Hoping

The Time Keeper

"Where am I? Who are you?"

Suho stared wordlessly at Kai, noticing the blood stains that were on his clothes. He sat back down and motioned for Kai to sit down as well. Suho glanced at the panel and sighed.

Orange. Kai was still holding on.

"You're dead." Suho began. "Well, technically, you're still alive. But it won't last long."

"So I'm going to die?"

"Maybe." Suho shrugged. "I haven't decided yet."

"Decided?" Kai cleared his throat. "You decide if I die or not?"

Suho nodded his head and smiled. "That's the idea."

"Who are you?" Kai narrowed his eyes. "What gives you the right to to decide?"

"Because it's my job." Suho smirked. "It's been my job ever since I can remember."

Kai looked around the room before sitting on the small chair in front of Suho's bed. He stared wordlessly as Suho sat back down. Suho looked up before looking at the large clock.

"What happens now?" Kai asked. "What happens to me?"

"You end up dying." 

"Is that it?"

Suho turned to face Kai and slowly nodded. He looked down to see Kai's shoulders slump, his eyes on the ground. Suho extended his hand and patted Kai's shoulder before pulling away. Kai took a deep breath and covered his face, his body trembling.

"I die." Kai whispered. "That's the way it ends."

"I had no other choice."

"What do you mean?" Kai looked up. "What other choice was there?"

Suho stood up and began to pace. "There are many different versions of love. I learned that now. I spent all this time hiding yet it wasn't enough." He turned back to face Kai. "She somehow changed the way I see things."

"Who?"

"Ji Hyun-ssi."

"What about her?" Kai pleaded. "What did you do to her?"

"I saved her." Suho smiled. "I took you instead."

Kai blinked and shook his head. He wrapped his arms around himself and began to rock back and forth. Suho reached inside his pocket and handed him a handkerchief.

"Life doesn't turn out the way you expect it will. There are rules I have to follow. There are lives I had to take."

"Will she be safe?" Kai murmured. "Will she end up living?"

"She will." Suho whispered. "She'll live a long and happy life."

"That's all I ask. That's all I can ask."

"Would you like to say goodbye?"

Kai chuckled softly and nodded. "Is that supposed to be a present?"

"It's the only thing I can give you." Suho sighed. "The last thing I can do."

"Thank you."


"So does he like me?"

"I don't know. Maybe?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

Baekhyun moaned and rested his head on your lap. He began to fidget as you stretched your arms. You looked down to see him murmuring to himself, panic in his voice.

"I should have brought something." Baekhyun sighed. "He hates me now. I can tell."

"Appa doesn't hate you." You insisted. "As long as we're together, he'll treat you like his best friend."

"Are you sure?"

"Of course."

You patted Baekhyun's hand before turning to watch the TV. He kept trying to get your attention before finally giving up. Baekhyun settled himself with holding your hand as you sang along to the music playing.

"I'm hungry."

"Then get some food." You rolled your eyes. "Want me to feed you too?"

"Can you?"

Baekhyun snorted as you smacked his arm. He stood up and grabbed his jacket before facing you. You patted your stomach and pouted as you pretended to cry. Baekhyun rolled his eyes before smiling, knowing you were hungry too.

"I'll be back." He winked. "Don't miss me too much."

"Okay." You snorted. "I won't."

Baekhyun headed out the door and towards the elevator. He reached into his pocket and called Kris to order some food. He winced when he heard Chanye0l in the background, screaming Baekhyun's name.

"What does she want?" Kris asked.

"I'm sure anything to do with meat." Baekhyun replied. "Do you want me to get it or can you come over?"

"I can go. I can't be in the same room with Chanyeol for much longer."

"Thanks. I appreciate it."

"Of course." Kris laughed. "I need to please my sister-in-law."

"Yah!" Baekhyun blushed. "That's not funny."

"I'm not trying to be funny."

"Ji Hyun and Baekhyun sitting in a tree!" Chanyeol's voice was loud in the background. "K-I-S-S-I-N-G! First comes love, then-"

"Yah!" Kris screamed. "You're hurting my ears!"

Baekhyun quickly hung up before they could get him involved. "Aish. I really need to tape Chanyeol's mouth."

He turned back towards the hospital when he heard screaming coming from the E.R. Baekhyun felt some pull and he decided to check it out. He didn't understand why he needed to go. It was almost as if something or someone was forcing him to. His eyes landed on a small group of doctor's working on a blood stained man. He watched as they ripped his shirt and began to use the defibrillator. Baekhyun's eyes snapped wide open when he noticed the man's face. 

"He doesn't have much time." One of the doctor's said. "There's too much blood."

"What should we do?" Another asked. "We have to wait for the guardian to come."

"I don't think he has much time." He replied. "It would be too late."

Baekhyun stepped forwards and walked towards the bed. He grabbed his hand and nodded at the doctor's before watching them leave. Without thinking, Baekhyun's fingers brushed the small scars on his face.

"Jongin-ssi?" Baekhyun whispered.

"Baekhyun-ssi?" Kai gasped. "I don't have much time."

"What happened?"

"I was in a car accident." Kai smiled. "I'm dying."

"Don't say that." Baekhyun insisted. "You can still make it."

"No. I'm going to die soon. I know it."

"I need to bring Ji Hyun." Baekhyun stood up. "She needs to see you."

Kai reached out and grabbed Baekhyun's hand, pulling him back. He began to cough as he struggled to breathe, his eyes threatening to close shut at any moment. Kai squeezed his hand and forced Baekhyun to sit back down.

"It was good talking to you." Kai snickered. "I'm going to miss it, even when it wasn't that long."

"I'm sorry."

"Can you tell elephant Ji something for me?"

"What is it?"

Kai closed his eyes to stop his tears from falling. "To not forget me. And to be happy."

"I will." Baekhyun felt tears prick his eyes. "I'll tell her that."

"Good." Kai closed his eyes and nodded. "Or else I would have to come back and haunt you."

"I'll make sure that doesn't happen."

"I'm scared."

"Me too." Baekhyun looked away. "I'm scared too."

"You should go now." Kai opened his eyes. "You should be with her."

"I can stay."

Kai shook his head and let go of Baekhyun's hand. He looked up at the ceiling and felt his tears fall once he heard his footsteps fade away. It was only a matter of time. Kai was going to wait for a bit longer. He needed to stay alive for just a few more moments.

"That's right." Kai whispered. "I'd rather love someone I can't have than to have someone I can't love."

He forced himself to keep his eyes open even though he was so weak. Kai wasn't going to give up so easily, he wasn't going to fade away. He kept breathing and praying. Kai looked up and saw a familiar figure looking back at him, soft eyes staring back.

"Just a bit more. Please."

"Okay." He whispered. "Just for a bit more."