Mother Knows Best

You, Me and our Baby?!

Jiyeon’s POV:

“What is it that you want Yoona? Spit it out?” I crossed my arms as I narrowed my eyes on my best friend.

“What are you talking about, Jiyeon?” she laughed awkwardly.

“I know you want something from me, so spit it out now,” I prodded tapping my foot impatiently.

 

EARLIER THAT DAY:

“BESTIE!” Yoona hopped out of nowhere as soon as I closed my locker.

I jerked up feeling as if my heart just jumped out of my chest,”Jezuss Christ! What’s wrong with you?!”

“Kekeke~ I just wanted to give you this,” she produced a chocolate bar from her bag and held it to me. I gawked, “That’s my—“

“Favorite chocolate,” she finished my sentence giddily. “I know, that’s why I bought it and giving it you.”

“Really?—do you need something?”

“Nope, I just want to make my best friend happy today,” she smiled and then hopped away like a bunny.

~~

I was in the library buried with books and notes when Yoona suddenly appeared in front of my sight smiling brightly like a girl—who desperately needs something from me.

“What is it? Just tell me what you need and disappear from my sight,” I said dryly as I propped my elbow on the desk and rested my chin between my fingers.

“Aigoo~ why would you say that? I just came in to give you this,” she tossed a cartoon of strawberry juice at me.

“And why would you give this to me?” I asked suspiciously.

“Because—because…ah! I thought you needed some strength to study,” she winked and walked away waving angelically.

Hmmm…something smells fishy.

~~

As soon as I was out of the water, Yoona immediately wrapped a towel around me and gave me something to drink. I gave her a strange look in which she ignored casually.

“Aigoo~ you’re really good at swimming, Yeon! You should try out for the swimming club or something!” she clapped in my face like a sea lion.

“Yoona, did you just hear what my time was? I was the slowest among my class you idiot. And what the hell are you doing here, aren’t you supposed to be in class?”

“Who cares about class when I can be here, cheering for my bestest friend of all time,” she blinked cutely.

I shook my head, seriously wanting to punch the girl right on the face. “Just tell me what you want already. You’re too obvious.”

“Aigoo~ why would you say that?” she laughed slightly hitting my arm. “I’ll get going then. Saranghae chingu~,” she sang making a heart above her head with her arms.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

 

“I know you want something from me, so spit it out now,” I prodded tapping my foot impatiently.

“I just wanted to give a strawberry cake, why would you say that?” Yoona pouted. “You’re hurting my feelings chingu-ya.”

“Aish,” I gritted my teeth in exasperation. “I will count one to three. If you don’t tell me and stop acting so freakishly kind, I won’t ever do that favor you’ve been working for so hard.”

“One…”

“Two…”

“T—“

“My-mom’s-visiting-me-for-the-weekend-but-neither-of-us-have-the-money-to-rent-a-hotel-and-you-know-we-can’t-let-relatives-in-the-dorm-so-I-want-to-ask-you-a-favor-to-let-her-stay-in-your-house-just-for-the-weekend,” she jabbered.

I stared at her blankly blinking twice, “What? You just practically rapped your sentence out. I didn’t even understand a thing.”

She sighed hesitating for a moment, “My mom’s visiting and she doesn’t have anywhere else to stay so I’m asking you a favor to let her stay in your house just for this weekend. Please? Jiyeon?! PUHLEASE?!” she clung onto my arm desperately. “Please? Please?”

“Jeesuz, you’ve done all of this just for that?”

She nodded.

“You silly girl, your mom’s like a second mom to me and my sister, why wouldn’t I agree on making her stay in the house?”

“Really? You’re really going to make her stay in your house?” Yoona’s eyes brightened up.

“Of course.”

“Yay! I knew you’re the bestest best friend ever!” she hugged me tightly.

“Cut the crap, Yoona.”

“Alright. Kekeke~”

 


“Auntie are you sure it’s alright for me to go and leave you alone with Minsoo, because it’s okay if I stay you know,” I conferred with Yoona’s mom tipping her off that I’m the type of person that stays home rather than go out at night, especially to attend a gig. But the woman, didn’t even take the hint. -_-“

“It’s okay you can go, Jiyeon, it’s not really big of a deal. You youngster go enjoy yourselves,” she smiled reassuringly.

“Yay, thanks mom. You’re the best,” Yoona jumped excitedly as she dragged me to the door. “Don’t wait up for us, we’re probably going to be late! Bye!”

“Don’t drink too much you two,” her mother reminded as we exited the house.

“How can she act like that?” I mused in confusion as we hauled a cab.

“What do you mean?” Yoona asked before telling the driver our destination.

“First, she didn’t took a hint that I don’t wanna go with you and second, she strangely acts cool about you going out late at night.”

“Yeah well, as long as I don’t get pregnant early, she’s alright,” she answered with complacency.

I shook my head and sighed. “I seriously don’t want to go you know. I hate loud music and crowds.”

“And you ask me why you don’t have a social life,” she rolled her eyes.

“Ya! I’m not complaining about my social life. I like it peaceful this way,” I defended. “Why did you drag me with you anyway? I don’t want to be a third wheel with you and Jaejin.”

“You won’t be! The other’s will be there, and I don’t want to be alone in the crowd without anyone to talk to! Good thing my mom visited so I could drag you out with me without thinking about Minsoo. I knew my mom always knows best!” she grinned from ear to ear.

“Fine, but I’ll go home after they perform okay?”

“Okay!”

“Where is their gig again?”

