I Never Knew It Would Hurt This Much

I Fell in Love with My Best Friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kris didn’t come home until I fell asleep that night. I was about to ask him, but I knew better. He was most likely taking care of the “victim.” Moreover, his body language and hurtful glares told me that he wanted nothing to do with me anymore.

“Good morning, Kris,” I timidly greeted when I sat down at the table for breakfast.

He looked up at me for a moment and got up to wash his dishes. I saw something different in his eyes. Was it annoyance? No, it was disappointment.

He was disappointed at me for my rash actions. He was disappointed at me for taking revenge. He was disappointed at me for hurting his new, defenseless, innocent best friend.

While I was trying to mend the invisible cracks in our relationship, I was actually only pushing us further from each other.

But what did I do wrong? I was only trying to stand up for myself against Xinyi.

But, of course, he didn’t see that. He only saw me blindly accuse Xinyi for something that he thinks she was innocent for and me deliberately hitting her face with a volleyball. He simply refused to believe a word I said.

Maybe coming to China was a wrong choice afterall. Perhaps if we never came here we would still be the same old best friends.

Nonetheless, what was done was done. I couldn’t fix our friendship. Heck, at this point, I didn’t even want to anymore.

If Kris wanted nothing to do with me, I could care less, honestly. At school, he avoided me - completely. At first, after my declaration of “caring less,” I acted unaffected, but as the classes went by, it started having a toll on me.

I had to admit, I was hurt. For the past weeks, I was avoiding and ignoring him, so I didn’t see his actions toward me. But now that I saw it perfectly lucid and clear, it hurt me. A year ago we were laughing and joking over every little detail of our lived. A year later we were here, refusing to even acknowledge each other’s presence.

I tried everything to distract myself from trying to break the wall of tension with Kris. I tried so desperately that I noticed Xinyi’s absence from school. Did I really hurt her that badly?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter