Thirty Five

What Lurks

It’s a buzzing vibrating sound, emanating from one of their bags. Kyungsoo groans –it’s probably important. Can’t they just bask in the afterglow for a few minutes?

Jongin feels cold without Kyungsoo next to him, and it doesn’t help that he’s all sweaty still. His teeth start chattering while Kyungsoo is rooting around in his bag for the source of the interruption. He tugs the duvet over his legs, and over his waist, not caring about the gross feeling of the fabric touching his wet skin.

“Aha!” Kyungsoo’s found his phone. He swipes his finger across the screen, and lifts the phone to his ear, only to flinch away from a loud cry of Jongin’s name that he could hear all the way from over here. That probably hurt,

“No, Sehun, it’s Kyungsoo,” he says roughly, pissed off that this moment has been breached by his annoying friend. Jongin doesn’t really mind, still feeling like he’s floating two feet above everyone else, so when Kyungsoo says “yeah,” and hands him the phone, he answers with a bright,

“Hello Sehun!”

“Jongin!” he sounds distressed, “I need to meet you at your house, can I come over? Please?”

“Yeah, sure. Coincidentally, we’re here already,” he smiles bemusedly, wondering what’s got Sehun so worked up,

“…great, I’ll be there soon. I. I need to tell. Talk to you about something, it’s really important,”

“Ok, see you then,” Sehun hangs up abruptly, and Jongin looks up at Kyungsoo who is looking at the phone, speculative. Suspicious.

“If that was what I think it was, we may need to cover up that bite-mark,” Kyungsoo frowns, and Jongin feels weirdly uncomfortable at the thought of hiding something so precious to him. He wants everyone to see it, but he can understand why that might be weird.

Kyungsoo crawls back into bed with him, having no qualms at this point about his state of undress. Even the fact that he was just on the phone with someone doesn’t bother him. Jongin worms his way closer, trying to get as much contact as he can, because Kyungsoo’s warmer than he has a right to be.

“We need to get dressed,” Kyungsoo states unhappily, lamenting the need to relinquish his hold on his mate. If they had their way they would just lie together forever with breaks to have food, and other necessities now and then.

Neither of them move for a while, but Jongin can feel their alone time slipping away from them like it’s tangible, like he can see the sand in the hourglass falling away. He grunts, and sits up, crawling precariously over Kyungsoo so he can get to his clothes. First he has to wash himself though, so he goes to the bathroom, wincing at the sting with every step.

When he’s clean he dresses himself, and is surprised to find Kyungsoo already dressed, and lying languidly across his bed, staring up at the ceiling with serene and pleased expression. Jongin is intrigued, and he wants to know what he’s thinking about, so he asks,

“Blaidd hasn’t been this quiet for so long in years. I’m… revelling in the silence,” he explains. Instead of verbalising a response, Jongin just nods, not wanting to break it. He lies back down next to him. Kyungsoo brings his hand up, and drags it along Jongin’s thigh, until he reaches the curve of his , and leaves it there.

“Is your shirt going to cover the bite-mark? Sehun might be a bit…shocked by it, is all,”

“Um, I don’t know, it should do,” not that he cares that much what Sehun thinks anyway, he scoffs.

Actually, Sehun’s mocking abilities are the strongest he’s ever seen, and seeing the purpling, bruised teeth shape will give him ammunition for months. Years even. Unfortunately there isn’t anything he can cover it with. He’ll just have to have to collar up all the way, gangster style.

As he’s pulling the two flaps of fabric into place, the doorbell rings. Then again, this time paired with frantic knocking and an urgent call of, “Jongin! Anytime now would be nice!”

He gets up, harried by Sehun’s seriousness, and goes downstairs to open the door closely followed by his mate. Just the thought of that word makes him feel all golden and glow-y inside, it’s strong enough to make him forget the sharp buzzing pain in his backside.

Sehun doesn’t even give Jongin the chance to properly open the door before he comes barrelling in and throws his arms around Jongin’s shoulders in an uncharacteristically affectionate hug. This only lasts a moment though, as he recoils almost reflexively,

“Am I crazy?” he asks, eyes wide. He looks pale, “tell me I’m not crazy,”

“Well, that depends on why you think you’re crazy?” Jongin squeaks, unaccustomed to such overfriendliness.

“Can we go to you room?” Sehun asks, only to be met with awkward silence. It’ll be obvious what they just did if they let him up there.

“Uh, maybe we could just go to the living room,” Kyungsoo finally manages to get out. Sehun blinks at them then slowly agrees turning his whole body to go sit on the sofa, and sending mistrustful squints their way.

Kyungsoo and Jongin follow him, settling down next to each other with a tiny gap between them, despite the simmering need to be touching.

“So what’s wrong?” Jongin encourages, swirling his hand in front of him- a gesture to keep talking,

“I was at Jadzia’s house, and she told me today that she’s a werewolf, and then- she- she proved it,” he says, gaze fixed on a point on the mantelpiece to their left and voice monotone.

“Yes, I know,” Kyungsoo agrees. Sehun’s head snaps around to face him, skin going even paler,

“You- she- you- what?”

“I mean; I knew she was a werewolf,” he proceeds very carefully, gauging for Sehun’s reaction. He seems to be going through denial at the moment. Jongin’s hand scuttles over to rest lightly on Kyungsoo’s thigh.

