Once Again

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 8

Yah Himchan!” Yongguk exclaimed as soon as he was out the door. Himchan was making his way back to the car. He turned around to face his best friend. “What's the matter with you? You don't just leave abruptly like that,” Yongguk said as soon as he caught up to him.

 

Himchan sighed. “Look, it's nothing, Yongguk. Don't worry about it,” he said. “Besides, those girls were boring anyways.”

 

Yongguk could only look at his friend in confusion. “There's something off about you right now,” he pointed out. “I'm your best friend. You know you can talk to me.”

 

I told you not to worry about it,” Himchan finally said. “I should really get going. I'll see you tomorrow.” He got into his car and drove off leaving Yongguk speechless.

 

Himchan, in turn, took a brief glance at his best friend's shrinking figure as he drove away. Sighing, he found himself glancing back at his phone then back at the road. The message immediately came to mind as he floored the gas pedal, speeding up. Even though Himchan was not one to keep secrets, no one was to know about his secret, not even his own best friend. My room is number 217. Don't be late. I'll be expecting you.

 

Later that night, Yongguk was awake staring at the ceiling. Himchan's sudden shift in behavior earlier was enough to leave him bothered. “Something's up,” he said to no one in particular. “I know it.”

 

Sitting up, he his bedside lamp and opened the drawer to his nightstand, where her journal was stashed. He was pretty sure the girl he saw that day was the same girl but decided not to think much of it. Opening the journal once again, he picked up from where he left off. Reading it every night was enough to keep his mind at ease. It seemed as if “Annie” knew all the right things to say. She knew how to solve problems no matter how difficult they are. He smiled to himself as he continued to learn more about this interesting character.


 

As soon as she was out of the shower and got dressed, Annie resorted to looking around the living room searching through the cushions and under the couch. Lucy entered the room and froze. “What do you think you're doing?” she asked furrowing her eyebrows.

 

Annie looked up. “I'm looking for something, what does it look like I'm doing?” she barked back then resumed her search.

 

What is it you're looking for?” Lucy asked, annoyed.

 

My journal,” Annie answered sighing in frustration. “I can't seem to find it. Have you seen it?”

 

Lucy shook her head. “Nope, sorry,” she said, “Did you check my room?”

 

Already did, no luck,” Annie settled onto the couch. “Where the hell could it be? It can't just get up and walk away.”

 

Maybe you dropped it or something,” Lucy said joining Annie on the couch. Annie gave Lucy a look. In turn, she immediately looked away and shrugged. “Just thought I'd put it out there.”

 

Annie sighed and leaned back into the cushion and placing her seat on the coffee table gazing at the ceiling. Lucy made a point. What if she did drop it somewhere? Someone else would have gotten it by now. She felt ashamed knowing someone might have it. Now that person knows her most inner thoughts. It was an embarrassing thought to think about. Her eyes soon widened then she sat up garnering Lucy's attention. “What is it?” she asked looking at Annie in confusion.

 

Maybe you're right,” Annie pointed out thinking back to that stranger she met when she was late to work.

 

Right about what?”

 

My journal,” she said. “I must have dropped it when I was running late that one time. You remember, right? It was Zelo's first day that day.”

 

Right,” Lucy nodded in agreement. “Do you think he has it?”

 

I think so,” Annie said leaning back against the couch. “It not knowing anything.” She groaned in frustration rubbing her temples with her hand.

 

So what are you gonna do?”

 

Annie shrugged. “I don't know,” she honestly answered. “Hope it'll turn up soon? I may as well get another one and start anew.”

 

That's not such a bad idea,” Lucy agreed. “What did you write in the other one anyways?”

 

Just a bunch of unimportant stuff,” Annie answered nonchalantly.

 

Oh I see,” Lucy finally said. “I was always wondering what you're always writing about anyways.” She shifted her attention to the TV.

 

Annie grew weary because she tended to write when she was feeling down and the fact that someone would now about her thoughts, made her uncomfortable. Nevertheless, she would try to remain unfazed as much as possible. So what, if a stranger had her journal? He must have thrown it out by now knowing how much of a bore she was. It's not like she wrote anything interesting and it's not like they would ever meet again. He may have already forgotten about her.

 

For some reason, she thought back to the guy she encountered earlier in the elevator. She didn't even bother to look his way since she was too dazed to notice. He sure had a staring problem which she found to be annoying. It was like his eyes could bore a hole into her body and it made her feel so small. She was way out of her league leaving a posh building for wealthy residents. What? Did they expect her to look and dress just like them? Of course not! Instead, she was stuck walking around with a giant coffee stain and her hair was a mess. Thinking about that guy staring back at her in the elevator irritated her to no end. What was he staring at? He looks like he's never seen a girl look so tired before.

 

And the way he replied with, “I understand,” with his deep and husky voice made tempted her to go off on him saying he doesn't understand anything. What did he know? He lives amongst the upper class, he doesn't have to worry about money. But then, due to exhaustion, she chose to keep shut. She did not want to waste her breath.


