Unannounced Visit

You, Me and our Baby?!

Jiyeon’s POV:

“You?”

I scoffed. Is he kidding? I thought he didn’t wanna help me?

“What? Between Jonghun and me, I actually dated more girls. Besides, you need someone to practice with who almost has the same level as Jonghun so you’d know how to make conversations with him. I think I’m in even higher level than him so you’d have more experience than expected,” Hongki explained oh so confidently I thought I was gonna puke. I didn’t even know how to respond to that, all I did was to stare at him in awe.

“And I’m only doing this out of pity okay?” he added.

“Excuse me?” I retorted, my pride escalating in no time. “I don’t need pity, especially when it comes to you. I don’t need a tutorial date, especially when it’s with you. And I especially don’t need you when it comes to arranging a date with Jonghun. I can do it by myself if I wanted to, but I know better than that. I wouldn’t take a step forward until I know what the guy thinks of me first. I don’t go around confessing to the guys I like since the day that you practically shoved my confession down my throat. I know Jonghun is different from you but I,” I paused looking away instantaneously when I noticed the change in Hongki’s expression. “Nevermind.”

Oh , that wasn’t supposed to slip out of my tongue. I wasn’t even thinking about it until now. Or was it always lingering at the back of my mind whenever I see him?

Come to think of it, isn’t it funny that I am now raising a child with first guy that ever stomped on my heart until it practically turned to ash. But I’ve already moved on, so why am I talking about it now?

Saving me from further awkward questions, the cab finally came. I immediately grabbed Minsoo’s stroller and reeled it to the cab without looking back at Hongki.

After I finished buckling Minsoo on the backseat, I stool a glance at Hongki, who was supposed to be loading the groceries in the trunk. But he wasn’t there, so instinct told me to whirl around to find him. Just as soon as I did, a blur of black and white stripped dashed pass me. And before I knew it, I saw Hongki helping an old woman, about sixties, on her feet.

As he helped her pick up the groceries on the ground, a sudden flash of recognition crossed my mind. The picture was almost the same. For some reason, I thought I was looking at the thirteen-year-old Hongki again.

I still remember it clearly, how he helped an old woman on her feet and pick up her groceries just like now. That was like the time when I started to like him. That was kinda like the reason why it turned to love (well with the exception of his looks and voice of course), that unlike those typical good-looking jerks you often see, he has a helpful and good side too.

It’s nice to see that he still has that side in him after all the years of being an award winning —but I won’t fall for that again…I know better now.

I hope.

 

