Twenty Eight

What Lurks

He waits, with eyes stretched wide, unable to relax, anticipating more strange sounds in the darkness as he waits for Kyungsoo to arrive. Please come soon.

He watches the red lights of his digital alarm clock, willing the time to move faster than it is. The sweat and-to his shame- tears are making him shiver with the cold, and he really needs Kyungsoo to hurry up right now. At least he didn’t wet the bed; he used to do that when he got nightmares when he was younger. He tries to focus on the positives, but what positives are there?

Kyungsoo is coming is definitely one. He’s alive? It was just a dream? He’s still shaking from it though; it’s not just the cold making his body shudder so badly.

Another minute passes, the red light of his clock changing minutely to display the next number. Another minute. Another. When is Kyungsoo getting here?

A loud bark reverberates though the night air, followed by a low booming snarl, making Jongin quiver even more than he was earlier; is that Kyungsoo? It better be Kyungsoo, but he’s going to wait right here until he hears that comforting tap on the window, and the soft calling of his name.

Another crash and two tones of growling. Someone else is out there, there are two wolves outside his house. Who the hell are they?!

The rips and growls describe to Jongin what is going on outside. There are at least two wolves outside his house. This has been his worst fear since Kyungsoo told him-in detail-exactly how vulnerable he was. Even before the accident with Canlie.

He feels faint, and he’s this close to peeing himself. When is Kyungsoo going to get here? Is one of these wolves going to come in after him, and kill him? It would be what they wanted, wouldn’t it? If they could kill their opponents’ alpha’s son’s (potential) mate then that would cause uproar. And the fact that he hasn’t actually been bitten yet, which would be what gives Kyungsoo the extra energy, means that Kyungsoo may not be strong enough to protect him completely.

Not that he doubts him.

A ferocious and roar, that surely should have woken everybody in vicinity and the most gruesome tear he’s ever heard makes him cover his mouth for fear of throwing up. Somebody has won the fight, and in a few second the victor is going to come for him.

Like a child faced with a monster under the bed, Jongin pulls the duvet up over his head and hides, shivering and still whimpering slightly.

The sounds of his body, breathing and heartbeat are all-encompassing until,

“Jongin?” There’s an urgent tapping on the glass behind the curtains and Jongin melts in to a puddle of relief, “Jongin? Let me in, I need to get you out right now. It’s not safe. Your mum too, c’mon!” he bangs on the window harder, frantic. Jongin gets out of bed and undoes the latch on his window, getting frustrated when it takes a long time to do it, because he’s still shaking and he only has one hand to do it with. The moment Kyungsoo slides into the room, he’s grappling Jongin into a hug and smoothing over his hair,

“It’s ok, you’re ok, you’re safe now,” he repeats, over and over like a broken record. Jongin clings back, and wipes his eyes on Kyungsoo’s shoulders-he guesses it would’ve been too much to carry. Kyungsoo manoeuvres them so Jongin is sitting on his bed, and Kyungsoo is half kneeling, half crouching on the carpet next to him. He starts humming a song, one that Jongin doesn’t know, but it sounds pretty, so he tries to focus on that rather than the fact Kyungsoo was just fighting outside where he lives.

“Thank god you called me when you did,” Kyungsoo sighs, leaning up to rest his forehead on Jongin’s, and he closes his eyes, grateful for the comfort.

“I called you ‘cos I had a nightmare,” he confesses, and Kyungsoo’s contented almost-smile fades, replaced with a worried frown,

“What about?” he whisper-asks, curling his fingers back into his hair and twisting some of it around his fingers.

“The first time. That other wolf.” He fists his bad hand into as small a ball as is possible, “I’ve been fine since you came to get me, but before that I couldn’t sleep at all because of them,”  Kyungsoo’s face twists again,  like when it did when Jongin woke up in the hospital. The memory makes his heart twinge.

Kyungsoo sighs heavily, the force of his breath making his hair move, then pecks his forehead, “C’mon, let’s go wake your mum up. We need to get you both out of here.” Jongin nods, “you go wake her up; I’ll start packing a few sets of clothes for you, ok? I think you might need to be there for a while,” he says, pensive, and opens Jongin’s drawers to start with the clothes.

Jongin, still nervous and jumpy, pads across the landing to his mother’s room. He opens the door quietly, and scuffs his feet across the bare wooden floor ‘till he reaches the edge of her bed, where he kneels down and rest his palms on the duvet and shakes her gently, saying, ‘mum’ a few times. She wakes up groggily on the fifth time, frowning and squinting,

“Jongin..? Why…what are you doing?” she rolls over and turns on the lamp, on the bedside table then gasps, “Jongin, you’re bleeding!”  She throws away the covers and yanks at Jongin’s pyjama top,

“No, I’m not, it’s not mine.” It must be Kyungsoo’s or maybe the other wolf’s, “Don’t worry, just pack some clothes we need to leave,” he gets up to leave, but she doesn’t relinquish her hold on his garment,

What is going on? Not your blood? Why do I need to pack?” she interrogates, looking unusually vulnerable in her just-woken up state. Jongin rarely sees her without make-up on; she looks so tired, and scared like this. Luckily, at that moment Kyungsoo decides to walk in, and now that he’s a fair distance away, Jongin can see that he’s covered in blood as well, dark and saturated in in a t-shirt of Jongin’s he must’ve just put on. He walks over to him and lightly touches the less dark spots, feeling guilty for not noticing before,

“I’ll be fine,” he promises, tangling his fingers into Jongin’s.

