Twenty Two

What Lurks

 

Jongin doesn't remember waking up, he just remembers being awake. Maybe it was a slow thing, one of those morning where you don't remember anything except looking at the person who shares the bed with you.

Except Kyungsoo isn't there. Maybe he's downstairs, or in the bathroom or something. Jongin rolls over and closes his eyes again, trying to get some more sleep even though he doesn't really need it. He's not tired, however, and sleep eludes him. His mind instead plagued by thoughts and theories.

He's definitely not going to become a wolf right?

And what happens when his mum finds out? Because she's bound to discover his absence sooner or later, and it's not like she doesn't know where Kyungsoo lives. Assuming that Jongin will be here is a logical step, and then she’ll come on a raging rampage and take him away from Kyungsoo again.

He groans quietly to himself, then launches himself upright before he has the chance to talk himself out of it. He shuffles to where he emptied his clothes out the night- morning?- before, and carelessly selects something to wear, shrugging it on absent minded-ly.

He washes, brushes his teeth and slowly comes alive, wandering back into Kyungsoo's room with a livelier gait that when he left it.

Kyungsoo's still not there when he returns, so he goes downstairs to search for him, humming softly to himself. The carpet feels fluffy beneath his sock-less feet, and it's a warm contrast to the wooden staircase in Jongin's own home.

He can hear raised voices in the living room, so he approaches with caution, footsteps slow and muffled. Kyungsoo’s mother is talking-shouting, really- on the phone incredulously,

“Are you sure that's what you're trying to say? Are you really phoning me up and accusing my son of being not only insane but- oh, I assure you-”

Maybe it's his mum on the other end. Jongin's good mood vanishes, and suddenly its sub-zero degrees in here.

He decides to try something that he hasn't in a while: his boyfriend's hearing is more sensitive than his and most other humans, so he risks saying his name, just quietly,

“Kyungsoo?” Almost instantly, he appears right next to him, taking hold of both of his hands and lacing them together.

“Jongin, you're mum's on the phone. She's. She thinks I’ve kidnapped you.” his mouth slants, unable to smile properly,

“But-”

“I know, but. I was surprised you believed me so quickly. You're the exception, she's the norm. Most people think we're either crazy or high on something. But you believed me, like, immediately.” That’s because it was just right, he wants to say. There was no point denying what was true.

“What do we do?” Jongin is confused. He's not sure who would be in the right, legally speaking. Probably his mother, actually. So if she took this to court or something, then she'd win, and he'd never see Kyungsoo again.

And Kyungsoo and his family would have to go into hiding. That’s a horrifying thought; there has to be another way, some way they can persuade her, make her believe they're not lying or insane. He pulls on Kyungsoo’s arms to bring him closer and slips them around his neck.

“I don't know. I think the best we can do is wait for her to come over here and then one of us-me probably- will shift in front of her. Then she can't go report it to anyone, 'cos then they'll just call her crazy too,” that seems to be their best chance.

The phone call seems to be getting more and more heated and intense. Kyungsoo cautiously edges into the room, and both of them sit on the sofa together as she finishes up. Kyungsoo's dad is stood leaning against the wall next to the window, wearing an angrily pensive expression.

Kyungsoo is absent-mindedly his thumb over Jongin's scars, and it makes his chest feel all warm. Maybe it doesn't matter as much as he thought that he's disfigured.

“You have no right whatsoever to accuse anyone of that. Not only is it insulting, it's unfounded. Yes, please do!” she slams the phone down, and Jongin swears he hears something go crunch. They may be needing a new phone.

“What's happening?” Kyungsoo asks, gripping Jongin hand tighter, and it hurts slightly, but he's not going to say anything.

“She's on her way here, she'll be-” she looks at the clock, “about twenty minutes I think.” Kyungsoo nods,

“Who's gonna..?” Kyungsoo waves his free hand around vaguely between the three of them.

“I think you should go first, and then if she doesn't faint, your dad will too.” the man in question swoops in onto the sofa, silently. Jongin never hears him coming, and jumps every time he speaks up.

“Ok, that sounds good. Kyungsoo, we'll get her in here somehow. I don't mind if you break some clothes this once,” Kyungsoo manages a watery grin,

“Thanks dad. I'm glad it's taking a practically life or death situation for me to be allowed to break my clothes,” he laughs, humourlessly, obviously more affected by the tension than he’s trying to let on. His mother glares at him, and points to the door,

“Why don't you go and change into your dressing gown,” she suggests, subdued. Kyungsoo nods, and stands up, not letting go of Jongin, “you can go by yourself, Kyungsoo,”

“What? But-” Kyungsoo splutters, indignant, but shuts up when he sees his mum's face, “fine,”

He exits, leaving Jongin with his parents. It's not awkward, particularly, because he's been alone with them before. Well, maybe not so much with his dad, but with his mum he has several times. They chat sometimes when Kyungsoo is training- that’s when she got the chance to show Jongin his baby pictures too.

“Jongin. May I please take a look at your hand?” she holds our her own, for him to place it in. He stares for a moment, then does so hesitantly,

“Kyungsoo already told me about the bite...”

“Oh no, I just wanted to make sure you were healing properly,”

“Oh. Well I was in the hospital for it for a while,”

“Yes, I know. You know, wolves don't have accelerated healing abilities. And we don't live an extra long time. Some of us are stronger, and we share things like sight, and hearing, but that's about it,” Jongin doesn't know why she's telling him this, he already knows most of it anyway; Kyungsoo told him.

“Yeah,” she nods, satisfied, and looks down at Jongin's hand. She inspects it, turning it this way and that, flipping it over twice and pressing her calloused fingers along the darkest scars before coming to her conclusion,

“That's a nasty injury,” she has sympathy in her eyes, “you're lucky you can move your arm at all, look,” she points to a row of deep teeth-marks lie, “these are so close to the tendons, it’s a miracle, almost, it still works,”

“Mm,” he's kind of wishing Kyungsoo would hurry up and rescue him, this is getting uncomfortable. He doesn't enjoy scrutiny at the best of times, and when it's on a part of him he doesn't like anyway, that's even worse.

“Would you like something to eat? You look thin, dear,”

“Yes, please,” he watches as she gets up and goes into the kitchen,

“What would you like? We've got bread-you could have toast? Cereal?”

“Could I have some cereal please?”

“Of course,” she holds up two boxes, and Jongin points to the one on the left. She brings him a bowl of it and some milk, and he starts to eat. He's surprised how hungry he is, though he really shouldn't be, considering how little he's eaten lately. He eats with the bowl barely an inch from his face, spoon clanking against his teeth messily.

Kyungsoo waddles ungainly back into the room, wearing only his dressing gown. It's inappropriate to think about that when his parents are in the room and no doubt can smell it on him, but he can't help it.

Kyungsoo sits on him,

“Um. Do you mind? Eating here,” he says, trying to push him off, but Kyungsoo just opens his mouth for some food, “no,” he extends the vowel, as if speaking to a baby.

“Please?”

“Nope,” he shovels more into his mouth, and smiles as he chews,

“Eurgh,” Kyungsoo wrinkles his nose, and he smiles wider, and Kyungsoo laughs at him.

The doorbell rings, and they stop laughing.

-

heyyy ( ˘ ³˘)♥ did everyone have a good valentines day? 

its gotten to the point where the comments are hardly about the fic anymore lmao not that i mind COMMENT CHATTING WITH U PEOPLE IS FUN

kyungsoo's mum showing jongin the baby pictures...