Thirty Nine

What Lurks

It’s Jadzia’s brother who falls first, crouching onto hands and knees, and leaping towards his sister, pouncing while still half human. Even for a wolf, midway between two forms is not a pretty sight; Blaidd sniffs disapprovingly.

It’s also a very reckless thing to do since when in their ’embryonic’ so-to-speak form, they’re very vulnerable and it doesn’t take much to render them unconscious. But maybe they’ve trained to shift quicker because he’s already fully canine by the time Kyungsoo is half done shifting back, the agony ripping into him and Blaidd whining pitifully.

He flies to Jadizia defence immediately, jumping across her and ploughing the monstrous wolf out of his trajectory. Instantly, he turns on him, his eyes wild with rage and Kyungsoo can’t help but feel that this is the sort of face that’s been haunting his mate’s nightmares.

He doesn’t waste time; feinting left and attacking right- unfortunately the stereotype that states ‘big equals stupid’ proves false here: while he falls for it the first time, tactics like that won’t work twice. He uses his smaller size to his advantage; he ducks low and goes for his legs, not caring that this is Jadzia’s relative. Blood ties were abandoned the moment she stepped onto this field.

Kyungsoo gets a good bite on his foreleg, but it’s not nearly deep enough to be considered serious. He backs away quickly, out of range for a moment but his adversary follows him, snapping at his heels. Kyungsoo twists uncomfortably and then using his full strength, catapults himself at his attacker, using his momentum to overbalance the brute. He scratches across his neck and ear with his claws, then bounds backwards out of range again. His wound wrenches, a painful reminder that it was stupid of him to volunteer for this mission.

The brute notices his limp, and plays to his weakness; going straight for his already badly injured shoulder without preamble, his shocking agility belying his huge mass. Kyungsoo is too slow to evade him this, and his long, yellow teeth catch on the torn skin, pulling more away, and he crumples from the pain. God-ing-damn that hurts!

Blaidd howls, agony tearing through the both of them, and they scramble to get away from him dealing the final blow. Blaidd whimpers, and can’t move. Kyungsoo, with the barrier between his mind and the excruciating pain meaning he feels it marginally less, takes control of Blaidd’s body.

He crawls away, but he’s not nearly fast enough with his lurching gait, and Jadzia’s brother is on him again in less than a second, his jaw clamping down hard around his leg. He howls, crying for escape he’ll never attain, and the other – bigger- wolf shakes his head and tears at more of sinews. If he were human, right now he’d have tears streaking down his face.

He’s never been beaten this badly in his life, he’s never felt pain like this before and he hopes he never will again. He wouldn’t wish this on anyone, except maybe the person who dealt it to him.

Jadzia’s brother loosens his jaws- he’s not sure if he’s extremely unfortunate that he went for the muscle or lucky he didn’t snap the bone- intending to bite back down again, and tear off a chunk of his flesh, but he doesn’t get the chance.

Jadzia leaps over Kyungsoo’s head and pounces on her his attacker, gashing his face as she barrels into him and knocks him out of the way. Another wolf is upon him in an instant, and they –Kyungsoo can’t tell who it is, he can barely think straight with this agony – and together they tear him apart.

Despite knowing he’s probably not safe, and that it will hurt more in human form, he forces himself to shift back. He’ll be easier to carry back to get treatment, provided he doesn’t bleed out first, or get killed by another wolf while he’s not able to defend himself.

Lying on his side, he looks down at his leg and his head spins, he throws up. It’s completely mangled, the flesh torn and gushing red liquid onto the grass. Will he ever be able to walk on that? He’s going to be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life, he’s sure. Sometimes he wishes he didn’t have such good vision, because then he wouldn’t be able to see all the shredded bits of skin that are dangling and drenched with blood.

It hurts so much, he screams again, and tries not to vomit. The sounds of something else being ripped to pieces just beyond his eyeline is decidedly not helping. His eye roll upwards, and he can’t see anything for a moment, then he opens his eyes and his head is lying on the wet grass. He must’ve passed out.

He moans, voice catching in his throat, and clutches at the grass. He can’t move, and he can feel another wave of nausea wash over him, and he wretches again, nothing coming up but the water he’d drunk before coming out here. Why couldn’t he just have stayed unconscious?

He’s not sure what he looks like right now, but he doesn’t even care. He wants one of the other wolves to just snap his neck and be done with it. He wants to stop this pain, please. He cries out again, trying not to move, because moving makes his whole leg burst into razors of torture,

“Kyungsoo!” he recognises that voice, he realises, as his consciousness swims. He doesn’t understand what’s going on, but there’s a lot of chatter, and words like ‘survive’ and ‘blood loss’ flying around. He screams when somebody shoves their arms underneath his knees and shoulders and picks him up, gravity pulling excruciatingly on the wound, and his head lolls to the side.

