Identical

The Time Keeper

"Channie!"

"Hyeongsu!"

You looked up to see Chanyeol and Kris standing by the door, food in their hands. Chanyeol rushed over and made you scoot over on the bed so that he was sitting in front of you. Kris, on the other hand, grabbed Chanyeol's ears and tried to get him off but you made him stop. You swiftly grabbed Kris's hands and made him sit in the chair in front of you.

"Kris oppa." You scolded. "You shouldn't treat Channie that way."

"Yeah." Chanyeol interjected. "You shouldn't treat me that way."

"I wouldn't treat you that way if you didn't act the way you did." Kris snapped. "You're such a little kid."

"Let's not fight." You smiled. "Huh?"

"Fine." Chanyeol agreed. "There's no point in discussing this any further."

"I'm glad." Kris snorted.

Kris quickly set out the food and began to eat, making sure Chanyeol didn't bother you as well. You kept glancing at the door before turning back to the food. Chanyeol noticed your expression and pulled out his phone before handing it to you.

"Call Baek if you want."

"Thank you."

You dialed Baekhyun's number before hanging up. He stood by the doorway, his eyes locked on your face before stepping forwards. Baekhyun smiled at you before holding out his hand. He motioned for Kris and Chanyeol to leave the room before facing you again. You stared at him and noticed the beads of tears that were forming. Shaking, you began to wipe them away.

"Baekkie." You murmured. "What's wrong?"

"I need to tell you something important." Baekhyun whispered. "I need you to stay calm."

"What is it?" You began to panic. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

Baekhyun shook his head and gripped your hand tightly before letting go. He shifted his body towards the window and took a deep breath before speaking. You tilted closer to Baekhyun and rested your head on his shoulder, grabbing his hand as well.

"I'm not hurt." He mumbled. "Jongin-ssi...he's dea- I mean- he's dying."

"Who?" You snorted. "Oppa is coming over. He should be here any moment."

"No, he's not. He got into a car accident."

"When?"

Baekhyun glanced towards you and wiped away his tears. He grabbed your hands and pulled you into his chest, brushing back your hair as he began to explain. You kept shaking your head and rocking back and forth.

"He was here before you woke up." Baekhyun sniffled. "Jongin-ssi found out about us and left."

"Oppa's dying?" You sobbed. "How? Why? Where is he?"

"He's down by the E.R."

"I need to see him." You stood up. "I need to see oppa."

You grabbed your sweater and began to walk out the door. Baekhyun grabbed your hand and forced you back but you pushed him away. Ignoring the pain in your chest, you ran towards the elevator before getting off. Padding along without shoes, you stared wide eyed at the entrance to the E.R. You kept shaking your head as you wrapped your arms around yourself. You walked inside and looked around before your eyes landed on a familiar figure.

"Oppa?"

Kai's body stood still in the stiff bed. His face was calm and serene even with the blood stains that covered it. There was an oxygen mask on his face and his hands were folded neatly on his lap, the white sheet stained red. You reached out and touched his hand, gasping when you felt how cold they were. You turned around when you felt someone grab onto your arm, pulling you back slowly.

"Oppa is just sleeping." You shook your head. "He'll wake up soon."

"I don't think he will." Baekhyun whispered. "It's too late."

"He's still breathing." You snapped. "How can he be dead when he's still breathing!?"

Just as Baekhyun was about to speak, a doctor spoke up. You turned to face him and stared into his tired eyes. He bowed slightly before turning back to look at Kai.

"Are you his guardian?"

"I'm his..." You trailed off.

"She's her fiancée." Baekhyun interrupted. "She would like to know what's going on."

"Ah, yes." The doctor bowed. "Mr. Kim was in an accident."

"And?" You asked. "What does that mean?"

"Mr. Kim is in a coma." The doctor murmured. "His body is still functioning but we don't know if he will ever wake up. There's too much damage to his body."

"So that's it?" You murmured. "He's going to die?"

"I'm sorry."

