The Scolding

The Undomestic Nanny

Chapter 26

Right. Himchan?” she turned to him once he began to drive off towards Daniel's apartment building.

 

He briefly glanced at her. “Hmm?” he hummed then focused on the road ahead.

 

What were you gonna ask me back there?” she asked curiously.

 

He eyed her curiously for a moment but shook his head as soon as he remembered. “It's really nothing,” he said finally. “Nothing important.”

 

She was convinced otherwise but decided to let it slide for now. “Oh... okay,” she said leaning back against the passenger seat. She then took out her phone to send Lucy a text message. Hey sorry for not sticking around longer... I had to leave. See you at home!

 

Lucy immediately replied: No worries! See you later. Love you! <3

 

Her phone chimed once again to alert her of a text message from Daehyun: Just wanted to check up on you. :)

 

We're on our way back atm... Thanks for the check-up! ^^

 

So... what happened with Himchan hyung?

 

Nothing... Why?

 

Just wondering... Nothing important.

 

Okay...?

 

New Message from Youngjae: Is everything okay? You look like you'd seen a ghost when you got back with Himchan hyung. Did he do something to make you feel uncomfortable? If so, let me know.

 

Annie shook her head. Little did she know, Himchan was observing her as he drove.

 

To: Daehyun and Youngjae. Nothing happened! Okay?! Miranda just called to check up on Danny and I thought it was a good idea to just head back before she becomes suspicious. Himchan had NOTHING to do with my discomfort. He's just my ride home! What the hell's the matter with you two?

 

Daehyun: Nothing...

 

Youngjae: We're just looking out for you.

 

Annie: Right... I'm onto the both of you.

 

Daehyun: One other thing... Yongguk hyung looked upset about something when he came back.

 

Annie: Did he now???

 

Daehyun: Yeah... O.o

 

Annie: Why is everyone acting weird?

 

Youngjae: Why are you acting weird?

 

Annie: Shut up, Jae! >:-o

 

Lucy: What the hell is wrong with DaeJae? Did something happen?

 

Annie: Nothing happened! They're just being a bunch of idiots. Look, I'll talk to you when I get home tonight, I shouldn't be on my phone while I'm working.

 

Annoyed at her best friends interrogations, she silenced her phone and shoved it into her bag impatiently. “Is everything okay?” Himchan asked clearing his throat.

 

Huh?” she looked up, her eyes meeting his. “Yep, everything's fine. I just have some very nosy friends, that's all.” her tone was matter-of-factly.

 

May I ask why they're so curious?” he asked inquisitively.

 

It's really nothing,” Annie answered. “Nothing that important.”

 

I see...” he finally said pulling into the front of the building. They both turned to glance back at Daniel, who was sound asleep during the trip home which explained the silence that ensued inside the car. Getting out of the driver's seat, Himchan lifted Daniel into his arms.

 

I can take it from here,” Annie said holding out her arms.

 

I've got him,” he assured her. “You're probably exhausted so allow me to carry him.”

 

Sighing, she caved. “If you insist,” she said leading him into the building.

 


Peering into the giant penthouse, Annie turned around and gave Himchan a thumbs up before going inside. The young man then followed suit carrying Daniel along the way. The coast was clear, for now. Her main priority was tucking Daniel into bed and then dealing with Miranda. “Right this way,” Annie pointed quietly opening the door to his room.

 

As soon as Himchan laid the four year old down, Annie straightened up his blanket and rearranged his pillows. Smiling down at the little figure, she sighed in relief. The little boy clearly looked like an angel when he was sound asleep. Himchan gave her a thumbs up. “Is everything good?” he asked softly.

 

Annie nodded. “Thank you,” she whispered then pointed out the door. “Let's go outside.”

 

Okay,” he nodded following close behind as she led him out the door, shutting it behind them.

 

Good thing he didn't wake up,” Annie finally said once they were out towards the living area.

 

I know,” Himchan chuckled. “That boy is one heavy sleeper.”

 

You know, he's a lot cuter when he's asleep,” she remarked.

