Before I Die

The Time Keeper

"And if you're ever feeling lonely just look at the moon. Someone, somewhere is looking right at it too."


"Joon Myeon-ssi."

Suho stiffened when he heard the dark voice calling his name out. His fingers trembled slightly as he set down his clipboard before turning around. His eyes landed on the orange switch that still flickered, threatening to go red at any moment. Suho looked up and smiled as he scanned your face. Your eyes penetrated his with anger and sadness, your tears threatening to fall.

"You came back?"

"Why did you do it?"

"Do what?" Suho innocently asked. "What did I do?"

"Who gave you the right to make that decision?" You snapped. "Who gave you the right to take oppa away from me?"

"You did." Suho whispered.

"What?"

Suho turned back to the panel and pointed at a green switch as he faced you. You stepped forwards and glanced at the various switches before looking at the one Suho was pointing at.

"What's this?"

"It's you." Suho smiled. "It's your switch."

"Switch?" You muttered. "I have a switch?"

Suho simply nodded and smiled as he grabbed your hand. He forced you to sit down and turned to face the clock. You grabbed onto his hand and made him sit down in front of you as well.

"It determines when you will die. Everyone has one: Baekhyun, Kai and you. Once a person is dead, someone is born. That's the way it works out." Suho shrugged. "A life for a life."

"Why did you take Kai's?" You cried. "Whose life is more important than his!?"

"Do you really want to know?" Suho looked away. "Is it that important to know?"

"Tell me who it is. Please."

Suho rose to his feet and began to pace. He ran his fingers through his hair as he muttered to himself. Every once in a while he would glance at the panel before staring at you. His voice became urgent as he fell onto the bed.

"A life for a life. It's always a life for a life."

"Please tell me." You grabbed his hand. "Why is he dying?"

"Because he'll end up saving Baekhyun." Suho murmured. "Kai will give you Baekhyun. He will give Baekhyun his heart."

A loud cry escaped your lips as you stood up. Suho looked up to see tears running down your face as you fell to the floor. Wrapping your arms tightly, you rocked back and forth.

"That's not true." You sobbed. "Baekkie is fine. Baekkie isn't hurt."

"He will be." Suho remorsed. "Baekhyun would have died if I didn't do anything about it."

"What's wrong with him?" You snatched Suho's hand. "What's going to happen to Baekkie? Why is he going to die?"

"The same thing that happened to you. His heart will give out." Suho brushed back your hair. "But worse. The pain will end up killing him."

"No." You shook your head. "You're lying."

"It was the only way for you to be with Baekhyun-ssi. It was the only way I could save him." Suho slipped his hand out of your grasp. "You were able to see him. You were the one that chose this."

"No I didn't!" You screamed. "This isn't what I wanted!"

Suho watched as you ran over to the panel. His eyes grew wide as you snatched the chair and slammed it against the panel. Your screams pierced the air as you clawed at the switches. Suho seized your hand and pulled you away. You turned back to see the panel still intact, not even a scratch was made. Suho secured his arms around you and forced you to look at him.

"This was the only way!" Suho yelled. "This was the only thing I could have done!"

"What would you know!?" You thrashed in his arms. "You are nothing but a monster."

Suho's eyes flashed as he dropped his arms. You landed roughly on the ground as Suho's hands clenched tightly together. He turned his back and sat down on the ground, his body quivering.

"You don't understand." Suho murmured. "You will never understand what it feels." He covered his face with his hands as he took a deep breath. "I probably had parents, siblings and a lover once. I can't remember anything of who I used to be. I don't have anyone unlike you."  Suho's voice began to shake. "Who are you to question what I do?" Suho looked up at you. "Who are you to judge who I am? I gave you a chance. I broke my own rules to help you."

"Then why do you do it?" You whispered. 

"Because I was chosen." Suho chuckled. "I ended up staying for just a little bit longer."

You looked down at your hands before slipping off the necklace that you were wearing. The diamond sparkled under the light as you slipped it into Suho's hand. You wrapped your arms around your waist as you began to sing. Your voice cracked as tears dripped down your face.

'My goddess, oh, who looks as though she lives inside a myth
I fight past the time to find you
I’ve never believed in things that are forever
If I may reach you whom I’ve been wanting so desperately
'

 

"That's the only thing I have from him." You whimpered. "That's the only thing I will remember him by."

"What do you mean?" Suho looked down at the necklace in his hand. "What are you trying to say?"

"Take me." You smiled. "Take me instead."


Kai stared at the water in wonder. His fingers squeezed the small rock in his hand before he threw it into the water. The stone skipped before sinking into the water. Kai reached down to grab another one before sitting down on the grass. The cold breeze ruffled his hair slightly as he began to pull the grassroots. He shivered into his jacket and hugged his knees. Kai smiled when he heard the familiar laughter of children.

"This is what it feels like." Kai chuckled. "Freedom."

He looked at the dark blue water that filled the Han River. The day passed by slowly as he waited for Suho to arrive. Kai shook his head in amazement when he realized he looked forward to seeing him. There was an almost peaceful feeling inside of him. He wasn't afraid of going back, he strangely missed it. Kai didn't need to go to work or struggle to please anyone. He could do what he wanted. Kai could live his life- well his new way of living- the way he wanted it to. He didn't have to be in pain for loving anyone. He didn't have to get hurt anymore.

