if his mother was coming, and Jongin doesn’t want to be the first to pull away,

“Mmm, all mine,” Kyungsoo pulls back for half a second to say, and Jongin’s gut flares from the use of the word alone, but then Kyungsoo is falling back flailing, and looking extremely embarrassed. He covers his mouth with his hand, and apologises at the speed of light, “I’m sorry that wasn’t me, Blaidd made me say that. I swear, it’s not, I’m not like that, really, I’m sorry,”

Jongin just stands- more like leans against the wall, unable to hold himself upright anymore-there, bemused.

“Why are you apologising ?” he his head, frowning.

“Because. I don’t know. I thought humans didn’t like the whole territorial thing. I’ve done my best to stop Blaidd from, like, metaphorically peeing on you, but sometimes it just. Slips out. Sorry,”

“You really don’t need to be sorry. Actually, I think I like it.”

“Really ?” Kyungsoo’s eyes widen to worrying levels, and Jongin’s heart clenches. Has he been worried about this the whole time?

“Yeah,” he can feel his cheeks heating up even more, is it possible that he’s even more flushed than he was twenty seconds ago. It’s a good thing the hallway light isnt on, because otherwise Kyungsoo’s be able to smell him-he probably stinks-as well as see his face.

Kyungsoo looks at the floor for a moment, seemingly deciding what to do. Then he looks back up at him, smiling,

“In that case. You’re mine, then. No one else is allowed to touch you, understand?” He declares, making Jongin’s stomach lurch once again, and kisses him, just once this time, curling his fingers in his hair delicately before pulling away, and opening the door. He leaves Jongin wanting more, so he goes to his room locks the door –which he’s allowed to do, now that Kyungsoo’s gone home- and deals.

-

“Hey, Kyungsoo,” Jongin calls out his boyfriend's name, who looks up from what he's reading on the bed receptively, but upon seeing the phone in Jongin's hands he frowns and looks the other way,

“Haha, too late,” Jongin crows, turning the camera around to show him a candid photo of him.

Jongin really likes it, and is about to save it as his background image when Kyungsoo butts in,

“Hey what..what was that for?” Kyungsoo complains, making an exaggerated face of displeasure.

“I just realised I didn't have any photos of you. I mean, we've been together ages and we don't have pictures of each other. I just thought it was strange. So I took one.” he shrugs, smiling to himself, and pleased that he remembered to actually do it this time.

It's one of those things you always remember to do when there no way you can go about doing it, like when you're about to go to sleep. It's been on Jongin's mind for a few days actually.

“Oh,” Kyungsoo replies,

“Yeah, do you want one of me?” Jongin laughs, posing ridiculously with his thumb and forefinger highlighting his jawline, “maybe I should take a selfie,” he says, reaching for Kyungsoo's phone. At first Kyungsoo tries to block him, but then surprisingly concedes. He doesn't normally let him go on his phone, and he figures out why he has this time a moment later,

“Can you unlock it, please?” he requests, but Kyungsoo just shakes his head and squirms so he's facing slightly away from him, looking even more intently on his book.

“C'mon, don't you want a photo of me?” Jongin tries to resist pouting, he really does, but Kyungsoo just snorted at him. How offensive is that?

He grumbles and turns back to the law work he was doing earlier, before he remembered, and glares at Kyungsoo sulkily.

A shutter sound followed by Kyungsoo whispering, “,” make him turn around, and to his surprise, Kyungsoo is redfaced, trying to shove his phone in his pocket. On instinct, Jongin dives for it reaching out for the offending object,

“Are you trying to take creepshots of me? You could have just taken a photo when I posed, not a minute ago,” he shouts laughingly, as he tickles him to make him let go, a desperate attempt really, as Kyungsoo isn't really that ticklish, but he's also so much stronger than him, it's his only hope.

“No,” Kyungsoo wails plaintively, as, by some miracle, the phone is prised out of his fingers and Jongin is opening all the folders he can find to delete the probably unflattering photo he took of him.

He doesn't expect to find, however, pages and pages of photos of him. All taken without his knowledge, and some of them with little hearts and kissy lips drawn on them. Some of these date to months ago, there's one of Jongin asleep on the desk before they were even officially friends. And another of him smiling in this very room,

“What the , Kyungsoo,” he deadpans, and Kyungsoo looks down in shame, hiding half of his face behind his book, mumbling into the spine,

“I know, I know, I'm sorry. I was going to tell you, I swear, but I just didn't know how, I'm sorry,”

“Not that, I don't mind the photos. Just. How could you be taking secret photos of me and still beat me on the Xbox. That's just taking the piss,” he pockets the phone, then thinking better of it -and not wanting it to lock itself again- he puts it on the desk and plays with the slider bar to keep it on.

