Twenty Three

What Lurks

 

-

Less than a second after the bell is rung, there is an angry knock on the door,

“Jongin, I know you're in there. Please, just come home,” she begs, banging on the door again. Kyungsoo's mum goes to answer it, ready for their stage.

“Please, Mrs. Kim, come in.”

“I'd really rather not,” Jongin's mum recoils from her, as though she were contagious. He's never seen her like this, and it's severely disappointing. And very offensive to him, too.

“I insist,” she pushes, gritting her teeth, and holding an arm out to point her to the front room where everyone else is located.

“Mum? In here,” Jongin calls, and to Kyungsoo he whispers, “good luck,” and helps his dad push the coffee table out of the way. Kyungsoo sits next to his dad on the opposite couch.

Both women come into the room looking very uncomfortable, both for different reasons. His mum is very angry, and slightly red in the face which only happens when she's very embarrassed or so furious she can't think straight. He's only ever seen her this way once before, but at that she was screaming at him for painting the entire TV screen with rash cream. Not one of his greatest ideas ever (he had been very little at the time).

And the fact that she is fuming silently, and glaring at everyone- even at Jongin- just makes her that much more terrifying. It's so difficult to predict what humans will do when provoked, and to be fair, this is a huge provocation on their part. He really needs to start thinking about consequences of his actions before it’s too late to do anything about them.

The look she gives Kyungsoo is on the surface mostly disgusted, but underneath that Jongin can also see regret and fear. That part is likely to grow in a few minutes, especially when she finds out she’s more obviously scared to them than to him.

Kyungsoo's mum primly gestures for her to sit on the sofa next to Jongin, and she does so, her thigh pressed up against his. He realises she's acting as a barrier, sitting between him and them. He tries to inconspicuously lean away, as she's being a little too imposing, but she just smothers him.

Thinking that she can't be heard if she whispers-who is she supposed to know they can hear much quieter things, if she doesn't believe they're really werewolves?- she spits harshly,

“How dare you sneak out! Jongin, you are no longer a child! You should know better than to behave like this!”

“Yes! I know I'm not a child, so you need to start respecting my not-child decisions!”

“You are still my son, and not yet an adult! I am your legal guardian and you will do as I say. When you move out you may do whatever the hell you want,”

“Consider this, me moving out, ok? You think I'm a lying anyway, don't you?” he yells, and oops.

He can't take that back, what's said in the heat of the moment. Everybody freezes for a moment, until his mother with wide eyes and furrowed eyebrows- making her look even angrier than she was before- spits out;

“Come back home. Now,” she won’t take no for an answer, and she definitely won't give in just by arguing. She’s always been impenetrable by techniques involving attrition; no matter how much he nagged and pestered nothing ever worked.

Jongin and Kyungsoo lock eyes, and for an indeterminable amount of time, Jongin inquires if Kyungsoo can do this, is he ready? Kyungsoo nods, and steps forward,

“I know you don't believe me but hopefully this should help prove that I'm not a liar,” he says, quietly, but proudly, not a single syllable missed out or wavering.

Jongin's mum watches him warily, ready to evade him at any moment. Jongin is extremely offended by her behaviour: he hadn't thought of her as anything-phobic. He doesn't even know what she's afraid of, him being insane or being a werewolf. Or a stoner.

Kyungsoo nods, when it's obvious he's not going to elicit any sort of positive response from her. He starts to shrug off his dressing gown, staring at the floor self-consciously -yet another thing Jongin doesn't understand.

Kyungsoo rolls his neck, the start of his transformation, and something Jongin is very familiar with. Next his back will jerk up in a way that looks painful, but Kyungsoo assures him really isn't. Sure enough, Kyungsoo gets down on his hands and knees and begins the process of rearranging his body.

His chances a glance at his mother, who is shaking, wide-eyed and very pale. He thinks she might be about to throw up. They should’ve thought to bring a bucket or something for this, yet another thing they didn’t think through.

Kyungsoo is sprouting his fur now, sicking cracks and wet noises permeating the air. Jongin's more able to cope with this than he used to be, but he still struggles believing that it doesn't hurt. How can he not feel that?

Kyungsoo's parents slip out of the room, subtly,

He looks like a wolf now, though he's not completely done changing, still a few parts of Blaidd body that have yet to emerge. Kyungsoo's eyes are pinned on Jongin's mother, and he watches her carefully, on the lookout for any sudden movements, or indication that she's going to faint or throw up.