"Should I stay?" He murmured. "Should I give up?"

Kai stood up and walked towards a nearby park. The tall trees blocked the sunlight and drew shadows over Kai's body. He sat down on a bench and scutinized the people who walked by. Unlike him, the looks on their faces were serene and gentle. Couples, children and older adults filled the pathway. Kai stared at his slender fingers as he sighed. He heard a voice nearby and observed a young girl sitting in the bench in front of him. Her long dark hair covered her face and her long gentle fingers flipped a page of the book she was reading. She glanced up, her eyes looking through Kai. He stared at her as she walked away.

"Ji Hyun." Kai whispered. "One more time. Just one last time."


Baekhyun's fingers delicately brushed your cheeks as he hummed softly. He grabbed the blanket and covered you up as he rested his head in your lap. Your body had become cold and he shivered when his skin touched your hand. Baekhyun reached out and touched your wrists, your heartbeat slow and weak. His eyes had become tired as well as his body. Baekhyun refused to let you out of his sight and had remained with you. Every now and then, he would kiss you on the forehead as he caressed your face. 

"I'll wait." He murmured. "I don't mind waiting."

He reached inside his pocket and pulled out a small box. Baekhyun glanced at your hand and slipped the small ring onto your left finger, the tiny diamond shined under the dim light. He slipped inside the bed and wrapped his arms around your cool body. Baekhyun rested his head on your shoulder and smiled softly.

"I'll get you another one." He whimpered. "I'll get you a bigger one when you wake up."


Tick Tock.

Tick Tock.

Tick Tock.

The large clock kept ringing, the once soft background noise that soothed him now irritated Suho. He crouched down to grab the clipboard off the floor and began to scratch out names. His voice was monotone and quiet as he called out numbers.

"352 died, 219 born."

He glanced down to stare at his wristwatch. The hands had stopped moving and the ticking noise slowly disappeared. Suho began to tap it and ripped it off when he realized it had stopped working. He set aside the clipboard and sat down.

"I'm not scared anymore. Because I know that in the end, fate will  either bring us together or bring us something better."

"For every life lost, one is born." Suho murmured. "For every life born, one is lost."

Suho opened his eyes and glanced at the panel. His eyes landed on the three switches he had spent his time on. It was as if those three switches hypnotized him in some way. His eyes gravitated towards them without hesitation, without fear, without anger. 

"Three green switches." He smiled. "Three green switches."

His eyes flickered towards the large door when it began to creak open. A figure stepped out and stared back at Suho. His hands were clenched tightly by his sides as he walked closer to him.

"I've been expecting you." Suho sighed. "I waited a long time."


"Don't struggle too much. Take your time."

"I'm fine. I swear."

"I don't trust you."

"I'm not lying." Kai chuckled. "I just have a small headache."

Mr. Kim stared incredulously as Kai sat up in his bed. He reached out and felt his forehead. Kai frowned in annoyance and stretched his arms out. He glanced around the room before examining his hands. Kai began to laugh as he hugged his father, slowly wiping away the tears that fell. 

"Why are you laughing?"

"Just because."

"Because why?"

"Because I came back." Kai smiled. "I didn't end up staying."


"Baek? What are you doing?"

"He's squeezing her to death?"

"Isn't she hot?"

"Yah!" 

Baekhyun sat up and rubbed his eyes before stretching. He turned to see Chanyeol and Kris staring at him in confusion. Chanyeol began to smile mischiveously as he stepped closer. Kris rolled his eyes and began to set up the food that they had brought.

"What were you doing all night?" Chanyeol winked. "Nothing too exhausting right?"

"What are you talking about?" Baekhyun groaned. "Why do you have to be so immature."

"That's just how I am."

"Yeah. That's just how Channie is."

Baekhyun's eyes grew wide when he heard the familiar voice speak. He turned to see you smiling at him, your eyes turned into a crescent moon. Baekhyun pulled you into his arms and ran his fingers through your as he hugged you. You could feel his heart racing against your chest and you pulled away. He stared at you in surprise as you began to smack him. Baekhyun reached out to wipe away your tears before you shoved him away.

"What's wrong?" He asked. "Why are you hitting me!?"

"You are in huge trouble!" You screamed. "I will kill you myself!"

"What!? Why!?"

"Because I almost lost you!" You sobbed. "Because you almost left me."

Baekhyun reached out and grabbed your hand. He began to play with your fingers and smiled when you gasped in shock. He looked up to see tears in your eyes before wiping them away gently.

"Will you?"

"Yes." You nodded. "I will."

"Thank you." Baekhyun whispered. "Song Song."

"Thank you Baekkie."

"I love you."

"I love you too."


(Boogerbrain95 Says;)

Well this is the end of my story. I would like to thank everyone who commented, subscribed and upvoted. I'm really surprised that I managed to stick with this story considering how I am. If you would like, I can make an epilogue for the story. I might post up something that deals with the story such as themes, characters and analysis. Like I said, thank you so much. So now do your job! Comment and Upvote! I love you all and I bid you farewell :D