“At Dangsan Square. It’s an open concert so you don’t have to worry about your eardrums bursting to pieces,” she assured.

 


I could only gawk as I watched Minhwan, Seunghyun, Jaejin, Jonghun and Hongki rock out the stage with their originally composed songs (wow I never knew they wrote their own songs!). The crowd was wild; I mean extremely wild I felt so out of place. Even Yoona was screaming Jaejin’s name like a crazy woman. Take note, it wasn’t just Jaejin but Jaejin-OPPA. This girl seriously has some severe mental issue.

Normally, my eyes would always find Jonghun first but this time, Hongki was the first to catch my attention. Not only because of his silver-hair shining bright under the stage lights and not only because of the skeleton hand wrapped around his microphone, but because—he was Hongki. Wait—what am I even saying?!

I tried diverting my eyes to Jonghun, who was rocking out his electric guitar ily, but I found myself looking back at Hongki, who was jumping up and down like a hyperactive crazy frog. There’s something seriously wrong with me. Why am I watching the frog again while I ignore the y Greek god?!

“OMG! JAEJIN-OPPA! JAEJIN-OPPA! LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!” Yoona continued to scream like a fangirl. Geez, I thought she said I don’t have to worry about my eardrums bursting into smithereens.

She waved violently at the bassist as soon as his eyes landed on her. He smiled back waving too, that’s when Hongki finally caught sight of me. He did a double take before rubbing his eyes to make sure I was really there. What an idiot.

After finishing off with a slow rock song, the boys finally went down. Since Yoona was eager to see Jaejin to compliment how awesome he was on stage, she dragged me to meet them backstage. “JAEJIN!” she called out as soon as we saw the man she was looking for.

“Noona,” the boy greeted with a refreshing grin as he approached us. He didn’t even took a second to look at me. Tch, this kid.

“You we’re awesome back there,” my best friend smiled proudly at him. Jaejin rubbed the back of his neck shyly as he said thanks. Here they go again, ignoring me as if I wasn’t even there. Talk about being a third wheel. 

I was about to sneak out as the two slipped in their own world of flowers and hearts when I saw Hongki heading our way like a bull.

“YA!” he pointed at me as if I just committed a murder. “What are y—Hey! What’s with your clothes?”

I looked down at what I was wearing, a beige sleeveless and a pair of jeans and doll shoes. “Why? What’s wrong with my outfit?”

“Didn’t you have a topper?” he scowled, clearly not amused of what he was seeing.

“Huh?” I blinked at him confused. “Yeah, but I took off my cardigan earlier since being in the crowd with those sweaty people jumping up and down made me feel like I was burning in hell.”

“Then where is it?”

“I put it in Yoona’s bag—wait,” I paused looking around for my best friend. “Where is she?” Don’t tell me…

“She took off with Jaejin already,” Jonghun finished my thoughts as he approached us. Following behind him were Minhwan and Seunghyun, who waved cheerfully and greeted me, “HI NOONA!”

I was about say my greeting when a skull-printed white scarf flew right into my face. “YA! What the—”

“Cover up, you’re surrounded with teenage boys with raging hormones.”

Huh? I blinked at Hongki twice holding his scarf.

Huuuuuuuhhh?!

“Aish,” he hissed in frustrated snatching the scarf from my hand. I held onto my dear breath, completely stunned at what he did next. He freaking fixed the scarf around my neck himself! Akajsdhkfhaksdjhf! Why is it so hot in here?!

“Ooooohhhh~,” I heard Minhwan and Seunghyun teased.

“Hey noona, did you know that the first thing Hongki-hyung sees in a woman is her chest? Yet lately I remember him saying, that if he had a serious girlfriend, he doesn’t like her wearing revealing clothes and showing off her skin around that area,” Seunghyun said.

“WHAT?! YA! DO YOU WANNA DIE RIGHT NOW?!” Hongki thundered with his eyes popping out as he charged at Seunghyun ready to beat the daylights out of him. But the kid was fast enough to run for his life.

Minhwan and Jonghun were laughing their asses off as Hongki continued to chase and curse after the second maknae.

What did Seunghyun mean by that?

“Hey, Jiyeon, you okay?” Jonghun asked afterwards, awakening me from my trance.

“Oh! Yeah! of course,” I answered still trying to held onto my bearings. Jonghun gave me a concern look. I smiled at him in reassurance, “I’m alright.”

Wait—did I just have a conversation with Jonghun without me blushing? Whoa! What is happening to the world?!

“Noona, we’re having dinner nearby, do you wanna come with us?” Minhwan interrupted but before I could answer, Hongki appeared by my side catching his breath. “YA! I almost forgot. Who’s taking care of Minsoo anyway? Is he alone right now?! Why did you leave him?! What kind of parent are you?!”

“YA!” I clamored at once. “I didn’t leave him alone! Yoona’s mom is taking care of him! What do you mean what kind of parent I am?!”

“I mean what kind of parent leaves her child alone with a stranger!”

“She’s not a stranger! She’s like a mother to me! I’ve known her since I was a toddler!”

“Oh yeah, so you think you’re free to run around just because she’s taking care of Minsoo?”

“Hah! I can’t believe this! Compared to you, this is the first time I went out at night ever since! You’re even worse than me!”

“M—me?! Worse?! Ya! At least I make money out of this!”

“Okaaayyy~ let’s go Minhwan. I guess they’re not coming to dinner with us,” I heard Jonghun concluded as they silently slip away with Minhwan while the jerk and I continued to bicker.