He slowly, so as not to startle her, moves closer to Jongin. She emits a petrified squeak, and grips painfully onto Jongin's thigh with every inch nearer. He lies on the floor next to the sofa and rests his head in Jongin's lap, and she snatches her hand away, scooting down to the far end of the sofa.

Jongin slides his hands into Kyungsoo fur, and massages his head. Kyungsoo looks up at him with his huge, glassy brown eyes. His tail hangs down forlornly. He looks so sad, and Jongin feels the same way if he's honest.

“Mum? Are you ok?” he chances, afraid that she's going to run screaming, and attract loads of people, or even worse try to hurt him. She twitches, almost spasmodically, so Jongin shoots out an arm to protect Kyungsoo.

She looks at him completely blind-sided, offended even.

“No, not really,” the words tumble out of and if Jongin had to put a simile to them then it would be 'like scrambled eggs'.

Jongin doesn't know what to say to her. Kyungsoo moves in his lap, minutely, drawing his attention back to him. Kyungsoo whines softly,

“So...do you believe us now?” Jongin asks, laughing sardonically. Everything now resides on her answer. Well not really, as she can't physically drag him out of the house, not if he or Kyungsoo can help it.

She says nothing, just watches Kyungsoo. Jongin can see the colour slowly seeping back into her cheeks, and then permeating her face. He hopes she isn't getting angry again.

She raises one quivering arm, pointing at Kyungsoo, and Jongin leans forward and covers him with his body, as if he could protect him from what he's sure his mother's about to say.

“That's. Impossible,” she rasps, shaking her head as if it makes what she just saw less real.

“No, it's not,” he corrects, “this is Kyungsoo, he's a werewolf, and we're not lying to you,” he drags his hand through the dark fur on the top of Kyungsoo's head, ruffling it up and making it stand in spikes between his fingers until Kyungsoo snorts at him, making him stop.

Jongin's mum has begun shaking slightly, and although he's still very angry with her, he worried about her. He hopes she's not about to break down or anything, he doesn’t think he’d be able to handle that.

He continues massaging his boyfriend's head- it still feels a little weird to think that while he's technically Blaidd- just to give him something else to focus on instead of potentially being permanently kicked out of his home. Kyungsoo's mother steps in, and saves the day,

“Jongin, Kyungsoo, maybe you should go outside or something. I'll speak to your mother,” she promises, sending them both away.

They're ushered outside, into the cold-why didn't she send them too Kyungsoo's room? That would've been so much better. He sighs. Just before she shuts the door, he hears, “Now, would you like a cup of tea,”

Huffing and watching as his breaths steam up in front of his face, he plonks himself onto the seat he usually sits in when he watches the wolves practice. Kyungsoo stands next to him and his cheek affectionately. Jongin sits through it dutifully, eyes screwed up in mild disgust, and when he stops he stares him down,

“Ew,” Kyungsoo chuckles -at least Jongin thinks he does- in response, “Also I'm not returning the favour, turn human again.” he commands, but Kyungsoo just looks at him, somehow able to convey the emotion of scepticism with a canine face. Jongin rolls his eyes, “Do you think I really care about at this point?” he says scathingly. Kyungsoo breathes in front of his face, and then Jongin gets it; it'd be way too cold for him to be out here. Jongin shrugs and hunches in on himself to try and stay warm.

It's alright for Kyungsoo because he has fur, he's got no socks on or anything that might keep him warm. His teeth are chattering already and they’ve only been outside a few minutes.

Kyungsoo bites him gently in possible sympathy, and then forgoing that idea, crawls on top of him and refuses to move.

“Augh, no, get off,” Jongin whines, and Kyungsoo shushes him. Is he serious? Was that even what that was? He continues whining about how heavy his boyfriend is as a wolf, until Kyungsoo snaps at him and he apologises. At least his feet are warm now.

His hands are beginning to burn from the low temperatures, so he slides them under Kyungsoo's belly, making him jump in shock.

Jongin can't hear whatever is going down in the living room, and since Kyungsoo is too busy listening to their conversation to pay him any attention, and now that he’s warm and relatively comfortable, he feels himself beginning to become sleepy despite only having been awake an hour or so. The morning light isn't too bright yet, so he closes his eyes, promising himself that he'll wake up in a minute or two.

-

Laurie are you happy now???!??! HUH? u better be ¬¬

(◍•ᴗ•◍)❤ everyone else who isnt mean please comment (◍•ᴗ•◍)❤