“Kyungsoo? What are you doing here?!” his mum shrieks, brushing her hair away and covering her bare legs, “You’re not supposed to be here, what is going on!?”

Remarkably calmer than he was five minutes ago, Kyungsoo explains the importance of leaving now, while they can, and why he is bleeding. His mum listens with abject horror as Kyungsoo describes the dead wolf which is probably still lying in the road outside, and how now, even if the scout is dead, they’ll find them again with his scent trail. He was so very lucky he came when he did, and it’s going to be much safer if they both come with him.

His mum nods a few times, looking more and more unsteady with each sentence, and when Kyungsoo has finished, he leaves the room, lifting his phone up to his ear. Jongin presumes he’s calling his parents, to let them know he’s bringing two guests home. He watches him close the door to his room for privacy. Or maybe he’s giving him and his mum privacy to talk.

“Jongin,” his mother snaps his attention back to her, “are you sure this option is safer than staying here?” she urges. Jongin’s heart drops, because here she is again, doubting him. Why can’t she have just a little bit of faith in him? Has she actually believed a single thing he’s said without second guessing it? The answer is no, not since he lost his hand.

“Yes, absolutely positive. Kyungsoo’s is about the safest we place we could be right now, we’d be well protected,” he asserts, leaving no room –he hopes –for any more doubt.

“Ok, if you’re sure,” she slowly heaves herself out of bed, and goes towards her wardrobe, getting out a few shirts and pairs of jeans and laying them on the bed, “we’d better tell your dad not to come here for a while. Not that he ever visits anyway,” she gripes bitterly.

Kyungsoo comes back in as she’s folding them up even smaller, and wraps his arms around his waist, pulling him back into his chest,

“My dad’s coming with a car. He’ll be here in about quarter of an hour,” he says, sounding tired. Jongin turns around in his grip, needing to fully assess his injuries. He presses a little harder than he normally would on the centre of one of the bloodstains, and Kyungsoo hisses. Jongin apologises, and lifts the hem of his shirt up. The damage looks mostly superficial, from his extremely limited knowledge about this kind of thing.

“Are you sure you’re going to be ok? You don’t look ok,” werewolves don’t actually heal faster than humans, so this looks like it will take a long while to get better. Jongin feels guilty for putting him through this,

“I’ll protect you, don’t worry,” that’s not what he’d meant, “c’mon, let’s go sort out your clothes too,” he murmurs, leading him back to his room by the hand.

“Kyungsoo, you at least need to take care of this, put a bandage on it or something,” Jongin says, in one final push.

“I’ll do it at my house, stop worrying Jongin,” Kyungsoo smiles at him briefly to take the sting off his scolding, and points to the small pile of clothing lying on the bed, “if you want more than that, now would be a good time to sort it out,”

-

In the car, Jongin’s mum sits in the passenger seat, and Kyungsoo and Jongin in the back, Kyungsoo’s dad had frowned when he’d seen Kyungsoo’s ruined clothes, but otherwise made no reaction. He’d promised that the corpse of the wolf- luckily it was still a wolf, bodies stay in the form they die in, apparently- would be cleared up before anyone could see it.

He searches the surroundings for any signs of…well, anything. He’s beginning to get tired of this, always being scared. Rationally, he knows there’s every reason to be afraid, and that he shouldn’t blame himself, but naturally he can’t help but feel guilty. It’s still partially his fault these things are happening, to his mum at least- she’s an innocent bystander. And the Do’s having to constantly look after him, he’s a burden.

Kyungsoo sneaks his hand over to the middle seat, on top of Jongin’s, and holds it, the side of his hand with his thumb comfortingly. Jongin feels some of the stress seeping out of him, and he imagines it floating away in little clouds, left behind on the motorway. In their place, are more worries, different worries.

Jongin has had something on his mind for a while now, and recent situations have brought the dire need for him to bring it up. It’s about mating; if Kyungsoo bit him, then not only would they be connected forever, in a way Jongin only wishes he understood, but Kyungsoo would also receive like a power boost or something, right? Wasn’t that what Kyungsoo had told him the very first night he’d known about him? When they have more space to themselves, Jongin’s definitely going to say it. Not here though, not with two parental figures so close by.

Kyungsoo seems to have noticed something amiss in Jongin’s behaviour, and whispers his name to get his attention. He mouths the word ‘what’s wrong?’ a concerned crinkle in his brow. Jongin just shakes his head and looks out of the window, unwilling to say what’s on his mind with his mum and Kyungsoo’s dad so close by.

Actually, thinking about it, no matter where he is in Kyungsoo’s house, any of the wolves will be able to hear what he’s saying, even if they’re not consciously listening. He’ll need to warn his mum about that. 

------------

behold my attempted drawing *flourishes hands* it never looks good when i use the computer (id say photoshop but i dont have it -_-) 

anyway, also i have exam coursework etc to do and i alway say this but i need to actually DO IT im useless ok (ill still update, since most of the chapters are already written, but maybe less frequently)

comment please if you have time and inclination  ^_^ i love you guys, im seriously impressed that theres more than 100 of you