 

It was a beautiful day out at the park and one of Daniel's classmates was having a birthday party. Of course, Annie was thrown onto the sidelines with the other nannies. She took to bonding with a few of the other ones while the other ones had snotty personalities like the one she replaced. Of course when they were all alone, Annie observed as they all vented about how tiring their jobs were. Once the attention shifted over to Annie, she froze. “So you're Madam Shin's new nanny?” one asked raising an eyebrow. Annie nodded. “Well, welcome to the world of child-rearing, sweetheart. Let's hope Daniel doesn't lose another one.”

 

Annie's eyes widened. “What do you mean?”

 

Oh you didn't know? You're the tenth nanny she's hired,” another one chimed in.

 

Really?” she asked curiously glancing around.

 

Yeah,” they nodded. “Poor Danny's had a bunch of nannies walk out on their jobs. Then we heard about the last one, yeah, she deserved to get fired. She was a complete .” She spat out bitterly. “I mean look, honey, just because you work for one of the wealthiest people doesn't mean you should let it go to your head. She didn't seem to care about her job all that much and she was constantly trying to hit on the other wealthy men neglecting her job to watch over Danny.”

 

Annie slowly nodded in understanding as she took in this bit of information. Despite not knowing Daniel's last nanny, Annie could immediately read into her behavior right when she met her. She glanced back at the little boy who was busy watching the puppet show with the other children. “So I heard through the grapevine that Madam Shin hired you on a whim? Is that correct, Annie?” a voice asked therefore waking her from her trance.

 

Funny story, actually,” Annie chuckled nervously. “I was at a park and Danny was running my way and some skateboarder was about to run him over until I jumped in to save him from getting hurt. I actually witnessed the last nanny getting fired and that was when Madam Shin hired me on the spot. No interview was necessary.” She finally said taking a sip of her water.

 

The others gaped at her in astonishment. “Talk about a lucky day,” one finally remarked.

 

Annie chuckled in return. And soon she was approached by Daniel. “Hey handsome,” she smiled leaning down to his level. “What's up?”

 

I need to use the bathroom, Nanny,” he said.

 

Okay, sure thing, little man,” she nodded taking his hand in hers then turning to the other nannies she said, “Please, excuse me. I'll be right back.”

 

As she waited outside of the bathroom for Daniel, a familiar figure caught her attention. He seemed to not notice her as he was gathering his equipment. As soon has he turned in her direction, Annie realized it was Himchan. Her eyes widened as she looked away pretending to pay attention to anything other than the guy making his way towards her. What was taking Daniel so long? She panicked as she tapped her foot impatiently against the hardwood floor. Turning around, she was about to knock until someone tapped her shoulder. “Is there anyone in there?” a voice slightly startled her.

 

Her eyes met his and she gasped then looked away hoping he didn't recognize her. “Uh yes, there is,” she said then finally knocked on the door.

 

Danny, are you almost done in there?” she finally asked trying to remain composed.

 

I'm taking a crap, Nanny!” he called out from inside.

 

Well, hurry it up because there are other people waiting to use it too!” she exclaimed irritably. “And who taught you to say that?!”

 

I hear you say it all the time, Nanny,” he retorted back which prompted Himchan to snicker. Annie glared at the handsome guy. “I'm almost done.”

 

Observing the exchange, Himchan looked at the girl in amusement as she crossed her arms to face him. “I'm sorry about this,” she said chuckling nervously. “He ate a little too much ice cream.”

 

It's okay,” he assured her. Once he got a closer look at her, he furrowed his eyebrows. “I know this sounds kind of crazy but have we met before?”

 

Of course not!” she exclaimed immediately looking away from him.

 

I swore I've seen you somewhere before,” he said staring off into space momentarily.

 

Well, you must have mistaken me for someone else,” she told him hoping Daniel finished so she can avoid him.

 

Soon, Daniel opened the door and looked up at Himchan then beamed. “Hi, Himchannie hyung!” he exclaimed. “What are you doing here?”

 

Oh hey, Danny!” Himchan leaned down to ruffle the boy's hair playfully. “I'm here because your mom asked me to teach you and the others about Gukak. Are you excited about it?”

 

The boy tilted his head in confusion clearly not knowing what the older gentleman was talking about but nodded anyways. It was now Annie's turn to snicker. Himchan glanced at her. “Hyung, have you met my pretty nanny?” the boy finally asked grabbing onto Annie's hand. “I hear you like pretty girls.”

 

Wow, you have a good memory, little man,” he chuckled turning to Annie. “Nice to meet you, I'm Himchan.” Annie nodded in return then looking down.

 

Her name is Annie,” Daniel said matter of factly.

 

Danny!” she grumbled glaring down at the little boy. “Let's go back to the party, yeah?” She said as she held his hand to walk away.

 

Nice to meet you once again, Annie,” Himchan finally said.

 

Annie stopped briefly then glanced over her shoulder. “Likewise,” she muttered then retreated out into the backyard.


A/N: Hello again! Sorry for the boring update! This is like a filler chapter. I plan on working on the next update as we speak so enjoy this one! I'm gonna be busy for the next few days so please enjoy! XD

P.S. don't mind the minor grammar mistakes. I typed this without a lot of editing. I do plan on fixing it when I have more time.