The Tragic Start

You, Me and our Baby?!

A MONTH LATER.

Jiyeon’s POV:

The wall clock hanging in front of the room read 6:46. Fourteen minutes before our evening lecture was over. For some reason I fell heavy today, maybe I’m coming with a cold or something, after all its winter. Cold weather and I just don’t get along too well. I looked out of the window drifting my mind away from the homily-like lecture. I tell you, Mr. Seo’s voice is a lullaby to the ears; it struck every sleepy string in you. By the way, I’m in my pre-med—not that it’s important right now.

Well anyway, I think there’s a storm coming. The wind outside blew as if it were angry at us, maybe it’s how God shows his wrath for destroying mother earth. The pile of snow on yard was even thicker compared when I first entered this class—which was just two hours ago. Boy, two hours and it feels like years already. Yes, I’m one of the top students, but hey I’m a human being too, I get bored sometimes. 

I spent the last remaining minutes looking out the window. Finally, the bell rang. Students started vacating the room. I was about to stand up when my phone vibrated on my jacket’s pocket.

It was an unknown number. Normally, I don’t answer unknown calls but I didn’t know what gotten into me when I pressed the accept button. “Hello?”

“Hello is this Kwon Shinhye’s sister, Jiyeon?”

“Yes? Who is this?” my brows knitted.

“This is the police department. You sister and her husband were in a car accident…”

My breathing became shallow and slow as I listened to the police officer. It felt like an invisible force was squeezing my heart—as if it were draining every ounce of my blood. It I weren’t sitting, I must have collapsed on the floor right there and then.

My sister…

 

 

I paid the cab driver and rushed furiously to the entrance of the bureau. I wasn’t wearing my gloves but I couldn’t feel the coldness of the snow. In fact, I couldn’t feel anything at all. I felt numb. The news has not still sunk in me. There must be some kind of a mistake.

“Hongki,” his name flew out of my mouth involuntarily. He was already there, talking to a police officer, back facing me.

When he turned around, redness and tears were evident in his eyes. When the officer left his side, he shook his head to me. His knuckles turning white as his both hands formed into fists.

“They didn’t make it,” the words almost didn’t come out from him.

The numb feeling was gone. Suddenly all emotions came crushing down on me like a thousand weight. “No,” I choked. I feel like I’m suffocating. I can’t breathe. “No.”

Hongki looked away his eyes mirrored his emotions. The same emotion as I was feeling.

“W—what about Minsoo?!”

“They were on their way on picking him from the nursery. He must still be there.”

Somehow, knowing the Minsoo was safe took some of the heavy weight off my shoulder but that didn’t erase the fact that my sister—my only family…was gone. Hongki must be feeling the same way. They were the only family we had and now…they were gone…forever.

It was like my parent’s death all over again.

I can’t breathe.

My knees were about to give up but in my surprise a pair of warm hands held me and wrapped around my body. It was Hongki. He was holding me. I hadn’t notice but tears were silently streaming down my face and they soaked his sleeves. I could feel the quivering of his jaw on top of my head. He was crying.

Feeling his silent sobs made it for me. I wrapped my arms around his waist and bawled as I did when my parents died ten years ago.

 

 

“Your hands are cold, here I bought you a hot choco,” Hongki handed me a cup from the vending machine as he sat down beside me. We were still at the police office.

I thanked him and accepted the beverage that immediately warmed my freezing hands.

“When could we get Minsoo?” I almost whispered.

“The nursery said we could get him tomorrow. Don’t worry he’s in good hands. That’s the best nursery in Seoul, that’s what Yonghwa-hyung told me,” Hongki assured.

“Why can’t we get him now?”

“Nursery policy. We can’t get him after seven.”

There was a silence. Normally there was never been a peace and silence between the two of us. But tonight, it was different.

“We should get home. Let’s stay in my apartment tonight so in the morning we could immediately go for him when the nursery calls,” Hongki said. I didn’t argue. My mind shut off. I couldn’t make any choices right now.

Outside, he handed me a white helmet not the same as that the first time I rode on his motorcycle. This time it had windshield. But just like before, he fixed it for me not because I didn’t know how to but because my hands were limp and useless. He was gentle and didn’t say anything playful or erted as he did so unlike before.

“Wrap your arms around me tightly and staff your hands inside my coat’s pocket. I don’t have extra gloves sorry,” he said before starting the bike.

I did what I was told not giving effort to process what’s going on. My head rested on his back the whole ride. Now, the snow wasn’t strong but the wind was or maybe it’s just because we were speeding on a motorcycle.

It wasn’t long after we finally reached his apartment, which wasn’t an expensive looking but was pretty descent. We were silent until we reached his flat.

“Are you hungry? Do you want anything?” he asked throwing his keys on the bowl beside the door. He started the heater and took off his gloves and coat.

“No I’m alright,” I shook my head lethargically taking off my jacket as well.

“Alright then. You can take my room. I’ll take the couch,” he said dismissively throwing his body on the couch.

“Are you sure?” I asked unsure. This is really abnormal. He’s not the Hongki I knew. But I guess, he’s just acting in accordance to the events.

“Yep, just go take a rest,” he rested an arm over his eyes. There were two doors on my right. I stood there for a while deciding where must be his room. It was my first time in his place. In fact, it was my first time spending a night in a guy’s apartment—but not that it matters right now. I took the first one but it was the bathroom. Alright, the second it is.

As I entered his room, I was immediately welcomed by his smell, the just right sweetness of pine mixed with soapy and baby powdery smell. I didn’t turn on the lights but the light from the post outside illuminated the place. It was tidy—not the image I was expecting in my head.

I climbed up on his bed, his smell lingering on the sheets. Normally, I would’ve choose to drink a poison over spending a second with him. But tonight, he turned out to be a great help. I owe him that.

Lying on his bed, curled up into a ball, my mind wandered on what just happened. My sister. Her husband. And what will happen to their son. Thinking about my sister again, tears fell for the second time that evening.