 

Agreed,” he nodded in agreement.

 

Together, they burst into a fit of giggles but was stopped abruptly when someone cleared their throat. Himchan and Annie froze glancing at one another then turning towards the living room to find Miranda sitting on the couch sipping a glass of wine. She clearly did not look too happy to see them. Like students getting scolded by the principal, Himchan and Annie made their way to the living room, standing before Miranda, who in turn set her glass of wine down on the wooden coffee table.

 

Care to tell me where you've been all day today?” she asked finally giving Annie a hardened stare.

 

I figured I'd take Danny out for some fresh air,” Annie said, looking away from her. “I mean it's nice out so why not take him to the park or something? I hope you don't mind...” she rambled on then gave an awkward laugh.

 

Miranda then shifted her attention over to Himchan. “I'm guessing you brought Kim Himchan along with you? Is that correct? Last time I checked, your lesson with Daniel ended hours ago.” she said glancing down at her expensive designer watch. “Unless you decided to extend your lesson, which means I have to pay you extra?”

 

Don't worry about it,” he said finally turning to Annie. “Anyways, I should get going. See you around, Annie. Goodbye, Mrs. Shin.” He said before turning to leave.

 

Don't be late tomorrow, Himchan,” Miranda replied curtly. He stopped abruptly but continued out the door onwards. Soon, Miranda then shifted her attention over to Annie. “So? My son's piano teacher? Tell me, isn't he a little out of your league?”

 

Annie looked up at her employer incredulously. “I'm sorry?”

 

Is there something going on with you and Himchan?” she asked accusingly.

 

No!” Annie immediately shook her head. “There's nothing going on, Miranda! He's just a friend, that's all.”

 

A friend?” Miranda scoffed. “Since when do nannies have friends? You should focus on doing your job instead of associating yourself with people out of your league. I hope you don't disappoint me again, Nanny. You're dismissed for today.”

 

Yes, ma'am,” Annie nodded slowly then made her way out the door, shutting the door behind her in the process. As soon as she was out the door, she couldn't control herself from shaking so much. It was her first actual scolding from her employer and it was one unpleasant experience. Imagine if Miranda actually found out about where Annie had taken Daniel? Of course, she wouldn't be too happy.

 

Dazed, she stood and waited for the elevator doors to open. Still thinking about the even that transpired inside the penthouse earlier, she was oblivious to the doors finally opening to reveal an arrogant figure alongside his right hand, making their way to her. “Well, well, well, if it isn't my kid's nanny,” Mr. Shin's voice rang out slightly startling Annie.

 

Mr. Shin...” she uttered softly, then giving him a brief nod.

 

Sorry, kid, didn't mean to scare you,” he said with a chuckle.

 

I should get going,” she said briefly before pushing past him but he stopped her in time.

 

Wait a minute, what's the rush?” he asked wrapping his hand around her arm, turning her around to face him. Annie refused to meet his eyes. “You know, you should learn some manners, young lady. Didn't your mother teach you to greet your elders properly? Should I teach you a thing or two?”

 

Annie looked away from him refusing to speak. She had no time for this, she thought.

 

You should look at me when I speak to you,” he said impatiently. With his other hand, he tilted her chin to face him. “That's better,” he chuckled, “You know, I have to agree with my kid on this one. You sure are prettier up close.”

 

Please, let me go,” Annie said trying to shake him off but to no avail. His grip hardened. “You're hurting me.”

 

Maybe if you're a good girl, I'll take it easy on you,” he said with a smirk.

 

Mr. Shin,” she said pleadingly. “I should get going so I suggest you let me go. Please.”

 

Suddenly, a new figure cleared his throat interrupting the scene that was about to unfold. “I believe she asked you to let her go,” it was Yongguk. A dark expression was evident on his handsome face as he walked out to grab Annie by the wrist pulling her towards him.


A/N: Hello again! This chapter was a little sloppy on my part. So I apologize if you guys aren't satisfied with it T_T Anyways, the Shins are straight up s. I know... Annie is surely intimidated nevertheless. Enjoy! ^^