Alone Tonight

You, Me and our Baby?!

Jiyeon’s POV:

I was in the middle of taking an exam when I felt my phone vibrate. I tried to ignore it as much as I can but it kept vibrating…and vibrating…and vibrating.

I was about to turn it off but halted when I saw who was calling. It was the nursery.

Trying to evade the bad thoughts prying into my mind as soon as I read the caller’s ID, I finished the last fifty unanswered questions on my paper for less than five minutes.

I was practically running for the door after handing my test paper to my professor, dialing the nursery on the process.

“Uhmm, hello.”

“Oh thank god you called back,” the woman on the other line, said with a sigh of relief. “I tried calling Mr. Lee but he wasn’t answering.”

“Why? What’s the matter? Did something happen to Minsoo?”

I couldn’t even hear my own voice because of the loud and fast pumping of my heart. Please, let him be safe. Please, let him be safe. I don’t know what will I do if something bad happened to him.

But like a grace falling directly from god’s hand, the woman answered, “Oh no, ma’am. It’s just that it’s ten minutes to seven but no one has picked him up yet.”

“Oh, yes of course,” I took an ounce of air of relief. “I’m sorry. I’ll be there. Can you wait up for like fifteen minutes? Please?”

“No problem, ma’am.”

“Thank you.”

 

 

It was exactly seven when I finally reached the place. After thanking the woman multiple times, I finally hop into a cab with Minsoo. He was sleeping when I got there and was still sleeping when I whirled him to the cab.

On our way home, I finally got to clear my mind out of worry. That’s when I remembered Hongki.

Being the worry-wart I am, I dialed his number to check up on him. As much as I know, that he had his doubts after the talk we had with Ms. Park, I’m sure he’s not that irresponsible to actually forget about picking up Minsoo.

That’s where I went wrong.

Outside the window of our cab, on the street walking with a girl clinging on his arm was none other than the great bastard himself.

The driver hit the break as soon as I told him to. I checked up on Minsoo, who was still sleeping soundly, before stepping out of the car. It wasn’t long when I spotted the couple, who were about to enter a coffee shop.

“Ya Lee Hongki!”

The instant he heard his name, he spun around uncontrollably that if it were not for the girl clinging on him, he must have fallen face first on the ground. I went up to them briskly.

“What the hell,” I paused as the smell of alcohol immediately welcomed me. “You’re drunk?”

Hongki hiccupped, “Yeah, a little.”

“You’re unbelievable. Do you know what time is it?”

“I don’t know. Why don’t you look at your watch?” he shrugged coolly making the girl beside him giggle.

I narrowed my eyes on the girl and then to the drunkard beside her, “You think it’s funny?”

“Yeah, it is funny,” he answered carelessly.

I in an ounce of air before crossing my arms, “Yeah it is funny because it’s a ing Tuesday and it was your schedule to pick up Minsoo in the ing nursery.”

He’s nonchalant expression suddenly turned to realization.

“Yeah that’s what I thought. You forgot,” I shook my head pathetically at him.

“Wait,” the unnamed girl beside Hongki held her palms up. “What are you two talking about? Who is she, baby? Is she your other girlfriend?! And who the hell is Minsoo?”

“Yeah it kinda slipped out of my mind, I’m sorry,” he said ruefully ignoring the girl’s outburst. “Let’s talk about this at home alright?”

“What? wait! What home?!” the girl took her arm from Hongki’s and got between us, wanting so badly not to get ignored the second time. “Honey, what are you talking about?! Who is this gir—“

“Oh, shut up!” I shut her off not wanting anymore of her petty remarks. “This guy you call baby or honey or mustard is the father of that child in that cab. So I advise you to shut that hole in your face and get the out of our sight!”

The girl was surely taken aback. Here I am looking like I couldn’t hurt a bug, sprouting words I couldn’t imagine springing out of my mouth.

But what happened next wasn’t what I was expecting. Tears were slowly forming on her eyes and when she spun to face Hongki, she slapped him right on the face. I gasped.

Without another word, the girl ran away sobbing.

I knew I was still angry with Hongki but without realizing, I was reaching for his arm asking if he was okay.

But he immediately pulled away. And when our eyes lock, I could read the anger in his. What I heard next wasn’t what I expected the most. “You and I both know that he is not my son. He will never be my son. I don’t even want to be his guardian anymore!”

My heart tightened at his words. I didn’t know tears were already streaming down my face before I actually spoke with a quivering voice I can’t recognize, “Do you really mean that?”

He didn’t answer. He just continued looking away.

I shook my head unbelieving. Wiping my tears away with the back of my hand, I scoffed, “I get it. I get it. You’re running away. After realizing that your dream is at stake and that your life will not be easy, you just don’t want anything to do with this guardianship thing anymore. But hey, didn’t you think about me as well? My whole life is at stake too. As boring as you think it is, I am actually sacrificing half of my life just to take care of Minsoo, my nephew and the most precious thing my beloved sister left for me in this world. So I’m not going to give up on Minsoo, even if it took me fifty years to fulfill my dream. I will win his guardianship…with or without you.”

And with that, I walked away. But before I could reach the cab, I looked over my shoulder, “Well I hope you become a famous singer then, you irresponsible selfish jerk.”

 

 

After tucking in Minsoo in his crib, I went down to the kitchen to pour myself a glass of milk. There were still left overs of the cookies I made last time, so I carried it to the living area with the milk.

Hongki actually help me with the cookies. Believe it or not, we’ve done it without arguing. Thanks to the Ms. Park’s pep-talk about the future.

The future.

Thinking about the future just makes me sigh. It is scary as hell.

It wasn’t long after reviewing on the couch when I drifted off to sleep.

I woke up at 2:45 when the book resting on my stomach fell off making a soft thud as it landed on the carpet.

I peeped outside the window checking if Hongki was home but I saw no black faminliar motorcycle parked on the side of the road.

I went to check his room but saw no one.

When I sunk into my bed, I found myself staring at the ceiling for a long time.

This is it huh? I really am alone now. He really left me.

Partners huh?

A sad smile crossed my face and when I shifted my body to one side, a single tear escaped my eye.