Baekhyun wrapped his arms tightly around your waist, resting his head on top of yours. You began to cry into his chest before smacking him, his grip on you tightening even more. He pulled away to look at your face before wiping away your tears with his fingers.

"He's not dead yet." Baekhyun murmured. "There's still a chance."

"Did he say anything?" You lo0ked up. "You talked to him last, right?"

"Yeah. I did."

"What did he say? Baekkie, please tell me."

"To not forget him." Baekhyun closed his eyes. "And to be happy."

"He would say that." You chuckled through your tears. "Oppa would say something like that."

"You need to go back upstairs. You need to rest."

"I can't leave him alone." You shook your head. "I can't leave him like this."

Baekhyun slowly nodded and kissed you on the forehead. "I'll stay with him."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." Baekhyun smiled. "Don't worry."

"Thank you."

"Of course."


"What's your name?"

"Why do you want to know?"

Kai shrugged and sat down on the chair. He turned to face the large panel that dominated the room. His eyes landed on the large clock that hovered over the panel. The panel was completely lit with green switches. 

"What do you do?" Kai looked up. "What's your job?"

"I decide the fate of others." Suho replied. "I decide what to do."

"How long?"

"What do you mean?"

"How long have you been doing this?" Kai repeated. 

Suho looked up from his clipboard. "I don't know." He whispered. "I can't remember."

"So it's been a while, huh?"

"You can say that." Suho nodded. "It's been a while."

"So what happens now?" Kai looked around. "What happens to me?"

"Well you disappear." Suho shrugged. "Or you can stay."

"With you?"

"Yeah." Suho chuckled. "No one's ever chosen that option."

"Why not?" Kai narrowed his eyes.

"Because I never let them."

"So why are you giving me the chance?"

Suho looked up and turned towards Kai, a small smile on his face. He walked over to the panel and stared at the flickering orange switch. Suho turned around and simply shrugged.

"Because you and I are a lot alike."

"How?" Kai asked. 

"You and I wait." Suho looked at the floor. "We've always waited."


'To not forget him. And to be happy.'

You opened your eyes and stared blankly at the ceiling. It was night-time and Baekhyun still hadn't returned. You closed them again and began to count before giving up. It was as if the room was slowly shrinking, making you crawl into a tighter ball as you sat up. The room was quiet except for your muffled sobs.

"Oppa's going to be alright." You murmured. "He has to."

You stood up and glanced at the full moon. The room had gotten cold and you began to shiver, slipping into your sweater. There was a knock on the door and you turned to see Baekhyun staring at you. His eyes locked on your own and glistened slightly from the moon's light. He stepped forwards and you crashed into his chest.

"His father came." Baekhyun whispered. "He told me to tell you he will visit soon."

"Is Ahjusshi okay?"

"I'm not sure."

"I'm sorry."

"For what?" Baekhyun caressed your face. "Why are you sorry?"

"Because I made you stay." You whispered. "I made you stay with him."

"I wanted to."

Baekhyun grabbed your hand and pulled you towards the bed. He covered you with the blanket and ran his fingers through your hair. You closed your eyes as he began to sing, his voice gentle. Baekhyun waited until you fell asleep before standing up. He quickly wrote a note before heading home. You began to fidget before you heard a quiet voice make its way towards you.

'If you ever change your mind, just close your eyes and whisper my name.'

"Joon Myeon." You sat up. "Kim Joon Myeon."


(Author's Note)

Again I am so sorry for the slow updates. Something came up and school has been screwing me over lately. Don't forget to leave a comment and VOTE UP! *Warning. A small rant ahead* Okay, I understand that I may not be the best writer and that my stories may lack in some way but to actually say something so rude and disrespectful to me is just too much. I won't say who it is but you know who you are. I get it. My stories and I am a terrible writer. I don't need you to say such horrible things to make yourself feel better. I write my stories to motivate me in life and to make me feel good about myself. So to be that rude is just something I can't fathom. I may not be popular as other writers and my stories aren't that great but I write for the loyal readers and commenters (yes, even you silent readers). So for the last time, I will be forgiving and ignore you. I won't stoop down to your level.