Thirty Seven

What Lurks

They eventually fell asleep on the sofa together, feeling ten years younger, like it was just another sleepover before things got crazy, and Jongin wakes up with his face pressed against Sehun’s stomach. His right arm is hanging over the side, knuckles brushing the floor, and overall he’s just uncomfortable. But he left a patch of drool on Sehun’s shirt, so the status quo is not lost.

He chuckles to himself as he sits up, wiping his mouth and looking around. It must be early, as it’s still dark outside but the morning light is just beginning to seep through the windows. Its casts strange light on the kitchen worktops and the fridge look forlorn without someone stood near it.

Leaving Sehun snoring quietly on the sofa, Jongin gets up and ambles up the two flights of stairs to his bedroom to get some clean clothes. On the way he checks his mum’s room, and finds her in her bed asleep as normal.

His limbs aren’t working right this early so it takes a few tries to get his head into the right hole. Once successfully dressed, he goes back down to the living room because he remembers that he left his phone down there and forgot to check it for messages. Specifically updates from Kyungsoo, but he’s willing for anybody to tell him what’s going on. The fact that he didn’t wake up next to Kyungsoo is enough of a worry for him to begin with, but that he can’t find his mother either is scary.

Somebody would’ve woken him up if something happened, right?

Sehun is still asleep, so he perches on the few inches of sofa he isn’t taking up with his prone body, and reaches for his phone. The first thing he notices is that it’s nearly run out of battery, and the second is that he has several un-viewed messages and a couple of missed calls. How could he have slept through that?

The calls are both from Kyungsoo, and so are three of the texts but one of them is from an unknown number. Upon opening it, he finds that it’s from Kyungsoo’s dad. He probably got the number from Kyungsoo’s phone or something. It reads:

We R going 2 the safhose as it is closr than hom and have minr casualties

Jongin rolls his eye before moving onto the other texts- there’s something about adults and texting that just doesn’t mix well. He moves onto the ones from Kyungsoo, which say pretty much the same thing but with better grammar, and more reassurances that he’s ok. At the end of the most recent one there’s even a heart, which makes him unable to repress a grin.

He gets up and walks out into the hallway, so he doesn’t disturb Sehun when he calls Kyungsoo. He can’t wake him up yet; for one thing he’d just be agonising loudly about Jadzia and he can’t be assed to deal with that yet.

He presses the phone up to his ear and waits for Kyungsoo to pick up. With each ringing sound Jongin becomes increasingly more nervous: although Kyungsoo said that he was fine, he’s not going to believe that until he hears his voice. It goes onto voicemail, and Jongin sighs, and frowns at his phone as if it were its fault he can’t speak to his mate.

Pocketing the phone, he heaves himself off the wall against which he’d been leaning and goes back to the living room, then finding nothing to do there, he heads to the kitchen to get something to eat. There’s not much cereal left, even though he’s the only one who really eats the stuff, but he pours out the remains into a bowl and grimaces at the dust that gushes out on the top.

Suddenly his phone is vibrating against his leg and blasting a pre-set ringtone into the silence. Jongin scrambles to answer it before he disturbs his best friend, abandoning his early breakfast,

“Hello?”

“Jongin?” Jongin relaxes his shoulders; he hadn’t even realising he’d been tense.

“Kyungsoo,” he sighs in affirmation,

“I’m sorry I didn’t pick up when you called, things are a little busy over here. Jackie- I can’t remember if you’ve met him or not- got his leg torn apart pretty bad and we’re trying to fix it together before it heals wrong,” the ambience changes from busy to silent. Jongin assumes he’s gone outside,

“No I don’t know him,”

“Oh, well, he’s going to survive anyway. He’ll have a limp though,” Jongin can see him twisting his mouth to the side in dissatisfaction at this, “apart from him everything else is minor injuries, scratches basically, so no need to worry about anything ok? And Jackie is going to be fine so-”

“Was Jadzia there?”

“Um. Uh, that’s a-“ he says something to someone, sounds like he’s telling someone who he’s talking to, “that’s a- uh delicate situation,” Kyungsoo stutters,

“How so?” he leans his hip against the countertop, glancing again to make sure Sehun’s still ok,

“Well we’ve got them to stop fighting for a while, but at the moment it’s like- a stalemate? I don’t…know. In a few minutes we’re going to go and have a conference thing, and discuss things with the leader. Who was actually on the battlefield, he and my dad faced off, it was very impressive. If it wasn’t life-threatening I’d say it ws good entertainment. Anyway, thanks to Jadzia –yeah, she is here, somewhere, I don’t…know where- we’re finally going to be able to negotiate directly!”

“That sounds dangerous? What if he suddenly turns on you? What if it’s a trap?”

“We’re meeting on equal terms, in the middle of the field, not to worry, honey,”

Please don’t call me that. Also, I don’t really get why Jadzia’s with you?”

“Neither do I, really. I guess it’s her way of rebelling, or, like, getting her dad’s attention or something. Either way I’m grateful. I dunno if he’d have agreed to this if she hadn’t,”

“Tell her I said thanks, then.” He laughs to himself, and remembers he has food ready to eat after his stomach growls. He opens the fridge to get the milk, and pours it into his bowl, watching as the crushed bit turn the milk chocolaty brown. Now he just needs a spoon. He looks around, and finds a hopefully clean one next to the sink,

“Jongin says thanks. Yeah. Mm, I think so; Jongin is Sehun there?”

“He’s asleep, I guess I could wake him up you want?” he suggests, shovelling his first spoonful into his mouth and humming. Kyungsoo repeats it back to her,

“Nah, she’ll be fine until later, but she says to tell Sehun she says ‘I love you’.”

“Oh ok.” He picks up his bowl and carries it to where Sehun is still not awake, and puts it on his lap,

“I swear we’re not that gross,” Kyungsoo hisses into the receiver, obviously trying to be secretive and not let Jadzia hear him,

“Whatever you say, honey,”

“ you, I’m going to hang up,”

“No, don’t, it’s lonely here. Sehun’s just snoring and nobody’s awake yet,”

“Yeah, my mum’s here now, so it’s just your mum there,”

“Oh, right,” Jongin takes another mouthful,

“What the are you eating? It’s, what, five AM,”

“Cereal,” to emphasise this, he clinks his teeth on the spoon,

“Nice.” Kyungsoo comments flatly, “look, I think you should just wake Sehun up, ‘cos I think I need to go – yeah, we’re going now,” there’s an influx of sound, maybe a door opening,

“Ok, good luck, and don’t get hurt. Love you,” just saying those words make butterflies erupt in his stomach,

“I promise. I’ll be fine. I love you too, Jongin. See you later,”

“Bye,” Kyungsoo hangs up on him, leaving Jongin feeling blank and dark. He finishes his food making as little noise as possible, afraid to sully the silence. Once he puts his bowl in the dishwasher, and sits back on the other couch.

All he can think about is the millions of things that could go wrong with this meeting. How many people could be hurt, killed in this confrontation. And both his and Sehun’s mates are in the firing line.

Now all he has to do is worry and wait until he hears from him again.

-

howdy citizens 

ok im gonna tell it to you straight: this is slowly becoming less and less frequently updated and im sorry but exams are my priority ( ≧Д≦)

but also here is my ask.fm where you can ask jongin/kyungsoo/anyone else questions, or i might do like drabbles on there too (sorry to keep throwing it in your faces but its actually really fun ^^)

my tumblr ( ˘ ³˘)❤

last but not least comment (。・ω・。)ノ i dont bite, im actually quite nice