 

~~~~~

Jiyeon was just pouring a bag of flour into a big stainless bowl when Hongki absentmindedly moseyed to the fridge with Minsoo in one arm. He pulled out a bottle of beer and opened the cap easily with his teeth.

“Oh what do we have here?” he smiled looking almost amused as he turned to Jiyeon. When Jiyeon looked up, a picture of Hongki and Minsoo drinking on their bottle of beer and milk respectively, welcomed her.

“Where’d you get that?” she eyed the beer suspiciously.

“The fridge. I sneaked it in the grocery cart while you weren’t looking,” Hongki grinned proudly.

“Ya! Didn’t I tell y—“

“Yeah yeah I know, Yonghwa hyung and Shinhey noona don’t allow liquor in the house because of Minsoo. You’ve already told me that like a million of times. And like I told you millions of times too, I don’t see beer as a liquor. It feels like a beverage to me. It doesn’t affect me anymore—well except when I have like twelve or something. But anyway, let’s just leave that topic okay?” at the last statement he blinked his eyes multiple times smiling cutely.

“Fine but I’m watching you,” Jiyeon pointed two of her fingers to her eyes and then at Hongki.

In return, he laughed and set Minsoo on the high chair. He dragged the chair just in front of the counter and then grabbed a barstool, placing it beside Minsoo’s. They were both facing Jiyeon, who now looked confused as she watched Hongki on the other side of the counter.

“What exactly are you trying to pull?” Jiyeon muttered.

“Watching how you fail at baking.”

Jiyeon fake laugh as she put salt and baking soda on the bowl of flour, “Very funny. Now, go watch some tv or something. The last thing I need is a distraction.”

“Oh so you’re finally admitting you’re distracted by my handsomeness,” Hongki playfully smiled while wriggling his brows.

“Ugh, whatever. Suit yourself,” Jiyeon dismissed as she proceeded on sieving the flour on another smaller bowl.

“Soooo what are you burning—ehem I mean baking?”

Jiyeon rolled eyes, “Cookies. Now shut up.”

“Wow, seriously? I thought you’re not a kitchen person?”

“Well yeah I’m not. But as much as I at cooking, I’m good at making cookies—just cookies, don’t expect too much. Of all the things my mom taught me to bake, this was the only thing I can remember so yeah—wait, why am I explaining to you again?”

Hongki shrugged carelessly, “I dunno because I’m handsome and you love me?”

“Lee Hongki,” Jiyeon started softly, “if you don’t have anything good to say, just shut your hole.”

Hongki snickered and let out a groan, “You’re y when you’re mean. It’s .”

“Ugh I give up,” Jiyeon threw her hands up while the other guffawed.

“Seriously though,” Hongki said afterwards while Jiyeon had her back on him preheating the oven. “Let me help you with the baking,” he said moving to the kitchen and grabbing the bowl of flour on the counter. But he came abruptly and too close so that as soon as Jiyeon whirled around she bumped her head to the bowl. Simultaneously the bowl slipped out of his grip blowing the flour all over the place including Jiyeon’s face. “Oops,” he let out a shaky laugh.

Jiyeon’s wild eyes glared at him as if trying to bore a hole in the other’s skull.

Hongki tried to smile and then crouched down to grab a handful of flour on the floor, only to throw it on his face. “E-even now?”

But it seemed to aggravate the girl even more because of the sudden appearance of the infamous vein on her forehead.

“GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE!!!”

In an instant, the man was out of the kitchen carrying Minsoo with him before he find himself being eaten alive. Remind me not to interrupt her when she’s making cookies ever again, he thought to himself. He was already in the living room when he heard the doorbell rang. He put down Minsoo in his crib and answered the door.

In front of their doorstep was a woman of thirties dressed formally in a monochrome dress suit.

“Hi,” Hongki greeted unsure.

“Hi,” she smiled.

“Uhmmm sorry but we’re not expecting anyone. May I know who you are?” he cocked his head sideways. Flour fell from his hair, which made the woman furrow her neatly plucked eyebrows.

“Good, you’re not supposed to expect my visit. I’m Park Hyewon, from the social service. You probably heard about the surprise visits were commencing before the trial for the guardianship of—“

“Oh! Yes, yes of course. Uhmmm wait a second here, I’ll be right back,” before the woman could even say a word Hongki shut the door close. When he turned around Jiyeon was just emerging from the dining area with streaks of flour on her hair and on her face.

“Who is it?” she asked still clearly irritated of the earlier rendezvous.

“It’s the social service! The one who’s supposed to check on us before the trial!”

Jiyeon’s eyes turned into saucers, “And you shut the door in the person's face?!”

“I—well… I wasn’t ready y—“

“Oh god! You idiot!”

She was about to get the door when Hongki pulled her back, “Wait you still have flour on you.” Jiyeon held her breath as his hand stretch to carefully dust off the whites on her hair. When his fingers brushed her cheeks, the temperature around them skyrocketed to the boiling point.

“You’re blushing,” the side of Hongki’s lips twitch up.

“Oh shut up!” she pushed him away with the little strength she had and darted to the door. She could hear Hongki snickering behind her as she opened the door.

 

 

After a couple of casual conversation (mostly initiated by Hongki, the suddenly Mr. Nice Guy of the day), Ms. Park from the social service pulled out her notepad and cleared . “So Hongki and Jiyeon, what do you see yourself in ten years from now?”

“Lady’s first,” Hongki nodded at Jiyeon, who was seated beside her on the couch. They were both sitting opposite the older woman.

“Well,” Jiyeon paused and took a breath. “Hopefully I’ll be a physician by then, working on a private clinic or a neurologist in Seoul Hospital.”

Ms. Park nodded and took a note while Hongki whistled.

“What about you, Hongki-ssi?”

“Well unlike, Ms. Braniac here, I’m all for skills. I am a great singer. I can act too. And I have the looks. So, famous singer or—famous singer actor I guess.”

Ms. Park was again void of emotion as she took notes.

Jiyeon was busy rolling her eyes at the cocky narcissist beside her when the older woman cleared again, “Uhmmm, so Jiyeon, are you having a hard time on adjusting your study habits with your predicament right now?”

“Yes, kinda but since it has been just less than two weeks; I guess that’s normal. It’s our adjusting phase if you may say. But that’s already been fixed because we have schedules of who is in-charge of this and that.”

“Yeah, you wanna see our schedules?” Hongki was about to stand up when Ms. Park waved her hand and smiled, “No, it’s okay. What about you, Hongki? What about your studies, is it affected?”

“Well, you see, I don’t…really…study…that hard. I have an excuse though, like I said, I’m all for skills.”

Jiyeon furrowed her eyebrows on him, “What’s the use of your skills when you don’t use your brain? Do you even know how to read notes?”

Hongki widened his eyes feeling offended, “Hey, I actually take music seriously. I just don’t study for English or Math or other useless crap you study.”

“Okay, okay,” Ms. Park cut in easing the tension between the two. “Let’s get on with next question. So do you think you could still take care of Minsoo while fulfilling those plans? I mean you, Jiyeon, you need to eventually cut down your units to take care of Minsoo which means you will be delayed for I don’t know one or two years. There will 24 –hour duties in the hospital for your internship too. And you know studying will get even harder as you push through. And Hongki, you know that to fulfill your dream of becoming a singer, you need to eventually find a company. Move to a dorm and train. Life will get harder for the both of you. I’m not discouraging you, I’m just laying the facts here. So I’m asking you again, do you think you could still take care of Minsoo while fulfilling those plans?”

Hongki and Jiyeon exchange uneasy looks. Of course, they had their doubts of the predicament they were facing. But now that Ms. Park drew a rough picture of what they may face in the future, they doubted if they really wanted all of it.

 

 

 


P.S. Sorry if the chapter wasn't what you expected (all because of my unnecessary cliffhanger last chapter). ^^v  i love you guys keke