“What? – How?!” he splutters, spreading his legs and resting his elbows on his knees, face buried in his palms, “she turned into- she’s a- a wolf! She’s-“ he degenerates to low shocked mumbling,

“Mhm, she’s a werewolf,” Kyungsoo affirms. His head swivels to face Jongin, and they argue silently for a moment,

Go and do something, Kyungsoo’s eyes say,

No, tell him about you too, Jongin’s retort,

Uh-uh, look at him, he jerks his head, get over there, Jongin curls his fists in exasperated frustration. He switches sides, and puts an arm around Sehun, who immediately leans into his side.

“Sehun,” Jongin starts, but he hadn’t actually planned a sentence to follow that so he shrugs helplessly at his mate. He doesn’t understand this feeling, what Sehun’s going through right now, exactly. Kyungsoo thinks he skipped this part.

“Sehun, it’s ok,” Jongin tries again.

“No, it’s not ok; my girlfriend’s a- a monster! I saw her turn into a wolf!” Jongin cringes. Kyungsoo’s right, this probably isn’t the best time to tell him that he’s a ‘monster’ too. To Jongin’s surprise, Kyungsoo gets down on his knees and lowers his head so he’s speaking right next to his head,

“Sehun, think about this; she’s always been a werewolf. Did she seem like a monster last week?” he waits for Sehun to respond, but when it becomes clear he’s not saying anything, Kyungsoo ploughs on, “no she didn’t. Last week you thought she was amazing. She’s still amazing, but now you just know one more thing about her.”

Jongin smiles in gratitude, as he’s useless when it comes to comforting, pep talks or anything like that. Sehun moans into his hands,

“I’m going out with a werewolf,” he states, sounding emotionally detached. His knee starts bouncing the way it always does when he’s confused or thinking. Jongin wants to say ‘me too’ but he thinks that would be too much for the poor boy to handle.

“That means her family are werewolves too, doesn’t it? Oh my god, no wonder her brother’s better than everyone,” he groans again, Kyungsoo and Jongin share a look over his head.

“Yeah, actually-” Kyungsoo starts, but Sehun sits up quickly, head-butting Jongin’s chin and gaping anxiously at Kyungsoo,

“How did you guys know she was a werewolf?!” he squeaks, as Kyungsoo attends to Jongin's chin, “sorry,” he adds, noticing Kyungsoo’s glare,

“Do you really want to know?” Kyungsoo spits. His hand works its way slowly along Jongin’s jaw and stops on his neck, fingertips brushing the hair at the nape of his neck and reminding him of what they were doing before Sehun appeared.

“Yes?” Sehun frowns, at least he doesn’t look like a ghost anymore. Kyungsoo sighs and looks at Jongin as if requesting permission. Jongin shrugs, dislodging Kyungsoo’s hand.

“You have to stay calm ok? No more running off, just. Sit there until we say otherwise,” he orders,

“Oh god,” Sehun goes lax, and drapes himself over the couch, head on the backrest. Preparing himself for the worst. Kyungsoo looks up at him helplessly,

“Like a plaster. Just tell him, get it over with,” Jongin advises, watching Sehun’s face screw up,

“Can you stop acting like this is going to ruin my life? ‘cause if you keep this up I’ going to believe it.”

“Ok. Fine: I’m a werewolf too. Jadzia is from a different pack though,” both Kyungsoo and Sehun close their eyes and freeze, waiting for some sort of backlash, Jongin supposes.

“Oh my god, ok. Ok. Um.” Sehun takes a deep breath, and Kyungsoo lifts himself to his feet, ready to take on any hysteria Sehun can throw at him, “oh my god,” he repeats, and brings his knees up to his chest.

“Kyungsoo, a moment alone if you don’t mind,” Jongin mutters. Kyungsoo rolls his eyes and stalks upstairs silently. Jongin watches his on the way out. Maybe once Sehun’s gone again…

“The world’s gone to , Jongin, what is even going on?” Sehun whines. Jongin has no response for that, so he just keeps awkwardly patting him on the back.

“What do I do?”

“I don’t know. Maybe you should just talk to her again, she probably feels like because you ran off.”

“Well I’m sorry I was shocked to see her transform into a ing animal!”

“That’s not what I meant, ok I understand where you’re coming from, but think about it from her perspective. She trusted you enough to tell you her biggest secret. That means she must really like you, right? At least you don’t have to worry about that. Maybe you should just call her?” Jongin suggests, thinking back to when Kyungsoo told him. They’re so very different.

Sehun pulls his phone from his pocket and selects his girlfriend from his contacts list. She’s right at the top, with a little heart symbol in front of her name, and Jongin thinks that’s cute. He really is infatuated, and it shouldn’t take that long for him to get over this hurdle.

The dial tone rings, put she doesn’t pick up. Jongin shrugs, and Sehun just looks despondent,

“You should definitely keep trying,” he says, doing his best to sound encouraging. He hears footsteps coming down the stairs, and something must be wrong because Kyungsoo usually makes no sound at all,

“-can’t just leave them here!” he shouts, and kicks the door open, frantic eyes settling on Jongin. He’s on the phone, most likely to his parents if his face is anything to go by,

“No! I’m not leaving him alone!” he shakes his head even though the person on the other end can’t see it, “I don’t care! I’ll wait till you get here, I’m not risking it,” Jongin stands and goes over to him, mouthing ‘what’s wrong?’

“Well, tell him to hurry up then!” he explodes, hanging up the phone and making Jongin jump. He takes Jongin into his arms, “we’re being attacked again, but I’m not leaving you here alone,” he murmurs, thrumming with anxiety.


- - - - 

 

Ok so who expected that? shirts hiting the fan lmao :D

lookie here you can send me questions and i'll answer them as kyungsoo or jongin or anyone \(^O^)/ 

you can just read the questions that i've already answered too: you might learn something

also; please comment (^_^) im friendly i swear