The Arrangement

You, Me and our Baby?!

~~~~~

That day everyone was wearing black. Even the innocent Minsoo did. He didn’t know what was going on but for some reason he was crying a lot that day. No one could stop him, not even his aunt and uncle, which were the only family he had left.

Hongki was carrying him in his arm. Beside Hongki was Jiyeon carrying his milk on one hand and a rose on the other.

Minsoo finally stopped crying before the ceremony started. Every friend of his parents was there grieving at their lost. Hongki, Jiyeon and some other friends gave speeches. Though the shortest, Hongki’s and Jiyeon’s were the most heart-felt and meaningful among them.

When the coffins were being lowered down the earth, Minsoo started bawling again as if he knew that he won’t be seeing his parents ever again after this. Jiyeon tried to console the poor baby while she hid her tears from the others. Only Hongki saw this. He squeezed her shoulder. Though she couldn’t see his eyes behind his tainted glasses, she could feel that he must have tears on his eyes too.

After the funeral, Lee Jonghyun, Shinhye and Yonghwa’s lawyer, summoned Hongki and Jiyeon.

Hongki settled the poor guy on his crib at the living room of his parents’ house, as he played with the stuffed microphone Hongki has given to him in his first birthday—it felt like years ago.

As they sat around the dining table and looked around the place, they reminisce the days when it felt lively with Shinhye and Yonghwa in it.

“I know it’s hard for you to be talking about this the day of your siblings’ funeral, it’s hard for me too Yonghwa’s a good friend but we need to talk about this now, since it’s about their child,” Jonghyun said giving each Hongki and Jiyeon a pile of papers. “Those are the will of your brother and sister.”

“They have a will?” Hongki mused to himself as he and Jiyeon scanned the files.

“So let me explain the financial portion of their will first. Well you see, they have quite an investment for a four-year-old couple, that because Yonghwa is a lawyer while Shinhye is a doctor. This house is the first real state they have bought and they have named it after Minsoo. They also have a saving bank account for Minsoo that may only be accessed when he turned sixteen. Not to worry though since both Yonghwa and Shinhye have joint accounts with the both of you.”

“Wait what? You lost me there. How was that again?” Hongki scratched his red head.

“Idiot,” Jiyeon snapped at him. “He just told us that Yonghwa has a joint account with you and so as my sister with me.”

“Ya, watch your mouth geek!”

“Alright alright. let’s continue,” Jonghyun sighed. “The money they have left for the both of you when summed up can provide for the next ten years, which may only be possible if there are no unnecessary expenses. The money already includes Minsoo and your everyday needs and your college tuition fees. That brings us to the topic about Minsoo’s guardianship. When we talked about who would take care of their child in the unlikely event that they should both die, they named the both of you.”

“I’m sorry?” Jiyeon clarified at the same time as Hongki did, “Wait what?”

“Believe me, I advised them against it but they have made up their mind. Maybe because they didn’t imagine they would pass away in such an early and crucial time, especially that both of you are still studying.”

This time, both Hongki and Jiyeon were already gapping.

“Of course you can decline it BUT Minsoo will be put in the orphanage, I trust your siblings do not want that, that’s why they have a will. Well you know that aside from you two, Hongki’s uncle in Canada is the only family Minsoo has left. The problem is your uncle has been in prison for two years because of using and dealing drugs so that brings us back to the two of you. Think about it, this is your nephew. And your brother and sister has entrusted him to the two of you.”

“But even so, are we even qualified to be his guardian? Isn’t it that a guardian should be financially stable? Me and Hongki are just students,” Jiyeon interrupted.

“Yes that’s the problem with this. But we can fight his guardianship in court, IF the two of you of course agree to this. We can present many evidences to support that you two can be his legal guardian. But the judge will only grant you guardianship, IF you show him that you are responsible enough to take care of a child. Not many judges grunt guardianships to younger people like you, you know,” Jonghyun explained.

Hongki raised his hand, “How could we show him that we’re responsible enough?”

“Well if you agree of course, the filling of your case will take three months. That, because your case is a special one. Until the official trial, I will arrange your temporary guardianship for Minsoo. And during those two months, there will be people who will monitor how you have been doing.”

“But how are we supposed to take care of Minsoo? Jiyeon’s staying in a dormitory while I live in a really small crappy apartment.”

Jonghyun’s eyes brightened up a little, “So you’re saying that you agree to your brother and sister’s will?”

“We don’t have a choice don’t we?” Hongki shrugged.

“Yes, of course he’s my nephew,” Jiyeon simply said.

“Okay then, you should start by moving in this house,” the lawyer stood up and collected the files on the table.

Jiyeon and Hongki gapped.

“I’m sorry?”

“Wait what?” 

 

 


P.S. Sorry guys it'll probably take a while for me to update. Family matters. but please wait for me okay? *hugs you all* <3 i'll be back