The last thing he hears before he finally black out completely is his dad telling him he’ll be ok.

-

He wakes up feeling cold and numb. And he can’t see anything. He panics, but he can’t move properly, limbs limp and unresponsive to his commands. He feels like he’s floating in water but also underground at the same time, and shivering minutely because he’s so cold.

He groans, but all that leaves his throat is a whimper, and he scrunches up his face trying to get himself to open his eyes. The ceiling swims lazily into vision, but the lights attack his retains, so he turns his face to the side and throws his forearm over his eyes to try and block it out.

He can hear Blaidd whining somewhere in the near vicinity but he hasn’t got the willpower to care at the moment.

Where is he? This isn’t his ceiling, he thinks. He just remembers being in a lot of pain, and then he threw up. And then….then after that his dad carried him. Lethargically, his joints all creaking with the type of lethargy that comes from having been put under anaesthetic, he surveys the room he’s in.

It’s very similar to the room Jongin was in after he got his arm torn apart. He’s lying on a small bed, hooked up to an IV which he avoids looking at because needles are gross. There’s a floor length window with white blinds that are open and letting clear bright sunlight fall across Jongin’s face.

Jongin is sat on a chair which he must’ve pulled up to the side of the bed, and he’s asleep with his head resting on folded arms, about an inch away from Kyungsoo’s waist. If only Kyungsoo had his phone right now, he’d take so many pictures of this moment. With his hand that’s not got a needle in it, he reaches across and touches Jongin’s hair affectionately.

The sunlight illuminates Jongin’s red eyes, and eyelashes still which are glistening wetly from what was probably a fairly violent reaction to Kyungsoo’s current state. He stays like this, just Jongin’s hair absently as he thinks about things. Blaidd joins in on the affection too, nuzzling against Jongin even though there’s no way he’d ever be able to feel it, or even know it was happening. It tugs at Kyungsoo’s heart strings, and he can feel his lips turn down in a grimace borne of anguish.

He doesn’t want to see the damage that’s been done to his leg; just thinking about it is painful and depressing. Now he knows exactly how Jongin felt when he’d been in hospital for his own injury. Except he’d had it worse, because Kyungsoo at least has Jongin to lean on, at least a little bit.

But what if he really does have to be in a wheelchair forever? Blaidd limps around Jongin and shoves his nose into his hip, decidedly displeased with all these negative thoughts, and throws some images of Jongin’s recovery and then of a wishy-washy one with him smiling happily in a wheelchair next to Jongin.

He supposes he’s trying to say that he can still be happy in a wheelchair if he’s with Jongin, but it’s still sad to think of all the things he won’t be able to do any more. What if this list includes becoming alpha? Will he lose the ability to compete if he can’t stand up?

The door clicks open, interrupting his train of thought, and Jongin’s mother and his own parents walk in,

“Kyungsoo, you’re awake!”  His father cries, looking like a bit of a mess too with pallid skin and ruffled hair. His mother rushes to his side and hugs him without jostling Jongin who is still asleep. Kyungsoo wonders how long he must have stayed awake, if he’s still sleeping now.

“You’re in bad shape, kid,” his dad reveals, solemnly waving his hand over his leg. It’s not like he doesn’t have cuts in other places, he knows he probably has lacerations and tears and bruises everywhere.

“I’m sure I don’t need to tell you not to move, right?” his dad asks sternly, and Kyungsoo nods sadly. He knows he shouldn’t, but the concept of being locked up indefinitely gnaws at him.

“How long am I going to be here?” Kyungsoo asks, having difficulty concentrating on anything for more than a few seconds and he’s still shivering. Perhaps these are side effects of the painkillers.

“A good month or so,” Kyungsoo’s mum replies grimly, making her way around Jongin and making Blaidd move frantically out of the way. The sight of him hightailing it away from being squished makes him smile as she pushes his fringe out of his face, “I heard from your father; you were extremely brave out there sweety,”

Kyungsoo just smiles at her, trying to ignore the spreading sense of sadness, of regret. He wishes he hadn’t been so bravely stupid, since because of his recklessness he’s immobilised. 

-

hello~ (。・ω・。)ノ

this is going to be ending soon, there will be 40 chapters in total (so longg ;~;) an epilogue, then ...other things :3

ASK.FM !!! never gonna tire of this thing haha

after this fic ill be moving onto my suchen one; Broken Waves which im writing (kinda) with thatweirdoswife (◍•ᴗ•◍)

comment? even if just to post a smiley face? lol