Author's Note

The Time Keeper

So I have decided to further explain where I got this idea for the story. Since I am an English major, we have to create a paper regarding an important theme or aspect of our lives. I created this story as the basis of my real paper. I decided to go with time as my theme. The story might not have gone the way I would have wanted but I did my best as well. I was going to end up killing someone most notably, Kai or Ji Hyun but I decided not to. I felt that ending would not have suited the overall theme of the story. I'm kind of upset at having ended this story since it has become dear to me. This story had a lot of meaning about life and happiness. The different ways someone can love and be loved. It explores human nature as well and the effects death has on us. As the last sentence states, Time goes on and will never end. We just have to make the best of what we have.

Character Analysis:

Song Ji Hyun

She is a young girl who is carefree and gentle. The way she is portayed is someone who doesn't really understand the hardships of life as well the emotions of people. Ji Hyun is a girl who soon develops, mentally and emotionally. I created her as someone who is still child-like but very wise ahead of her years. She understand the way society works but refuses to abide by them. Take her relationship with Baekhyun for example. She is rich and of high class yet she still saw Baekhyun as an equal. Ji Hyun doesn't care much for the material things people have but rather who they are as a person. She developed a sense of understanding about relationships such as the difference between love and loyalty. Many people would have stuck with Kai since he was someone she grew up with and loved. Yet she took it further and realized what love truly means. Her relationship with Baekhyun shows that people can be loved regardless of what they have. Love isn't defined by what people bring to the table but rather what they bring to you as a person. And besides, who doesn't love a spunky girl as the main?

Byun Baekhyun

I tried to create Baekhyun as someone who once had a lot of hope for the future but slowly ended losing it. Baekhyun is the opposite of Ji Hyun. He is someone who had to strive hard to make ends meet. He didn't have the same luxuries as Ji Hyun but seemed happy with who he was. His relationship with Chanyeol and Kris showed how he was someone who appreciates having people around him but is fearful of being left behind. This is shown when he struggles to push Ji Hyun away from him. Baekhyun refused to have someone who he believed was above him. He would rather push someone away than to risk the chance of being left behind. Baekhyun begins to change once he meets Ji Hyun, slowly opening up and inviting her in. He discovers that he can live his life the way he wants to. Ji Hyun allowed him to break through social standards. It allowed him to forget about what he didn't have but rather what he could give.

Kim Jong In (Kai)

Kai represented someone from the past who you can't help but stick by. He is a reliable friend who protects the people he loves. I was torn between making him into the evil second lead when I realized it would be too cliché. I thought it would be best for him to be mature and understanding rather than someone who was spoiled. Kai was crucial to the story since he was someone that was loved in a different way. His love for Ji Hyun was true. Kai was the soulmate to Ji Hyun unlike Baekhyun. He is someone who would have brought out the best out of her but he would also hold her back. If Ji Hyun had decided to stay with Kai, she wouldn't have evolved the way she did. Kai was someone who believed that if you truly love someone, you should let go. He shows that there are different ways of loving a person. I read a really nice quote that was my inspiration for Kai, "People think it's holding on that makes you stronger, but sometime's it's letting go."

Kim Joon Myeon (Suho)

Suho is the character most precious to me since he is based off of me. He is someone who once was happy but it was torn away from him. The reality of the world made him cynical. In the first chapter, it mentioned how it had become a game for him to see how and when people died. Suho had locked away his emotions and focused on the task at hand: choosing the fate of others. What made Suho special was that he slowly evolved. His curiosity made him discover (well re-discover) the emotions of people. He began to let people in and opened himself up. Suho secretly craved human interaction even though he felt it was unneccesary. By letting Kai stay with him, he got to better understand the lives of the people he was killing. As someone who was locked up for so long, the rush of emotions became something he feared. Suho finally gave up and decided to die for the sake of Ji Hyun, who made him question his beliefs. He had become tired of staying behind. What Suho wanted was a taste of freedom.

Random:

Well, I guess this is the end. I really hope everyone was able to understand why I created this story as well. We should make our own happiness and better ourselves. Time doesn't stop for anyone. Live your life! Don't let anyone or anything stop you and accomplishing what you want. Time goes on. Life goes on. You just need to make the best of what you have.

Farewell to all of you! I hope to see you soon :D