Ten

What Lurks

 

They next meet at school, on Monday, having agreed not to broadcast the fact they're together now, after the train wreck of trying to keep it secret from his mum.

She had figured it out pretty quickly, much to his chagrin. It was all Kyungsoo's fault though, he insisted. He kept getting all close to him, flustering him, and putting his arm around his waist, or touching their knees together.

He gave up trying to push him away after the third time, because he knew Kyungsoo was enjoying parading this around in front of his mother. Even if they're supposedly dating, that doesn't make him less annoying.

As usual, he comes in to find Kyungsoo sat in his seat, bearing a self-satisfied smile and Jongin wants to hit him for it. He doesn't: instead he just sits on his lap, letting Kyungsoo take his full weight with a small 'oof' that makes him feel a whole lot better.

He greets Sehun, who's looking at him speculatively,

“I still think what I though last Friday,” he makes a weird face, which makes him look like an amphibian,

“I am aware, Sehun,” he says back, in the snobbiest voice he can pull off, earning him a slap on the leg from Kyungsoo underneath him, “ow,”

“Don't you have a lesson first thing today?” Sehun asks nonchalantly,

,” Jongin exclaims, scrambling off Kyungsoo's lap hastily, without even thinking to regret anything until later on in class.

He'd sat on Kyungsoo's lap. Right in front of everyone else.

He sighs. It's not like they haven't done that sort of thing before he suppose. Sehun's right: looking back, a lot of the things they did could be considered flirting, like the constant touching, teasing etc. He'd been unconsciously developing his crush for maybe a week or two now.

He throws his bag onto the floor next to his assigned seat in his law class. He hates law, he regrets choosing it as a subject. Instead of focusing very hard on what his teacher is saying, he daydreams. Maybe one or two of them contain Kyungsoo, but he's not going to tell anyone.

At lunchtime, there aren't enough seats to go round-usually they'd borrow some from neighbouring tables but they're all taken-so somebody has to sit on the floor or someone else's lap. Due to Jongin's 'just come out of a lesson I hate' daze, he's not fast enough to get one of them.

Sehun points and laughs, “it's like musical chairs in here,” he comments with a snort. Nice. Jongin curls his lip at him, then looks to Kyungsoo, who is patting his lap expectantly. Jongin raises his brow, who exactly is the dog here?

He goes to sit on Sehun, who complains loudly and profusely about the whole situation, loud enough that other people turn around to see what’s going on.

Pointing at Kyungsoo, he yells, “Why don't you go sit on his lap, you fat ?! Argh!” he tries to push him off, but Jongin wraps his arms around his head, resisting with spirited snorts of laughter. Only when Sehun gives in and lets Jongin stay, does Jongin move. Sehun reactions are so great when he annoys him, it’s always worth it to mess him around.

But Sehun isn't who he's dating. He looks at the person whom he is, and is disappointed to find that he looks a little angry, but then he sees his hands. Nails half buried in his (very nice) jean-clad thighs, and fingers so rigid he can see the ligaments that move them, prominent from tension.

His guess is that either Blaidd has said something to make him angry, or that it's his fault for being too close to Sehun. Or maybe both.

He lowers himself onto the floor right beside him, peeling his claws out of his legs and smoothing them over. Kyungsoo suddenly flips his hands upside down, entrapping Jongin within his grasp. Jongin doesn't try to escape, but glances at Sehun to make sure he can't see.

He smiles up at him, and Kyungsoo relaxes smiling back. He reaches out behind him to find his bag, to get his food. He retrieves his sandwich- marmite- one handedly because one hand is still holding Kyungsoo's and begins to eat, leaning his shoulder on Kyungsoo's knee and trying to ignore the happenings behind him as best he can so he can focus on unwrapping the food in his lap.

That is until Sehun kicks him in the back-not too hard, more of a strong nudge really- claiming none too quietly, “I knew it!” and Jongin's head jerks forward harshly.

“Augh,” Jongin complains turning around to glare, and possibly smack the idiot in revenge. He barely even notices Kyungsoo's grip tighten and face turn thunderous, until Sehun bares his hands in a sign of peace, grinning playfully but unapologetic.

Then everyone butts in and there's about five people asking things all at once, and all of them trying to be heard over the other. Jongin fully intends to poker-face it out until they calm it down, but then Kyungsoo shouts;

“Quiet!” and to Jongin's intense surprise they obey him. Maybe it's his wolf showing through, a subconscious human reflex to cower in the face of the unknown. They're face are priceless, and Jongin can't restrain the snort that explodes out of him.

Kyungsoo hits him in the back of the head for it, so he just sulks and goes back to his sandwich, after shuffling away, out of arms reach.

Sehun is the first to speak up, as his obnoxiousness knows no bounds apparently, and anything relating or causing embarrassment for Jongin is worth his time. Such is the nature of their friendship.

“So...” he trails off suggestively, eyes flitting between both of them. Jongin rolls his eyes and shakes his head minutely, knowing where this is going. Kyungsoo just looks a bit confused, but he can't tell if it’s an act or not. So Sehun tries again,

“You and Jongin, huh?” he says to Kyungsoo, waggling his eyebrows obscenely,

“Wouldn't you like to know?” Kyungsoo responds, and Jongin is impressed by his composure. He's usually pretty volatile when provoked (Jongin would know, of course, has borne bruises by Kyungsoo’s hand before,) so the fact that he's not hurling creatively devised expletives in his direction is a pleasant surprise.

“Yes, I would actually,”

“Well, that's a shame,” Kyungsoo feigns sadness for a moment, wiping a melodramatic tear from under his eye. Sehun doesn't miss a beat,

“That means yes, doesn't it,” Jongin waits to see what Kyungsoo will do, because although they agreed not to come straight out to everyone and be like 'hey, were a couple now' they hadn't said anything about what to do if they were sussed out so quickly, which, in retrospect, wasn't very smart of them.

Jongin thinks that he'll be disappointed if Kyungsoo denies it, but at the same time, he'll understand.

After all, it had taken them a while to tolerate- not even fully accept- Kyungsoo as friend as opposed to the freaky stalker that had harassed their friend for weeks.

Kyungsoo doesn't say or do anything, and the longer he waits the harder it's going to be to deny. And Sehun has this maniacal grin slowly rising up his face,

“Eeeeyyy,” he drags the syllable out, raising the intonation towards the end, and re-attracting the attention of Kevin and the others, who had lost interest after Kyungsoo told them to shut up.

Jongin decides now might be as good a time as any to save his boyfriend -it feels weird to say that, even in his head, but not in a bad way- from his stupid friends, and shuffles his way back to his side and laying an arm across his lap. Kyungsoo flicks him, but he likes to think it's done affectionately, so he responds by rubbing his face into his knee.

Kyungsoo laughs at the exaggerated vomit noises Sehun produces. Jongin can only imagine what the idiot must look like.

“You look good together,” is all Kevin can say, before he's drawn back to whispering sweet nothings into his girlfriend's ear. She's blushing, so maybe it's not all that sweet after all.

Over the course of lunch, Sehun eventually gets over it, and Jongin eventually gets a seat so he doesn't have to be on the floor.

Afterwards, just before they have to leave for the last lesson, Kyungsoo pulls him out to the side. Jongin gets flashbacks of the first time Kyungoo did this. So different but still the same.

“My parents want to know when you can come over to my house. Now that you know about us, y'know?” Kyungsoo sounds nervous, and Jongin is too, but for a different reason. Walking into a house full of werewolves -even if they're all related to Kyungsoo – doesn't sound too appealing.

What if they decide he's not good enough for their son and eat him?

“Uh, I'm pretty much free every day, but you already knew that,” Jongin shrugs unhelpfully, and Kyungoo punches him in the arm. Even though he's trying to be gentle, it still hurts; this is how he gets bruises.

“Ow,” he complains, rubbing his injury. Kyungsoo just raises his eyebrows, thinking that he's putting it on.

“So. Sometime next week then, after school?”

“Yeah, I guess?” Jongin says, but he really means 'no, please, no,'

“Ok, see you later?” he says, sliding a hand onto his waist and round onto his back. Jongin reciprocates hesitantly, still unused to this whole physical affection thing, when it's not just between friends. He likes it, but he doesn't know how to do it. He feels like he’s doing it all wrong.

“Yeah, you're coming over tonight?”

“Mhm,” he leans closer and Jongin thinks he's going to hug him, but instead he pinches his waist making him yelp embarrassingly high pitched,

“I hate you, sometimes,” he groans, trying to extricate himself from his arms, “let go, I've got a lesson!” he laughs,

“Nope,” he tightens his arms, and Jongin knows he's never going to get free unless he does what Kyungsoo wants, so he hugs him back, hands reaching around him to clasp at the small of his back. Kyungsoo doesn’t smell of dog, he smells of apples and the cheap chocolate bars he buys sometimes on the way to school.

“See you later,” Jongin hints, and when Kyungsoo doesn't let go, instead tightening his grasp on his clothes, he repeats himself, “See you later, Kyungsoo,”

-

not convinced that this is as good as before -_- oh well what can ya do

very little motivation for editing all this, and i have over 50 pages left to go through, agghh pleeeasse comment