“I need to re-evaluate my life,” he shakes his head, and Kyungsoo just laughs,

“You're just not as good as you think you are,” Jongin mimes being shot in the heart,

“Ok, thanks, kind and loving boyfriend,” and glares balefully at him. Kyungsoo snorts again, sounding like Blaidd does when he tries to laugh, then they both turn back to what they were doing ten minutes ago.

A little while later, Jongin tries to take a photo of himself -looking properly at the camera- without Kyungsoo knowing. It’s a little blurry, but he doesn't think Kyungsoo noticed. With whatever app it is that Kyungsoo uses, he writes 'I <3 u' in pink, then saves it, trying not to think too hard about what he just did.

-

The trees stand tall around him, any light that might have lit the way is obscured by the thick canopy above.

A twig snaps under his foot, and his breath rattles in his throat.

It’s cold. Puffs of steam float out of his mouth, and maybe he’d pretend, in his head, that he were a train, if he weren’t so scared. He wraps his arms around himself, and shivers, fingers starting to tingle from the temperature already.

Over the sound of his roaring heartbeat, he can hear snarls and barks in the distance. This is familiar, somehow.

Thinking he might find something, or someone he knows closer to the sounds of fighting in the distance, he heads in the direction of the tearing sounds echoing in the distance.

This whole place has a repetitive, ghostly atmosphere; the tree bark is blackened silver, and the dead leaves on the ground are obscured also, like the colours have been drained out and replaced by something ominous.

He walks for ages, not seeming to get anywhere at all. Why does everything still look the same? He still hasn’t worked out where he is.

The sounds of fighting stops suddenly, and the creeping sensation that he’s being watched that had been building up suddenly intensifies.

A sharp, rasping breath behind him makes him turn around so fast he nearly misses what made it; but when he does he screams, and scrambles backwards, falling over.

The wolf, the one that annihilated his hand all those weeks ago, is charging towards him, darkened dirt clods flying up with each kick of its huge paws. Its eyes are every bit as yellow as he remembers, and its teeth just as big. He shrieks again, unable to get back up in time to start running before the colossal beast reaches him. He turns around again- big mistake- the thing’s so close now, he can smell its breath. The foul odour of carrion fills his nostrils, making him feel nauseous and he loses his footing again.

Less than a second and the wolf is upon him, it’s hot exhalations washing over his face, highlighting the feeling of the tears he hadn’t noticed before, and he can’t do anything but scream until his voice is dying out, and then it leans forward to take a bite-

He wakes up a damp mess of tangled bed sheets, sweating heavily and making horrendous wheezing noises that he can’t control.

He lies still for a few seconds, waiting for his breathing to calm down, but nothing changes, he still feels like he’s running. It’s stupid and irrational, but he can’t stop thinking about it, there might be other wolves, enemy wolves, who are trying to kill him because he’s weak and his absence would make it easier to defeat Kyungsoo’s pack.

He struggles to reach for his phone, to call his boyfriend, even though it’s way past midnight and he’s almost certainly asleep.

“Pick up, Pick up,” he chants, as the dial tone plays, and he’s still crying, so he covers his mouth to try and stifle the noise. Kyungsoo picks up on the sixth ring,

“…Jongin?” he sleepy, because he just woke up, but mostly he just sounds like home,

“Kyungso-o,” he sobs, voice cracking embarrassingly, but there’s nothing he can do about it. He needs to know he’s still there.

“Jongin, what’s wrong?” he sounds lot more alert now,

“Kyungsoo, I’m ing sca-ared,” he cries, and he can hear rustling in the background, and he can’t tell if it’s him or Kyungsoo, or something outside, so he burrows underneath his duvet and tries to force his breathing to be more regular.

“Jongin, you still there? I’m on my way, I’ll be there in a few minutes, ok?” he promises urgently, sounding a bit breathy as he thunders down the stairs, but it could just be static from the phone connection.

“Ok,” he whispers,

“Jongin, I’m gonna have to hang up for a bit ok? So Blaidd can take over and I’ll be there faster than just me running, ok?” Kyungsoo speaks reassuringly, like he’s talking to a child. Jongin nods, but then remember he can’t see him, and yelps an affirmative noise into the receiver, and Kyungsoo hangs up a second later.

He huddles into the blankets, too unsettled to go and close the curtains properly. Not that that would help; if there was a wolf out there no amount of locks and bars would keep it out.

But then, there wouldn’t be one there anyway, right? He tries to convince himself that this is true, because this whole area smells like Kyungsoo now, and Kyungsoo is undeniably wolf. An enemy wolf wouldn’t deliberately go near here, no sane one anyway.

He’s starting to calm down a little bit, when there really is a noise outside. A clattering sound that means something has been knocked over, the recycling bin maybe.

It’s just a fox, it’s just a fox.

-

yep this chapter was better (◍•ᴗ•◍) 

did you notice the new banner? made it myself haha i might do some more in that style that match the chapter...like a what lurks manga lmao

commentez s'il tu plait (ʃƪ ˘ ³˘) did i succeed in scaring anyone?? No? aw